• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Voters now view NFL less favorably than Clinton voters do Fox News (NYT)

kirblar

This is wild. (h/t to @sangerkatz on twitter for the image clip) Definitely explains the ownership freak-out, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/11/upshot/trump-nfl-polarization.html

About three weeks ago — before President Trump said that N.F.L. owners should fire players who kneel during the national anthem — Democrats and Republicans held relatively similar views about the league. About 60 percent said they viewed it favorably, while about 20 percent said they viewed it unfavorably, according to daily online surveys conducted by Morning Consult, a polling, media and technology company.

Since Mr. Trump’s remarks, though, many of his supporters have changed their attitudes.

Trump voters are now much more likely to say that they view the N.F.L. negatively, reflecting a sharp change around Sept. 23, when Mr. Trump criticized the players at a speech in Alabama. The views of Hillary Clinton voters have not changed appreciably over the last few weeks.
Both Democrats and Republicans were more likely to report seeing negative news about the N.F.L. around the time of Mr. Trump’s remarks in Alabama and the protests that followed. But Trump voters were much more likely to do so, while respondents who said they voted for Mrs. Clinton were more mixed in the coverage they reported seeing.

One possibility is that the two groups are not reading the same kinds of articles, avoiding those they disagree with. Another is that people are simply taking different attitudes away from the same articles, tweets and Facebook posts.

The shifts are not limited to professional football. After LeBron James tweeted his support for Stephen Curry, whose invitation to the White House was rescinded by Mr. Trump (after Mr. Curry indicated he wouldn’t attend), the share of Trump voters who said they held very unfavorable views of Mr. James more than doubled, to 23 percent from 11 percent. For Clinton voters, the opposite was true: The event made them like Mr. James more.

DL4FkkrVwAA5MuE.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Do Trump fans have opinions of their own, or do they just mirror Dear Leader?

People who are capable of making reasonable, informed decisions on their own tend to not be Trump fans.

entremet

The ownership freak out is definitely about ratings, first and foremost. I never bought the NFL players as chattel argument, for this incidence specifically. It's all about the money.

That's not to say there are undertones here, but the NBA is also much more progressive and has banned the practice previously.

3N16MA

Banned
You can't have much of a brain if you support Trump. I'm guessing that most of these supporters are zombies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
God, it's got to be one of the biggest "popped up out of nowhere" cults in human history.

How the fuck do any of Trump's voters have a positive opinion, or any opinion at all, of his hotels lol

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
God, it's got to be one of the biggest "popped up out of nowhere" cults in human history.

How the fuck do any of Trump's voters have a positive opinion, or any opinion at all, of his hotels lol
It is

Trump voters dont fucking bend

They worship this man for inexplicable reasons

The word cult needs to be used regularly when discussing the Trump administration, the GOP, and anyone who supports them.
Labeling is a game both sides can play.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Do Trump fans have opinions of their own, or do they just mirror Dear Leader?
Judging by how many photos there are of white supremacist human garbage wearing khakis and white polo shirts...

No. They have no opinions of their own.

Shadybiz

But they'll still watch.

Yep. They'll bitch and moan about "their" flag being "disrespected"...but they'll keep coming back to the church of football...they don't have anything else to do. I mean...they're not spending their time reading, I'll tell you that much.

This was my thought.

"Weeeell, it's got his name on it! Must be good! "

Dyle

A little surprised to see Democrat support solid around 60% favorable, I would've expected it to be much lower than 5ish%. But will they view it favorably again if/when the NFL requires players to stand during the anthem? Regardless I'm sure that viewership numbers won't really change much, even if they don't like the league they'll still support their teams

kirblar

A little surprised to see Democrat support solid around 60% favorable, I would've expected it to be much lower than 5ish%. But will they view it favorably again if/when the NFL requires players to stand during the anthem? Regardless I'm sure that viewership numbers won't really change much, even if they don't like the league they'll still support their teams
They're at 38%, 62% is the margin of difference.

Maybe the NFL should align themselves more closely to the administration by highlighting how many current personnel are under investigation right now for sexual assault or domestic violence. That polls well.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's a cult of delusional racists who don't believe in democracy - in fact they believe in nothing but destruction - and we need to start labeling it as such at every possible opportunity.

Conservative boomers have to pretend they don't care about football. I don't think conservatives are capable of boycotting anything.

It is funny how long it took them to figure out a lot of black people play sports. Even funnier is seeing them and Trump fall ass backwards into the right thinking for the wrong reason to stop using tax money to fund gigantic stadiums.

jwk94

His supporters have always been there. They just never had a platform.

Top Bottom