• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake *LTTP* / Back in 1995 + 3

Doczu

Oh man, this game. This damn game. I thought this would be GOTY material, but this is my personal Game of the Generation!

I promised myself i would get it on launch, i played the demo from srsrt till end on multiple PSN accounts just to be in the RPD station. But whims and wishes are one thing, life doesn't always go thst way. I've had neverending downs since january, the house i bought had issues with water damage, my car literally broke down every month (from minor things to clutch and transmission failure at the same time) and in between my wife told me she's pregnant (which was the only fantastic news) - so i didn't have neither time, cash or the feeling to play it.

Fast forward to yesterday and she bought me the game as a gift for all the hardship i went through and for the stress in resolving every problem we had while taking care of her needs as a preggo with the order to take relax and game, as after 3 weeks when the little me gets out i won't have the time to game.

And i did...

Jesus christ this game is DOPE. The demo was nothing more than a apertizer! I just smacked Birkin for the first time and met Mr X.

The nostalgia is strong with this one, but the game isn't a douche that only looks like the cool guy he was. It's the perfect remake. The perfect organism.

From the graphics (PS4 Pro), to the sound design, the re-imagining of the police station - everything works!
But the gameplay, oh the meaty gameplay... I play on hardcore because i don't want autosave and i want to use the ink and i'm getting man-handled every other room. I'm constantly low on ammo and health, the zombies pour through every door and window and i feel that i can't shake off X.

Holy shit i waited for this 20 years, i was afraid they would fuck it up when they announced it but now i'm happy of the results.

Wish me luck guys, this will be my final game for some time, gonna grab a beer, get cozy under a blanket and finish it at least once witch both characters.

I really enjoyed the majority of the game, i picked it up shortly after release. I agree that the gameplay is very good and i was pretty much addicted to its survival-horror design. But, what destroyed the game for me completely was the integration of Mr. X. It obliterated the atmosphere the game created, and i didn't like that. I could have modded it out (i played the PC version), but at that point i gave up. I knowledge, and respect the decision of Mr. X to be designed in the way it is in the game, i know why it's there, i know what it's doing, but i don't like it.

Dane

IMO best game of the year so far, and probably the best i've played in this generation (forgot to mention in that thread), Capcom have chances of having released the GOTY in the first weeks of the year.

The only downside? The scenarios aren't connected storywise, lots of plotholes when you try to connect them unlike the original. Heck, capcom fixed that after years of complains, rumor is that the writer for Wesker's Report was drunk and messed up.

WindomURL

Oh man, this game. This damn game. I thought this would be GOTY material, but this is my personal Game of the Generation!

I promised myself i would get it on launch, i played the demo from srsrt till end on multiple PSN accounts just to be in the RPD station. But whims and wishes are one thing, life doesn't always go thst way. I've had neverending downs since january, the house i bought had issues with water damage, my car literally broke down every month (from minor things to clutch and transmission failure at the same time) and in between my wife told me she's pregnant (which was the only fantastic news) - so i didn't have neither time, cash or the feeling to play it.

Fast forward to yesterday and she bought me the game as a gift for all the hardship i went through and for the stress in resolving every problem we had while taking care of her needs as a preggo with the order to take relax and game, as after 3 weeks when the little me gets out i won't have the time to game.

And i did...

Jesus christ this game is DOPE. The demo was nothing more than a apertizer! I just smacked Birkin for the first time and met Mr X.

The nostalgia is strong with this one, but the game isn't a douche that only looks like the cool guy he was. It's the perfect remake. The perfect organism.

From the graphics (PS4 Pro), to the sound design, the re-imagining of the police station - everything works!
But the gameplay, oh the meaty gameplay... I play on hardcore because i don't want autosave and i want to use the ink and i'm getting man-handled every other room. I'm constantly low on ammo and health, the zombies pour through every door and window and i feel that i can't shake off X.

Holy shit i waited for this 20 years, i was afraid they would fuck it up when they announced it but now i'm happy of the results.

Wish me luck guys, this will be my final game for some time, gonna grab a beer, get cozy under a blanket and finish it at least once witch both characters.
Nice one. Wish I could play through it for the first time again.

Good idea to start on hardcore, btw. That's the true path. Are you Leon or Claire?

Best of luck with the little one, and keep crushing.

Nickolaidas

I really enjoyed the majority of the game, i picked it up shortly after release. I agree that the gameplay is very good and i was pretty much addicted to its survival-horror design. But, what destroyed the game for me completely was the integration of Mr. X. It obliterated the atmosphere the game created, and i didn't like that. I could have modded it out (i played the PC version), but at that point i gave up. I knowledge, and respect the decision of Mr. X to be designed in the way it is in the game, i know why it's there, i know what it's doing, but i don't like it.
What did you hate about Mr. X? The fact that you stopped playing the game at your own pace and you had to take him into account in every single action / route? Cause I hate this stuff in games too.

However, I found that Mr. X wasn't THAT invasive in my playthroughs. Like the Alien in Isolation, I kinda adapted to his presence. Thankfully, you can also minimize the time he's stalking you if you gather all the resources and kill all the enemies that plague the RPD before you 'unlock' him. You can also choose to postpone said exploration if you leave the RPD and come back later - he's gone by then and you can pick the place clean at your leisure.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This game (I also played/am playing on Hardcore) is amazing. After going full clown with the Resident Evil series for so long (with highlights along the way), I completely doubted that Capcom could make anything remotely as good as ReMake again.

I was wrong. It’s better.

There’s a genuine case for this being the best entry in the series, or close. They nailed the modernization of classic RE.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still can’t believe Capcom actually managed to surpass the Remake of the Original. RE has been my favorite series since 97 and this game was like a dream come true for me. I loved everything about it. Literally the only thing that bothered me is that they goofed up the B scenario. With a full blown B scenario it would have been the best game ever made. Still my GotY and already one of my all time favorites but that half assed B scenario left such a sour taste in my mouth. Probably because the game is so perfect aside from that.

Doczu

Nice one. Wish I could play through it for the first time again.

Good idea to start on hardcore, btw. That's the true path. Are you Leon or Claire?

Best of luck with the little one, and keep crushing.

I'm playing with Leon, as i've read that there isn't any specific order to do the campaigns.

This game (I also played/am playing on Hardcore) is amazing. After going full clown with the Resident Evil series for so long (with highlights along the way), I completely doubted that Capcom could make anything remotely as good as ReMake again.

I was wrong. It’s better.

There’s a genuine case for this being the best entry in the series, or close. They nailed the modernization of classic RE.
Yeah, after 6 i was ready to drop the series. Revelations on the 3DS was a step in the right direction, 7 was a ambitious side step but this one is RE in it's prime.
So first playthrough on PC should I do hardcore with Mr. X modded out or keep him in?
I would go for hardcore if you are ready and willing to die a lot. Like a lot lot.
And i would leave X in. I can't mod him out anyway, but i've started to like him.

Arachnid

Keep Mr. X in

This is my current GOTY (unless I'm forgetting something) until Death Stranding comes to give it some competition. I would be completely OK with it taking the win.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So first playthrough on PC should I do hardcore with Mr. X modded out or keep him in?

In. He makes me so truly uncomfortable, leaving no place safe to relax, ever, but at the same time, I can’t deny that he’s a really memorable part of the game, and amps up the scares beyond anything I thought possible, at a point where most other games would be winding them down.

Hardcore depends on you. It’s most accurate to the old RE experiences, and I think, is the purest, most frightening expression of the game. If you do it, keep different save files along the way, rather than overwriting them, and ration out those save points to last!

In. He makes me so truly uncomfortable, leaving no place safe to relax, ever, but at the same time, I can’t deny that he’s a really memorable part of the game, and amps up the scares beyond anything I thought possible, at a point where most other games would be winding them down.

Hardcore depends on you. It’s most accurate to the old RE experiences, and I think, is the purest, most frightening expression of the game. If you do it, keep different save files along the way, rather than overwriting them, and ration out those save points to last!
sweet, I guess some people like the slow pace think about puzzles and explore aspect that X affects. Clair or Leon first? Mouse and Keyb or Controller?

-Arcadia-

Banned
sweet, I guess some people like the slow pace think about puzzles and explore aspect that X affects. Clair or Leon first? Mouse and Keyb or Controller?

That’s pretty much exactly it, I’d imagine.

I’d go controller, if you’re comfortable with it. Mouse is probably a little too accurate for its own good here — you don’t want the enemies to be too easy to take down.

Claire and Leon, it is just totally up to you. Both of them are great characters. I do think I recall hearing something about Claire having weaker weapons, and Leon having stronger ones?

Hardcore and leave him in. There are sections that will absolutely frustrate the fuck out of you (some bosses took me 20+ tries to beat) but it's worth it. Ammo management and deciding which enemies to kill and which to leave roaming becomes a puzzle of itself, and the heart palpitations you'll get from being chased by X makes it a great experience.

I played it with a mouse and still found it difficult. So I guess just go with whichever you find more comfortable.

And i did...

Congrats on the kid on the way. Your life is going to change. You will not have as much gaming time, but later on you can play together... It's worth it trust me.
As for hardships I experienced stuff when I bought this game, got diagnosed with a sickness (now cured, after months of treatment, thank God), my wife divorced me because she became a lying middle aged narccists who could never admit fault, apologize or say thank you, while she started risqué modeling after 8 years of marriage, not giving a shit about me or the kids (who are teenagers). Re2 got me through the brunt of that.

It's an amazing game remake. The fact that I finished it without moving to something else was amazing. They definitely didn't butcher or casualize the game.

Only good thing is now I have more time for gaming, but I'm 40 single and living in a new town where I don't know anyone but family.

Oh...to be young and full of hope again. Once the honeymoon period was over I had to come to terms with the fact that RE2make was a massive disappointment to me. Gameplay and atmosphere are both solid...rock solid. Unfortunately the game falls down hard in the story department and the B scenarios are fucking insulting and pale in comparison to how the original game handled them. I jumped right in on hardcore Leon A, then did Claire A, Leon B...and immediatley lost all motivation to even try to bother with Claire B. I don't hate it but it's not GOTY either. I got into speedrunning 4th survivor for a while and that was where I spent most of my play time. Eventually the RNG pissed me off (it becomes a huge problem somewhere between 7:30 and 8:00) and I quit that too.

Justin9mm

For someone who hasn't jumped in yet.. Do I start with Leon or Claire? I would gravitate towards Leon as I heard the weapons were different and heard the weapons are stronger and Leon has a shotgun which I would prefer. But if Claire experience is far superior than I would maybe go with her. I also don't see myself doing a second play through, too much other stuff to play.

Moses85

Finished the Game 8 Times so far and got the Platinum trophy.. There is nothing more to say then thanks. Tranks Capcom 😘

ksdixon

From a gameplay perspective I was very happy. Something about it recaptured the feeling of survival horror when compared with 4/5/6 etc. If 4/5/6 etc had have played exactly like this I would have been a lot happier...

I had issues with the story. Claire walking one Street away inbetween the opening cutsceen and meeting Leon, whereas in Leon's campaign you'd been dicking around the RPD for 45 minutes really didn't sit right with me. Plus then there's the issues like Annette dying several times, trapsing back and forth between two rooms between Claire and Leon. It all seemed rushed.

What did you hate about Mr. X? The fact that you stopped playing the game at your own pace and you had to take him into account in every single action / route? Cause I hate this stuff in games too.

However, I found that Mr. X wasn't THAT invasive in my playthroughs. Like the Alien in Isolation, I kinda adapted to his presence. Thankfully, you can also minimize the time he's stalking you if you gather all the resources and kill all the enemies that plague the RPD before you 'unlock' him. You can also choose to postpone said exploration if you leave the RPD and come back later - he's gone by then and you can pick the place clean at your leisure.

Yes, exactly. I then imagined that intrusive element while i'd puzzle solve. And i said, "no". Definitely not something i like, at all.

I never did try to adapt, i put the game on hold and never went back to it.

Doczu

Step by step i'm going further and deeper. I've got to say - every re-imagined location looks fantastic. I know i'm almost at the end of the game, can't wait to reply as Claire.

One question. Is it possible to NOT pick up every item in the police station? Specifically i can't find a second button to open the three digit lockers...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh...to be young and full of hope again. Once the honeymoon period was over I had to come to terms with the fact that RE2make was a massive disappointment to me.
I never understood the concept of "honeymoon period", I either liked the game or I didn't doesn't matter how much time passes.

Yes, exactly. I then imagined that intrusive element while i'd puzzle solve. And i said, "no". Definitely not something i like, at all.

I never did try to adapt, i put the game on hold and never went back to it.
Even though I loved it, the "stalking" feature should have been left out completely just for the sake of giving each RE game its own feel. We already had that mechanic in RE7 with the Bakers, and we all know it'll be a big part of the RE3 remake with Nemesis.

Doczu

Ok, so how the fuck do you beat

G4 during Claire's B scenario on Hardcore?
I just lost my second attempt. On the first run i've emptied all the minigun rounds, 10 acid and 20 fire grenades and the motherfucker just mowed through me. Second attempt and i added the shock gun with around 10 cartridges (tsking away my meds from the inventory). This time i wanted to conserve some ammo, as i've.read it would be needed for the ladt battle and i unloaded the same amount of grenades, all the shock charges, around 200 minigun rounds and the ass just ripped me a new one.
Am i doing something wrong? Are some of my hits not connecting? I know the weakspot.
I'm used to be beaten like a crackwhore for some smack but this is overkill.

Don't bother shooting heads on hardcore, unless it's one time. You'll want to stagger the zombies so you can run by them, saving you ammo. They're fucking bullet sponges.
Aim for their joints/limbs for a stagger then run on by.

Top Bottom