• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Research Poll: 56% of all Americans think Islam is un-American

Status
Not open for further replies.
The World Values Survey, an annual poll from the Public Religion Research Institute released in November, asked Americans whether "the values of Islam are at odds with American values and way of life." Below are the results, broken down by Republicans, Democrats, and the entire American population (including Ds, Rs, and independents):

A full 76 percent of Republicans, currently Donald Trump's target audience, see Islam's values — and thus, presumably, the Muslims who adhere to them — as incompatible with the American way of life. And a majority of the general public agrees with them! 56 percent of all Americans in the survey agreed Islamic values are incompatible with American values — as a did substantial minority of Democrats (43 percent). Hostility towards Muslims and Islam is fairly popular, as far as bigotry goes.

This finding is hardly unique. After Ben Carson said that Muslims shouldn't be president in September, a YouGov poll found that 57 percent of Americans agreed with him. 30 percent of Republican voters in Iowa, a critical primary state, told PPP that Islam should be illegal.

This data explains why Trump is hardly the only Republican in the race pandering to anti-Muslim sentiment: it's disturbingly popular. And it's starting to manifest in actual, real-life bigotry.

One final ironic twist: the World Values Survey also asked Americans which groups there was "a lot of discrimination against" in the United States. The group that more Americans singled out than any other as a target for discrimination?

Muslims
http://www.vox.com/2015/12/7/9868996/trump-islam-chart

It's so weird how Republican Christian hate Islam more, considering the striking similarities. But religion will always lead to fights with other religions I guess.

Not looking forward to Christmas party on my side this year. Its going to be 4 hours of pro Trump discussion mixed with whining about Ohio State not making the playoffs.

I wonder if America's wealthy ruling class is stoked about all this terrorism. Definitely distracts us from focusing on wealth distribution and giving every American an actual shot at being able to earn a worthwhile life.

Mimosa97

I wonder if America's wealthy ruling class is stoked about all this terrorism. Definitely distracts us from focusing on wealth distribution and giving every American an actual shot at being able to earn a worthwhile life.

They've been stoked about it for 15 years.

All you hear about in the news is Terrorism and Islam while they feast and keep on living like kings.

Zibrahim

On one hand, results like these make sense given the recent news in the past month or so.

On the other hand, that is no excuse to be xenophobic. Anyway, something should probably be done about Republican extremists that propagate hateful rhetoric. (I say Republicans because I don't think I've seen Democrats propagate hate about Islam. If I'm wrong, please tell me; I'm not American.)

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's so weird how Republican Christian hate Islam more, considering the striking similarities. But religion will always lead to fights with other religions I guess.

Fear is the greatest motivator.

Madness

No way, a majority Christian nation (71%) who has suffered from Islamic terrorism for the past two decades in increasing number, considers Islam un-American? What do you expect? Especially for polls taken after two large terror attacks are in the minds of a lot of people.

You'd get these similar results from practically any Christian or formerly Christian/secular nation. There is a difference between believing in the ideal of freedom of religion and then considering a certain religion to be 'un-American'.

Downhome

Same polls have been conducted in Europe with about the same results.

Yep, I'm not sure why this is even remotely shocking. As it also says, a very large number of Democrats think the exact same way.

There is simply such a huge perceived cultural divide between "Muslims" and the typical western civilizations. No matter if it's entirely true or not, when you see what is on TV for either side, how everything is presented, it's like two completely different worlds. I imagine if the same sort of poll was conducted in Muslim majority countries that you would get the exact same type of results if not even greater. None of this should be shocking at all.

This is never, not in even a hundred more years and many more generations, ever going to change.

It has been this way for a very, very long time. I believe that the constant news, the media, and even the internet as a whole has simply shed more light on this type of thing so it's even more obvious than ever.

Einhander

I always hated this notion of "x being American" or "x being un-American". It's absurd. Patriotism can be a scary thing.

Let's just do the Crusades again, only this time with tanks, bombers, and nuclear weapons. The winner of the Great War receives the smoking cinder of post-nuclear Earth as their prize.

Brakke

Banned
I don't know if I agree with this characterization: "30 percent of Republican voters in Iowa, a critical primary state". "A critical primary state". Since 1976, the only Republicans to win the caucuses in Iowa and then go on to win the Presidential contest have been Ragan and GW Bush. Since 1988, Iowa only went Red once, for W's reelection. I suppose Iowa, being early, drives media and donor attention, so maybe outright victory in Iowa isn't the most useful metric?

Volimar

Why are they asking these questions? It might as well be filling out a questionnaire for ISIS Public Relations.

Nutter

They should do a similar poll in a dominant islam country, where people will call for making Christianity illegal and then see the reactions.

Moza

These polls are idiotic. What exactly are 'American values and way of life'? Couldn't you ask 2 different people that question and receive polar opposite answers.

kirblar

I don't understand how that first survey question automatically means someone is "Anti-Muslim". I would point to free expression (see: Charlie Hebdo cartoons/South Park) as a very real cultural value clash/incompatibility.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Meh. I think all religions are "un American"

It would be weird to say islam is "American" too. It didn't start here. There's not a large percentage. There's no big cultural ties.

I wouldn't say Buddhism or Judaism are American either.

Christianity is also unamerican but has some cultural ties at least like xmas and some less savory things

Brakke

Banned
No way, a majority Christian nation (71%) who has suffered from Islamic terrorism for the past two decades in increasing number, considers Islam un-American? What do you expect? Especially for polls taken after two large terror attacks are in the minds of a lot of people.

You'd get these similar results from practically any Christian or formerly Christian/secular nation. There is a difference between believing in the ideal of freedom of religion and then considering a certain religion to be 'un-American'.

What's your metric for "increasing number"? You're talking about less than fifty people total since 9/11. If we include 9/11 it dwarfs everything since (and before, really). I suppose the numbers are more complicated if we include casualties from the War On Terror but those seem characteristically different enough to me to motivate their category.

h91rad9.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/02/us/california-mass-shooting-san-bernardino.html?_r=1

Moza

What's your metric for "increasing number"? You're talking about less than fifty people total since 9/11. If we include 9/11 it dwarfs everything since (and before, really). I suppose the numbers are more complicated if we include casualties from the War On Terror but those seem characteristically different enough to me to motivate their category.

h91rad9.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/02/us/california-mass-shooting-san-bernardino.html?_r=1
To be fair, a more accurate comparison would probably be to split up each attack, not just have 'Islamic' and "Non Islamic', many of those non islamic attacks have nothing in common with each other.

Condom

The misogyny, homophobia, and hatred for other religions are all major running themes that fundamentalists on both sides share.

They even worship the same god, but don't try and tell them that.

The Quran is pretty clear that it's the same God, calls Jesus a Muslim etc. Doesn't fit the fundamentalist narrative though that's true.

The Quran is pretty clear that it's the same God, calls Jesus a Muslim etc. Doesn't fit the fundamentalist narrative though that's true.

I was talking more about fundamentalist Christians. I always get a kick out of explaining how both religions are descendant from Abraham and seeing them squirm.

The misogyny, homophobia, and hatred for other religions are all major running themes that fundamentalists on both sides share.

To be fair to the Christians and Muslims though, all modern nations with Christian majorities are secular democracies.

The only majority Muslim nation on Earth which is a secular democracy is Turkey. All the others are dictatorships, theocracies, kingdoms, or failed states like Iraq.

Moza

I was talking more about fundamentalist Christians. I always get a kick out of explaining how both religions are descendant from Abraham and seeing them squirm.
The Pope himself has also said that both religions worship the one God too so not too sure what you're talking about. Unless Joe Schmo from the southern states of the US has more bearing on Christianity to you than the Pope.

To be fair to the Christians and Muslims though, all modern nations with Christian majorities are secular democracies.

The only majority Muslim nation on Earth which is a secular democracy is Turkey. All the others are dictatorships, theocracies, kingdoms, or failed states like Iraq.

Yeah, and Christianity is on the decline in all of those nations.

Look at the places where Christianity is growing (ie Africa), and tell me there aren't horrible human rights abuses being perpetrated in the name of the religion.

Not to let Islam off the hook either, because its also responsible for a lot of abhorrent shit.

The disagreement within Islam itself about whether or not Mohammad is the final profit has been enough to cause incomprehensible amounts of bloodshed for centuries.

I think most religions including Christianity are on some level incompatible with American values (not the fake "the 10 commandments inspired the constitution" nonsense values). It's really just a measure of how much religion compromises itself to coexist peacefully with a secular society.

beast786

h91rad9.jpg

The part that is reveant is that there are approx ~1% Muslims in USA versus 99% others. So ratio of terrorist caused death vs number of population clearly shows a discrepancy .

There are interpretation and part of Islam (Quran /Hadith) that are unamerican. But, absolutely not correlated with Muslims as being unamerican . As pretty much Muslim who live in USA version of Islam obviously is American .

Btw . Nothing is more unamerican than the Old Testament

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'd say the core values of any Abrahamic religion are pretty much "un-American" but I doubt the results would be the same for the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom