• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 – Before The Beginning [SPOILERS]

cvxfreak

This is a thread that helps people who are playing the Resident Evil series for the first time get up to speed on the story aspects of RE4, and provides a deep look into what went on before Leon enters the Pueblo village. This is filled with spoilers – do not look below if you want to find out everything for yourself.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Before Leon Was Around

Before Resident Evil Zero
Umbrella is founded in the first half of the century by Ozwell E. Spencer, James Marcus and Edward Ashford. Ashford and Spencer discovered the Mother Virus in Africa, and James Marcus refined it into the Progenitor Virus (or Primogenitor Virus as William Birkin called it). Leech DNA is combined with the Progenitor Virus to create the T-Virus, which is short for Tyrant Virus (Marcus found Spencer to be a ‘tyrant’ – hence the name). Ashford is as ambitious as Marcus, and merges the DNA from a queen ant with the T-Virus to create the T-Veronica Virus. And William Birkin, another ambitious young man, although much later, creates two viruses – the G-Virus and Wesker’s Super Power Virus. He creates the G-Virus by taking the daughter of the architect of the mansion built outside Raccoon City, and infusing her with the Nemesis Parasite, the T-Virus and a lot of other dangerous shit. So we have…

Progenitor Virus
Refined from the original Mother Virus. Not very powerful on its own.

T-Virus
Stands for Tyrant Virus. Turns humans into zombies, although merging it with “Beta hetero non-serotonin” creates Tyrants. Amphibians become Hunters, crows become vicious flesh eaters, dogs become decomposed and super flexible, and zombies exposed to a second wave of T-Virus become Lickers. Among others.

T-Veronica Virus
Combining the gene of a queen ant with the T-Virus yields this. Named after Veronica Ashford (CODE: Veronica!!!). It takes the host 15 years to cope with the virus, as Alexia Ashford went through. Albert Wesker has a sample from Steve Burnside’s body.

G-Virus
Created inside Lisa Trevor, daughter of George Trevor, architect of the Spencer Mansion. Injecting her with the T-Virus, Ebola Virus, Nemesis Parasite and other toxins yielded the G-Virus inside her. The G-Virus regenerates dead cells, but mutates the host into a constantly-mutating, killing machine. Hunk and Ada Wong escaped with samples of the virus after Raccoon City exploded.

Resident Evil Zero
Umbrella’s experiments in the Spencer Mansion, as well as the convenient revival of James Marcus, whom in 1988 was assassinated in the middle of an experiment by Birkin and Wesker (hence William Birkin sometimes is credited with the invention of the T-Virus). Marcus survived when he ate a leech, the same leeches that produced the DNA that merged with the Progenitor Virus to create the T-Virus. Marcus becomes one with the leeches… quite literally. In May 1998, Marcus sabotages the Spencer Mansion and spills the T-Virus there. Owned are the researchers…

In July, Marcus returns and unleashes leeches on an Umbrella passenger train, and his former place of work, the Umbrella Research Center.

Some of the zombies filter into Raccoon City streets and murder innocent civilians. After weeks of this happening, the Raccoon City Police Department dispatches the two S.T.A.R.S. groups to the Arklay Mountain, Raccoon Forest area to find the perps. First to go is Bravo Team.

Bravo flies via chopper to the forest, where their helicopter crashes. They discover an overturned vehicle that was supposed to transport a man convicted of killing 23 people, Billy Coen. He’s discovered to be on the loose, and the mission changes to finding Coen. Rebecca Chambers, one of the members, stumbles onto a stopped train. She finds Billy on board, and the train starts up. Billy and Rebecca decide to cooperate to survive. They discover zombies and leeches throughout the train, which ends up at the Umbrella Research Center. Marcus reveals himself to Billy and Rebecca, and he unleashed his virus upon Raccoon City to have revenge of Birkin and Wesker. Billy also reveals his life story; he was a Marine in Africa, where a civil war was breaking out. His commander killed 23 people, not him, so he was wrongly convicted. Billy and Rebecca, after reaching the reservoir area of the Arklay River, kill Marcus as the URC and the surrounding area explode. Rebecca and Billy part their ways; Rebecca heads to the Spencer Mansion.

Resident Evil
Bravo Team’s been missing for a day, so Alpha Team members Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Barry Burton and Albert Wesker, as well as Brad Vickers and Joseph Front, fly to the forest to search them out. They find Bravo’s chopper with the pilot, Kevin, dead. A skirmish with zombie dogs scares Brad as he flies the chopper away, forcing Chris, Jill, Barry and Wesker into the Spencer Mansion, which by now Rebecca’s successfully reached. After discovering secrets of Umbrella and zombies and the death of all Bravo members except Rebecca, and the responsibility of Wesker behind all of this, Chris, Jill, Barry and Rebecca destroy the Tyrant on the premises and escape when Brad returns in the chopper. The Spencer Mansion blows up.

(Wesker at this point has injected the Super Virus into his body, so when the Tyrant impales him, he magically lives. He joins an organization that rivals Umbrella, HCF and vows revenge on S.T.A.R.S.).

Leon’s Role

Resident Evil 2 – September 29-30, 1998
By this point, Raccoon City has been infected and completely overrun with zombies (at this point, Jill Valentine is unconscious at the St. Michael Clock Tower – play RE3). At the same time, the various characters from both Outbreak games are running around trying to escape the city (play Outbreak File 1 + 2).

Leon S. Kennedy, meanwhile, is on his way to work at the Raccoon City Police Department when he is ambushed by zombies. Meeting up with Claire Redfield, who’s looking for her missing brother Chris, they escape the zombies to the RPD building (after getting separated). Leon meets Ada Wong, who he discovers to be an agent out for the G-Virus, created by William Birkin. After discovering Birkin’s lab, Ada either sacrifices herself for Leon to survive against a Mr. X Tyrant seeker unit, or falls to her doom. If the former is true, Leon does see Ada alive after her death, but ultimately concludes that she’s dead. Reuniting with Claire, who’s befriended Sherry, the daughter of Birkin, the three escape Raccoon City with knowledge of Umbrella behind the incident.

Post-Raccoon City
“Leave us alone.” Claire Redfield couldn't believe Leon's words. Leon continued, “You're looking for your brother, right? Just go!” Claire knew that Leon and Sherry needed immediate medical attention, but she could not waste anymore time. "I... I'll be back. I promise!" She said as she disappeared into the wilderness alone...”
– Claire Redfield’s Epilogue, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Despite the fact it seems like Claire and Leon are parting ways, they do keep in contact with each other in the following months (play CODE: Veronica X). With Claire and Leon separated, and Sherry hanging out with Leon, Leon and Sherry are captured by the American government…

HUNK – 4th Survivor (in the RE2 universe)
Hunk was the leader of the French Umbrella team who went after William Birkin’s G-Virus. Acquiring a sample of the G-Virus and narrowly surviving the mutated Birkin’s onslaught, HUNK escapes and turns the G-Virus into Umbrella France. Months later, HUNK would be in charge of transporting the T-047 Tyrant over to Rockfort Island, which Claire Redfield would destroy. HUNK’s mission will not be relevant until 4 years later.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis/Resident Evil Outbreak/Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 – October 1, 1998
Jill Valentine, Carlos Oliveira, Barry Burton, Nicholai Ginovaef, as well as Kevin Ryman, Cindy Lennox, Yoko Suzuki, Alyssa Ashcroft, Mark Wilkins, David King, George Hamilton, and Jim Chapman escape Raccoon City just as it’s nuked by the American government. Because of the actions taken, the US government halts all involvement in Umbrella. Others take notice, and Umbrella’s stock begin to fall, but the effects aren’t seen until after 1998 concludes days after CODE: Veronica X. In fact, the death of Umbrella proper comes at least 4 years following the events of Raccoon City…

“Leon Scott Kennedy is confronted with a man who claims to be a US government agent. Leon says, "Leave Sherry alone. She is innocent." "She knows too much," the man replies. He looks at Leon and says, "But you have value. This is a good deal. Make your choice." Without regret or hesitation, Leon closes his eyes and then sharply responds...”
– Leon S. Kennedy’s Epilogue, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Leon does indeed join the US government and spends six years working against Umbrella. He immediately gets to work against Umbrella.

Resident Evil Survivor – November 1998
Leon sends his friend, Ark Thompson, who works for the same organization, to investigate Sheena Island, an Umbrella-owned city which manufactures Tyrant Mr. X units by capturing prisoners from various places on Earth and torturing them. Ark Thompson immediately confronts Vincent Goldman, and a skirmish leaves them both unconscious. Ark loses his memory, and thinks he’s Vincent Goldman. As Ark discovers information about the now-contaminated Sheena Island and the crimes of Vincent Goldman, Ark believes himself to be a killer. Discovering two children, Lott and Lily, Ark rediscovers his memory, and the island, because of the real Vincent Goldman, is blown up with them escaping.

Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X
Our buddy Leon makes himself useful by relaying a message sent to him by a captured-turned-freed Claire Redfield to Chris Redfield, a surviving member of the “Mansion Incident” (play REmake). In CVX, Claire gets captured in Paris while trying to infiltrate an Umbrella laboratory. Taken to Rockfort Island, Claire escapes thanks to a wounded guard, and meets up with Steve. Claire and Steve offend the island’s operator, Alfred Ashford. Claire and Steve escape before Alfred blows the island up, but they are rerouted to Antarctica, where they manage to finally kill Alfred. Unfortunately, they’re captured by his twin sister, Alexia, who has just awaken from years of sleep absorbing the T-Veronica Virus.

Chris Redfield, receiving Leon’s message (go Leon!), arrives on Rockfort. Thanks to Rodrigo, who freed Claire, he discovers Claire already escaped before Rodrigo is killed. Chris meets up with Wesker, who’s been alive since the Mansion Incident, which Wesker was ostensibly responsible for. Moving onto Antarctica, Chris reunites with Claire, but because of Alexia, Steve is killed. Chris destroys Alexia, but meets Wesker again. Chris and Wesker duke it out as the base explodes, but no one wins. Wesker decides to save his bout with Chris for another day. Claire and Chris escape, and vow to destroy Umbrella… and you know what, the job gets done.

The Death of Umbrella
In Resident Evil 4’s introduction video, Leon describes the death of Umbrella, but he’s given you the basics. The destruction of Raccoon City required military presence, in addition to the nuke. Investigations were also set up. In short, the United States government had its hands tied up with the affair.

Some parts of Umbrella decided to strike back.

(Outbreak File 2 Spoiler)
Yoko Suzuki’s Testimony
Upon surviving Raccoon City, Yoko Suzuki, along with a woman named Linda, who also survived Raccoon, goes to court to testify against Umbrella. This testimony helps build the US government’s hate for Umbrella.

Resident Evil Dead Aim – September 2002
Morpheus Duvall, a former Umbrella worker, steals vials of the T-Virus from the Umbrella Paris Lab, the same lab that Claire Redfield had infiltrated. Duvall hijacks an Umbrella cruiser, the Spencer Rain. From the Spencer Rain, Duvall makes threats to the American and Chinese governments, demanding that they capitulate to his monetary demands as well as allow him to build an empire in Africa. If they don’t cooperate, Duvall threatens to launch missiles containing the T-Virus into China and America. The American government, already aware of the disaster caused by Umbrella, sends Bruce McGivern to investigate the Spencer Rain and eliminate Duvall. In typical Gun Survivor fashion where the hero meets the enemy at the beginning, Duvall is mortally injured but manages to get away. Similarly, the Chinese government sends Fong Ling to take care of Duvall. Working together, Fong Ling and Bruce crash the Spencer Rain onto the island that contains Duvall’s missiles. Duvall, meanwhile, merges the T-Virus with the G-Virus. Having acquired his samples from Paris, the G-Virus sample he used came from the sample HUNK took directly from Birkin. The TG-Virus is what a wounded Duvall uses to survive, but he becomes a female Tyrant. However, this virus allows Duvall to maintain his thoughts and memories. The Duvall Tyrant is wiped out by Bruce, and the missiles containing the T-Virus are wiped out by him and Fong Ling.

It’s only logical to conclude that being threatened with missiles Cold War-style sealed the lid on Umbrella’s operations worldwide. As Leon says, the company’s stocks fall, and the company is finally destroyed.

Resident Evil 4 Begins
Six years, a missile crisis and several disasters later, Umbrella is now dead. Although Leon’s job is theoretically done, he sticks with the US government and obtains a new mission: to rescue the daughter of President Graham, Ashley.

cvxfreak

NotMSRP said:
The RE Prologue in the Gamestop CE spells Sherry as Sherri and uses Claire A/Leon B in the description.

We all know GS is a reliable source for RE information. :D

Let's not forget Carlos Riviera, even though it's Oliveira, and so on. It's just a fanfic, and a poorly made one at that.

EDIT: I added one more paragraph to the "Death of Umbrella" section. :D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
To follow this up, the aftermath of Resident Evil 4. I am putting this entirely in spoiler tags to be safe, but only a small part of this has to do with the in-game story. Do not read until you beat the game!!

Evil Returns.

Leon's mission to rescue the President's daughter, Ashley Graham, revealed that Saddler's plan to use parasites controlling people as a way for him to rule the world has nothing to do with the Umbrella corporation. However, the hired mercenary, Krauser, and the second "intruder," Ada Wong, were both revealed to be working for someone formally associated with the Umbrella corporation.. During the course of the events leading to the demise of Saddler, Krauser is thwarted by Leon, but Ada is able to escape with a sample of the parasite, to give to her boss, Albert Wesker.

When you play through the mini-game "Assignment Ada," the ending further reveals that
Wesker, talking to Ada in his only storyline-related cameo in the game, plans to use the samples to rebuild Umbrella from the ground up.

Sagitario

I don't like the RE games, I don't like survivor-horror games, but I've always loved the RE storyline... maybe RE4 will be my first RE4 (everybody say that's is like the 2nd coming of Christ ("... is that good...")... there must be some truth :) )...

Lyte Edge

hey CVXFREAK, I thought Code: Veronica X showed that Steve wasn't actually dead, as Wesker took off with his body?

Cain

Awesome. Now I'm not so sketchy on the details.

I could went without reading half of the first line of that RE4 spoiler, though. Luckily, self-control kicked in so all I got was
plan to use parasites

Luckily, I'm not far enough for that to make any sense.

cvxfreak

Lyte Edge said:
hey CVXFREAK, I thought Code: Veronica X showed that Steve wasn't actually dead, as Wesker took off with his body?

Well, it can go either way. I thought for sure Steve would show up and be the Ada Wong of RE4, but he didn't.

Farore said:
I don't like the RE games, I don't like survivor-horror games, but I've always loved the RE storyline... maybe RE4 will be my first RE4 (everybody say that's is like the 2nd coming of Christ ("... is that good...")... there must be some truth :) )...

Seriously, regardless...No matter what you've thought of the Resident Evil series in the past, you must give RE4 a try. It's such a phenominal game, and stands alone from the rest of the survival horror genre.

cvxfreak

No problem people; thanks for the compliments.

If people want some Zero and REmake information, I'll add it, but info for those games isn't necessary because of Leon's lack of involvement.

Deg

Banned
Farore said:

Its nothing like the old games so dont hesitate.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I havent beaten RE4 yet, but is there any mention of Umbrella's former leader Lord Spencer? He's mentioned quite a lot in RE0 and CV but there's really been no information about whats happened to him, at least so far in the game.

Lyte Edge

I never played Resident Evil Zero...is Lord Spencer the robed guy in the beginning sequence? What happens to him? I know the game ends with Rebecca and the other guy going their seperate ways, but no clue about anything else.

Amir0x said:
That was seriously awesome, CVXFreak. Props.

CVXFREAK is the master of Resident Evil FAQs/info. He should be doing the guides for Capcom. :D

cvxfreak

Lyte Edge said:
I never played Resident Evil Zero...is Lord Spencer the robed guy in the beginning sequence? What happens to him? I know the game ends with Rebecca and the other guy going their seperate ways, but no clue about anything else.

Nope, that's the other founder of Umbrella, James Marcus. He was first formally introduced into the RE series in the N64 RE2, I think.

Lyte Edge said:
CVXFREAK is the master of Resident Evil FAQs/info. He should be doing the guides for Capcom. :D

Thanks. :D

But I don't ever want to become a professional guide writer. Not my style. My writing has taken a downturn in terms of frequency, my most recent FAQ being a PSP Hardware one.

Hopefully, you'll read a nice column in a future issue of OPM, but more on that later.

CVXFREAK hopefully you can help me answer a questionn I have. Now I have only played and beaten REmake and REC:V so naturallty I don't know everything, but one thing I was wondering is in the beginning of REC:V at the part where Claire checks the computer with Steve (where the metal detectors are) she states something to the effect of "I've got to warn Chris that he's being monitored by Umbrella" sending him an email. Now in the opening FMV it states that Claire infiltrated Umbrellas Paris facility LOOKING for Chris. So if she knows his email address why is she looking elsewhere???

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How about we make this the official RE story thread? Give a summary of all the stories of the REs, chronologically? :p (You left out a few)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
What I can't really forgive is how the series kind of ended the main branch of its storyline in 2000 with Code: Veronica. In the end, Claire and Chris ride off in a Harrier jet to blow up Umbrella. Did that ever happen? I always felt like it was such a super satisfying game (CVX was my favorite RE until RE4) with a cliffhanger ending.

cvxfreak

Synbios459 said:
CVXFREAK hopefully you can help me answer a questionn I have. Now I have only played and beaten REmake and REC:V so naturallty I don't know everything, but one thing I was wondering is in the beginning of REC:V at the part where Claire checks the computer with Steve (where the metal detectors are) she states something to the effect of "I've got to warn Chris that he's being monitored by Umbrella" sending him an email. Now in the opening FMV it states that Claire infiltrated Umbrellas Paris facility LOOKING for Chris. So if she knows his email address why is she looking elsewhere???

Watch the cut-scene closely. Umbrella KNOWS the wherabouts of Chris. It's on the computer itself. Therefore, Claire emails Leon, who isn't captured, and Leon forwards the message to Chris (by mail, or telephone, or something).

...now why Leon didn't go himself (which would have been faster considering he worked for the U.S. government) is beyond me. Until RE4, he made a habit of sending others to do his dirty work. :D

Sagitario

Damn, now I'll definitely buy as soon as I get money (I just paid the semester -_- )... So... how scary is it? (Yes, I'm a coward =P )

CVXFREAK said:
If people want some Zero and REmake information, I'll add it, but info for those games isn't necessary because of Leon's lack of involvement.

Please do... :)

cvxfreak

Defensor said:
Very informative CVXFREAK! BTW, are the voice actors for Leon and Ada from RE2 the same for RE4?

Ada's is the same, but Leon's isn't.

And I was afraid someone would bring up Gaiden.

Basically, I'm not touching that with a forty-foot pole.

B'z-chan

Banned
Thank you CVXfreak for posting this. Its been helpful in filling in the gaps from RE games that i tried to play and just never got to playing again (gun survivor games) its also help me remember more about the insane storyline. Its so good

Lyte Edge

CVXFREAK said:
And I was afraid someone would bring up Gaiden.

Basically, I'm not touching that with a forty-foot pole.

Clearly, neither was Capcom. It's obvious they want to forget about it from RE4's story especially. :)

Odnetnin

Banned
Great read CVXfreak. You're the RE fellow on this board. I'm quite intrigued by the plot areas filled in by the off-shoot RE genres.. pity I don't want to play them. I'm surprised they killed annoying leonardo decaprio clone "steve" in recv but I couldn't play that game to completition (was probably 1/2 hour - 1 hour to completion too).

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Great breakdown CVX!

I hate to nitpick but I think some of your dates are off. I seem to recall RE2 taking place on September 28th and RE3 taking place on September 28th-29th. The reason I remember is because September 28th happens to be my birthday so those dates always stuck with me.

Lyte Edge

chespace said:
What I can't really forgive is how the series kind of ended the main branch of its storyline in 2000 with Code: Veronica. In the end, Claire and Chris ride off in a Harrier jet to blow up Umbrella. Did that ever happen? I always felt like it was such a super satisfying game (CVX was my favorite RE until RE4) with a cliffhanger ending.

Same here, but what happens in RE4 shows that
they clearly aren't finished with the Umbrella storyline yet, and Wesker is very much still the main villain.
They still haven't provided an explanation on what happened with Claire and Chris, but that's easily addressed in a sequel.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Lyte Edge said:
Same here, but what happens in RE4 shows that
they clearly aren't finished with the Umbrella storyline yet, and Wesker is very much still the main villain.
They still haven't provided an explanation on what happened with Claire and Chris, but that's easily addressed in a sequel.

True. All I want to know is, what happened 6 years ago with the Harrier jet? :)

demi

Doom_Bringer said:
So will there be a Resident Evil 5 or what?

After the PS2 version, and the Xbox Resident Evil 4X (with Xbox Live downloadable guns), sure there might be a slight chance of a sequel.

Between you and me, I wouldn't keep my hopes up. *wink*

demi said:
After the PS2 version, and the Xbox Resident Evil 4X (with Xbox Live downloadable guns), sure there might be a slight chance of a sequel.

Between you and me, I wouldn't keep my hopes up. *wink*

:lol

I wanna see RE on ANY next gen console.

cvxfreak

JC10001 said:
Great breakdown CVX!

I hate to nitpick but I think some of your dates are off. I seem to recall RE2 taking place on September 28th and RE3 taking place on September 28th-29th. The reason I remember is because September 28th happens to be my birthday so those dates always stuck with me.

RE2 is the 29th. Wesker's Report I confirmed it to be so. RE3 is on the 28th and the 1st, again thanks to Wesker's Report (and Jill's own words).

...speaking of the Wesker's Reports, I think I'll add those in once more people start beating RE4.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
CVXFREAK said:
It's the 29th. Wesker's Report I confirmed it to be so.

...speaking of the Wesker's Reports, I think I'll add those in once more people start beating RE4.

Well then there are continuity issues then. I haven't viewed Wesker's report but there were several documents in RE2 and RE3 that pointed to September 28th being the day of the outbreak in Racoon City. I need to break out Wesker's report and review it. I've had it forever but I never took the time.

cvxfreak

JC10001 said:
Well then there are continuity issues then. I haven't viewed Wesker's report but there were several documents in RE2 and RE3 that pointed to September 28th being the day of the outbreak in Racoon City. I need to break out Wesker's report and review it. I've had it forever but I never took the time.

Wesker's Report says it's in full effect on the 28th; the Outbreak games to hint at the outbreak occurring a day or two before. But I'm positive my dates are correct.

Top Bottom