• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4, 5, 6 – Announce Trailer (PS4/Xbox One)

feel free to hate me for this but I kinda hope there's a 99 cent unlockable Hand Cannon, I've unlocked that shit on my GameCube, PS2, and PS3 already and I don't want to do it a fourth time

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I was never able to get used to aiming with the left stick so I'm hoping that with this edition of RE4, we'd be able to with the right stick.

You can choose this as control setting in the pc version, so imagine you'll be able to. If you can't like in the ps3 version then for shame capcom.

Soodanim

feel free to hate me for this but I kinda hope there's a 99 cent unlockable Hand Cannon, I've unlocked that shit on my GameCube, PS2, and PS3 already and I don't want to do it a fourth time
Yes you do. You will bravely shotgun Super Salvador in the face once more.

Also I love how they build up to the best game. They know it themselves, and so they should.

Nerrel

That's kind of the point. Discovering the laboratory in BIO2 is a repeat of discovering the laboratory in BIO1. Jill already knows the dark side of Umbrella, giving BIO3 an arc of uncovering Umbrella's secrets wouldn't work.

I see your point and do think it works just fine as far as the story goes, but in terms of gameplay it just doesn't feel as climactic or memorable. The only thing I can always vividly remember about the waste facility is the water room puzzle. The entire lab from RE2 is etched into my brain, and not just because of the big build up to it. There were so many great moments and set pieces there, and RE3's facility comes up a little shorter. The final boss is pretty great, though; the scale of the fight and the rail cannon puzzle might make it better than the RE2 bosses (which were pretty much just running around a room and shooting Birkin/Mr.X).

If anything, comparing them just demonstrates how great they both are and how well they complement each other. I definitely hope they'll design REmake 2 with the idea that a future Nemesis remake will slot in. There are a lot of continuity errors introduced by 3 that they can correct and in general a lot of opportunities to tie the games more closely.

I'll buy RE4 again. I used to have the game on my PS2 years ago but I quit playing because the spooky and horror atmosphere was too much for me. Hopefully I can finish it this time around.

KaoteK

Fucks sake, looks like I'll be buying 4

Again

for the 4th time

Even though I have the Ultimate Edition on PC.

Fuck you very much Capcom.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Gimme something gewd. Don't wanna wait, I want it naooo! Na-na-na-NAO!
I know. I think I'm more excited about this than anything else. Finally RE6 at 60fps and party chat. And then RE5. *sigh* waiting sucks.

News Bot

Banned
There are a lot of continuity errors introduced by 3 that they can correct and in general a lot of opportunities to tie the games more closely.

There are none. The only one that could be construed as a continuity error is the broken mirror, but level design is pretty meaningless to the story and BIO2 itself has inconsistent level design. No bearing on plot. The games shouldn't be tied, that would actually introduce continuity errors. They were written and developed entirely separately with exactly zero overlap. It should stay that way. The suggestion of combining two fully fledged games just because they take place in the same week but in completely different areas is annoying. Now remaking two games and releasing them as a single package is fine, but they should stay separate.

Nerrel

There are none. The only one that could be construed as a continuity error is the broken mirror, but level design is pretty meaningless to the story and BIO2 itself has inconsistent level design. No bearing on continuity. The games shouldn't be tied, that would actually introduce continuity errors. They were written and developed entirely separately, and outside of ten minutes in the R.P.D. on a different day, have exactly zero overlap. It should stay that way. The suggestion of combining two fully fledged games just because they take place around the same time but in completely different areas is annoying.

What I meant is that the debris blocking corridors and other elements from RE3 don't exactly match up with what was seen in RE2. At times, it's as if someone came in with a dumpster between games and carried off a lot of the obstructions. "Fixing" these issues could be as simple as making sure the debris seen in RE3 is still present in RE2, whether it's thrown aside or on the floor. It doesn't have to be something that would meaningfully intrude on the gameplay.

The main issue is that RE3 tried to recycle the RPD with as little work put into altering it as possible. Knowing now that this environment is seen earlier in RE3, they could invest some more time and thought into how things changed between games and make it consistent. One thing they absolutely have to change is the window Nemesis breaks through in the stairwell room. It definitely needs to be broken when the characters pass by it in RE2.

I don't really want to see any changes forced elsewhere, that wasn't what I meant to imply. The games should stay separate for the most part. I just want to see a better connection where they do meet.

This looks amazing. Are they redoing the lighting too? Detailed textures look a little odd with that outdated lighting engine

No, but they are baking some shadows and faux ambient occlusion into a lot of their work so that it will have the illusion of depth. Outside of that, they've managed to add things like specular highlights and bump mapping. Actual lighting changes would have to be forced from outside in some way, which no one seems to have been able to reliably do at this point. There's an ambient occlusion option here, but it may be kind of janky. With any luck, this mod will inspire people to look into modding the effects more closely.

Ooccoo

I guess I'm getting too old for this shit, but playing old gen games with a coat of paint isn't why I bought a PS4 in the first place. Unless there are significant changes and surprises, these look like easy cashgrabs for Capcom.

News Bot

Banned
What I meant is that the debris blocking corridors and other elements from RE3 don't exactly match up with what was seen in RE2. At times, it's as if someone came in with a dumpster between games and carried off a lot of the obstructions. "Fixing" these issues could be as simple as making sure the debris seen in RE3 is still present in RE2, whether it's thrown aside or on the floor. It doesn't have to be something that would meaningfully intrude on the gameplay.

The main issue is that RE3 tried to recycle the RPD with as little work put into altering it as possible. Knowing now that this environment is seen earlier in RE3, they could invest some more time and thought into how things changed between games and make it consistent. One thing they absolutely have to change is the window Nemesis breaks through in the stairwell room. It definitely needs to be broken when the characters pass by it in RE2.

I don't really want to see any changes forced elsewhere, that wasn't what I meant to imply. The games should stay separate for the most part. I just want to see a better connection where they do meet.

I agree with you that they should make those small additions, but putting some debris around is so small it isn't really a "fix" in my opinion. Maybe someone did clean them up, or used the debris elsewhere? It's not illogical and it doesn't hurt the narrative at all. Even the mirror is grasping as it's something most people don't notice or care about, so it doesn't dampen the experience.

The R.P.D. was included because Jill had a logical reason to go there to see if it was a suitable shelter. She discovers it's not, then scavanges and leaves. All within about ten minutes. The R.P.D. is a tiny, tiny part of the game. It is more of an easter egg.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I agree with you that they should make those small additions, but putting some debris around is so small it isn't really a "fix" in my opinion. Maybe someone did clean them up, or used the debris elsewhere? It's not illogical and it doesn't hurt the narrative at all. Even the mirror is grasping as it's something most people don't notice or care about, so it doesn't dampen the experience.

The R.P.D. was included because Jill had a logical reason to go there to see if it was a suitable shelter. She discovers it's not, then scavanges and leaves. All within about ten minutes. The R.P.D. is a tiny, tiny part of the game. It is more of an easter egg.

That's not how easter eggs work, tho.

Neiteio

I was replaying RE6 tonight. Took me a while to shake off the rust, but I followed my own guide and got back into the groove. Playing Mercs on Urban Chaos, so many interactions make me smile: The way zombies dissolve while still standing, or how you can slide across the hood of a police car, or how you can pop heads with a running jump kick, or snipe multiple dogs with the quick shot, or slide past firefighters and spin around to shoot their oxygen tanks. Helena's quick shot with the Hydra, somersaulting and striking a pose, and her elbow drop finishing move are all kinds of badass. Slick mechanics and oodles of style. Great fun — looking forward to playing it on PS4, which I presume will deliver 60fps at 1080p (and with support for video recording — nice)!

Anung

Un Rama
I'm not expecting them to fix Resident Evil 6's problems but I'd be really happy if they deleted the rubbish prologue from the game and severely reduced the health of the last few bosses.

I'm still exiting though and will double dip on each (quadruple dip for Resi 4?) and no doubt buy the psychical release for the collection cause I'm a sucker for Resident Evil like that.

I was replaying RE6 tonight. Took me a while to shake off the rust, but I followed my own guide and got back into the groove. Playing Mercs on Urban Chaos, so many interactions make me smile: The way zombies dissolve while still standing, or how you can slide across the hood of a police car, or how you can pop heads with a running jump kick, or snipe multiple dogs with the quick shot, or slide past firefighters and spin around to shoot their oxygen tanks. Helena's quick shot with the Hydra, somersaulting and striking a pose, and her elbow drop finishing move are all kinds of badass. Slick mechanics and oodles of style. Great fun — looking forward to playing it on PS4, which I presume will deliver 60fps at 1080p (and with support for video recording — nice)!

Neiteio
I'm sure you are super popular and have many RE fans/friends,
but could I one day coop with you in RE6?

My PSN is zy--

Neiteio

Neiteio
I'm sure you are super popular and have many RE fans/friends,
but could I one day coop with you in RE6?

My PSN is zy--

I'm already looking at a possible co-op run with The Xtortionist in RE6, but no other plans for co-op so far. I'm always open to playing with new people, though, and I appreciate the thought.

Thing is, I'm very busy with my job (journalist), so I'm never quite sure what kind of time block I'll be able to carve out (or how I'll be feeling at the time). But I'll keep your offer in mind. Thanks. :)

C'mon Capcom! Give us more info on the release.

Gamefly is listing RE6 as a March 29th release. This is the boxart they're using

re63azkn.jpg

Greddleok

Great, another console I'll buy 4 for and still give up after the 1st boss. Why can't I just like that damn game? It ticks all the boxes, but I can just never get into it.

Top Bottom