• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Banned
You're talking about apples and oranges. People often (even accidentally) use this strawman in arguments.

The way I understand veganism (I was one for a year, now am a vegetarian) is that people who CAN choose to change their diet can do so in a healthy and ethically responsible manner, that benefits animals AND humans. Some people are unlucky enough to just make due with what they have and do NOT have that choice.

I've heard it all. Somebody's Trumper dad told me (after a few drinks) YOU WOULD EAT MEAT IF STRANDED ON AN ISLAND WITH ONLY CHICKEN. Well.. of course I would, because I'd HAVE to in order to survive. But that's not what veganism/vegetarianism is about.
But as long as you do not let the animal suffer gratuitously, who declared it "amoral" to eat animals, particularly raised for such a purpose?

As per the strawman argument, I see it all too often used by Vegans. I just wanted to poke at the sillyness of it.

"Well, would you eat other people?"

No.
Because people aren't animals.

This very same strawman argument has already been used in this very thread.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't done any research on the taste of human meat. I don't really care to look haha.

http://www.*****************/news/a...nitals-serves-paying-dinner-party-guests.html

Not the finest meal, apparently.

Edit: link not working. Was about man who served his genitalia at at restaurant.

Just a thought. Genuinely curious too, not just "for lolz".

What is Vegans' stance on animals eating animals?

Is that unethical as well?

I'm not even talking about carnivores, but omnivores, like bears. Should we be upset at bears (or others) when they vary their diet with some side meat?

Of course not. Bears don't herd other animals into small enclosures and force them to live there for their entire lives. When a bear eats meat, it hunted a free roaming animal. It didn't breed it in a factory.

I'd presume it's because we typically hold humans to a higher moral standard then animals

See above.

As a vegan, I oppose forcing animals to live under the conditions they mostly have to live under. I grew up on a small farm where we did really care for our animals, and no, that's not good enough either. Keep in mind, animals rarely have toilet. They're inside for most of the year, muck gets shoveled during the day. At night, they sleep in it.

Hunting for food I can't really find a huge issue with. Not much different than animals hunting for food.

KHarvey16

I'm not a vegan, but I imagine it's something like "Animals eat according to instinct. Humans can make a choice." And fairly enough - ethics is fundamentally about the exercise of choice and its relation to morality. Humans can choose to cultivate and consume non-animal food sources, and animals cannot.

As for this story... it is weird. There's a detachment involved with eating animals that seems directly opposed to literally saving them from death. Like, "Oh, hey, I saved this pig! I'm glad I did, because its meats are delicious!"

Honestly, not really. Hunters who kill animals to eat them are generally very morally opposed to causing the animal any suffering.

MogCakes

Just don't say things that are innacurate or blatantly stupid to support it, like somehow meat eaters would want to eat people if it was legal.
I think people are reading more into my comments than are actually there. I love me some bacon. I was speaking more to the attitudes expressed towards livestock. If deceased humans could be harvested as food and was legal, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of GAF (and people in general) in here would consume it without moral quandaries. That also isn't an attack on their character or person - it's an observation without any pedestals attached and is interesting to think about.

stupei

Hey guys, if you were stranded on an island with your friend, both starving, and your friend died, would you eat your friend?

I'm allergic to all fish and all nuts, particularly tree nuts, so I'm guaranteed to die in any desert island scenario that doesn't involve availability of local wildlife to hunt.

My friend should probably eat me before they die instead. I'm useless.

I think people are reading more into my comments than are actually there. I love me some bacon. I was speaking more to the attitudes expressed towards livestock. If deceased humans could be harvested as food and was legal, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of GAF (and people in general) in here would consume it without moral quandaries. That also isn't an attack on their character or person - it's an observation without any pedestals attached and is interesting to think about.

I was mainly pointing at the guy that thinks eating bacon calls for getting cancer, or all humans who eat meat are scum

And I think you're really missing the mark on the whole eating people thing...

dci260

But as long as you do not let the animal suffer gratuitously, who declared it "amoral" to eat animals, particularly raised for such a purpose?

As per the strawman argument, I see it all too often used by Vegans. I just wanted to poke at the sillyness of it.

No.

Funnily enough, many people use this as their reasoning for eating meat. "We're all animals."

It's really not as interesting as you think

Jenov

Huh? Generally animals don't eat their own dead, so it would be odd for people to eat dead people, even it were legal. So I doubt people in general (and Gaf) would start consuming their dead. I think it's more instinctual and less a moral issue.

Not many people here have slaughtered animals by hand if I had to guess. It gives you an appreciation for where the meat comes from. Supermarkets just give you the end result and I roll my eyes at people who enjoy the end part of the process but take offense or feel uncomfortable with the reality that they're eating what was once living animals.

"People in general" form our society with moral standards and stuff and we don't do that, so what's your point?

Surfinn

No.

I think the biggest problem I have on this forum is that far too often, people separate humans from animals (as a justification for animal cruelty). While I agree that the well being of humans should be placed above "lesser animals", we can walk and chew gum simultaneously.

No one necessarily "declared" it. It's a way of life. I believe it's immoral to butcher innocent lives when it's not necessary. That doesn't mean I hate you. That doesn't mean I judge all meat eaters. I understand it's a tough thing to break away from. I was there not more than two years ago.

It just saddens and frustrates me to see so many people joyously celebrate the death and suffering of lives. And to assume that these animals are only capable of being slaughtered. That they aren't still intelligent creatures who could even make good pets and friends. Who deserve a chance to life alongside of humans instead of bred for their bellies.

But that's just me

Pagusas

Elden Member
Req6JmZ.png

Yeah that's a pretty easy line to draw.

I think the biggest problem I have on this forum is that far too often, people separate humans from animals (as a justification for animal cruelty). While I agree that the well being of humans should be placed above "lesser animals", we can walk and chew gum simultaneously.

No one necessarily "declared" it. It's a way of life. I believe it's immoral to butcher innocent lives when it's not necessary. That doesn't mean I hate you. That doesn't mean I judge all meat eaters. I understand it's a tough thing to break away from. I was there not more than two years ago.

It saddens me to see so many people joyously celebrate the death of lives. And to assume that these animals are only capable of being slaughtered. That they aren't still intelligent creatures who could even make good pets and friends.

They just wouldn't exist in the first place. We wouldn't have farms full of domestic animals for head patting

Surfinn

They just wouldn't exist in the first place. We wouldn't have farms full of domestic animals for head patting

But they do exist and it's possible to make changes. And they've proven to be good, loyal pets as well.

Some could make the arugment that particular dog breeds were bred for fighting, but pitbulls make for excellent pets and are gentle and loyal. I don't see people saying "but they were bred to fight, that's their purpose"

When people have proven, for example, that pigs make for just as good of pets. And they were bred for slaughter, right?

Thorgal

Thread makes me wonder if you dudes would eat other people if it was legal.

In an emergency, if it meant between either starving to death or eating another human being that is already dead to have a chance at survival then sure I would as a last resort.

And before you ask "what if the other guy is still alive?" in that case it is survival of the fittest as dark and gruesome as that indeed is.

jph139

This is really just an excuse for not having to think and reason this through for the two or three seconds it should take. I get why people react emotionally, but the point is they shouldn't.

I would argue the opposite - the fact that so many people have an immediate emotional response is probably an indicator that they should try to reflect on why this story, despite being rationally sensible, is unsettling them.

(If you feel sad when pigs burn to death, you should also feel bad when they're slaughtered for meat. The suffering is different but the dying is the same.)

I love most of the meat products that come from piggies but this still made me feel a little sad. Out of the fire and into the frying pan.

molnizzle

Well. It's only fair.

Stuff like this doesn't bother me because I've never pretended like I don't know where my food comes from. I realize that an animal died for me to bite into that delicious burger. Them's the breaks.

I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian. But this is mainly due to my little influence over groceries and lack of independence.

This story is morbid, but the pigs were of course going to be eaten. The story isn't that special.

Here's the situation as I see it:
• Humans recognize that animals feel emotions and suffering. Some we eat even have relatively high intelligence.
• Humans have the ingenuity and resources to find or create alternatives.
• Humans eat animals anyway.

This isn't some kind of moral high ground. I don't even have a right to speak ill of people who choose to eat meat, as I do too. But it's a little disheartening seeing people not only expressing apathy for the animals, but going out of their way to say, "Now I'm gonna eat these pigs twice as hard! Just to piss off those vegans!"

It's too big of a problem to fix though. The best I think that can happen is lab grown meat becoming mainstream.

Not liking these comments in here. Total lack of empathy. You don't save animals just to eat them
That's inherently cruel and sadistic

There was a 6 month gap between the two events. It wasn't like they were slaughtering the pigs as the firemen were putting their hoses away.

But they do exist and it's possible to make changes. And they've proven to be good, loyal pets as well.

Some could make the arugment that particular dog breeds were bred for fighting, but pitbulls make for excellent pets and are gentle and loyal. I don't see people saying "but they were bred to fight, that's their purpose"

When people have proven, for example, that pigs make for just as good pets. And they were bred for slaughter, right?

Well, the animals on farms aren't pets, they only exist for one reason. Like the horse population declined rapidly after they were obsolete for their once main purpose.

I don't have one. Not everybody is peddling an agenda.

I'm just asking questions!

Brannon

Fresh pork sausages, bah gawd.

But yeah, if it weren't for this series of events, literally no one of worth would care.

Not liking these comments in here. Total lack of empathy. You don't save animals just to eat them

I think the title of the story belies the timeline. Fire fighters save pigs (which were being raised for food) and gives them back to the farmer. Farmer continues to raise the pigs as food for many months, and instead of giving the meat to their regular distributor, gives them to the farmers.

Like, I get being against raising animals as food in general, but I'm not sure what else should have been done... The pigs, as cute as they probably were as piglets, aren't pets.

Lothars

No it's not like that at all, the pigs were going to be eaten either way so yes they were saved but there's nothing cruel and sadistic about this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom