• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

UrbanRats

I've tried Leon and Chris.

Frame rate + FOV + motion blur + general darkness = I can't see shit and it gave me so much nausea i HAD to stop playing.
That said, one of the worst things i've played recently, i was ready to get it a bit down the line, but this demo definitely killed that intention.
Completely out of the radarm now.. maybe i'll give the public demo a shot, if it's improved somehow.

It's bad enough as a RE, but even as a shooter is incredibly poor, compare the Chris part with another Japanese TPS like Binary Domain, and the difference is embarassing.

The graphics also were VERY disappointing, but that's probably because i've been mostly playing on PC this year, so i'll close an eye on that.

BTW i love RE4 and tolerate RE5, this just feels worst, though.

omonimo

Banned
Well, I have seen some walkthrough (the link is in some page...) although in general appears smoother to RE 5 (ps3 version), when the things becomes complicate fps seems has the typical flaws of the MT framework on the ps3... I have counts 3 dips which freeze long almost 3 seconds, I don't joke... man, this engine it's a joke...

kaioshade

So far, i have not had too many problems with the game and am generally looking forward to it. I dont think it is quite as bad as some are making it, but to each their own.

Yuterald

You know Yuterald, you may just enjoy Revelations on the 3DS. I haven't played it, but from what I can tell it's basically closer to old school RE than anything since RE4.

For what it's worth, I know how you feel. My favorite game in the series is REmake, and I have been hoping for a RE2make for years now. But at the same time, those games don't sell as well as RE4/5, and Capcom is a business after all. It is hard for them to justify making an old school RE to their shareholders when they have a formula that is so successful.

It sucks, but that's life. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure we will be seeing some more old school RE, either through remakes or side games such as Revelations on other systems/handhelds.

I already played through Revelations. I sorta liked it. The ship portion of the game was fairly decent, but it wasn't quite there yet. Also, the episodic-like nature of the game ruined a lot of the pacing. There were run & gun chapters (involving Chris, of course, and a lot of other shit characters) in-between the "classic RE" segments and honestly, it ruined the game for me. If the entire game took place on the boat and it was more fleshed out it could have been a pretty cool affair.

Seriously though, it's WAY more than just having an area/scenario set up like the original Resident Evil mansion. There is little to no survivability in these games anymore. RE5 allowed you to purchase/stock up on shit in-between chapters. I GUARANTEE RE6 will work in a similar fashion. Where are the item boxes and limited storage? Why can't my saves be limited? Where's my unique music in my options menu (Resident Evil 3)? Where's my save room/type writer track that I'm always looking forward to hear? There's no risk or reward in ANY of these post RE-4 games. There's SO many little things that go into making Resident Evil what it is and it's all missing now.

I know, these games make money so they are never going back to the way it was, but I just hate that's how it's gotta be. I guess I hate the fact that people are conditioned to like it this way and not the other way, if that makes sense. =(

ErikB

Banned
I NEVER expected them to fuck up the core elements of why the RE4 formula worked so well.

I guess I am willing to give them props for trying new stuff rather than just churning out mission packs for RE4.

Plus I really do like what they have done - the new reticle and shooting mechanics work, and when you start double tapping targets as well as shooting precise headshots it feels good. You are far more mobile, and diving backwards away from an attack feels good. The massively expanded melee system is great. Plus there isn't anything I like more than a good cover system, and with the slide move RE6 has a good cover system.

Chris' scenario reminds me of the first level (Or two) of that crappy Army of Two sequel, except that game had better controls and combat...

No matter how much I adjust them, I can't come to terms with the control sensitivity in this demo. Always feels off and sloppy which ruins any fun I might be able to have. I hope they're greatly improved in the final game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I am willing to give them props for trying new stuff rather than just churning out mission packs for RE4.

Plus I really do like what they have done - the new reticle and shooting mechanics work, and when you start double tapping targets as well as shooting precise headshots it feels good. You are far more mobile, and diving backwards away from an attack feels good. The massively expanded melee system is great. Plus there isn't anything I like more than a good cover system, and with the slide move RE6 has a good cover system.

I think his argument isn't that the new mechanics aren't cool or executed well, but that it isn't what Resident Evil used to be about.

Damn, I really need to dig that game out again.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Telling ya... bind the camera to the player and this feels like a traditional TPS with an expanded moveset.

JoeFenix

I just looked him up and saw that too. That's some crazy shit, dude. Should have had him directing a Zak & Wiki 2 for Wii U instead, lol! Keep this guy away from Resident Evil! 0_0

We're gonna need to have a talk concerning this RE6 demo deal. What a mess lol!

Yuterald

Aaaaand I'm leaving this thread....

Oh, sorry...Ahem...

Resident Evil 6 is great! Resident Evil 6 can only exist if it keeps up with modern trends, so deal with it! Capcom can do no wrong! It's a AAA game with a lot of production values and marketing so it can't be bad! It's going to sell millions, I don't want to left out of the club! How can you not be looking forward to the next installment in a legendary franchise, you're insane! You haven't even played the final game yet, give them the benefit of a doubt!

Whatever, man...

Yuterald

Watch the videos of the Comic-Con demo, and remember we're getting it soon. Everyone is getting a little too riled up over a demo that is months old, it feels like July all over again.

What, this!? LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50iP0u5oLJ8

I just watched part of Leon's scenario from the Comic-con demo. Are you serious, dude? The game still looks as unresponsive as the demo I was playing! Also, all janky control/camera issues aside, the level design still looks like complete shit. There's way-points EVERYWHERE! Leon ran up to a locked gateway which required a key card. The camera literally panned in the direction of the cards location, a way-point triggered, and a message splashed across the screen saying "Find the key card". Way to paint the exact picture/problems I was trying to describe. Give me a break, guys.

glaurung

Shitbox? Really?
Yeah I might have sounded a bit harsh, but it is true.

This demo is not indicative of the final product - at all.

The biggest problem with this demo (and Cacpomc fixed it immediately after the demo saw the light of day) is that there is zero feedback from the enemies when you shoot them. It's like shooting holograms or air or cotton puppets or something. The next demos were considerably better, but here's silly old me hoping they'd release an updated demo on PSN.

I will be getting the game very close to launch, so skipping this demo and giving my code away does not bother me.

Xellos

Played through the demo twice. The loose camera, combined with framerate issues, overblown lighting, and blurry graphics made for a disorienting experience. I couldn't tell what was going during most of Chris's scenario. Leon's scenario reminded me of the over-the-should sections in Other M. Jake's scenario was OK and, of the three, seemed the most similar to RE4/5.

This demo is what I would expect from a farmed out RE game, not a Capcom developed, mainline entry.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah I might have sounded a bit harsh, but it is true.

This demo is not indicative of the final product - at all.

The biggest problem with this demo (and Cacpomc fixed it immediately after the demo saw the light of day) is that there is zero feedback from the enemies when you shoot them. It's like shooting holograms or air or cotton puppets or something. The next demos were considerably better, but here's silly old me hoping they'd release an updated demo on PSN.

I will be getting the game very close to launch, so skipping this demo and giving my code away does not bother me.

Have you, uh, already given the code away? I know someone who might be interested...

Curufinwe

Played through the demo twice. The loose camera, combined with framerate issues, overblown lighting, and blurry graphics made for a disorienting experience. I couldn't tell what was going during most of Chris's scenario. Leon's scenario reminded me of the over-the-should sections in Other M. Jake's scenario was OK and, of the three, seemed the most similar to RE4/5.

This demo is what I would expect from a farmed out RE game, not a Capcom developed, mainline entry.

Which demo?

dot

Watch the videos of the Comic-Con demo, and remember we're getting it soon. Everyone is getting a little too riled up over a demo that is months old, it feels like July all over again.

lol seriously. These impressions are hilarious.

Now i really wanna try the demo.

News Bot

Banned
What, this!? LOL!

I just watched part of Leon's scenario from the Comic-con demo. Are you serious, dude? The game still looks as unresponsive as the demo I was playing! Also, all janky control/camera issues aside, the level design still looks like complete shit. There's way-points EVERYWHERE! Leon ran up to a locked gateway which required a key card. The camera literally panned in the direction of the cards location, a way-point triggered, and a message splashed across the screen saying "Find the key card". Way to paint the exact picture/problems I was trying to describe. Give me a break, guys.

1) How can you tell how "responsive" it is without playing it?
2) Way-points are optional.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That's a little bit different from running up to a zombie and performing a combo on them.

Unless this is secretly god hand 2, in which case... proceed.

Melee is non-contextual now but there's a stamina bar that prevents you from just continuously melee-ing everything. If you watch the whole video there's plenty of (inaccurate) shooting, too.

Duxxy3

Melee is non-contextual now but there's a stamina bar that prevents you from just continuously melee-ing everything. If you watch the whole video there's plenty of (inaccurate) shooting, too.

I stopped watching after he ran up to a zombie and comboed it to death.

Doesn't mean I'm not buying it. I'll be there day 200ish after the PC version launches and it's on steam sale :)

Yuterald

1) How can you tell how "responsive" it is without playing it?
2) Way-points are optional.

1. Because it still just doesn't look right to me. I can just tell, especially now after playing the game in some fashion. It honestly doesn't look any better than the build I played. Who knows though, maybe I'm wrong and these other/newer builds are in fact "improved". It sure doesn't look it though.

2. Okay, so they're optional. It still doesn't mean that the level design is good. That video showcased exactly what my problem is with these modern day campaign games. There are way too many coop doors and the path-ing looks incredibly dull. There are still checkpoints too which means auto saves, no typewriters, etc. There is probably a chapter selection with a shop too. I'm just sick of this design/structure and I certainly want it out of my RE games. I feel like I'm going in circles here! =/

God damn, I hope Mikami's new horror game or whatever the fuck he's been working on strikes all the right chords. It's really my last hope.

EDIT: You guys are CRAZY if you think this game has/will have the same depth as God Hand. Holy shit, some of you guys are SO far gone, it's not even funny!

What, this!? LOL!

I'll be turning off waypoints...looks annoying, but hard to judge level design by these prief slices. Not that level design has ever been important in either RE4/RE5.

Amazing how the removal of the crosshair turns it back into the sort of RE I love though. Honestly this vid made me a believer. The problem with RE5 was that there was a ton to do in the game and reasons to replay it but the core gameplay was boring. RE6 seems to make the gunplay a lot more interesting. Normal difficulty does look like its giving you a few too many tools (evade, melee, etc) but I imagine strategically using these in pro mode in coop play will be blissful..

ErikB

Banned
EDIT: You guys are CRAZY if you think this game has/will have the same depth as God Hand. Holy shit, some of you guys are SO far gone, it's not even funny!

I don't think people immediately appreciated how good God Hand was either!*

:0)

(I don't know if it will take a place as one of the greats of video game design, but I do think it shows evidence of the kind of game that will grow on you as you get better at it. And that will reward getting better at it.)

*Not, you understand, that I have played God Hand.

Ganondorfo

If only the whole game was as scary as the leon s kennedy part in resident evil 6. The old mikami from resident evil 1-code veronica would have made the whole game like that.

If only the whole game was as scary as the leon s kennedy part in resident evil 6. The old mikami from resident evil 1-code veronica would have made the whole game like that.

From RE1-CV Mikami yea. But he started focusing on increasingly more action since RE4 released. I imagine his RE5 would have been similar to RE6 personally.

Ganondorfo

From RE1-CV Mikami yea. But he started focusing on increasingly more action since RE4 released. I imagine his RE5 would have been similar to RE6 personally.

Maybe thats why he didnt want to make anymore resident evil games, because capcom probably forced him to make more action oriented games like biohazard 4. I also think that mikami also wanted to make a survival horror game like dino crisis on next generation systems.

Dresden

Maybe thats why he didnt want to make anymore resident evil games, because capcom probably forced him to make more action oriented games like biohazard 4. I also think that mikami also wanted to make a survival horror game like dino crisis on next generation systems.

think or wish?

The atmosphere in the Leon part was great. This is the RE that used to be, the classic RE. So I loved this part. Next up was Chris' part, which was odd. Oh and ladders. The view behind him is off and it makes for viewing the surroundings difficult. The camera needs to be raised up and out a bit to make this right I feel. And why the hell when I shoot a zombie first it sounds like glass shattering. Really off putting. Weakest section of the demo. Next up is Sherrys part. A nemesis type creature you have to run from. This part seemed quite good although I died in the large area with the exploding barrels.

Overall it was better than I was expecting and the Leon part gave me hope of a return to RE roots. Though that was taken away with Chris' part.

But right from the title screen, I lost all composure and just giggled like a school boy at the giraffe blowjob. It can't be unseen now.

ErikB

Banned
And why the hell when I shoot a zombie first it sounds like glass shattering.

They are wearing some kinda ceramic mask, and it is the sound of that shattering that you are hearing.

0CF86D93049A55A963F04328C301D995.jpg

I actually think its pretty clear that both Kamiya and Mikami were dedicated to action games later in the GC/Ps2's lifecycle. Godhand, PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, Vanquish. The former 3 were basically projects that Capcom funded because Mikami and Kamiya earned the right, and after the poor sales Capcom tried to reign them in a bit so they got mad and left.

Judging by Bayonetta and Vanquish sales capcom was right. Really wish the both of them would have just stayed with Capcom. This gen has been a lesser one without them having access to Capcoms I.P's and resources.

TedNindo

Now the people who hated Capcom for RE4 and the people who love RE4 can hate Capcom together.

I loved classic RE. And I love RE4. And I don't know what I have to think of RE6 and I don't know if I'll get it.

Another series gone to shit?

Apdiddy

I think the demo that comes out on the 18th will change a lot of people's impressions.

New RE6 demo coming to 360, PS3 on Sep 18

I'll definitely play this before I decide to write off RE6 fully.

I get told I'm 'wrong' even though I admit I thought the current demo may have been a bad demo. If you liked what was in the current demo and I'm somehow playing it 'wrong,' great, that's totally your opinion and I'll respect that. I'm not trying to start arguments about it and I realize that the consensus so far is very mixed (plus yes, I'll admit that I over exaggerated). Just sharing my thoughts about the demo.

Yuterald

It's incredible to me that some people think that slow walking sections through dark rooms with scripted lightning strikes is a sign of them returning to their roots. Hook, line, and sinker. Good job, Capcom.

Top Bottom