• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 PC is out?

Dave1988

Pud said:
It's absolutely obvious by the environmental assets, the textures and the (lack of) lighting that the PC port is based on the inferior PS2 version of the game, which is a shame. It could've turned out well, but turns out to be a cheap port. Ubisoft ftl!

Grrr.... Ubisoft is ONLY the publisher of this game. SourceNext is the real culprit.

Frenck

Banned
Pud said:
It's absolutely obvious by the environmental assets, the textures and the (lack of) lighting that the PC port is based on the inferior PS2 version of the game, which is a shame. It could've turned out well, but turns out to be a cheap port. Ubisoft ftl!

The PS2 version looks much better than the PC version, it's just a shitty port. And the GC version wouldn't look that great on PC either, RE4 has crappy low-res textures in every version.

Wow, there really is NO lighting at all in the pc version? I think its almost certain that the screens where taken with lighting turned off.

Does ANYBODY on here actually have a copy of this, so that they can dig around in the options and stuff or make sure these screenshots weren't just taken by an idiot?

Pud

Banned
Frenck said:
The PS2 version looks much better than the PC version, it's just a shitty port. And the GC version wouldn't look that great on PC either, RE4 has crappy low-res textures in every version.

The PS2 is the bottom screen... and it looks worse. What I meant was, if you look at the tri-screen comparisons, it's quite obvious by the geometry and the placements of textures/objects that the PC version is based on the PS2 version, not the GC version. The recorded FMV cutscenes are an equal giveaway to that fact.

Sure the GC version wouldn't look good with upscaled textures, either... but it would look better than this PS2 port. At least it has lighting :lol

Frenck

Banned
You think the bottom picture looks worse than the one on top?

Sure, you can blame the FMV videos and the simplified geometry on the PS2 version, but not the crappy textures and lack of lighting.

Here is another comparison, the PS2 version clearly looks better.

After Onimusha and DMC this is just what I was expecting.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I stopped caring at 'no mouse control/30fps max'.

Playing RE4 on the Wii on a big ass screen points out some things about the GC version I don't like...like the 16-bit color.

Frenck said:

Sure, you can blame the FMV videos and the simplified geometry on the PS2 version, but not the crappy textures and lack of lighting.

Check his post history and quit while you're ahead.

Pud

Banned
Frenck said:

My post history has nothing to do with the fact that aside from the missing lighting (of which was simplified in the PS2 version anyway), the top screen looks much more crisp, and has some AA applied as well - with an overall 'less muddy' look. It looks less colourful, if that's what you're implying, but again the porthouse would've been better off starting from the GC version instead of using the PS2 version. Lack of lighting is a big part, but so are incredibly low-res muddy textures.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yes, there really are no options at all in the menu (just resolution - highest is 1024x768, invert aim, and quick knife type). The game runs in letterbox mode on a 4:3 monitor, but there is a widescreen option. it looks worse than the PS2 version.
these are straight caps from FRAPS>photoshop.
56k death

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

edit: i love that photobucket down-rezes everything now. :(

vpance

Patch that fixes lighting and etc is finally out. For Euro version only.

Before
re45ai4.jpg

After
re41ph2.jpg

Before
re46bx7.jpg

After
re43na8.jpg

Before
re44kp5.jpg

After
re42vh0.jpg

And some more pics
re4pc.png

re42-1.jpg

re4pc1.jpg

re41-2.jpg

re4pc2.jpg

Patch notes
1. Changes from ver1.1.0
----------------------------------------
> General adustments and improvements made to graphics, lighting, and effects.
> Rare issue causing the game to freeze when skipping cut scenes addressed.

From gamespot forums

Patch here

Looks like the shaders and lighting will be only as good as the PS2 version, but there seems to be fog in one of the pics. PS2 version didn't have fog IIRC.

That made a huge difference. Now I am tempted to pick it up just to replay RE4 (sold GCN version last year). Just waiting for some kind of kb/mouse support.

Z3F

Banned
Wow, that patch makes an amazing difference. I might actually give it a try even though I already have both the PS2&GC versions.

M3d10n

Wow, that's much, much better. Now it's just like the PS2 version but in higher res, with AA and AF. But I'd rather they used the GC art assets and lighting instead.

indie85

Banned
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but am I the ONLY person who cant get passed that god damn boulder scene?
I cant press sprint button any faster and it gets me every time, surely this was easier on the consoles??

hirokazu

indie85 said:
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but am I the ONLY person who cant get passed that god damn boulder scene?
I cant press sprint button any faster and it gets me every time, surely this was easier on the consoles??

yeah the keyboard controls are crap. unless you're using a pad, then i have no idea.

the Wii version is best for that bit, none of that button mashing crap.

indie85

Banned
ok, this is for anyone having this problem, I've just solved it (more by luck than anything), you need to press enter and not sprint like it says. Phew, now I can continue!!!

Top Bottom