• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 remake is still a dope game despite its flaws

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm on a roll after completing RE4, so I figured I'm gonna go back to one of the earlier games to get my fix of Resident Evil.

But the one that I gravitate towards the most every time I'm thinking about replaying one of the RE:engine games, I go for RE3. I've been thinking about why is that, and I think it's because of the following reasons:
  1. Jill Valentine
    She's is my favorite character in the series, hands down. And this version in particular is pretty badass and an overall good character. Great updated design (honestly I was getting tired of seeing Julia Voth all the time, never was a fan of hers), good voice acting, decent writing. She kicks ass and she's likeable but also doesn't just shrug off all the abuse that she's taking throughout the game which humanizes her a lot. A great example of a good female lead in a video game.
  2. Carlos
    Yeah the new hairdo looks stupid but I also like him as a character, and he has a pretty good chemistry with Jill.
  3. Nemesis
    At least the first couple of stages, before he turns into a dog thing and you fight him twice in a recycled boss fight. I nearly shat myself during that whole opening sequence it was so awesome. And once he's running lose around town and you have to avoid him in gameplay, he really feels menacing ike he did in the original... but again, at least until he mutates into a giant dog.
  4. Scripted set pieces
    It's pure spectacle but they're just so well made that I can't help but to enjoy the hell out of them, they're just exciting and tense and the visuals are great.
  5. Optimized combat
    I like the more action oriented approach and the addition of dodge move with perfect dodge slow-mo. The shooting mechanics just feel tighter than in RE2 or even RE4 and it makes shooting zombies more enjoyable. Therefore, from a gameplay perspective the game is just more fun to play.
Now, obviously, there's a lot of asterisks to this. It's not a perfect game and it sucks that they ditched some of the more iconinc moments and locations from the original. But what's in there is still very enjoyable to play.

L*][*N*K

Banned
That game felt like it needed a year in the oven, to add more content, the relationship between Carlos and Jill didn’t develop well, I feel like the train section from the original game is a long sequence of quests and I wish it stayed that way in the remake, otherwise it was beautiful and played well

Skifi28

I finished it for the 5th time yesterday as I double-dipped on PC just because. I haven't played RE4 remake yet, but 3 is my favourite recent RE so far. As disappointing as the cut content may be, every other aspect of the game is just perfection and I can replay it endlessly.

emivita

The one thing I loved the most?

queue reaction s GIF

Now, obviously, there's a lot of asterisks to this. It's not a perfect game and it sucks that they ditched some of the more iconinc moments and locations from the original. But what's in there is still very enjoyable to play.
I love it too, but it's a bittersweet love for me. As someone who never played the original, even I could tell it wasn't a "complete" game. I really wish it had gotten the level of treatment RE2 did.

Astral Dog

Its an ok action game (and it looks pretty) but as a Remake of the original game it falls short , as well as a survival horror game it could have been so much more, i wouldn't want Resident Evil to go in that direction and im glad the Resident Evil 4 Remake project was 'rebooted' to be developed by the main Capcom production team

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
I need to sit down and play it, I put in about a couple of hours when it first came out and it wasn't clicking, which happens with a lot of games I now really like and even love.

Umbasaborne

Banned
For sure. I have no love for the origjnal, so to me it was just a fun ass action game. Its no masterpiece like 2 remake is, but its still a very good time.

Valt7786

It's a great game in its own right. Like, what's there is great, except for nemesis, he's really shit in this. it's just overshadowed by what could have been and what was removed. It could and should have been so much more than it was.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I'm on a roll after completing RE4, so I figured I'm gonna go back to one of the earlier games to get my fix of Resident Evil.

But the one that I gravitate towards the most every time I'm thinking about replaying one of the RE:engine games, I go for RE3. I've been thinking about why is that, and I think it's because of the following reasons:
  1. Jill Valentine
    She's is my favorite character in the series, hands down. And this version in particular is pretty badass and an overall good character. Great updated design (honestly I was getting tired of seeing Julia Voth all the time, never was a fan of hers), good voice acting, decent writing. She kicks ass and she's likeable but also doesn't just shrug off all the abuse that she's taking throughout the game which humanizes her a lot. A great example of a good female lead in a video game.
  2. Carlos
    Yeah the new hairdo looks stupid but I also like him as a character, and he has a pretty good chemistry with Jill.
  3. Nemesis
    At least the first couple of stages, before he turns into a dog thing and you fight him twice in a recycled boss fight. I nearly shat myself during that whole opening sequence it was so awesome. And once he's running lose around town and you have to avoid him in gameplay, he really feels menacing ike he did in the original... but again, at least until he mutates into a giant dog.
  4. Scripted set pieces
    It's pure spectacle but they're just so well made that I can't help but to enjoy the hell out of them, they're just exciting and tense and the visuals are great.
  5. Optimized combat
    I like the more action oriented approach and the addition of dodge move with perfect dodge slow-mo. The shooting mechanics just feel tighter than in RE2 or even RE4 and it makes shooting zombies more enjoyable. Therefore, from a gameplay perspective the game is just more fun to play.

I just did 100% of the game a minute ago,

Veery boring game. If i was Capcom CEO, i would release a Nemesis Edition or something.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I beat the game like 10 times in a span of two weeks earlier this year. I was surprised by how cohesive it feels when speed running. You dont really have to skip any enemies. You play like normal and you can still beat the game in under two hours.

My first playthrough took just 7 hours and I was like thats too short, but after returning to the game 3 years later, i have a greater appreciation for all the single player content they put in. Loved doing all 50 or so challenges to get new gear and items. What a blast this game turned out to be.

sainraja

I think it is also my favorite of the recent remakes, even if they cut out a lot. But I do wish they hadn't. RE4 is fine but they kept the cheesiness factor which bothers me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
People selling their copies of RE4R already? :) just joking - I’m still playing 4 remake and it’s leagues, mountains better. So much more work put into 4.

3 had some very cool parts to it. It’s not a terrible game. It’s just so short. It’s a lightweight RE if you ask me. The ending area looks amazing. It was just light and exploration felt so limited.

Madflavor

It's a good $20 game, but I still can't believe to this day that they got away with selling this game at $60.
  • Game was far too short, even by Resident Evil standards. I think I beat it in 5 hours the first time I played it. I sat down at 6pm and was done by 11pm. I couldn't believe it.
  • Nemesis was not as intimidating as he should've been. There was no buildup to his appearance, his encounters were completely scripted (fine for 1999, not for 2020), and he transformed way too soon. Plus his design looked ridiculous. Guy was a complete downgrade from Mr. X, when Mr. X should've been the prototype for Nemesis.
  • They cut out way too many areas, and didn't replaced them with anything good. Goodbye Clocktower, The Dead Factory, Raccoon City Park, The Graveyard, City Hall, and The Press Office. Not to mention cut enemies like The Gravedigger.
  • Branching Paths cut from the game.
  • Mercenaries cut from the game.
  • Only 1 Alternate outfit.
  • You spend 30-40% of the game playing as Carlos. A fine character, but this is Jill's game.
  • Jill's character was off. Jill is supposed to be a calm, collected, and kind woman. In the Remake she comes off like a trash talking Xbox Live Player.
  • Her iconic line "You want STARS? I'll give you STARS!" is uttered when she's running from Nemesis down a generic hallway, instead of saying it right before she blows a fucking Greyhound Bus sized hole through his head. A nitpick? Maybe, but come the fuck on.
Did the game look great? Yes. Did it play great? Yes. But it clearly didn't get the same amount of love RE1R and RE2R did, and it's a shame, because what we ended up with was a half baked entry in the series. If RE3R in it's current form got released as a $20-30 DLC for RE2R, it probably would've been better received.

Jill's new design was hot af tho.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It was my fave RE but I'm thinking 4 may surpass it in the end. We'll see. I played it through about 12 times so far. Got all achievements and unlocks on two platforms. I love the combat roll and I'm sad that I have to do some awkward duck in Remake 4 instead when Leon has had the most training. Granted the parry is cool, but why not both?

Last edited:

cireza

I played the game several times and still can't see the flaws. If anything, it is much more enjoyable than RE2R which stayed a bit close to the original with its stupid locked doors everywhere. I think that this is my favorite RE game in the end. I simply can't deal with the inventory and constant backtracking because of keys/locked doors/no room in inventory. In RE3R, it felt much less annoying than in the other games.

I will probably buy RE4R at some point, when it will be cheaper.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I didn't hate it nearly as much as the community did. I honestly had a lot of fun with it and found it really enjoyable.

That being said, my biggest complaints were/are.....
  • Restricting Nemesis to specific areas and removing his random spawning/stalking. It was so lame seeing him Spider-Man out of areas when you'd trigger his appearance and exit.
  • The removal of choosing your path throughout the experience. It felt very different at the time, and it still would when RE3R dropped. Also added some more elements of replayability. Just felt so odd to remove it.
  • Removing the Clock Tower. I never thought it had any issue being there, having it present would've certainly done the game more favors.
Again, I enjoyed what I played. But out of the 3 remakes (RE2R, RE3R, RE4R), RE3 is easily the worst, though it's still a good game. Not great IMO, but good. Though I feel like the OG is still great.

In the long run I definitely enjoyed it more than Village, so there's that!

Last edited:
I also like it more than RE2 Remake. I understand when people complain about it being short, but it doesn't make sense to love RE2 Remake and hate RE3 Remake at the same time. They're basically the same game, same gameplay mechanics, same graphics, same everything expect for one being a bit more slow paced and focused on survival (RE2) and the other emphasizing action.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Agree, but it wasn't worth the price of admission for the 6 hours it lasted.

drotahorror

I still have not even played it outside of the demo. I've got it installed, modded up with dope bitches, just need to get around to playing it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I really enjoyed it. I never played the original. Same thing with RE2.

Enjoyed both, but do like RE2 more.

K' Dash

I love it, as much as I replayed RE2R I replayed this a ton more, it’s short, sweet, it’s fun to shoot and the sidestep mechanic is amazing when you get the hang of it.

Also, Jill looks amazing, eye candy all trough the game.

cireza

So simply put you don’t like survival horror games.
I don't know at what point we lost all common sense and thought that "surviving in a hostile place" became the synonym of "managing a ridiculously small inventory and constantly backtracking because the 67th door is locked with the 23rd key".

I only have one slot left in my inventory. I am going to put that shotgun in it. Damn, now I have just found a tiny key, but it takes as much space as my shotgun ! I am too dumb to put in one of my sixteen pockets.

Deep Fear on Saturn was excellent in that regard as it wasn't constantly putting the player in front of locked doors, nor forcing you to backtrack because you left the heart key in box (while taking all others, no luck !). Project Zero Maiden of Black Water was also great and you don't get stupid inventory management.

I like all kind of games as long as they are not wasting my time and have good gameplay.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't know at what point we lost all common sense and thought that "surviving in a hostile place" became the synonym of "managing a ridiculously small inventory and constantly backtracking because the 67th door is locked with the 23rd key".

I only have one slot left in my inventory. I am going to put that shotgun in it. Damn, now I have just found a tiny key, but it takes as much space as my shotgun ! I am too dumb to put in one of my sixteen pockets.

Deep Fear on Saturn was excellent in that regard as it wasn't constantly putting the player in front of locked doors, nor forcing you to backtrack because you left the heart key in box (while taking all others, no luck !). Project Zero was also great and you don't get stupid inventory management.

I like all kind of games as long as they are not wasting my time.
Not to start any arguments but I think you're simply mistaking survival games with survival horror games. Survival horror is a very specific genre with its own characteristics, one of which is inventory management. Arguably modern horror games have very little to do with a classic survival horror genre that was in its peak during the PS2 era of gaming. Resident Evil is one of the very few games that carries on that old tradition, with the only significant changes being the camera perspectives.

RE 3 is a wonderful game for anyone who wants an introductory game for the art of speed running and doing perfect runs, and honestly I think the real meat and potatoes of this game starts after you beat it the first time. The way it's built all the way down to level layout, enemy layout, and item placement compliments both, and I had a blast getting to 100%.

cireza

Not to start any arguments but I think you're simply mistaking survival games with survival horror games. Survival horror is a very specific genre with its own characteristics, one of which is inventory management. Arguably modern horror games have very little to do with a classic survival horror genre that was in its peak during the PS2 era of gaming. Resident Evil is one of the very few games that carries on that old tradition, with the only significant changes being the camera perspectives.
So if my understanding is correct, the difference is that in survival games, you actually have interesting survival mechanics, while in survival horror games, you have to live through the horror of the most annoying inventory management and doors/keys layout, and try to survive it.

In that case, I most certainly don't like survival horror games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Deep Fear on Saturn was excellent in that regard as it wasn't constantly putting the player in front of locked doors, nor forcing you to backtrack because you left the heart key in box (while taking all others, no luck !). Project Zero Maiden of Black Water was also great and you don't get stupid inventory management.

I like all kind of games as long as they are not wasting my time and have good gameplay.
In you perspective inventory management and finding key for locked doors is “bad design” but for me and most others is what we love about survival horror games. I enjoy resource management in my survival horror games and exploring in order find secrets doors and useful items.

Last edited:
So if my understanding is correct, the difference is that in survival games, you actually have interesting survival mechanics, while in survival horror games, you have to live through the horror of the most annoying inventory management and doors/keys layout, and try to survive it.

In that case, I most certainly don't like survival horror games.
I feel bad, because whoever sold you on Resident Evil 3 Remake, clearly didn't do a good enough job of describing survival horror to you and made you waste your time and money.

Top Bottom