• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sorry to hear it but for most people it has nothing to do with their TV settings. It is the ps3 settings that need to be changed to RGB Limited and it will fix the problem for most people.

No, it won't completely fix the problem because it's a problem with the game. Whether their PS3 is set up correctly or not, people are singling out this game to complain about. That suggests it's something about the game that is not normal. Again, my settings are all correct and I'm still having a problem with this game and not any other game.

If you're trying to say that setting it to limited instead of full will somewhat improve the problem, I agree, but it will not "fix it" because the brightness setting in the game is fucked. The calibration screen doesn't even work - the "6" is ALWAYS a very different shade than the background. That's not how those things normally work.

Haliela

Well... wow. After playing the rest of the demo I immediately cancelled my preorder. Leon's section was fun, but the other two were COMPLETE rubbish.

Why the hell would I play that over Gears of War 3? There is absolutely no reason to.

ErikB

Banned
Those complaints were aimed at Zombies I believe. You know, the creatures that don't feel pain. Even then, the "reaction" is all in the bullet pulverizing their body.

Even the zombies react pretty nicely. I guess it might be less that before, but no matter where you hit em you get a flinch and a big spout of blood.

ErikB

Banned
Why the hell would I play that over Gears of War 3?

I like-

The slide in to cover move (and the slide under things move). I like the blurring effect when you are in cover. The melee system is vastly more in depth than in GoW. The quickshot with the shotgun is totally awesome in Chris' bit - you can run in to a crowd of badguys and pop them one by one with one shotgun shell each. I like the shooting mechanics. Short, controlled bursts! And with the dot you know exactly where the next shot is going to go.

You just have so many more options!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Fair warning, drunk posting... this game man, this game. Can not wait. I just can not.

Three campaigns of this... plus ADA! I am too stoked. It is so cool. GET HYPE!

Bumhead

Banned
Does anyone else who initially criticised the demo keep going back to it?

I am, in some sort of thin attempt to convince myself the game isn't as bad as I think it is. And in some ways its not. There are aspects of the demo that are just straight up bad and which I'm not sure I'll ever get on with, but the whole package.. I dunno. I really don't hate it as much after the third and fourth play throughs as I did after the first.

Onemic

With so many people complaining about the game, I think I'll just wait for reviews before I make a decision to buy this.

Riposte

I am, in some sort of thin attempt to convince myself the game isn't as bad as I think it is. And in some ways its not. There are aspects of the demo that are just straight up bad and which I'm not sure I'll ever get on with, but the whole package.. I dunno. I really don't hate it as much after the third and fourth play throughs as I did after the first.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US

lol, I don't know if the game will be good, but it isn't the broken game some people think it is.

I'm planning to probably just pick up a copy of the game anyway. Despite my hatred of the Resident Evil 5 demo, I absolutely loved the hell out of playing the game in coop.

I plan to just treat this game the same way, but I haven't even played the demo yet.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There is no "right" way to play Chris campaign, especially since the demo is easy. The stage is designed for you to make the most of cover, so, playing it like Gears is probably the "correct" thing to do. You can do whatever you want though. Mercs mode is a different animal than campaign. Always has been.

TentPole

No, it won't completely fix the problem because it's a problem with the game. Whether their PS3 is set up correctly or not, people are singling out this game to complain about. That suggests it's something about the game that is not normal. Again, my settings are all correct and I'm still having a problem with this game and not any other game.

If you're trying to say that setting it to limited instead of full will somewhat improve the problem, I agree, but it will not "fix it" because the brightness setting in the game is fucked. The calibration screen doesn't even work - the "6" is ALWAYS a very different shade than the background. That's not how those things normally work.

I am not trying to absolve the game or game makers for this problem. The problem is most definitely with the game. They should have calibrated the game in such a way that it is playable with either setting. I am just trying to let people know that there is a way to dramatically improve the visibility that they might not know about.

Davey Cakes

It sucks that this is only available to Gold members on X360. I'm probably going to buy the game anyway; I just want to try out the demo first. If only MS was running one of those "one month for $1" deals, I'd probably go for it just out of curiosity.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyone know when the embargo lifts?

October 1st. I'm really expecting to see reviews go all over the place, in earnest.

I think I have shared this before, but I honestly think this game is going to be one of the most polarizing games that have come out this generation, and definitely within the Resident Evil series, even more so than Resident Evil 5 but for completely different reasons. There's a few reasons for this...

The controls are controversial.
This is one of the single biggest things that a person will first notice about RE6. The controls are different, very different from about any game out there. It's really hard to explain, the game LOOKS like it plays like Resident Evil 4/5, but it really doesn't. Trying to play it like RE4/RE5 actually doesn't usually have good results. The best way to describe it is that this game controls like a fighting game third-person shooter... Which sounds completely strange, but it is the best way to describe it. The characters actually have a lot of depth, but all that depth is hidden away in button combos and one part of the game, like a fighting game, is mastering the controls. This is going to be one of the single most biggest turn-offs for the game for most people initially I predict, and leads me directly into my next reason...

This game has one heck of a learning curve.
Not just in the controls, in everything. How enemies respond to things, how your character shoots, how you navigate the environment... Everything has familiarity to other Resident Evil games, but also feels completely different. Initially when I first started playing the game, I didn't like it. I was taking so much in at once and while I was trying to play it one way, it's like the game wasn't cooperating with me. I would get hit with bullets from random directions, I was really clumsy in fighting things, everything just seemed so chaotic and I couldn't get immersed in it at all. But as weird as it sounds, as I played more I began to start to play better, I started to understand and actually appreciate how the game was designed, which leads me to my next point...

There's a moment where everything just clicks.
I can't describe it easily, but there's a moment when playing when everything just clicks. If you play the demo long enough it may happen for you (and seems to have happened for a few people here), but I think it's far more evident if you play more of the game at once rather than a select area over and over again. The game actually has a lot of variety, but your enjoyment of it almost comes directly from having the game just click with you. They have a prelude tutorial chapter to help you with this, but things that seemed really annoying initially, or things that seemed badly designed start making a lot more sense and more fun after it all just clicks with you. It is an extremely difficult thing to explain, but this isn't the only game to have this moment. It essentially has a learning curve, and over the learning curve you start to enjoy yourself a lot more, as...

The game is really addicting and has a lot of content to offer
This won't be evident in the demo I know, but this game really is rather addicting. The game throws really varied and interesting gameplay moments at you, and has a good stride and pacing in my experience between moments where you're essentially locked in battle fields, exploration and puzzles, slower more story-driven or ambient moments, and the likes. You'll be chased by invincible monsters in stealth segments, slowly walk around a church as you talk to people and solve puzzles, fight among a great army of enemies trying to stay alive and utilize your characters abilities to the fullest, and lot's of other things through the course of the game. You unlock skills, there's a lot of different modes, each campaign has quite a different feel to it, and there's lots of hidden secrets in each level. It's incredibly addicting in my experience, and I can only imagine it being more so in a full copy of the game.

...But what is it trying to be, exactly?
Maybe at the price of variety there comes the question of identity. What is this game trying to be, exactly? My answer is that I think it's trying to be everything, which seems like it's what the developers intended. The games has elements of an action game, a survival-horror game, an adventure game, it seems to have drawn direction inspiration from every single Resident Evil title in different areas of the game, it has RPG elements, it has party game elements, it tries to make a stronger single player presence but also a stronger multiplayer presence, but it tries to confine itself well enough within some boundaries so all of it at least feels familiar enough to each other. Mastering the games foundation is essentially the key to playing the game, but past the foundation it seems the game is trying to appease everyone, which we will have to see attracts more people or repels more people.

The enemies are amazing.
I don't know how evident this was in the demo for you, but the enemies in this game are amazing. They all have really good AI, and respond differently to a lot of different situations. From boss fights to just normal enemy encounters, they can go in completely different directions depending on how you play the game like. They can work in groups and you can sometimes see them visually cuing to other enemies to hold back, go in, etc. The zombies can collect in groups and really circle you into a bad situation, some will try to sneak up on you while others will suicidally charge in at you when you have to reload or take cover. They can be difficult, but by mastering everything at your disposal are also manageable. They have great variety too, with each enemy having different strengths and weaknesses. They also have pretty good reaction to how you shoot them. Playing more extensively, I think the part of the game that has impressed me the most is the enemies. They're very interesting, varied like everything else, and actually quite intelligent.

Graphics are both better and worse.
This is a strange thing, but the graphics are both better and worse than RE5. First of all, the lighting and shadows are much better, and the game has an excellent attention of details in the environment... But it also looks a bit worse, yet better. Some things have very shoddy texture-work, or some things look a bit low-poly, but then other things are really impressive and breath-taking to see. It's really hard to explain, but I think many know what I mean by this, but this game looks both better and worse than RE5.

There's some other things I can talk about, but I think all of the above is true. I think this game is really different, and has a learning curve. I don't think everyone will like it, but I think others will absolutely love it. This will be, I am sure, one of the most polarizing game experiences this year, I expect this game to end up some of peoples favorite RE game, and other peoples least favorite, with everything in-between.

This is going to be an interesting ride.

Christopher

That video looked re4/5ish which I like! I'm gonna let you guys be the experiment for how this is before I buy it. Also, I played re 4 this weekend how come Ada looks like ass in this version and so good in RE4...

I feel the same way. The demo was terrible... But somehow I am still interested, probably because I can see how much was put into it. There has to be enough good bits tucked away in this right?

I liken it to RE4. It is at the top of many a gamers best game list. But if you play it again now I contend that it is clunky as hell and most of it is pretty crap. Luckily quite a few awesome and memorable scenes save the day.

RE6 might do the same via some great designs or just getting lucky through quantity... Or it could be a really shit game.

Astral

The embargo lifts October 1st? Dammit I was hoping we'd see some reviews starting this week. I wanna know whether I should preorder this or not. I want that Amazon $10 credit.

Haliela

The embargo lifts October 1st? Dammit I was hoping we'd see some reviews starting this week. I wanna know whether I should preorder this or not. I want that Amazon $10 credit.

I am in the same boat. I cancelled mine for now, but I'll throw that order back on there if I see reason to. I seriously have review embargoes.

ErikB

Banned
i've come to the conclusion that this game fucking rules and anybody who doesn't agree DOESN'T UNDERSTAND OR KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!

I love this game. Or at least I love the demos. I have a nasty feeling I have now sunk more time in to the demos than I have any single game this year.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I liken it to RE4. It is at the top of many a gamers best game list. But if you play it again now I contend that it is clunky as hell and most of it is pretty crap. Luckily quite a few awesome and memorable scenes save the day.
Uh, no it isn't.

You don't have to attempt revisionism to try to make RE6 look better, really.

Christopher

I'm thinking about getting the ps three Resident Evil 1 to 6 games with psn you never have to buy these games ever again you can always download them

Dusk Golem

What I'll suggest for this game is to seriously read multiple reviews, not just look at the scores, and see if it sounds good or not to you. I don't know what most sites are planning to rate it, but whenever high or low, I honestly am predicting some things some reviewers love, others are going to hate, and opinions on the game will be all over the place.

As I said, this is going to be an interesting ride. However, for anyone who's curious we do have two official reviews right now, but maybe not always best to trust early review.

OPM Italy gives it a 9/10.

Playstation: The Official Magazine gives the game a 9/10. "There's more content and variety here than in any other entry in the series, and its stories - while a little too goofy to really take seriously - are nonetheless fascinating, particularly for those of us who've watched these characters grow and develop over the years...RE6 is a strange experience, to be sure - but more importantly, it's an unforgettable one."

However, I never have been the most trusting of reviews from 'official' magazines, don't know their review history but it just has always struck me the magazines with 'official' in the title are more likely paid off for reviews. I'm saying this as someone who actually likes the game quite a bit.

ErikB

Banned
I can't see any way that the instant bolt cycle thing you get by changing shoulders on the sniper rifle can be anything other than a bug.

It is, however, very, very cool, and they should keep it in - like an active reload from Gears.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I feel the same way. The demo was terrible... But somehow I am still interested, probably because I can see how much was put into it. There has to be enough good bits tucked away in this right?

RE6 might do the same via some great designs or just getting lucky through quantity... Or it could be a really shit game.

Y2Kev please ban toddhunter thanks.

Have you played through it recently? There is no revisionism, it is what it is.

Just finished it a couple nights ago. It was amazing in 2005 and it's amazing now. If you have actually played through it and still can't handle the way it controls you are a scrub of the highest caliber.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What I'll suggest for this game is to seriously read multiple reviews, not just look at the scores, and see if it sounds good or not to you. I don't know what most sites are planning to rate it, but whenever high or low, I honestly am predicting some things some reviewers love, others are going to hate, and opinions on the game will be all over the place.

As I said, this is going to be an interesting ride. However, for anyone who's curious we do have two official reviews right now, but maybe not always best to trust early review.

OPM Italy gives it a 9/10.

Playstation: The Official Magazine gives the game a 9/10. "There's more content and variety here than in any other entry in the series, and its stories - while a little too goofy to really take seriously - are nonetheless fascinating, particularly for those of us who've watched these characters grow and develop over the years...RE6 is a strange experience, to be sure - but more importantly, it's an unforgettable one."

However, I never have been the most trusting of reviews from 'official' magazines, don't know their review history but it just has always struck me the magazines with 'official' in the title are more likely paid off for reviews. I'm saying this as someone who actually likes the game quite a bit.

The other review they mentioned gave it a 5/10. Impressions seem to mirror GAF so far. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Y2Kev please ban toddhunter thanks.

Just finished it a couple nights ago. It was amazing in 2005 and it's amazing now. If you have actually played through it and still can't handle the way it controls you are a scrub of the highest caliber.

hi ok should we do 10 years or 20 years

Risette

A Good Citizen
Have you played through it recently? There is no revisionism, it is what it is.
Yes. More than once in the past year since the release of the HD versions.

It's still the same impeccably designed game it was in 2005. Not sure what happened on your end.

Dusk Golem

The other review they mentioned gave it a 5/10. Impressions seem to mirror GAF so far. :D

That review was proven fake. The only real reviews we're going to get for now will be from magazines. Any sites that post a review without special permissions like IGN maybe before October 1st will be fake, I guarantee you. Doing that would be a break of contract and could get them into serious legal trouble.

Yes. More than once in the past year since the release of the HD versions.

It's still the same impeccably designed game it was in 2005. Not sure what happened on your end.

So no room for improvement in camera and controls or the gameplay issues that come from them? My opinion is people look past all that for RE4 because of the great moments. RE5 was not so lucky despite having most of the same elements and if I want to be really controversial I'll say 5 would be the "great" game if it came first.

.... yeah.

I still think RE6 has a chance to go either way.

Neiteio

October 1st. I'm really expecting to see reviews go all over the place, in earnest.

I think I have shared this before, but I honestly think this game is going to be one of the most polarizing games that have come out this generation, and definitely within the Resident Evil series, even more so than Resident Evil 5 but for completely different reasons. There's a few reasons for this...

The controls are controversial.
This is one of the single biggest things that a person will first notice about RE6. The controls are different, very different from about any game out there. It's really hard to explain, the game LOOKS like it plays like Resident Evil 4/5, but it really doesn't. Trying to play it like RE4/RE5 actually doesn't usually have good results. The best way to describe it is that this game controls like a fighting game third-person shooter... Which sounds completely strange, but it is the best way to describe it. The characters actually have a lot of depth, but all that depth is hidden away in button combos and one part of the game, like a fighting game, is mastering the controls. This is going to be one of the single most biggest turn-offs for the game for most people initially I predict, and leads me directly into my next reason...

This game has one heck of a learning curve.
Not just in the controls, in everything. How enemies respond to things, how your character shoots, how you navigate the environment... Everything has familiarity to other Resident Evil games, but also feels completely different. Initially when I first started playing the game, I didn't like it. I was taking so much in at once and while I was trying to play it one way, it's like the game wasn't cooperating with me. I would get hit with bullets from random directions, I was really clumsy in fighting things, everything just seemed so chaotic and I couldn't get immersed in it at all. But as weird as it sounds, as I played more I began to start to play better, I started to understand and actually appreciate how the game was designed, which leads me to my next point...

There's a moment where everything just clicks.
I can't describe it easily, but there's a moment when playing when everything just clicks. If you play the demo long enough it may happen for you (and seems to have happened for a few people here), but I think it's far more evident if you play more of the game at once rather than a select area over and over again. The game actually has a lot of variety, but your enjoyment of it almost comes directly from having the game just click with you. They have a prelude tutorial chapter to help you with this, but things that seemed really annoying initially, or things that seemed badly designed start making a lot more sense and more fun after it all just clicks with you. It is an extremely difficult thing to explain, but this isn't the only game to have this moment. It essentially has a learning curve, and over the learning curve you start to enjoy yourself a lot more, as...

The game is really addicting and has a lot of content to offer
This won't be evident in the demo I know, but this game really is rather addicting. The game throws really varied and interesting gameplay moments at you, and has a good stride and pacing in my experience between moments where you're essentially locked in battle fields, exploration and puzzles, slower more story-driven or ambient moments, and the likes. You'll be chased by invincible monsters in stealth segments, slowly walk around a church as you talk to people and solve puzzles, fight among a great army of enemies trying to stay alive and utilize your characters abilities to the fullest, and lot's of other things through the course of the game. You unlock skills, there's a lot of different modes, each campaign has quite a different feel to it, and there's lots of hidden secrets in each level. It's incredibly addicting in my experience, and I can only imagine it being more so in a full copy of the game.

...But what is it trying to be, exactly?
Maybe at the price of variety there comes the question of identity. What is this game trying to be, exactly? My answer is that I think it's trying to be everything, which seems like it's what the developers intended. The games has elements of an action game, a survival-horror game, an adventure game, it seems to have drawn direction inspiration from every single Resident Evil title in different areas of the game, it has RPG elements, it has party game elements, it tries to make a stronger single player presence but also a stronger multiplayer presence, but it tries to confine itself well enough within some boundaries so all of it at least feels familiar enough to each other. Mastering the games foundation is essentially the key to playing the game, but past the foundation it seems the game is trying to appease everyone, which we will have to see attracts more people or repels more people.

The enemies are amazing.
I don't know how evident this was in the demo for you, but the enemies in this game are amazing. They all have really good AI, and respond differently to a lot of different situations. From boss fights to just normal enemy encounters, they can go in completely different directions depending on how you play the game like. They can work in groups and you can sometimes see them visually cuing to other enemies to hold back, go in, etc. The zombies can collect in groups and really circle you into a bad situation, some will try to sneak up on you while others will suicidally charge in at you when you have to reload or take cover. They can be difficult, but by mastering everything at your disposal are also manageable. They have great variety too, with each enemy having different strengths and weaknesses. They also have pretty good reaction to how you shoot them. Playing more extensively, I think the part of the game that has impressed me the most is the enemies. They're very interesting, varied like everything else, and actually quite intelligent.

Graphics are both better and worse.
This is a strange thing, but the graphics are both better and worse than RE5. First of all, the lighting and shadows are much better, and the game has an excellent attention of details in the environment... But it also looks a bit worse, yet better. Some things have very shoddy texture-work, or some things look a bit low-poly, but then other things are really impressive and breath-taking to see. It's really hard to explain, but I think many know what I mean by this, but this game looks both better and worse than RE5.

There's some other things I can talk about, but I think all of the above is true. I think this game is really different, and has a learning curve. I don't think everyone will like it, but I think others will absolutely love it. This will be, I am sure, one of the most polarizing game experiences this year, I expect this game to end up some of peoples favorite RE game, and other peoples least favorite, with everything in-between.

This is going to be an interesting ride.
Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Between this and the Mercs video that clearly shows some awesome gameplay, I'll have to revisit the demo at some point, and give it some more time to see if it clicks. I just wish they'd zoom back the camera, decrease the walk-to-run sensitivity and do away with the objective marker when we already have L2 to show us the way.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So no room for improvement in camera and controls? My opinion is people look past all that for RE4 because of the great moments. RE5 was not so lucky despite having most of the same elements and if I want to be really controversial I'll say 5 would be the "great" game if it came first.
No. Camera is so perfect the industry has been copying it for nearly a decade and the controls are worked into the game perfectly.

As for the second part, every moment is a great moment in RE4, so maybe.

Dusk Golem

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Between this and the Mercs video that clearly shows some awesome gameplay, I'll have to revisit the demo at some point, and give it some more time to see if it clicks. I just wish they'd zoom back the camera, decrease the walk-to-run sensitivity and do away with the objective marker when we already have L2 to show us the way.

As an FYI, I haven't played the public demo yet (well, I have but not at home, I played it at PAX though), but in most of the demos I've played you turn off the objective marker. You can do this in the DD demo by turning off display hud or something like that, but hoping the full game has an option just to turn the marker off.

haikira

Has this preview for Mercs been posted yet? Someone giving a quick rundown of mercs from a preview build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxasrkamZ74&feature=related

You know, i could probably write a very sizable list of problems i have with RE6. But i'm actually still quite excited. Mercs was always a blast and i can't wait to play splitscreen with friends. There's appears to be a lot of hidden depth to game too with counters, dodges and so on, which is neat. I'm also looking forward to Leon's campaign and the cheesy storyline. The cheesy comment honestly isn't a knock against it.

As i said, I do have a long list of complaints too and i'm definitely a much bigger fan of old school RE. I'm going into the game seriously under hyping Chris's campaign too. Maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised though and enjoy that portion more than i expect.

But there's enough negativity around this thread as it stands so i'll just say, despite my worries i'm definitely still hyped and ready for day one.

masterkajo

Yes. The controls kind of grow on me and I seem to actually get better and have some fun kiilling stuff. But there are still things that I don't like, mostly the too close camera.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So no room for improvement in camera and controls or the gameplay issues that come from them?

I'll disagree with pizzaroll a little bit, and say there is room for improvement but the issue is that RE6 misses the mark, especially regarding the camera. Look at The Last of Us if you want to see a locked over-the-shoulder perspective evolved and done right. Look at Uncharted if you want to see a free 3rd person camera done right, in both corridors and open spaces. I'm sure there are plenty of non-Naughty Dog games that would serve as good examples of how to do it better than RE6 (e.g., Gears and Vanquish).

Top Bottom