• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

So assuming the demo was completed mid-late May to be ready for E3, is it even feasible for them to clean up the technical issues by the time the game goes gold? That'll probably be early or mid September, right?

Metroid_

Neo Member
I think that the demo's pretty enjoyable. Sure it has some noticable flaws that Capcpom has to fix but overall, I like it. The part I enjoyed the most in the demo is the Ustanak battle. I've played that part like 7 times and I want to play more tomorrow.
What I like more when I played the demo is how you can throw yourself in whichever of those four directions you want, lie on the ground, and quick-shoot on those enemies. Also the melee attacks are pretty awesome.
It's also pretty cool that you can run and slide through those square-shaped holes that goes through the walls in the Ustanak battle room, which I like to do before he destroys it.
I hope that there'll be improvements before the game is released.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm liking this more and more as I play it. I did Leon's again and the actual combat segment at the end is a lot more fun to me, bits and chunks of the zombies come off as you shoot them, and the headshot is actually really satisfying. They slowly move around for a bit but they're basically dead, so you need to watch what you're doing.

Chris' is still weird, but the camera messes with him the most. I'll probably record a Jake melee only run to show some of the stuff he can do. I don't have a direct capture kit though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So assuming the demo was completed mid-late May to be ready for E3, is it even feasible for them to clean up the technical issues by the time the game goes gold? That'll probably be early or mid September, right?

How bad was Dragon's Dogma with the tearing? That was sub HD too, so I'd assume RE6 will perform even worse.

Kinyou

So, apparently Capcom left in a ton of weapons in the demo, probably all of them! I posted a quick video with one of those weapons (and the hydra quick shot animation because it is super mega ultra awesome): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbtDitAoZ5s

I'm very very happy about there being a classic bolt action rifle in the game. I am considering to record every weapon, but that would take a while.
Sexy Sherry.

Do the other characters also do a split when they fire the weapon?

Grisby

So, apparently Capcom left in a ton of weapons in the demo, probably all of them! I posted a quick video with one of those weapons (and the hydra quick shot animation because it is super mega ultra awesome): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbtDitAoZ5s

I'm very very happy about there being a classic bolt action rifle in the game. I am considering to record every weapon, but that would take a while.
How do you do those sweet ass shoot moves?

C-Jo

I haven't had a chance to try the demo out yet, but I just wanted to chime in and confirm that the E3 demo in Microsoft's booth had just about the worst screen tearing I've ever seen.

I didn't brave the lines to get into Capcom's booth, but the footage they were running on the screens outside was from what I can only assume was the PC version. The IQ/texture resolution/lack of tearing in that video was night & day from what I actually played.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So going through the demo files again. I think I'm in an enemy programming section, since now instead of scenes it sounds like I'm reading enemy attacks, sometimes names are mentioned and other times it's not.

Tis enemy was mentioned earlier as well under enemies, but I'm not sure what it is. Essentially it sounds like an enemy with a weak Abdomen and a lot of armor. Has a trample attack. In the E3 trailer there was a quick scene of an enemy that charges at Chris on all fours... Could it be that thing? It sounds more likely as apparently there's a way you can momentarily ride its back, and somehow you can flip it over and damage its heart? Enemy has a special command for the crane I mentioned earlier.

This next enemy actually has its name listed. This is the 'Face Hugger' I mentioned earlier. Has a lot of weird commands. Mentions something about suicide (the monster or the monster face hugging the player?), and regenerating somehow. It does what it sounds like it does, since it has flags for 'Docking' and 'Releasing' (likely on the player).

I don't know what this monster is, but it has some warp commands (not sure if the enemy can literally warp around or if that means spawn the enemy somewhere) and the only other thing that really stands up in the info is that it apparently appears in the 'Duct' scenes I mentioned earlier. Guess this enemy is named Raskla, which was mentioned earlier as well. All I know about it is that it has Warp commands and appears in the Ducts scene. And apparently it can grab you.

Oh! The next one is the Hanging Zombie Man! This is a guess, but I guess somewhere in the game there is an acre of trees with people hanged by the neck with rope. I guess this since the zombie apparently has a 'fake out dummy' mode and comes alive when getting near. The interesting thing is that it can apparently be shot down and has some sort of 'super mode?' Might apply to when it comes back alive though?

I don't know what this enemy is but it apparently keeps regenerating it's limbs as they all have health and mentions growing and 'last leg/arm/head/etc'. The two notable things is that besides all of the normal cody parts it also appears to have a feeler (like what insects have?), and it has some commands about trucks for some reason.

This next enemy I'm guessing are those J'Avos with the spider legs. You see them in the trailer, but they have commands to walk across the ceiling and walls, like we see them do in the trailer. Apparently they can pop out of locations, there's a scene with them in a classroom, and a lot of their favorite attacks involve leaping at people or grabbing them and pulling them away from their partner so they can eat them. They seem to be able to guard against some attacks and also have a 'creep' mode where they'll attack up by hanging down from the ceiling when you don't see them. The game seems to have a lot of commands to change it's behavior some depending if it's on the floor, wall, or ceiling.

I don't exactly know what this enemy is (I have a guess it's the fat zombie we see pick Leon up in the trailer), but it seems to have moves that can pick up players, and seems to have a scene involving the bus and can come at you in water. That seems to be what it mostly does, grab things and some underwater commands.

This has to be that big enemy with all the tumors we saw briefly in the story trailer. Most of its attacks involve gas and it seems to be able to do some high-attacks as well.

Several with not enough info to discern what they are... Oh, here we go! This appears to be the enemy I earlier labelled as 'Fly', I am betting this is the Flying J'Avo. It seems later in the game (since they don't do this in the demo) they can fly over to and pick up a few things and throw it at you, including bombs.

Found a long file for J'Avo general programming. Mentioning them turning into Flies (so was right) as well as several other enemies, as well as several different kind of behaviors they can have. Everything from spider parts to shields to sniper rifles to a one-handed gun, to knives, to parachuting (?), to bomb throwing, etc.

A little over 3/4ths done. Just a few very minor spoilers about menus.

This game seems to have a menus for Records, Collection, Cutscenes, Mercenaries mode, Slayers mode, Last Stand mode, Agent Predator/Ustanak mode, and Siege mode,

EDIT: Also, if anyone cares about language stuff, this game seems to have a dub in English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and Italian.

DOUBLE EDIT: The game also has a shop (well dur) and something called No Hope. Not sure what that is to be honest.

fernoca

Really enjoyed the demo.
-Leon: Liked the slower pace of it, though the final game may be a lot more action oriented was still nice.
-Chris: More action and time to try out moves, dodge, cover
-Jake: Short, but tons of explosions.. :p

Out of context and with no story, is weird; but definetly there day one to play the hell out of this...like previous RE games. :p
Controls easier than expected and had no problems with the camera.

Look at dragons dogma debut videos, notice all the tearing? Still there in the retail version. Don't get your hope up, guys, I seriously doubt it will get fixed.

Fuck. As fun as diving to the ground and Tornado DDTing enemies is, I'm not buying this game if it runs this badly. And I thought Uncharted 1 had bad screen tearing. The tearing in this makes UC1 look V-Sync'd.

Dusk Golem

I'm almost done with all the demo files I can do. I wish I had the technical prowess to kno how to mod the game or access the music or video files, for example. Whatever the case, pulled a lot more from this than I expected.

The only other notable things I've seen is that apparently No Hope is something you can turn on or off for the game. Guess it's like an extra difficulty mode, since it doesn't seem to actually be a selectable difficulty and just an... Option in the game campaign menu.

And campaign spoilers.
Obvious, but there's stuff for Ada's scenario having co-op, in case anyone wasn't sure if she'd have co-op or not.

Apparently in the Records there is a section for 'Common', for 'Weapons, and for 'Enemies'.

And at the end, there of course now is interesting stuff about some of the bosses in the game. Boss spoilers.
I wouldn't of known this was boss stuff if I read it earlier. First we have data for Ada in her helicopter boss battle. There's data for the boss on the train, which seems to include four train cars and have bridges between and cargo.

And random spoilers. None of it is really spoiler-full, but includes a spice of spoilers from all over so only look if you've sworn yourself to spoilers:

Well we have random assets, from a laser door to Carla to the earlier mentioned Crowbar. Treasure Boxes and soukonai... Actually, a lot of random Japanese words. Anyone know what these mean? yambo_asiba_mae, yambo_hahen, yambo_mae, yakata_tourou, naibu, uturikomi, gareki, haisyaisu , kaibouzu , tenkyu, tikei. Lots of other random things, to helicopter stuff, to a co-op crank, levers, etc.

And then we have interesting files like seg000:00004BE0 0000000C C LastDeborah. Deborah is Helena's sister. Reflective lasers apparently, co-op pushing a statue.... co-op jumping in the water with Leon and Helena. Co-op will make some people very unpleased. XD

That's all that really is up on my end. I'll see if I can do anything else later, but that's all I can pull from the file names and programming bits and such at this very moment. Still a lot more than anticipated though.

Does RE6 have splitscreen co-op?

Yup, split-screen co-op was confirmed a while ago by the Xbox.com leak.

eshwaaz

Just tried the demo - the Leon and Chris sections - and definitely did not care for it. I absolutely cannot stand I that I can't even open a simple door without the help of my A.I. partner. There are certainly bigger problems here than just the forced co-op, but I hate being reminded that this is a co-op game first, single player game second.

Also, as mentioned by many - the camera is Chris' section is so ridiculously close it's almost comical.

Jawmuncher

I'm almost done with all the demo files I can do. I wish I had the technical prowess to kno how to mod the game or access the music or video files, for example. Whatever the case, pulled a lot more from this than I expected.

The only other notable things I've seen is that apparently No Hope is something you can turn on or off for the game. Guess it's like an extra difficulty mode, since it doesn't seem to actually be a selectable difficulty and just an... Option in the game campaign menu.

And campaign spoilers.
Obvious, but there's stuff for Ada's scenario having co-op, in case anyone wasn't sure if she'd have co-op or not.

Apparently in the Records there is a section for 'Common', for 'Weapons, and for 'Enemies'.

And at the end, there of course now is interesting stuff about some of the bosses in the game. Boss spoilers.
I wouldn't of known this was boss stuff if I read it earlier. First we have data for Ada in her helicopter boss battle. There's data for the boss on the train, which seems to include four train cars and have bridges between and cargo.

And random spoilers. None of it is really spoiler-full, but includes a spice of spoilers from all over so only look if you've sworn yourself to spoilers:

Well we have random assets, from a laser door to Carla to the earlier mentioned Crowbar. Treasure Boxes and soukonai... Actually, a lot of random Japanese words. Anyone know what these mean? yambo_asiba_mae, yambo_hahen, yambo_mae, yakata_tourou, naibu, uturikomi, gareki, haisyaisu , kaibouzu , tenkyu, tikei. Lots of other random things, to helicopter stuff, to a co-op crank, levers, etc.

And then we have interesting files like seg000:00004BE0 0000000C C LastDeborah. Deborah is Helena's sister. Reflective lasers apparently, co-op pushing a statue.... co-op jumping in the water with Leon and Helena. Co-op will make some people very unpleased. XD

That's all that really is up on my end. I'll see if I can do anything else later, but that's all I can pull from the file names and programming bits and such at this very moment. Still a lot more than anticipated though.

Yup, split-screen co-op was confirmed a while ago by the Xbox.com leak.
Ada's campaign having coop is the biggest surprise yet from these file. Since it was sounding like it was going to be a bonus for beating the game and would be SP. Especially considering who could she have as a partner? IF anything I guess maybe there's parts where the link up coop they were talking about where ada is included.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGTSGgGRg4Q

Here's my melee run with Jake. The 1:45 to 1:58 segment is my favorite. Beyond that, well...
I fail. :(

Still trying to figure some stuff out, diving seems useless without a gun but I kept doing it by accident. And sorry for the sound, there's a bad storm and it lightly picked up.

Carbonox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGTSGgGRg4Q

Here's my melee run with Jake. The 1:45 to 1:58 segment is my favorite. Beyond that, well...
I fail. :(

Still trying to figure some stuff out, diving seems useless without a gun but I kept doing it by accident. And sorry for the sound, there's a bad storm and it lightly picked up.

Awesome, thanks!

Love it when Jake throws the enemy by the legs in to Sherry and she stumbles.

Edit: Damn you were right about 1:45. Dat combo.

Dusk Golem

Alright, so I am a newb at this but I did a lot of research and trial and error and I finally had some success with ripping the audio from the demo. Pretty sure I can't post that here, but it includes several music files that don't play anywhere in the demo. Tell you if I find anything interesting as I continue poking and prodding.

Carbonox

Alright, so I am a newb at this but I did a lot of research and trial and error and I finally had some success with ripping the audio from the demo. Pretty sure I can't post that here, but it includes several music files that don't play anywhere in the demo. Tell you if I find anything interesting as I continue poking and prodding.

What is the music like? Anything awesome sauce?

Dusk Golem

What is the music like? Anything awesome sauce?

It's kind of hard to explain, I'm just listening to some of it right now. There's surprisingly like, 43 music tracks in the demo files. I've only listen to the first few but it sounds like menu music. I recognize one of them as the main menu music, and the others sound like the title screen and multiplayer mode menu music. If you know the Resident Evil Revelations menu music, the style is very similar to that. Listen to the rest of it in a bit. It sort of mixes more darker tones with ambiance and elegant melodies. Has some techno vibes, but there also are some instruments that sound like they were orchestrated.

Squire

Banned
Flood them GAF!

As far as I’m concerned the top priorities are pulling back the camera when aiming and giving the enemies more weight/reactions...

Fix up those two things first and then focus on getting rid of the awful tearing and fixing up all the other gameplay/control problems.

They can spend the summer addressing a lot of people's issues. Even if the game's at the beta stage, they're waaaay too far out from launch for none of this to change.

It's kind of hard to explain, I'm just listening to some of it right now. There's surprisingly like, 43 music tracks in the demo files. I've only listen to the first few but it sounds like menu music. I recognize one of them as the main menu music, and the others sound like the title screen and multiplayer mode meny music. If you know the Resident Evil Revelations menu music, the style is very similar to that. Listen to the rest of it in a bit.

Be sure to let us all know if there is anything like Rust in Summer 2008 in there.

Otacon

really impressive work you've done the last few days with digging through the files, Dusk Golem - much appreciated!
since don't care for the game anymore I also read most of the spoilers
I just don't understand why Capcpom would leave all those files in the demo
do they actually want gamers to find that stuff and speculate or are they just completely incompetent
yeah...don't answer - I know it's the latter Dx

Terrible Demo. Didn't like the controls and the camera. Hated the tearing. Seriously...the tearing makes this game almost unplayable for me.

I don't get why they use Chris so much, does anyone like this roid-abusing douchebag? The new guy seems to be even more of a douchebag judging by his dialog in the demo.

Dusk Golem

The music is pretty easy to tell what belongs to who thanks to how the numbering system works. Most of the music for gameplay was from the demo, though there were a few songs I don't recognize. Some really good orchestral pieces I want to mention, both in atmospheric and battle sequences. The demo also seems to have the full version of the game's main theme, which is the music that played during the E3 trailer.

I actually like it a lot, it has a more orchestral vibe to it than any other RE game (possibly with the exception of Darkside Chronicles) but mixes orchestral stuff with synths, but it all sounds pretty good with a few stand-out tracks. Unfortunately nothing outside of the gameplay and menu music... Like Mercenaries music for example. Well, there is a folder for Event music, but haven't listened to it yet.

Carbonox

I don't get why they use Chris so much, does anyone like this roid-abusing douchebag? The new guy seems to be even more of a douchebag judging by his dialog in the demo.

Yeah Chris is overplayed now but he is pretty much the mascot for dudebro Resident Evil.

I used to be a fan of Chris but now? I dislike him a fair bit. Leon's my guy now.

I like Chris in RE5, but without Wesker there to yell "CHRIIIIIIIIIISS!" at him, and no boulders to punch, what is the point of Chris?

gconsole

It's kind of hard to explain, I'm just listening to some of it right now. There's surprisingly like, 43 music tracks in the demo files. I've only listen to the first few but it sounds like menu music. I recognize one of them as the main menu music, and the others sound like the title screen and multiplayer mode menu music. If you know the Resident Evil Revelations menu music, the style is very similar to that. Listen to the rest of it in a bit. It sort of mixes more darker tones with ambiance and elegant melodies. Has some techno vibes, but there also are some instruments that sound like they were orchestrated.

Is it possible to post that on youtube?

It's been ages since I played Resident Evil 5, but I played it a few hours ago and then played the Chris section from Resident Evil 6. Lord help me. I can't....I just caaaan't! What happen? The difference in quality is shocking when you play them back to back. The first thing that you notice about Resident Evil 6 is the lack of polish and downgrade in graphics. The aiming is about 300 times worse too. I really miss the way enemies reacted. Binary Domain shits all over the Resident Evil 6 demo for crying out loud! :_;

Thanks Blim for the vids btw

Watched them on mah TV and yeah, WTF did I just watch!? (O___o)

Also, tearing is fucking glorious lol

Dusk Golem

Top Bottom