• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans overwhelmingly disapprove of Cruz not endorsing Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In contrast, positive views of Ted Cruz - who conspicuously did not endorse Donald Trump during his speech at the Republican Convention - have dropped precipitously among Republican voters. Now just 25 percent of Republican voters view Cruz favorably, down from 44 percent right before the convention. 49 percent of Republican voters view the Texas senator unfavorably, up from 25 percent.

Note that Donald Trump claimed that Ted Cruz cheated on his wife, that Rafael Cruz was faking his religion, that Heidi Cruz was ugly, that Heidi Cruz's mental illness in the past might be a campaign issue, and that Rafael Cruz killed JFK.

It's pretty sad when voters are more demanding that you get in line over personal concerns than career politicians and lawyers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-hi...-trump-tied-going-into-democratic-convention/

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He did the right thing. Republicans dont believe in doing the right thing. Sounds about right.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Of course they do.

There was no outcome of this where the Republican base approved of what he did at the time it happened. Cruz is gambling that Trump will fail and in a few years he will be viewed positively in hindsight.

On the other hand, if those 25% of republicans that still view Cruz favorably decided to stay at home / vote Hilary (one can dream) in November, it would actually be pretty awesome.

Fury451

Banned
Cruz not endorsing him is the only thing I know about Cruz that I like.

You don't mess with a person's family.

The gamble only works if Trump loses. If he does, Cruz gets that Told You So moment, not to mention a big spot in the candidacy for next election.

If Trump wins... Well they'll have bigger problems than Cruz.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is why I didn't buy that his speech was setting up his 2020 run. He's finished after this. Even when Trump loses Republicans aren't going to do some deep introspection and go "maybe Cruz was right after all". They're going to look for somebody to blame, and Cruz just shot to the top of the list.

Voters overwhelmingly driven by tribe mentality. Doesn't matter how shitty your nominee is, fuck anyone who doesn't wave the big foam finger and cheer for the home team.

HylianTom

Banned
The gamble only works if Trump loses. If he does, Cruz gets that Told You So moment, not to mention a big spot in the candidacy for next election.

What'll be funny is if Trump loses in a heartbreaker - let's say within a point or two. I could see Cruz taking a lot of blame, much like a significant portion of the GOP base still faults Chris Christie for hugging Obama in the Hurricane Sandy aftermath in 2012.

Almighty

This is why I didn't buy that his speech was setting up his 2020 run. He's finished after this. Even when Trump loses Republicans aren't going to do some deep introspection and go "maybe Cruz was right after all". They're going to look for somebody to blame, and Cruz just shot to the top of the list.

This is my guess what will happen as well. The republicans don't seem to be, as a whole, a group that does deep introspection. They didn't listen after 2008 and they sure as hell didn't listen after 2012. My money is they will do what they always did and claim they lost because Trump didn't have support from the party/establishment/whatever/whoever and Cruz is now probably at the top of that list.

studyguy

That's wholly dependent on whether or not the scorned RNC voters feel okay with voting for a guy who snubbed their opinion. I'm not entirely sure his campaign wouldn't be relegated to evangelical voters only due to his antics, but we'll see I suppose. Cruz getting sidelined in the future would not be a bad thing considering the policies he advocates.

I'd put some money down on Cruz becoming a scapegoat more than anything considering he's already a pariah on the hill.

Revolver

Voters overwhelmingly driven by tribe mentality. Doesn't matter how shitty your nominee is, fuck anyone who doesn't wave the big foam finger and cheer for the home team.

There was someone from the Texas delegation being interviewed that was outraged that Cruz put his family over his party. So yeah that's a thing.

RPGCrazied

I really can't believe Cruz of all people was the one to basically tell Trump to F off. Yet the others seem to out class him in sleaze. How is that possible?

I have a tinge of respect for Cruz, but don't get me wrong, I do not want to ever see him President.

Isn't Cruz the one who started that whole mess with the picture of Melania?

I think it was a Cruz super PAC that made that image. Trump thought it was Cruz's campaign that did, so Trump jumped the gun and started fighting back without checking to see if he was fighting the right person.

...of course, self-identifying Republicans are not going to have a favorable view of a guy not endorsing the official nominee and not working to elect a member of their own party for president.

Think of how much the positive vibes of Sanders tanked among Dem party apologists just for hanging on as long as he did. Imagine views among Dems if he did what Cruz did.

Lord Fagan

Dude has made a career of asking for trouble. Can't say I'm all that broken up about him getting exactly that. He's due for this kind of backlash from the party at large.

I respect Cruz for not supporting Trump, getting up in front of all those crazy right-wingers and saying, "Vote your conscience."

I'm also happy he committed political suicide because a level-headed bigot is more dangerous than a straight-up crazy bigot, when it comes to politics.

As strange as that sounds.

I think it was a Cruz super PAC that made that image. Trump thought it was Cruz's campaign that did, so Trump jumped the gun and started fighting back without checking to see if he was fighting the right person.

That's how his foreign policy will work, too––I'm sure.

Garlador

What's funny to me is, yes, Trump insulted his family, his wife, his father, and Ted Cruz himself right to his face...

... But that should really be the cherry on top. NO ONE should be standing behind a racist, misogynist, utterly insane ego-maniac with no understanding or respect for the law or human decency like Trump in the first place.

NimbusD

Voters that overwhelmingly support a candidate because he's non-establishment, in spite of so many negative aspects of his character, disapprove of a candidate who doesn't fall in line with establishment to protect his character.

Got it.

...of course, self-identifying Republicans are not going to have a favorable view of a guy not endorsing the official nominee and not working to elect a member of their own party for president.

Think of how much the positive vibes of Sanders tanked among Dem party apologists just for hanging on as long as he did. Imagine views among Dems if he did what Cruz did.

It's funny seeing this thread in conjunction with the Bernie or Bust protest thread. You can really see the partisan blinders in full effect

I mean they have to disapprove publicly. If they fell on the side of Cruz at this point it would make the party look like it is in shambles and that they themselves don't believe in their candidate so why should you. Not that it already isn't in shambles, but it would be much worse to approve of Cruz not endorsing Trump.

Jakoo

Republicans: The Party That Sticks To Their Principles Until They Encounter A Candidate That Sticks To Their Principles (tm)

PS that look on Cruz's face is the look you get when you constantly hammer an opponent on "taking an oath to support the eventual nominee, look, WE all signed it!" and then when he wins you realize you've signed your own political death warrant.

I thought Ted Cruz was the worst kind of republican, but I support him standing up for himself, I also now know there are far worse kinds of republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom