• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake pitched today

ksdixon

I feel like I remember a brief, but beautiful, time where players agreed that both REmake and RE4 were some of the best horror games ever made without fans feeling threatened by the differences between the two.

I understand that RE2 Remake is an opportunity to have a style of game fans haven't had since 2002, but we don't need to put RE1-3 and RE4 against each other for another ten years. We shouldn't tear down each other's games in an attempt to build up our favorites.

RE4 didn't ruin Resident Evil. Its juggernaut sales shifted the direction of the series in ways even RE4 fans hated, but it's not fair to say that the visions realized in RE4 weren't in the spirit of the best Resident Evils.

Resident Evil, as a fanbase, is already a broken base because of the divide between the older players who love the classics versus the newer games that sell better. We do ourselves no favors by putting our games against each other.

I don't know if a RE2 remake could work in RE4 style. Probably not. But many fans are still waiting for a real follow up to RE4 the same way fans are waiting for a real follow up to REmake. We must be friends. We are all siblings of the heart.

Now, let's all hug and say one thing we all like about each other.

I still think that there was nothing wrong with the classic gameplay. It always seemed somewhat "rigged" to say that that style of gameplay no longer worked.

"Oh, Remake didn't sell well enough, clearly people don't like this style of game anymore. Lets cancel Remakes of 2, 3 and CV, and then change the entire gameplay style".
Uh... no, you just released it on the GameCube instead of PS2. GameCube that has a traditionally kid player-base, and only the most hardcore Resident Evil fan is going to buy a GameCube for the REmake, if they have no interest in the NGC otherwise.

"Oh RE Zero sold badly, and reviewed poorly."
Well yeah, still on the GameCube buddy, only now the story is really bad with us fighting mostly against giant animals, it introduces inconsistencies with the timeline regarding Dr. Marcus and the location of his lab; and like SEGA with recent Sonic games, the entire game seemed to be paid a diservice by the gimmick it tried to force (trading items).

"Oh Code Veronica isn't well recieved? Gotta change the gameplay style quick."
Again... just no. First of all it's released on the DreamCast, and SEGA had already burned it's fanbase with the CD, MegaDrive32X and Saturn. If you had no other interest in a DC, you weren't picking one up just for Code Veronica. Those that did... found out that it lacked all the gameplay improvements from RE3 (180' quick turn, dodge, nemesis choices) the zapper system from RE2.. so immediately it felt like a step backwards from a gameplay standpoint. I personally hated the story itself on top of the gameplay disapointement. I found it both boring and stupid (superhuman Wesker) at the same time.

I don't think anyone ever said RE4 was a great horror game. A great action game, perhaps. I personally never liked it, but I could see how some did (and from what I understand it was an early prototype of todays modern TPS controls). I still think there were enough gameplay mechanics between RE2, RE3, RECVX, DinoCrisis2 and RE:Outbreak to continue in that style and still modernize the gameplay as you went. If anything, Dino Crisis should have gotten the RE4 style of fast paced/actiony gameplay. It makes more sense there against equally fast paced lizards than it does in a zombie outbreak against zombies or infected human mutants we got in later games.

Now... and I can't explain why... but considering I have such a hate for RE4,5,6 gameplay, I actually really like how RE REV 2 controls gameplay-wise. So it's even worse than classic vs action fans being split, there's now essentially 3 lines of gameplay styles that different pockets of fans like, Classic, Action and Revelations styles.

I sort of like... half agree. I don't agree completely, but it's definitely the first RE in a long time to scratch some of that old school itch. Perhaps it's the story, characters and atmosphere. It just felt closer to older RE despite the gameplay.

Even in gameplay, I felt it had the right essence. Obviously, it's not nearly as profound in level design and mechanics as for example REmake, but it at least had dumbed down versions of things that I expect in survival horror and it tangibly scaled down TPS tropes. No weapon shop, no loot, no QTEs, significantly less ,,enemy wave'' moments (and the ones introduced were definitely more panic inducing than things like the RE4 ,,Mike'' section) and more quiet parts, plus at very least some kind of exploration, puzzle solving, moody atmosphere/art+sound design and even some new mechanics that were definitely horror orientated.

Now... and I can't explain why... but considering I have such a hate for RE4,5,6 gameplay, I actually really like how RE REV 2 controls gameplay-wise. So it's even worse than classic vs action fans being split, there's now essentially 3 lines of gameplay styles that different pockets of fans like, Classic, Action and Revelations styles.

We're doomed!

Remake sold insanely well on the digital platforms this year, so I think this is more or less a lock. We wouldn't even know otherwise.

ksdixon

What do people actually want from RE2make? I feel like there would be some difference of opinions. Here's what I want:

Controls & Camera:
REmake GameCube style. Traditional 'tank' controls with fixed camera angles. I do not want RE4/Modern controls or over the shoulder shooting, but perhaps the REmake HD Port option of having the modernized non-tank controls is a good thing for those that want it.

New Content & Fixing Story Details:
Like Remake, I want new areas to the RE2 locations, such as the Spencer Mansion gaining the wing with the suit of armors, and Lisa Trever's area under the main hallway stairs. You could use RE2 Remake to address some of the storyline inconsistencies between RE2 and RE3 such as the boarded-up doors and smashed window where Nemesis jumped through it not being present in RE2, 24 hours after they happened.

Extras:
I will want to be able to get to the RPD and kill Brad without firing a shot, and getting costumes for Leon and Claire from all the games they have RE appeared-in, and as a nod towards RE3's Regina from Dino Crisis costume, it would be nice to run around as Claire in an Elza Walker costume.

Bl@de

What do people actually want from RE2make? I feel like there would be some difference of opinions.

I want the same style and quality of REmake. Only with the story of 2. So basically like you. Nothing more. REmake was perfect, can't improve a perfect game. For suplexes and other crap they have RE7.

Sanctuary

A completely linear corridor shooter in which you kill more enemies than in the entire previous series combined and collect fucking loot from enemies to pimp your weapons had absolutely no DNA of a horror adventure series focusing on Metroidvania exploration, puzzle solving, item management and fewer but more striking enemy encounters.
Unless you consider green herbs the series' essence. Or two returning character names, even though the characters themselves were completely different too.

You must have either a) not actually played the original games and are romaticizing having to run around, searching for keys and cranks (LOL Metroidvania, WTF?) and b) don't really understand what made the games so compelling. It wasn't just the limited ammo or herbs. You can stay a raging fanboy all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that RE4 didn't ruin the series and it was still very much an RE game, unlike 5+.

I want the same style and quality of REmake. Only with the story of 2. So basically like you. Nothing more. REmake was perfect, can't improve a perfect game. For suplexes and other crap they have RE7.

What do people actually want from RE2make? I feel like there would be some difference of opinions. Here's what I want:

Controls & Camera:
REmake GameCube style. Traditional controls with fixed camera angles, and ''tank controls''. I do not want RE4/Modern controls or over the shoulder shooting, but perhaps the REmake HD Port option of having the modernized non-tank controls is a good thing for those that want it.

Like Remake, I want new areas to the RE2 locations, such as the Spencer Mansion gaining the wing with the suit of armors, and Lisa Trever's area under the main hallway stairs. You could use RE2 Remake to address some of the storyline inconsistencies between RE2 and RE3 such as the boarded-up doors and smashed window where Nemesis jumped through it not being present in RE2, 24 hours after they happened.

Extras:
I will want to be able to get to the RPD and kill Brad without firing a shot, and getting costumes for Leon and Claire from all the games they have RE appeared-in, and as a nod towards RE3's Regina from Dino Crisis costume, it would be nice to run around as Claire in an Elza Walker costume.

I'm in the boat of wanting it to be like REmake with the option to have non tank controls for those that want it.

Mr_Zombie

Idk why people wouldn't want more of this.

This is rock punching type of shit right now it's just gold

Because this is supposed to be a horror game. If your characters start to act like superheroes who can easily overcome the threat it's no longer a horror - just pure action game. Look at RE4, 5 and 6, where enemies (especially those more common ones) become a punching bags and are real danger only when there's a lot of them. In previous RE games a single zombie could fuck you over, in post-RE4 games Ganados, Majini and J'avo - even though they are faster, more intelligent and usually carry a weapon of some sort - can do jack shit to you.

LOL. Just....LOL.

The funny thing is, this would be a decent cut-scene if only they kept it simple: make Ada simply shoot Mr. X (like she used to in the original RE2) instead of using rocket-in-the-lipstic and make the kiss scene normal. But for some reason they had to go over the top with it.

I still think that there was nothing wrong with the classic gameplay. It always seemed somewhat "rigged" to say that that style of gameplay no longer worked.

"Oh, Remake didn't sell well enough, clearly people don't like this style of game anymore. Lets cancel Remakes of 2, 3 and CV, and then change the entire gameplay style".
(...)

"Oh RE Zero sold badly, and reviewed poorly."
(...)

"Oh Code Veronica isn't well recieved? Gotta change the gameplay style quick."
(...)

If you read reviews from the time you could see that people (reviewers) grew tired of the formula. Even though each game brought some new features, reviewers usually kept complaining about tank controls, static camera angles, limited save system, backtracking etc. etc. So it wasn't just Capcom releasing new games exclusively on consoles with small user-bases.

You must have either a) not actually played the original games and are romaticizing having to run around, searching for keys and cranks (LOL Metroidvania, WTF?) and b) don't really understand what made the games so compelling. It wasn't just the limited ammo or herbs. You can stay a raging fanboy all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that RE4 didn't ruin the series and it was still very much an RE game, unlike 5+.

Uhm, no. Pre-RE4 games were basically adventure games where you were running around collecting things and using them in a right spot, solving puzzles and evading and/or killing monsters with your limited resources. In post-RE4 games you are usually just running straight with little to no backtracking and most of the time is spent on you killing monsters for which you collect more ammo and herbs (or money for upgrading your guns) to be able to kill even more monsters. Killing monsters became the main point of the game instead of exploration and puzzle solving. Whereas in pre-RE4 games a couple of zombies could easily overcome you, in post-RE4 games you could easily overcome a whole village chasing you.

And how is RE4 a "very much an RE game" while RE5 is not? RE5 basically copies RE4 enemies, level structure and gameplay adding few new things (more melee weapons, co-op, possibility to return to previous chapters, on-rail section here and there - although one could argue that RE4 already had that too).

Controls & Camera:
REmake GameCube style. Traditional controls with fixed camera angles, and ''tank controls''. I do not want RE4/Modern controls or over the shoulder shooting, but perhaps the REmake HD Port option of having the modernized non-tank controls is a good thing for those that want it.

Extras:

I want a full fucking gigantic RE2/3Make that combines all of those campaigns (RE3 Day 1, RE2 Scenario A, RE2 Scenario B, RE3 Day 2, 4th Survivor) into a giant multi-chapter game. A few Lickers in RE3, one or two Drain Deimos in RE2, but I also want to meet the Mayor's daughter during RE3 Day 1, maybe bump into Nikolai very very briefly during RE2, that sort of thing. Mesh them together tastefully and faithfully but resolve the inconsistencies and add new details that fans will love.

3D environments (for the sake of cutscene direction and interactivity/physics) with fixed-ish camera angles (some fully fixed, some 'tracking camera,' a la Code Veronica) and classic RE lock-on aiming, but with the ability to unlock RE4 gameplay after you beat the game (with a reasonable amount of support for stunning/dropping enemies by shooting different body parts and so on, but with the added handicap of losing the lock-on aiming). No melee moves outside of the knife, though. (I'd be down for the classic -and- RE4 mode both making the knife something you always have equipped and not taking up an inventory space, though - outside of code: veronica the knife never did much for you in the classic games, so i wouldn't consider it some kind of huge crutch to give it to the player, and it'd come in handy for basic desperation stuff, could maybe get a counterattack thing worked into the RE3 dodge system if you have frame-perfect 1/60th second timing, et cetera).

Gigantic unlockable postgame RE3-style Mercenaries mode for unlocking powerups and costumes (with multiple available courses/routes so it'd run through RE3 maps and RE2 maps). No more speed-running in order to get superweapons.

So, yay or nay on Crimson Heads being in the remake?
Crimson Heads wouldn't work that well with RE2's levels because there's not nearly as much running through the same areas in that game - you can be done with the police station really quickly and that's the only area that really tries to loop back on itself a lot.

I'd like to see new elements that'd similarly keep players on their toes (though I think Nemesis kinda accomplishes some of that for RE3), but Crimson Heads specifically wouldn't necessarily be a great fit for RE2's game design since there's nothing quite equivalent to the Mansion. If anything, I'd prefer an expansion of the zapping system so that you could accidentally do things to make Scenario B *much* harder for yourself.

Ralemont

not me

Yep. Mainline series can keep with improving RE6's action mechanics, but for stuff like this I want REmake style.

AdaWong

don't give us dumb things like these and I'll be fine
mPeOQz.gif

Y'all can also thank your precious RE4 for the fact that Leon and Ada are now cartoon super agents/cops.

Because I preferred Ada when she was an actual corporate spy, rather than a character who'd fit in a Kingsman.film.

STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM

NOW WE HERE

Resident Evil's very own Mary Sue: Ada "Bruce Wayne" Wong

Latter re2 levels do loop back on each other, but they're too small and will have to be expanded upon in the remake. In particular, the factory area before the lab (1.5) and the expanded lab (1.5, outbreak) need to be included.

ksdixon

Crimson head lickers. Gotta surprise people.

Oh god... Crimson Head Lickers!

You know... I want to take a few cues from RE3 and the Umbrella labs chapter of Outbreak File 2. Introduce Drain Demons, that other simillar infected fly thing from RE3, Hunters and that Regies Licker thing into RE2 if the story/timeframe allows for them.

Also,
in RE0, there's a point where you revisit the mill yard and lab from RE2, giving you a small taste of what an RE2 remake would be like.
Come on Capcom, we're already 1/80th of the remake being done!

Sanctuary

Latter re2 levels do loop back on each other, but they're too small and will have to be expanded upon in the remake. In particular, the factory area before the lab (1.5) and the expanded lab (1.5, outbreak) need to be included.

Maybe this time they will fix the seemingly level design oversight of the sewers lab area.

Watch where Ada and Leon start off, then how Leon travels through "game level design" to somehow end up in the same spot Ada does, despite the fact that she dropped down two floors, while Leon remained on the same plane throughout. Unless the camera angle just obfuscates the sewers being descending ramps until it's level again.

https://youtu.be/Uof88qFlgQs?list=PLCzdZGBJCgdumC8_tYKuE_3lMI-ZkmygE&t=5418

ksdixon

Mr X totally needs Nemesis' ability to follow you through doors. Imagine that guy following you through the RPD, as you double-back and have to deal with Crimson Head Lickers, zombies etc.

I also think that RE3's zombie variety needs to return. RE3 had zombies that were faster than others, and they made a beeline for you when you dropped them, crawling fast and cornering you if you gave them half a chance. These are the types of gameplay improvements that RE3 brought to the table that could have been expanded-upon.

Bl@de

Mr X totally needs Nemesis' ability to follow you through doors. Imagine that guy following you through the RPD, as you double-back and have to deal with Crimson Head Lickers, zombies etc.

Forget doors. I want him to punch trough (certain destructible) walls and grab me and then throw me against another wall. A mean killing machine destroying everything in its way. Imagine that when you play it for the first time...

And then it gets real good. Imagine there is a zombie in his way and he simply rips it apart to get to you. The game needs to be dark and gruesome. A true survival horror game. It could be sooooo good....

Forget doors. I want him to punch trough (certain destructible) walls and grab me and then throw me against another wall. A mean killing machine destroying everything in its way. Imagine that when you play it for the first time...

And then it gets real good. Imagine there is a zombie in his way and he simply rips it apart to get to you. The game needs to be dark and gruesome. A true survival horror game. It could be sooooo good....

I'd also like to see Mr. X interact with other monsters such as the Cerberus dogs, zombies and maybe even Birkin. Surely Birkin and Mr. X came across each other as they were both pursuing the same people. On that note, I'd like to see more Birkin encounters and have him be more a stalker in the remake.

ksdixon

Crimson Heads wouldn't work that well with RE2's levels because there's not nearly as much running through the same areas in that game - you can be done with the police station really quickly and that's the only area that really tries to loop back on itself a lot.

RE2 has quite a bit of backtracking, doens't it? At least depending on the scenario you're playing, I remember back-tracking through both the sewers and the umbrella labs. Plus, if these Remakes add new storyline pieces (Lisa Trevor), I assume they also change some details too? I'm sure that Outbreak won't ever get remade, so you could retell some of the RE2 chapter bits in this new re-telling and have them happen to Leon/Claire instead. Like Irons fucking with the poison gass in the RPD, or having to explore the expanded umbrella labs to get specific keycards or items etc.

ksdixon

Oh yeah! I forgot Mr X came busting through some walls. What a Bad Ass! I know what you mean with X attacking the zombie, I remember if you positioned Nemesis properly, he would obliterate zombies with his rocket launcher.

RE2 has quite a bit of backtracking, doens't it? At least depending on the scenario you're playing, I remember back-tracking through both the sewers and the umbrella labs. Plus, if these Remakes add new storyline pieces (Lisa Trevor), I assume they also change some details too? I'm sure that Outbreak won't ever get remade, so you could retell some of the RE2 chapter bits in this new re-telling and have them happen to Leon/Claire instead. Like Irons fucking with the poison gass in the RPD, or having to explore the expanded umbrella labs to get specific keycards or items etc.
RE2 has some backtracking, but not nearly to the degree as RE1 (all of which kinda takes place in the same environment). It's more like it has several different environments each of which takes up a few hours.

I think Crimson Heads work great with RE1 precisely because they pop up largely in the second half of the game. In RE2's second half, you're no longer still in the police station. If anything, Crimson Heads applied to RE2 would feel like punishment for taking too long in the police station rather than a resource management issue to weigh the pros and cons of.

Sanctuary

I hope they add in a new monster or two, just to keep us on our toes.

Like: Crimson Lickers!

Uhm, no. Pre-RE4 games were basically adventure games where you were running around collecting things and using them in a right spot, solving puzzles and evading and/or killing monsters with your limited resources. In post-RE4 games you are usually just running straight with little to no backtracking and most of the time is spent on you killing monsters for which you collect more ammo and herbs (or money for upgrading your guns) to be able to kill even more monsters. Killing monsters became the main point of the game instead of exploration and puzzle solving. Whereas in pre-RE4 games a couple of zombies could easily overcome you, in post-RE4 games you could easily overcome a whole village chasing you.

And how is RE4 a "very much an RE game" while RE5 is not? RE5 basically copies RE4 enemies, level structure and gameplay adding few new things (more melee weapons, co-op, possibility to return to previous chapters, on-rail section here and there - although one could argue that RE4 already had that too).

I've been playing each of the mainline games (none of the on rails stuff) from day one. I don't know, maybe it's because I replayed them so much that I actually notice how RE4 clearly shows its roots, despite the arcade like update? I've also heard the argument before that RE5 is "basically just RE4 again", when it feels nothing like it. What do all of the games have in common up until RE5, even the "not RE RE4"? Atmosphere and tension. Even with the huge surplus of ammo in RE4, it's not like you were fighting the same sluggishly paced zombies from the previous games. Despite it being focused more on action, that doesn't lessen the tension. It also still had a lot of joybuzzer scare moments or simply "oh shit" moments in general.

RE5 had no tension, and the atmosphere was mostly destroyed. Also, for whatever reason the controls were somehow overall worse. People can bemoan RE4 ditching the "classic", slower paced shooting mechanics and limited ammo, but that doesn't make it not an RE game. It just wasn't a "classic gameplay RE". RE5 was just a forced co-op shooter, singleplayer or no. I also don't get the gripes about the puzzle solving. It's not like they were actually in any way complex, and felt entirely out of place. Especially in the second game.

bryanee

I'd like to see new elements that'd similarly keep players on their toes (though I think Nemesis kinda accomplishes some of that for RE3), but Crimson Heads specifically wouldn't necessarily be a great fit for RE2's game design since there's nothing quite equivalent to the Mansion. If anything, I'd prefer an expansion of the zapping system so that you could accidentally do things to make Scenario B *much* harder for yourself.

Having crimson heads a carry over to scenario B would work I guess. What ever zombies you do get rid off properly make it harder during scenario B.

RE2 definitely doesn't need any new monsters added. It already has zombies, lickers, crows, dogs, spiders, plants, roaches, moths, a giant crocodile, the embryo that rips out of Ben and Chief Irons, and two giant stalkers in Birkin and Mr. X. And naked zombies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'd also like to see Mr. X interact with other monsters such as the Cerberus dogs, zombies and maybe even Birkin. Surely Birkin and Mr. X came across each other as they were both pursuing the same people. On that note, I'd like to see more Birkin encounters and have him be more a stalker in the remake.

most likely outcome

vONnaA.gif

vV1O5E.gif

KzrE2g.gif

I feel like since Japan is in love with UE4 it'll be on that...but I think it'll be some trickery to still have the sexy lighting but with modern pre rendered backgrounds...but I don't know...there has to be some realistic budget etc for it. If they do pre rendered backgrounds they have to be natively like 4k or something, future proof it etc rather than just going 1080p. Or have some godly scaling solution.

ksdixon

RE2 has some backtracking, but not nearly to the degree as RE1 (all of which kinda takes place in the same environment). It's more like it has several different environments each of which takes up a few hours.

I think Crimson Heads work great with RE1 precisely because they pop up largely in the second half of the game. In RE2's second half, you're no longer still in the police station. If anything, Crimson Heads applied to RE2 would feel like punishment for taking too long in the police station rather than a resource management issue to weigh the pros and cons of.

Maybe not the zombie Crimson Heads so much in the sewers, but can't the Crimson Head mechanic be applied to any BOW or was it something specific to zombies for storyline reasons? I know there was Giant Spiders in the sewers, and I feel like those two fly-style monsters from RE3 would fit well there. Drain Deimos and Chimera.

artsi

I feel like since Japan is in love with UE4 it'll be on that...but I think it'll be some trickery to still have the sexy lighting but with modern pre rendered backgrounds...but I don't know...there has to be some realistic budget etc for it. If they do pre rendered backgrounds they have to be natively like 4k or something, future proof it etc rather than just going 1080p. Or have some godly scaling solution.

I guess it would be easier to just create 3D environments with static cameras. Lighting is a piece of cake, can be rendered at any resolution and UE4 can push some great visuals even in real time.

Ganondorfo

How very sure are all of you that it's going to be officially announced and if true, do you think it will happen during TGS.

Manu

Maybe not the zombie Crimson Heads so much in the sewers, but can't the Crimson Head mechanic be applied to any BOW or was it something specific to zombies for storyline reasons? I know there was Giant Spiders in the sewers, and I feel like those two fly-style monsters from RE3 would fit well there. Drain Deimos and Chimera.

Lickers are created an improved version of by the same mutation that created Crimson Heads.

So, in RE2, you could make any zombie you don't burn turn into a Licker.

ksdixon

Lickers are created an improved version of by the same mutation that created Crimson Heads.

So, in RE2, you could make any zombie you don't burn turn into a Licker.

Oh wow. And considering you only have that little lighter, and don't get the flamethrower until the umbrella labs to deal with the plant mutants... Dayumn.

Crimson Head Lickers would be just the thing to get me to stay far away from an RE2 remake.

I don't mean that in a "wow what a shitty design decision" sort of way but more from a "I don't know if I'd be able to play this without shitting myself" kinda way, haha.

ksdixon

Seems the overall concensious for RE2make is to do it like REmake (traditional tank controls, with optional non-tank controls from Remake HD Port, and correcting storyline inconsistencies between REZero, RE2, RE3 and Outbreak, whilst adding-in new parts simillar to Lisa Trevor). I personally would like for it to feature RE3's gameplay mechanics of Quick Turn, Dodge etc.

Given the simillar timeframe overall, a matter of days I believe, between RE2, RE3 and Outbreak, it just remains to be seen how much of RE3 and Outbreak different people would want to be transplaneted into an RE2make such as monsters, characters, retold events etc.

ksdixon

No but reinventing a series allowing for the finest action game ever made is.

Not if it doesn't fit the astetic of the series to begin with. If Dino Crisis had have recieved RE's action-orientated gameplay overhaul, I don't think a single person would have complained. DC2 was already way more action-y than DC1. With RE4,5,6 they really messed-up what RE was. Now we fight mutants who can regenerate blown-off body parts and hold guns for Christ's sake. It's rediculous. It feels like a new IP all together, and only Revelations 2 (didn't play Rev 1, maybe Rev 1 as well) feels like it's even starting to get anywhere near the old style again.

Top Bottom