• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handel

Oh my god... This can't be real, can it?

Imagine ostracizing your 1st grade child like that for no other reason than that you want signal that you don't believe in a religion.
My parents weren't religious, I don't think they're atheist it's just something that never came up at all. Religion never made sense to me so at a young age I was basically an atheist, yet I chose to go to a Sunday bible school with one of my friends as a kid as I loved to absorb knowledge of all kinds and more than that, it was just another means to socialize. Christmas was still a holiday I enjoyed for what it is in the modern times, a commercialized event. I don't usually acknowledge Easter but I'll partake sometimes for the food/fun events surrounding it.

Not celebrating Christmas is questionable if you were born in a country that has it as a major holiday, but still whatever your choice. Having your child excluded from Christmas events at school because of it is asinine though.

nush

Ahs3atv.png

Banned for liking cats more than dogs and posting facts to support his position that dogs are more intelligent.

bitbydeath

My parents weren't religious, I don't think they're atheist it's just something that never came up at all. Religion never made sense to me so at a young age I was basically an atheist, yet I chose to go to a Sunday bible school with one of my friends as a kid as I loved to absorb knowledge of all kinds and more than that, it was just another means to socialize. Christmas was still a holiday I enjoyed for what it is in the modern times, a commercialized event. I don't usually acknowledge Easter but I'll partake sometimes for the food/fun events surrounding it.

Not celebrating Christmas is questionable if you were born in a country that has it as a major holiday, but still whatever your choice. Having your child excluded from Christmas events at school because of it is asinine though.

Christmas is a national holiday here where you typically get 2-4 weeks off work. (Kids get around two months off school) and it makes sense as it’s also when kids move up a grade.

Christmas has nothing to do with religion.

Last edited:

Handel

Christmas is a national holiday here where you typically get 2-4 weeks off work. (Kids get around two months off school) and it makes sense as it’s also when kids move up a grade.

That's basically my point in my post. You can be an atheist and easily celebrate Christmas no problem as it's more a commercial holiday than anything else. Saying it has nothing to do with religion historically though is just factually wrong.

bitbydeath

That's basically my point in my post. You can be an atheist and easily celebrate Christmas no problem as it's more a commercial holiday than anything else. Saying it has nothing to do with religion historically though is just factually wrong.

Well, it was turned into a religious holiday at one point but that was a long time ago.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So true. But you don't have to be Athiest either. You can be Hindu and celebrate the holidays.

This also goes for Easter and Thanksgiving too. How many people get time off and treat the holidays like Christian value dinners and giving thanks to pilgrims and bountiful harvests?

Not too many I see.

Most people seem to treat them as freebie federal holidays to pig out and shop.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Ahs3atv.png

Banned for liking cats more than dogs and posting facts to support his position that dogs are more intelligent.

lmao

This is real life. Not the Onion. I was reading that thread when I came across that banning and was like what the fuck? This has to be a joke right?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I just logged in and noticed I was perma banned like a month ago? I posted maybe three times. What the fuck is wrong with these guys.

Last edited:
I'd be fine letting Scotland leave to be honest. If only to see their representatives squirm without being able to fall back on UK government funded luxuries like:

- Free university
- Free prescriptions
- Free early childcare
- Free dental care
- Having to fund their own military entirely
- Dealing with sizable employment losses because of civil services vacancies not being required anymore, which makes up a huge chunk of their employment figures
- Not being able to lean back on an established british currency as a safety net and having to transition over to something else

This is the same Scottish government who had their first attempt at an independence referendum quashed when a majority voted to stay. Scotland is like a financial black hole for the UK at the moment, very little return for what's put in. Would be nice to have the country's wallet freed up a little for the more sustainable regions of the country.

Shows you how uneducated ResetEra's usual political armchair analysts are on what a united front actually provides for Scotland and how they have a helluva lot more to lose than the rest of the Isle!

It says a lot when even the EU don't want them. :LOL:

They were told to make their own temporary currency first should they want to go into the EU without the UK.

"Scotland have been forced against their will to leave the EU"

Yeah well...maybe stop and think how you can sustain yourself before crying that the UK is taking you away from the Continent that doesn't really want you either as you provide not much of value, except Whiskey and oil that the UK owns (Regarding the SNP)

Last edited:

Kev Kev

57cefvT.png

Fucking Bleen’s post is the epitome is Era’s stance on banning wrongthink. And even when you do, you get that poster being quoted below, literally losing their mind, cussing people out. Which is easily a bannable offense... oh wait unless you’re thinking exactly how the hive mind wants you to, well then everything’s fine 😀 OBEY OBEY OBEY. Jfc what a bunch of assholes

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This also goes for Easter and Thanksgiving too. How many people get time off and treat the holidays like Christian value dinners and giving thanks to pilgrims and bountiful harvests?

Not too many I see.
This sounds like your own personal view. For me my entire family gathers every Thanksgiving we go around the table and say what we are thankful for. Christmas as well is all about values of love and family. These are pretty strong Christian values.

Admittedly you can celebrate without being Christian, and the consumer version of Xmas is certainly a nondenominational holiday, but I don’t think they are as widespread meaningless or devoid of religion as you pretend.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I honestly didn't know people like this existed. Every atheist I've known still celebrates Christmas.

Give the presents to the child and burn the bible, win-win.

Thaedolus

1) Dogs and cats both have positive and negative attributes. WTF do people waste their time arguing which is better? Dogs are clearly more intelligent, but you know what? They take more fucking work than cats. Also: aint no cat gonna let me toddler crawl all over them and tug on their ears with impunity, then turn around and give a warning growl to a stranger getting too close...so they're different and both are fine.

2) Fuck Tulsi Gabbard and Hillary was right about her :)

I honestly didn't know people like this existed. Every atheist I've known still celebrates Christmas.

Imagine getting this triggered over a bible and good job getting your child separated from his friends instead of letting him participate in the Christmas fun you dumbass.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Christmas is coming early:

Christmas is coming early:
lol watching the brain-damaged Harry Potter fandom bicker with one another is gonna be like furries fighting with otherkin.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How can you be a fan of the Harry Potter books and not know that there are PoC in them?

They are also calling Rowling a TERF, but Rowling isn't a radical feminist.....

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the folks on Era have had a hate hard-on for Rowling for a long time now. It's really kind of gross to see a bunch of grown dudes salivating at the opportunity to unleash their rage on a woman who won't fall in line with their world view.

This thread is fucking disgusting if you take into account Era's newfound dedication to protecting marginalized groups. Their complaints about the Jewish community are no different than typical anti-immigration rhetoric and if you swapped them out with literally any other marginalized group, the whole thread would be a bloodbath.

Fucking hypocrites.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
How can you be a fan of the Harry Potter books and not know that there are PoC in them?

if she does not consider a male wearing a dress and calling himself a woman to actually be a literal woman, she is a TERF

the "radical" part is in thinking biological women = women

she directly challenges their authority on feminism, since Era is largely male feminists, so she must be shunned.

Last edited:

nush

You can't just say something transphobic as a woman and just be a transphobe. You get a special sexist buzzword they all rush to post about you.

HotPocket69

Banned

What legit workplaces give their employees four weeks off for Christmas? 🤣 Let alone TWO. Are you from Europe?

I’ve been in the US corporate world for over a decade and getting “two to four weeks off work” for Christmas is fucking nonsense and doesn’t happen unless you actually schedule that time off (and have the PTO to cover it) AND if your manager allows you to be gone for that long on top of that.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

What legit workplaces give their employees four weeks off for Christmas? 🤣 Let alone TWO. Are you from Europe?

I’ve been in the US corporate world for over a decade and getting “two to four weeks off work” for Christmas is fucking nonsense and doesn’t happen unless you actually schedule that time off (and have the PTO to cover it) AND if your manager allows you to be gone for that long on top of that.

Australia mate!

GHG

Gold Member

He should go and live in Saudi Arabia.

What a miserable pile of wank.

lmimmfn

feminists vs trans, who would win???

Can someone explain this to me? I'm lost

nush

feminists vs trans, who would win???

aGhZ8zs.png

Not a good day to be a Star Wars or Harry Potter fan. Can one of the MCU actors say something today as well please. That should put the majority of Ree into the fetal position, literally crying and shaking.

aGhZ8zs.png

Not a good day to be a Star Wars or Harry Potter fan. Can one of the MCU actors say something today as well please. That should put the majority of Ree into the fetal position, literally crying and shaking.

Im guessing we will have some sort of argument about nipples being on a cg marvel character.....calling it now

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
aGhZ8zs.png

If it means Reeeee people are in fetal position, I hope Mark Hamill likes more JK tweets.

abuse-neglect-310x210.jpg

So in case anyone doesn't know, bulbasort is a confirmed KF troll. I do NOT know if they are one of the 4 non-FeistyBoots trolls in the trans discord. I'm leaning towards no since they don't seem super visible and probably haven't even joined the place, but I could be wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom