• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Holdo is just a dreadfully boring Star Wars character that gets too much screentime and is given a moment too big for the character.
The character design is laughable.
The characters actions in the movie really make no sense.
all it takes is a 1 minute comparison to similar characters from the previous films. what other commanders have we seen onscreen?

mup4bxfmgj8pse9hw0nn.png

room full of people watching top secret classified intel & being briefed on the mission

maxresdefault.jpg

Leia briefing the squad before the Battle of Hoth

RotJ-Briefing-Scene-Room.jpg

both Ackbar and Mon Mothma take turns describing the oncoming battle over Endor

starkiller-holo-the-force-awakens.jpg

even in TFA they show everybody the plan, including a runaway Stormtrooper, with this helpful image of two space balls

so yeah, taken in consideration with the previous films, wherein the heroes are always provided a detailed pre briefing of the mission they are about to risk their lives for, Holdo is the worst commander of all of them, and her lack of transparency (something made quite literally true through the visuals) drives them to commit the first mutiny of the series. if that's not being a poor military commander i don't know what is.

as for her being a woman, we have seen both Leia and Mon Mothma give detailed briefings before their successful missions commenced. so that argument is 1000% bullshit.

ManaByte

Gold Member
outyv5D.png

You're damn right if SJW's tried to take up arms and remove President Trump from office, you would be met with a lot of resistance.

I'm not sure why SJW's keep acting like they have all the superior firepower but hey, if they do decide to act, don't whine when the hammer comes swinging down in response.

JkidVN4.jpg

I'm kind of hoping for a civil war where the anti-gun nuts go to war against everyone who has guns.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dumbfucks not knowing the difference between a criminal trial and a political trial deserve no sympathy when reality checked.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of hoping for a civil war where the anti-gun nuts go to war against everyone who has guns.

I hope you're just joking, because you would be one deranged-ass individual to hope that everyone's lives are turned upside down just so you can see right-wing people with guns slaughter less-armed lefties.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I hope you're just joking, because you would be one deranged-ass individual to hope that everyone's lives are turned upside down just so you can see right-wing people with guns slaughter less-armed lefties.

I'm sorry if sarcasm doesn't translate to you. Just when a bunch of people who make "ban all guns" threads also want to spark a revolution, it's not going to go the way they think.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry if sarcasm doesn't translate to you. Just when a bunch of people who make "ban all guns" threads also want to spark a revolution, it's not going to go the way they think.

I don't think it's the sarcasm that's not coming across to me. I assumed and hoped you were being sarcastic, but it's a ridiculous thing to joke about. An actual Civil War in this country in modern times isn't going to go well for anyone involved, regardless if you are the one with more guns than your enemies. It's dangerous rhetoric that shouldn't be bandied around just so you can feel smug about gun ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Today I learned from Ree that watching the NFL at the very least makes you complicit in racism. Check out the Pats thread. All the white players are MAGAs (shudder) and the coaches and team owners are slavers. Damn Ree. Thanks. I'll stop watching football now.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Sometimes this kind of stuff legitimately scares me.
Like, these guys could find themselves in serious trouble over what is basically conflicting opinions on that gesture.

The "made you look now you get two punches" has been around for AT LEAST 20 years.
Shit, we organize a "12 pubs of Christmas" pub crawl every year and every year we end up coming up with more and more elaborate ways to do this.

Basically though if you do not keep up to speed with all this internet bullshit you can end up in big trouble over a hand gesture that only two years ago would have been fine and quite widespread.

I wonder what is the quickest "incubation time" for stuff like this?
As in how quickly can a widespread and harmless thing become a symbol of the alt right?

What happens to people who just didn't know?
Indeed & agreed. Reminds me of how (many moons back), in junior high-school, there was a strange sudden push by peers and those older, to stop using :messenger_peace:because supposedly in Oriental-Asian countries, if used wrongly it could be swearing at somebody.

Ironically, I'm half Oriental-Asian, had been over there several times to visit family which is all over the place out there, and never really heard of that.

Then now in modern days it's suddenly trendy again to do said gesture to be hip.

Sometimes think there's a push to wall away certain styles/gestures/cultures/personalities into off limits territory as a means to call dibs in saving it for those whom they favor more.

Kind of like how when I was a kid, I was constantly picked on for wearing glasses, for being brainy/smart, and for being a nerd/geek -- fairly badly too. So badly, in fact, that at age of 12, I studied any martial arts I could get my hands on while body/power-building to bulk myself out. When I started I was a skinny soaking wet 86 pounds, to where I was right around 225 in high school with 7-10% body fat.

Then go figure when next "assault" were totally false accusations towards me of "obviously using steroids", when I've never touched 'em in my life, to now where so many, even flaky dumb peeps, where fake costume glasses and "geek wear" while all pretending to be "Straight Outta' Mensa (Compton)" and now trying to suggest the "big, badass, and strong", are bullies and thugs -- even though a decade or so ago we were told that we can't use "thug" because (while the shifted goalposts served an agenda) it was supposedly racist. :goog_injured:

PS - But I must always remember that because I'm half-white, I'm a recipient of "whie priviledge", even if my "white" is old-country bar-fighting Irish. :p

Last edited:

ZombieTech

Neo Member
AKA: Taking a stand against the bullies..... finally, once and for all. 🤠

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The left continuing to tear each other apart in the Bernie/Cenk thread

YEBQpsR.png

fR0kG1m.png

Uzxo1yX.png

"what do I need to do for you to not see me as evil? What?" - why does this person stay on Era? Why beg for the approval of people you surely must know are toxic?

0XzTUuC.png

A mod steps in:

0Lhf0TE.png

"Let's try to not to assume the worst of each other all the time and try to discuss things in good faith." - on Era?

source.gif

That's not the real left

That's not real communism

Gee, this always seems to go hand in hand to hubris laden, insecure narcissists who are "never wrong".

ZombieTech

Neo Member
What the?

Again?

What the fuck is going on, like seriously.
Reminds me of the ol' GG days, when it was commonplace to see the same 2 year or more old videos and articles, shared again and again and again and again -- each and everytime being framed and portrayed as though it was brand new and on fire. -_-

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"Try to avoid generalizations that make others feel attacks." "Let's try to not assume the worst of each other all the time."

Bwa ha ha ha... Way too late for that. And coming from B-Dubs, it's even richer.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
The parties switched sides
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE HELL NO -- so sick of the "party switch" BULLSHIT lies.

Though, might explain why they think Americans of old are so evil -- (hyperbole ahead) we Americans were actually first Nazis v1.0, but got bored of being masters of the universe, so we switched sides and took out the scapegoat.

/end.hyperbole >_<

nush

Gold Member
Indeed & agreed. Reminds me of how (many moons back), in junior high-school, there was a strange sudden push by peers and those older, to stop using :messenger_peace:because supposedly in Oriental-Asian countries, if used wrongly it could be swearing at somebody.

Ironically, I'm half Oriental-Asian,
even though a decade or so ago we were told that we can't use "thug" because (while the shifted goalposts served an agenda) it was supposedly racist. :goog_injured:

Didn't you het the memo? Oriental is a racist term when applied to Asians, so stop being racists to yourself.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
As a disclaimer, I am so out of the know on the modern Star Wars stuff. I only ever fully watched episodes 4-6, since it was only Star Wars out there when I was growing up. I've only seen very tiny bits of anything 1-3 on department store TVs, but have been informed before that I'm not really missing anything.

I did watch Force Awakens, just out of morbid curiosity due to SJW scandals -- and will admit it actually wasn't completely all that bad -- though, RIP Solo. :(

But I've also never seen Episodes 8-10,000,000 (since they absolutely refuse to stop destroying the franchise and milking the shit out of it.)

Not saying this because I care about spoilers whatsoever, but more because if a modern Star Wars reference is tossed out, and I seem like one that built up speed just to lunge off the turnip truck to then land squarely on my head -- that'd be why. :D

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Didn't you het the memo? Oriental is a racist term when applied to Asians, so stop being racists to yourself.
LOL, yep I've seen that. Thing is Asia is largest inhabited continent, jusy saying "Asian" in actuality still covers lots of backgrounds.

So kinda' figure Oriental-Asian isn't all to different from Canadian-American. xD

And yeah, totally not missing the funny there... used to know a woman who was basically posterboard for SJW, zero foreign heritage or whatever, yet readily knowing that I'm half-Asian would constantly want to inform me "how things work in Asian cultures", even though she'd never been outside California nor the town she grew up in. xD

#InternalizedSelfDirectedRacismRules :p

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
With 2019 almost over, and a whole new decade about to start next year, where does this currently place Resetera?

XC8SxMi.png

In nearly 3 years, Resetera has managed to ban 11,448 people, or 1/5th of their entire userbase.

On the opposite spectrum, Resetera has shown no growth for unique users.

dgBZ8nf.png

That's right, look forward to an even bigger echo chamber next year.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
With 2019 almost over, and a whole new decade about to start next year, where does this currently place Resetera?

XC8SxMi.png

In nearly 3 years, Resetera has managed to ban 11,448 people, or 1/5th of their entire userbase.

dgBZ8nf.png

Utopia achieved any day now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

XC8SxMi.png

dgBZ8nf.png

For accuracy's sake, that's 11,448 bans, not banned people, right? Most people see at least a couple of bans before getting a permanent or never-ending "duration pending". Some prominent users have more than 10 bans and are still posting. If that's the total number of ban actions, then the actual banned accounts is probably a lot closer to 1/3 that number.

Last edited by a moderator:
For accuracy's sake, that's 11,448 bans, not banned people, right? Most people see at least a couple of bans before getting a permanent or never-ending "duration pending". Some prominent users have more than 10 bans and are still posting. If that's the total number of ban actions, then the actual banned accounts is probably a lot closer to 1/3 that number.

It's actually closer to 1/5-1/8 or so. The graph being used lists 903 permanent and 2338 duration pending at time of this writing. It's true many of the latter get upgraded to a perm, but not always. All it means is that the mod that initially banned them does not have the authority to make it a perm and is waiting on an admin to sign off on it.

I know it's nice to talk about how trigger happy the mods there are, but they haven't permanently banned a fifth of their userbase. It's at most in the low 3k range, which is still too much but not as ridiculous.

As for the activity levels, it's just a consistently lowering ceiling, with bans and people leaving of their own will contributing to that. I imagine it'll continue to trend downward, shaving maybe 500 users off the highest possible ceiling year over year. Though that may not apply to next year as election season will be in full swing.

600Breezy

Today I learned from Ree that watching the NFL at the very least makes you complicit in racism. Check out the Pats thread. All the white players are MAGAs (shudder) and the coaches and team owners are slavers. Damn Ree. Thanks. I'll stop watching football now.

if thats the case, does that mean that they’re complicit in child slavery since they buy iPhones?

Is this what they would call a “whataboutism” when called out on their own hypocrisy? 🤔

nush

Gold Member
As for the activity levels, it's just a consistently lowering ceiling, with bans and people leaving of their own will contributing to that. I imagine it'll continue to trend downward, shaving maybe 500 users off the highest possible ceiling year over year. Though that may not apply to next year as election season will be in full swing.

As they are such a huge forum with a lot of influence on the political scene in the US I can see thier membership really growing next year. With Russian and Chinese troll farm bots that is.

Resetera trying to generate as much buzz about Star Wars RoS as possible, after hearing SWRoS soft box office tracking and may come on the lower end of estimate......count how many SW topics on their front page.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

they can't let their feminist and diversity champion fail again after back to back turds like Terminator and Charlies Angels

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Resetera trying to generate as much buzz about Star Wars RoS as possible, after hearing SWRoS soft box office tracking and may come on the lower end of estimate......count how many SW topics on their front page.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

they can't let their feminist and diversity champion fail again after back to back turds like Terminator and Charlies Angels
Quick, blame it's failure on toxic neckbeard fans again, the media will back them up too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

JordanN

Banned
Here's another interesting tidbit before we enter the next decade.

Resetera's Conservative OT

Created: November 3rd, 2017
Last Post: September 21st, 2018 (1 year ago)

You can scroll through six pages and see that nearly every user is banned.

First post:
vF0J2yy.png

Last Post:

UFdDYtA.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised Shinagawa lasted this long. Maybe his user name in Kanji confused them.

tkscz

Here's another interesting tidbit before we enter the next decade.

Resetera's Conservative OT

Created: November 3rd, 2017
Last Post: September 21st, 2018 (1 year ago)

You can scroll through six pages and see that nearly every user is banned.

First post:
vF0J2yy.png

Last Post:

UFdDYtA.png

If you ever needed an example of a honey pot

zapiks44

I've been seeing "supporting bigotry" alot lately as reasons for bans. Seems it's become the mod's new go-to if they just want to get rid of posters who go against their ever-tightening rules on what is "acceptable".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom