• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reshade, your best friend for video game preservation.

Ezquimacore

Banned
When people talk about PC gaming most of the time they like to talk about expensive graphics card for modern gaming. And yeah that's cool and all but to me one of the things that I enjoy the most is how I can create my own remaster. The lazy remasters some developers sell you for $30-$60, you can do it yourself and even better.
Don't get confused, this is not mods or any complicate thing, this is a single software called Reshade that let you go wild and add whatever you want to those old low resolution games. The best thing is it has so many options that even your chromebook can use it and make retro games look a bit better, so this is not just for expensive PCs. That Ocarina of time Nintendo doesn't want to give you, you can do it yourself.

Here I will show you a few of my "remasters"

Prince of Persia The Sands Of Time - Just added amd fidelityfx, a bit of color, better shadows and a comic filter
pop-3.png

pop-5.png

POP-2022-04-28-07-57-38-794.png

POP-2022-04-28-08-14-26-911.png

Soul Calibur 2 - AMD Fidelity FX, shadows and smaa

soul-1.png

soul-2.png

soul-3.png

Tomb Raider Anniversary - AMD Fidelity FX, better shadows and lighting
tra-2022-04-28-09-39-01-204.png

tra-2022-04-28-09-41-01-790.png

Max Payne - A darker filter, Fidelity FX and Motion Blur
1-1.png

1-3.png

The contrast seem way off in Soul Calibur, Taki's outfit especially. And the softening is a bit too much as well, would be good to put the original side by side for comparison.

Tomb Raider stands out quite well, those shadows look pretty good especially on the second image, well done :)

Ezquimacore

Banned
The contrast seem way off in Soul Calibur, Taki's outfit especially. And the softening is a bit too much as well, would be good to put the original side by side for comparison.

Tomb Raider stands out quite well, those shadows look pretty good especially on the second image, well done :)
It's the fakehdr filter, looks better on my monitor but yeah looks excessive on the screenshots

Interesting idea. I needed to google pics of the actual games for comparison, so I'll post them here for others to see:

PoP:
7e076aed20116ee913554fe6a1f0e2a8dfcef6b91b045c6c0f48d933fdbb9489_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

0000003941.1920x1080.jpg

Soul Calibur 2:

90957-soulcalibur-ii-gamecube-screenshot-attacking-yunsung-and-winning.png

sc2-hd-online-s31.jpg

TR Anniversary:

B7aMBa1IEAANWYi.jpg:large

tchalehonjg51.png

Max Payne 1:
screenshot.max-payne-i-2001.1200x900.2012-06-14.130.jpg

1586942007_screenshot-1-max-payne.jpg

Last edited:

Holammer

I use ReShade all the time, mostly to get a real nice CRT shaders in pixel art games.

Here for the coming Souldiers.

3DC443E4FA33FF0A5D2D8B5627C48133C1471B29

I also injected it in a Switch emulator to see how Shadow Warriors Once Again looked, got distracted by Animal Crossing and it looked *fabulous*.

DBF885C4C9A544B42147BF5C10C64A52ED3FB0AC

Again, taking the piss by injecting it in Days Gone. Worked surprisingly well.

35B06D1A141E66582250AB7A1EEDEADA3971E2A2

"Jim Ryan is such an idiot for saying old games look bad"

*Completely modifies everything about the look of old games for preservation*
Injecting things that were not in the games seems like the opposite of preservation.
I think preservation was the wrong word to use, but I see what OP is attempting to do. It's like their own version of a remaster.

Reshade and ENB are a lot of fun to play around with. Even if a game doesn't have texture and lighting mods Reshade and ENB can make some drastic changes without a single mod. Being able to inject things like ambient occlusion, depth of field, sharpening filters and color correction can have drastic effects on any game.

Fbh

Sands of Time with that reshade and comic filter looks nicer than the remake lol.

I definitely should use these tools more, I'm usually too lazy to start tinkering around though

Orta

Banned
How do you actually use this thing. I've downloaded the software, then I download a zipfile of my choice with graphical effects, as far as I can see it installs to the game of my choice folder (Tomb Raider 2013) but I don't see anything. I've gone to the website and see screenshots of a reShade menu in-game where I think effects are being selected but I can't bring that up. It says shift and F2 does so but not for me.

Anyone? I'll probably lose interest in the next few minutes and just delete the whole thing anyway :messenger_hushed:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
When people talk about PC gaming most of the time they like to talk about expensive graphics card for modern gaming. And yeah that's cool and all but to me one of the things that I enjoy the most is how I can create my own remaster. The lazy remasters some developers sell you for $30-$60, you can do it yourself and even better.
Don't get confused, this is not mods or any complicate thing, this is a single software called Reshade that let you go wild and add whatever you want to those old low resolution games. The best thing is it has so many options that even your chromebook can use it and make retro games look a bit better, so this is not just for expensive PCs. That Ocarina of time Nintendo doesn't want to give you, you can do it yourself.

Here I will show you a few of my "remasters"

Prince of Persia The Sands Of Time - Just added amd fidelityfx, a bit of color, better shadows and a comic filter
elity FX, shadows and smaa

Tomb Raider Anniversary - AMD Fidelity FX, better shadows and lighting

Max Payne - A darker filter, Fidelity FX and Motion Blur
1-1.png

1-3.png
IQ ruined by motion blur. And mod that aspect ratio/FoV to 16:9!!!

Ezquimacore

Banned
How do you actually use this thing. I've downloaded the software, then I download a zipfile of my choice with graphical effects, as far as I can see it installs to the game of my choice folder (Tomb Raider 2013) but I don't see anything. I've gone to the website and see screenshots of a reShade menu in-game where I think effects are being selected but I can't bring that up. It says shift and F2 does so but not for me.

Anyone? I'll probably lose interest in the next few minutes and just delete the whole thing anyway :messenger_hushed:
You need to be sure the game api, for tomb raider select the exe file and then select direct9. Then select every option it gives you. In game you press the home key. Some other games and emulators use vulkan or opengl too.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Any good mods to fix the way shadows look whack af in some games when the light is behind a character? This also happens in Dark Souls and many other games but it affects my experience the most in Fallout because often you'll have conversations with characters looking like the first image if a light is behind them. Second image is in the same spot of the same room just facing the other way.

7nt2zO4.jpg
W3Ujnaq.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom