• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1.5 Leaked

Dram

I wonder why Capcom never used Elza in any of the Resident Evil games? She didn't even show up in any of the spin-offs.

I like how the zombies themselves are more of a threat. There's more of them, they're faster, you can't get chomped-on and push one on his ass/knock them all over in order to run around them... you're barely shrug them off long enough to back up and retreat.

Freaking awesome.

They toned down the on screen zombie limit to raise the poly count on the models which is a fair trade of for how resi 2 ended up, but I do prefer these beta zombies, you can also blow their legs off like in resi 1 and they crawl at you without legs.

StarWolf

Banned
So where in the world do people manage to gain access to this stuff? You'd think Sony would have this locked away in a vault somewhere.

ksdixon

does anyone else find the lack of discussion odd? this is re1.5! we can explore the original rpd, fight the gorrillas etc. not complaining, jusst thought it was odd.

kunonabi

The demo is still a little rough to really form any new opinions. It has gotten me super excited for their final version and it was incredibly satisfying to play Elza finally. I do love the camera angles that this version uses.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am kind of curious why some enemies only appear once, for instance the spider-man that jumps out after you in the hallway in the labs. I'm also wondering if things like the evident Alligator boss were left out due to current coding issues or if they hadn't been built-up enough in this build.

Jerrod

Tons of discussion on the forums in OP's first link about the press release (multiple threads of discussion). I was certainly expecting a lot more discussion here though.

Tons of discussion on the forums in OP's first link about the press release (multiple threads of discussion). I was certainly expecting a lot more discussion here though.

There is a lot of interesting items like the new first aid spray, the thrown grenades and other bits, I guess gaf is not the right place for 1.5 talk

*edit* saying that, after reading some stuff on the-horror they are mostly moaning or fighting each other about stuff, not real talk on 1.5

Jackpot

Banned
I keep reading the thread confused with lack of attention and thinking I'm missing something....but no...people are just not talking a bunch on it...odd

Unfortunately there's too much missing to talk about. With no puzzles or anything it's primarily looking at the backgrounds and playing some of the enemy encounters. The things that are in there like some of the lab sequences are great. If there was a whole game of them I'm sure people would be talking it up.

I think what makes it hard outside of some obvious stuff is that some areas are added in by the modders and they did a really good job at blending their stuff in, some stuff also does not work like the fire extinguisher refuses to be used on the fire at the truck even though the game says something like "I can use this to put out that truck fire".

I would go through and make a list of all the items but someone else has most likely already done so.

It's great to see Elza in action after years of concept art and tiny magazine scans of her, you can kind of tell that claire evolved from her original design and looks.

Lucent

The demo is still a little rough to really form any new opinions. It has gotten me super excited for their final version and it was incredibly satisfying to play Elza finally. I do love the camera angles that this version uses.

I think it's really weird that when you start as Elza, you run down that long hallway with one zombie and she'll stop at one point to say something like "Hey don't attack me what are you doing blah blah" and the zombie still comes and attacks you while you can't do anything. And in that same hall you can go far off and the camera doesn't change for you to see where you're going. I had to guess to get back to where I was.

Then I used the jump feature to jump to this part where Elza was suddenly with Sherry and that gunshop guy and when Sherry tried to go in a vent, I heard a cerberus scream and she vanished and the game glitched out. Had to turn it off.

It's also weird not having voice at all or a CG cutscene to play before you begin. You're just there.

Somehow, just the vibe I get from playing a scrapped version of the game that was never meant to be released makes it scary on its own. It's like being alone in a mall at night when it's closed or something, y'know? I dunno how to describe it, but it's creepy. It's like that "you're not supposed to be here" feeling.

EDIT: I was wondering, do they have everything they need to complete this? How are they even doing this? And how do you us the item utility or w/e. I thought I read you could press some buttons to get weapons but wasn't happening for me.

Jerrod

There is a lot of interesting items like the new first aid spray, the thrown grenades and other bits, I guess gaf is not the right place for 1.5 talk

*edit* saying that, after reading some stuff on the-horror they are mostly moaning or fighting each other about stuff, not real talk on 1.5
There are multiple threads on the forum about 1.5. The biggest is just them fighting but this one is all about what is in 1.5.

I would go through and make a list of all the items but someone else has most likely already done so.
Somebody did that in the thread I linked to above.

I think it's really weird that when you start as Elza, you run down that long hallway with one zombie and she'll stop at one point to say something like "Hey don't attack me what are you doing blah blah" and the zombie still comes and attacks you while you can't do anything. And in that same hall you can go far off and the camera doesn't change for you to see where you're going. I had to guess to get back to where I was.
I believe that is supposed to be a cutscene where Elza meets that zombie in the hallway and then tries to talk to it before realizing what it is and killing it? If you check the blood splatter on the ground near the cutscene there is a handgun you pickup so I guess there is where she gets her gun. And if you leave and re-enter that hallway room after the cutscene the camera angle at the end of the hallway will work so you can see what is there.

It's also weird not having voice at all or a CG cutscene to play before you begin. You're just there.

Somehow, just the vibe I get from playing a scrapped version of the game that was never meant to be released makes it scary on its own. It's like being alone in a mall at night when it's closed or something, y'know? I dunno how to describe it, but it's creepy. It's like that "you're not supposed to be here" feeling.

EDIT: I was wondering, do they have everything they need to complete this? How are they even doing this? And how do you us the item utility or w/e. I thought I read you could press some buttons to get weapons but wasn't happening for me.
They don't have everything to complete it, they probably don't have the cgi cutscenes (somebody said they were all finished before the game was scrapped though) or any voice acting and a lot of the items and rooms are unfinished, but they supposedly have a scenario draft or outline of the game so they can just make up whatever to make the game work and everybody should be happy.

While in your inventory highlight any space (even if there is already an item there) and hit select and you can then use L1 and R1 to scroll through a list of every item in the game to place into your inventory.

This, please. I grabbed this last night, and loved it, but I have no idea how to do cheats or anything. Is there a page detailing the finds/what areas or characters triggers what?

EDIT-thanks jerrod for the control guide!

Probably one of the first attempts by the restoration team to create a cutscene. The whole room is custom, after all.

Then I used the jump feature to jump to this part where Elza was suddenly with Sherry and that gunshop guy and when Sherry tried to go in a vent, I heard a cerberus scream and she vanished and the game glitched out. Had to turn it off.

Like said before, the scariest thing in the whole series! Something simiar happen if you try to talk to the chief in his office. Makes the character's headlook animation go crazy too!

Lucent

Probably one of the first attempts by the restoration team to create a cutscene. The whole room is custom, after all.

Like said before, the scariest thing in the whole series! Something simiar happen if you try to talk to the chief in his office. Makes the character's headlook animation go crazy too!

The room is custom? They're doing a pretty good job then. Heh.

I can't wait until this is fully tested and playable. Would be cool if they could find some talented VAs who would provide voices for free.

Can you imagine if people started making their own PS1 style RE games? =l

HNNNNNNNNG

Haha. So the "Hookman" version of Bio4 could've always worked with the classic series?

Capcom should do a Hookman version for Bio7. Would appease us old-school fans AND have the whiners about "OMG CAN'T SEE WHINE WHINE WHINE" satisfied.

The japanese RE4 ashley playable area had classic cameras if I remember right, but for the US and EU release it's behind like normal.

News Bot

Banned
Haha. So the "Hookman" version of Bio4 could've always worked with the classic series?

Capcom should do a Hookman version for Bio7. Would appease us old-school fans AND have the whiners about "OMG CAN'T SEE WHINE WHINE WHINE" satisfied.

The only thing retail BH4 really added to the equation was "free" aiming (Castle/Hallucination could only aim up/down/left/right similar to this 1.5 thing) and making that the default. The Castle version used the GameCube's pressure sensitive shoulder buttons so that if you pressed in hard, you would aim in third-person while pressing in softly allowed you to aim in the classic style.

Honestly, there's no reason they can't use the classic style again while also using the pressure sensitivity to enable free third-person aiming. And even have an option for fixed camera angles or the fixed-to-back camera.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The japanese RE4 ashley playable area had classic cameras if I remember right, but for the US and EU release it's behind like normal.

On normal and up it uses the classic camera, yeah. On easy it stays OTS like the english versions.

For those of you that have played the leaked version, is Kendo supposed to be Robert Kendo or an entirely new character? I could have swore he was called John in some of the gameplay vids. Also interesting that the zombie cop, Roy, was capable of speaking. First time since Itchy Tasty researcher zombie in RE1?

For those of you that have played the leaked version, is Kendo supposed to be Robert Kendo or an entirely new character? I could have swore he was called John in some of the gameplay vids. Also interesting that the zombie cop, Roy, was capable of speaking. First time since Itchy Tasty researcher zombie in RE1?

edit: first part was wrong -- was supposed to have much larger role in the game than he had in RE2

I think there might be a gameshark code to unlock those Ashley RE1 style cameras or maybe it was just a rumor

He was known as John in 1.5 [playing a larger role in Elza's scenario] and then got later recycled to gunshop owner Robert Kendo in the retail RE2.

Roy's part in the game is anyone's guess really as I don't think any media [outside of the concept proofs] pertaining to his role has ever surfaced.

ksdixon

I'm curious. Some of the screen captures and video of people playing RE1.5 (presumably on epsx emulator) are really clear. What settings are people using to achieve this?

I'm curious. Some of the screen captures and video of people playing RE1.5 (presumably on epsx emulator) are really clear. What settings are people using to achieve this?

Depends on what you mean by clear. I don't remember what the default plugins are for ePSXe these days but as far as I'm aware, it is down to one of two video plugin options:

Pete's OpenGL2 GPU Plugin for upscaling Playstation graphics to very high resolutions. The upscaling process can usually cause visual problems when dealing with sprites or text, however, but it makes 3D geometry look great.

The P.E.Op.S plugin for 1:1 Playstation-native rendering. This is basically "compatibility mode" if you have a problem with the way Pete's OGL2 plugin renders, because it's nearly identical to the way it would look on a real Playstation, pixel-for-pixel.

As for settings, both Pete's OGL2 and PEOPS have "Fast" and "Nice" presets, you could always try the nice preset and see how that looks, though generally I find I have to tweak things a little bit to my own liking.

Aggelos

Since this a restoration project, how close are the dialogues/story-events to what Capcom had in their vault (before scrapping the game in early 1997?)

ksdixon

Since this a restoration project, how close are the dialogues/story-events to what Capcom had in their vault (before scrapping the game in early 1997?)

I would assume quite close. Over the years storyline details have emerged that have become well known. I believe I read-up on them at Bioflames back in the day.

Top Bottom