• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Does anyone else who initially criticised the demo keep going back to it?

I am, in some sort of thin attempt to convince myself the game isn't as bad as I think it is. And in some ways its not. There are aspects of the demo that are just straight up bad and which I'm not sure I'll ever get on with, but the whole package.. I dunno. I really don't hate it as much after the third and fourth play throughs as I did after the first.

This pretty much sums up my feelings perfectly.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does anyone else who initially criticised the demo keep going back to it?

I am, in some sort of thin attempt to convince myself the game isn't as bad as I think it is. And in some ways its not. There are aspects of the demo that are just straight up bad and which I'm not sure I'll ever get on with, but the whole package.. I dunno. I really don't hate it as much after the third and fourth play throughs as I did after the first.

Someone said something similar to thism stating that if it wasn't Resident Evil, this game (demo) would be universally considered shit, but people want to convince themselves it's okay because they love the franchise.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Someone said something similar to thism stating that if it wasn't Resident Evil, this game (demo) would be universally considered shit, but people want to convince themselves it's okay because they love the franchise.

You actually believe that people would think this game is shit if it didn't have the Resident Evil name attached? Jeez some people really can't understand how someone could enjoy something they hated. I hate Call of Duty multiplayer but I don't think people are stupid or misguided if they enjoy it. Different strokes.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You actually believe that people would think this game is shit if it didn't have the Resident Evil name attached? Jeez some people really can't understand how someone could enjoy something they hated. I hate Call of Duty multiplayer but I don't think people are stupid or misguided if they enjoy it. Different strokes.

He's saying that all the people who thought it was shit the first time wouldn't have gone back and played it over and over to try and warm up to it if it wasn't for the RE name. I think that this is a largely uncontroversial claim. That's different from saying no one would like it if it wasn't RE.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
He said he tried to convince himself that he didn't hate it, when any other game would not be given the benefit of the doubt.

antitrop

whats the best place to pre-order?
Why would you bother pre-ordering? You can walk into any game retailer on October 2nd and buy it.

Unless there's some kind of bullshit exclusive pre-order content that I'm not aware of, I don't really follow that stuff.

Aameeyur674

Neo Member
In case people feel the amount of screenshot comparisons between the two demos around the internet still aren't enough, I took some screens from both demos on my own, particularly focusing on the darker areas. The display values were kept at default for both. Used an Elgato Game Capture HD.

c1_zps5f799e4a.jpg

c2_zpsf4d61147.jpg

c3_zpsdc5f6ad0.jpg

c4_zps188e650b.jpg

c5_zpsfb87e68c.jpg

c5_zpsfb87e68c.jpg

c6_zps77e3afb2.jpg

c7_zps7231b5bb.jpg

c8_zpsdaaf5c33.jpg

c9_zps08e8aa6d.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just scrolled down (what felt to be) 200 screenshots of the games... should I be scared or not? I'm media blackout'D...

dokish

Banned
Wow, the Leon part is bad. I avoided playing the demo to play the retail version, but the comments here got me really curious.

I have nothing else to say that hasn't already been said.

The car QTE, come on...

While I was playing, all I could think of was this:

resi2.jpg

resievil3gc_006-large.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not scared, those are screens from the demo and show nothing. Screens he took comparing the 360 and PS3 public demo.
,_, not gonna watch anyway. Hopefully they're identical.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Got a lizard with infinite melee / stun with Sherry (I was playing Sherry) and Jake. Dunno if I'll be able to replicate it, but it's hilarious. Shit is straight out Marvel silly. lol Here's what happened:

-Jake caught the lizard with his QTE kneeing it in the face
-I charged the stun rod and hit it before Jake's QTE was over. If not, then right before it was ending.
-Jake initiated the QTE again.
-Repeated the process over and over again, until I messed up.

The lizard looked like it was getting combo'd in the air when I was done. I don't know if it matters, but it was up against a wall/crate. Probably not practical in any sense, considering the one creature was by itself. heh.

I wish the slide was easier to use. :( I keep fucking it up.

Yoshichan

No. Hell I think it maybe the opposite, half the people wouldn't come in with some warped expectation that this franchise shouldn't be an action game.

Risette

A Good Citizen
In case people feel the amount of screenshot comparisons between the two demos around the internet still aren't enough, I took some screens from both demos on my own, particularly focusing on the darker areas. The display values were kept at default for both. Used an Elgato Game Capture HD.
Can you post a few PNG grabs for both?

Risette

A Good Citizen
One thing that's great about those shots is you can hardly notice aliasing.
The FXAA cleans up pretty well, but some things have pretty bad aliasing at certain angles. Could be a lack of AF.

Also the FXAA kinda eats up "sensitive" areas like those railings in the outdoors part of the Leon demo when you have some distance from them. Instead of being tiny bits of aliasing some of the bars just... disappear.

Ban Puncher

Two demo's later and I've cancelled my pre-order. Just not feeling it.

Will wait for the inevitable Gold Edition in 6 months with all the pre-order tat and DLC bullshit tossed in at a cheaper price.

Yeah, surely not worth splitting hairs over. If you dig the game, take your pick and enjoy.

Unless you care about performance as well in which case you'll want to get it on 360.

In any case I don't think I can deal with the camera. There's a game here that I know I'd like but the too close camera is killing me.

PowderedToast

Two demo's later and I've cancelled my pre-order. Just not feeling it.

Will wait for the inevitable Gold Edition in 6 months with all the pre-order tat and DLC bullshit tossed in at a cheaper price.

hmm, re5 was brown to gold

re6 would be, purple to turquoise edition. yes, definitely

Replicant

One thing that's great about those shots is you can hardly notice aliasing.

That's the few redeemable parts of the demo. Unlike recent jaggy abominations like TTT2, RE6 demo at least looks nicely anti-aliased. Also, the character design is always a favorite of mine. If it weren't for the characters, I wouldn't have bothered trying so hard to grapple with the new system/game mechanic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's the few redeemable parts of the demo. Unlike recent jaggy abominations like TTT2, RE6 demo at least looks nicely anti-aliased. Also, the character design is always a favorite of mine. If it weren't for the characters, I wouldn't have bothered trying so hard to grapple with the new system/game mechanic.

Yeah, speaking of character models I'm pleasantly surprised Capcom gave Helena a nice aesthetic look. No skin tight battle suit, tube top or quadruple D hanging boobs.

edit : looks like they've improved the anti aliasing since the DD demo as well, DF made specific note in their analysis that the anti aliasing was very poor and hardly worked.

Dartastic

I went ahead and played the demo a second time, because it seems like everyone on here is enjoying it far more the more you play it. I gotta say, everyone is sorta right. Once you understand how the characters move, it makes the game far more playable. It's still not GREAT, but it's at least passable now. The camera still needs to be pulled back more, and it needs to be less... shaky for Jake's section. Anyway. I'm still looking forward to Gameflying this.

Nemesis_

To the idiots who keep saying we like this because it has the Resident Evil name attached and no other reason.

Operation Raccoon City

c3_zpsdc5f6ad0.jpg
The Xbox version handles the dark scenes much better by default. People getting the PS3 version should crank up the brightness settings when playing as Leon.

Got a lizard with infinite melee / stun with Sherry (I was playing Sherry) and Jake. Dunno if I'll be able to replicate it, but it's hilarious. Shit is straight out Marvel silly. lol Here's what happened:

-Jake caught the lizard with his QTE kneeing it in the face
-I charged the stun rod and hit it before Jake's QTE was over. If not, then right before it was ending.
-Jake initiated the QTE again.
-Repeated the process over and over again, until I messed up.

The lizard looked like it was getting combo'd in the air when I was done. I don't know if it matters, but it was up against a wall/crate. Probably not practical in any sense, considering the one creature was by itself. heh.

I wish the slide was easier to use. :( I keep fucking it up.
The lizards can actually be stunlocked really easily by Jake using his hand-to-hand alone. The only hard part is getting close, once you do, use either his lock on attack or a quick shot to stun the lizard and get the QTE prompt, do the QTE, wait for it to get up (stomping on it while it's down is just a waste of stamina), and as it does, do another quick shot (or if you're not worried about being attacked by other enemies while it's down, lock onto it and just wait for it to get up to hit it), repeat the QTE and it's dead.

branny

Those caps look virtually the same to me, but that's probably because I don't think my computer screen resolves shadow detail all too well compared to my nicely calibrated TV. In any case, I think some of you darkness nazis are neglecting the possibility that enemies and areas may actually be obscured on purpose, as cheap and stupid as that is.

Also, Jake's hand-to-hand stuff is really fun, but it's nearly useless for trying to destroy his boss in the DD demo. The hand-to-hand boosting skills better enable players to tackle his whole campaign that way.

Just noticed the frozen J'avo can be used as cover. Pretty awesome. Enemy design is amazing, even by RE's high standards.

There are few things more satisfying than running up to an enemy, sliding onto your back and delivering a shotgun body blow at point-blank range sending them flying back 10 feet.

Next to Vanquish, this game probably has the best TPS mechanics around. I'm serious. Cannot wait till next week.

EekTheKat

An interesting to me yet obvious solution to a gameplay segment in the Leon segment of the demo that I was surprised worked
when you open a certain door, a zombie is scripted to leap out and grab you. Apparently if you duck immediately after opening the door the zombie flies over you and faceplants on the ground behind you

Top Bottom