• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Jawmuncher

Anyone heard of the Italian online publication Insight Factor? No idea how reputed they are, but they've awarded the game a 5/10. Seems fair after playing the demo.

Some stuff there is reasonable.
however some of the review seems to be personal since he mentions a lot of RE is dead and it not being like the earlier titles. Which can be commented but shouldnt effect a official review.

Nemesis_

I'm not sure I would trust that review, it seems very loaded and/or personal.

It will be included in the OT, of course, in an effort to provide full transparency but I still think it's a bit ridiculous.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone heard of the Italian online publication Insight Factor? No idea how reputed they are, but they've awarded the game a 5/10. Seems fair after playing the demo.

Not that I want to discredit the reviewer, but whining about how Capcom betrayed "not only the historical tradition of the series, but also the legions of fans" with RE5 isn't a good way to start a review. It makes it obvious that no matter how good or bad the reviewed game is, since RE6 is an evolution in the direction RE4 started and RE5 continued, the reviewer is biased and will not like the game.

Nemesis_

I really hope that anyone who has attended college or at least has SOME skills in critical appraisal will use said skills when looking at reviews of RE6.

Riposte

Not that I want to discredit the reviewer, but whining about how Capcom betrayed "not only the historical tradition of the series, but also the legions of fans" with RE5 isn't a good way to start a review. It makes it obvious that no matter how good or bad the reviewed game is, since RE6 is an evolution in the direction RE4 started and RE5 continued, the reviewer is biased and will not like the game.

European press, outside of the UK, often comes off as unprofessional and forum-ish.

Was this an exclusive review like the other one?

I wish there was a full review I could read. Don't really care about scores.

gconsole

What i get from that review is

"RE is not RE anymore 5/10". Seriously the explaination about why it got 5 is worst than some moaning in here.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
RE diehards attacking the messenger... you guys are too much, it's frigging sad... because you can't handle The Truth shattering your lonely fantasy world where this game isn't a complete pile of embarrassingly insipid trash! What a bunch of losers, go outside and get a damn life.

FIRST!

European press, outside of the UK, often comes off as unprofessional and forum-ish.

Was this an exclusive review like the other one?

I wish there was a full review I could read. Don't really care about scores.

Every review i've seen from most sources, regardless of nation, comes of as a tale of someone who doesn't seem concerned about the price of the game itself. I know game prices are subject to change, but that's something that should be noted.

"But art and price should not relate". However we're being sold a copy as a product. So I would like to see how it fares in comparison to other stuff being offered at the same price, like a hardware review does, telling you a better solution or how the reviewed one is not the best. A more pragmatic vision of gaming where if you're looking for "that", you may like that other game that offers a better gameplay in the same genre. That's the kind of review I like.

Hmm I understand re logic but near skeletion zombies seems to be pushing it. And the dogs have become bullet sponges lol.

They are zombie dogs, not plagas, so they don't react unless they are dead. Makes sense to me.

Mr_Zombie

I'm going to say yeah. I mean it is hard to imagine a western RE6 review ending with stuff like "Resident Evil IS DEAD, LET IT LIVE ON IN OUR MEMORIES!"

EDIT: Destructiod might be an exception.

I dunno, sites like IGN or Gamestop have their own share of unprofessional stuff.
Or are we talking about real press, i.e. printed gaming magazines?

What i get from that review is

"RE is not RE anymore 5/10". Seriously the explaination about why it got 5 is worst than some moaning in here.

The review states:

- Too much ammo and health items
- No puzzles
- Doesn't improve on control problems or limitations of previous games
- Camera too close
- Zombies can fire guns
- Poor graphics and clipping issues, invisible walls

+ Good coop ai
+ multiple characters

They seem like valid concerns to me ... however it also smells quite a bit of "played the demo, pushed out a review about the whole game" because there are no specifics about anything that can be found.

meta4

The review states:

- No puzzles
- Camera too close
- Zombies can fire guns

+ Good coop ai
+ multiple characters

They seem like valid concerns to me ... however it also smells quite a bit of "played the demo, pushed out a review about the whole game" because there are no specifics about anything that can be found.

Felt the same.

Felt the same.

Same here. Anyone can fabricate a review like that. It's a "click" generator for an unknown website.

Also, he basically says that RE5 was a low blow to the series. And I loved it as a game. It made me come back several times and wanted to do everything on it. The combat felt exciting. Now, from the RE6 demo it felt a bit worse, because part of the charm of the Re5 combat system is how you could combine item managing with actions to be the ultimate plagas destroyer, specially on mercenaries.

gconsole

The review states:

- No puzzles
- Camera too close
- Zombies can fire guns

+ Good coop ai
+ multiple characters

Yeah feel the same. I don't mind the score. He can give it 1 it's fine. But I just want to know why. All of that doesn't indicate anything relate to full game ( or maybe it is but I just failed to catch that info ). He doesn't mention how the system in this game work. Doesn't mention story. Doesn't mention all the upgrade and stuff. And all other things that legit review should include.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't mean to put down the review just because of the score... But I don't think it's a legit review. A no-name site with very few followers, that publishes a review a week before the embargo date, has no details but spends the whole review whining how RE isn't RE anymore, and some of his claims are complete bullshit. I know from first-hand experience ammo is hardly in surplus, the game does in fact have puzzles (especially in Ada's demo I've played), and the rest of it sounds fishy too.

Mr_Zombie

The best thing about the review is this passive-aggressive snippet about how everyone who will give the game good score will be wrong:
But we all know that things will be different, most likely the game will receive good grades and in all likelihood, I will be overwhelmed by the negative comments of any kind to insult me ​​and my work.

Dusk Golem

I'm convinced now he played the demo and is passing off his impressions of it as an official review. Nothing to see here.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Why do zombies have guns though? Not that I give a flying fuck about that review, but I saw one with an assault rifle in a mercs video. lol

News Bot

Banned
Why do zombies have guns though? Not that I give a flying fuck about that review, but I saw one with an assault rifle in a mercs video. lol

Because they aren't the same kind of Zombies people are familiar with. They're a new kind with some retained ability to use weapons, to a very minor extent.

The t-Virus Zombies actually retained some of their memories too, so they're not far off.

Dusk Golem

An actual zombie from Leon's campaign?

There are (very rare) zombies who have guns, but they don't use it, at least accurately... What they sort of do is tumble with the gun and shoot randomly while stumbling around so it sprays in every which direction. Only zombies soilders that were infected, which is rare. There's also zombies with body armor, or construction hats, or zombies that scream and stun you, and others that have no skin but are very vicious, among others (such as zombie dogs and crows).

kunonabi

Funny, considering actual reviewers have already said that Ada's campaign is loaded with them.

Actual reviewers said Shattered Memories had great puzzles and that was a gigantic load of horse shit. Reviews are honestly pretty useless when it comes video games 90% of the time. I think this guy is pulling things out of his ass too but the modern perception of what constitutes a puzzle is fairly broad.

Dusk Golem

Also a couple of people are saying the game was just released in United Arab Emirates, including one guy on GameFAQs who's posting some screens.

32el1.jpg

News Bot

Banned
Actual reviewers said Shattered Memories had great puzzles and that was a gigantic load of horse shit. Reviews are honestly pretty useless when it comes video games 90% of the time. I think this guy is pulling things out of his ass too but the modern perception of what constitutes a puzzle is fairly broad.

Well when I heard it they specified that they weren't just like the puzzles in 4/5, but genuinely difficult. I do agree with you though, not long until we find out.

Isn't Ada's campaign paid DLC? Why would he include Ada's campaign in the review of the retail game?

Ada's campaign is unlocked after beating the other three. It's not DLC at all.

Also a couple of people are saying the game was just released in United Arab Emirates, including one guy on GameFAQs who's posting some screens.

http://im21.gulfup.com/32el1.jpg

Awwww shit.

Evolved1

I've been messing around with the zombies... they are really well done. They look awesome. They move awesome. Especially when crawling on the ground, it's deliciously creepy.

And the hit damage on them is just too good. Blowing literal holes in them? ahaha. I was shooting one walking toward me, and with three bullets had almost completely disintegrated her neck, I was wondering if her head would roll off, but then Leon popped her melon before I could see. lol.

Really though, this damage system on the zombies is one of the coolest I've seen, ever. Even though they are dumb and just fun fodder when alone or in a small group, they still pose a threat in a mob. You get caught in the middle of a pack and it's tricky to escape.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

32el1.jpg
Oh my God. Just hook it inside me.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Because they aren't the same kind of Zombies people are familiar with. They're a new kind with some retained ability to use weapons, to a very minor extent.

The t-Virus Zombies actually retained some of their memories too, so they're not far off.

New for this series in particular, maybe. It just seemed as random as seeing a certain episode of The Walking Dead, where something is done for the sake of convenience, and not touched again.

Now that you mention it, they really haven't handled the memory thing all to well, imo.

There are (very rare) zombies who have guns, but they don't use it, at least accurately... What they sort of do is tumble with the gun and shoot randomly while stumbling around so it sprays in every which direction. Only zombies soilders that were infected, which is rare. There's also zombies with body armor, or construction hats, or zombies that scream and stun you, and others that have no skin but are very vicious, among others (such as zombie dogs and crows).

Makes a bit more sense.

News Bot

Banned
I've been messing around with the zombies... they are really well done. They look awesome. They move awesome. Especially when crawling on the ground, it's deliciously creepy.

And the hit damage on them is just too good. Blowing literal holes in them? ahaha. I was shooting one walking toward me, and with three bullets had almost completely disintegrated her neck, I was wondering if her head would roll off, but then Leon popped her melon before I could see. lol.

Really though, this damage system on the zombies is one of the coolest I've seen, ever. Even though they are dumb and just fun fodder when alone or in a small group, they still pose a threat in a mob. You get caught in the middle of a pack and it's tricky to escape.

I hope the zombie damage was polished up a bit more after this build, pretty preposterous shooting a zombie in the face only for their chest to burst open. Maybe if something came out it'd be fucking awesome, but it was just pretty poor reaction.

Now that you mention it, they really haven't handled the memory thing all to well, imo.

I think the only real reference to it in the games themselves, outside of the official supplemental information, is in the very first game with the zombie opening the door to the kitchen. Don't think anything like that ever happens again, haha.

Evolved1

I hope the zombie damage was polished up a bit more after this build, pretty preposterous shooting a zombie in the face only for their chest to burst open. Maybe if something came out it'd be fucking awesome, but it was just pretty poor reaction.

lol i never saw this... haha.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man I don't care what people say, the zombies can be pretty crafty.

I was replaying the demo again, and in Leon's section after you've got the keycard and a bunch of zombies drop off the ceiling in front of the doorway, I threw a flame grenade hoping to burn them, one of them took a freaking running leap over the flame and pinned Leon down.

I was NOT expecting that.

Weren't there guns in RE4 and RE5? =/

Yeah why is everyone acting so surprised ? RE4 had crossbows and RE5 had straight up AK wielding enemies.

Top Bottom