• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Ken

1,145,083 is my highest in Duo
450K in Solo.(though I don't play solo much)

Had 2 people join my game from Agent Hunt at the start of Chris 4. I searched everywhere but couldn't find them.

I tried duo with randoms playing for fun and still couldn't kill all 150 on Urban Chaos. Pretty hard; I should watch some high level Merc videos.

elcapitan

My friend and I blazed through all three campaigns over the weekend on pro in split screen mode. Took us about 23 hours. Amazingly fun. Don't really understand the reviews. Some of the scenarios are absolutely spectacular. I think the weird niggles (like the unskippable real time cutscenes where enemies often stumble upon you) add a rough sort of charm to the game. I like that each campaign has its own flavor. If you have a willing partner, RE6 is a blast.

I tried duo with randoms playing for fun and still couldn't kill all 150 on Urban Chaos. Pretty hard; I should watch some high level Merc videos.
from 1 to about 15 quickshot+melee as much as possible.
20+ head shots
if you have a powerful secondary save it for 'minibosses' or if the combo is in danger.
shoot the legs of the armored guys
avoid using standard Ada & Helena on Urban Chaos.
bloodshot wave counter or just shoot them, melee will get you surrounded.
shoot the basic enemies before you worry about the fatties
pickup and mix herbs while getting the timers.

Bladenic

I need to start playing Mercs now that I'm done with campaign. I also need to get my Amazon map. Gonna try to platinum this game as soon as possible, preferably before AC3 comes out.

Ken

20+ head shots
if you have a powerful secondary save it for 'minibosses' or if the combo is in danger.

How do you counter Bloodshots? Is it as they are jumping at you?

That right there is your problem.

I hate players who start killing as soon as it begins and just let the combo die.

Sojgat

20+ head shots

Also

Always just quickshot the dogs

when you exhaust your stamina fall/slide to your back to recharge it, and shoot enemies from the ground to keep your combo going - this is the only time you should be more erratic with your fire, or use long bursts

Don't stay in the same place too long, you will either get crowded, or run out of enemies and loose your combo

Use default Chris:)

according to RE.net

Online players 753495

Is that the amount of concurrent users? if so... daaaaamn

Meaning how many are online all at once? Is that a high number?

I'm not sure how that compares to other games.

edit: also, lol, I just went into mercs urban chaos to get kills with Chris's knife for the Weapons Master trophy and didn't even pick up any time bonuses and got 75 kills and a score of like 80k... not that that's an impressive score but I was surprised I got that far with just a knife

Nemesis_

I know it's not much, but as we are now post-release I have removed the Variants and Pre-Order bonus sections from the OP. It makes it a little bit easier to scroll through.

I may or may not get around to condensing it even further.

Some people complained =/

Can you counter while standing right in the way of their dive or do you have to move to the side when the leap.

I normally run to them from far and it's just about pressing the counter button when they are close midair.

PS: I recommend approaching them when they are readying the leap because it makes an arc and sometimes it won't reach you, it it will reach you when nearing the floor, making countering less intuitive.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wonder if those
retro
costumes will be an award for the upcoming event.
'HUNK' dude
would also be cool.

I think they may be rewards for future events, as the upcoming Urban Chaos event says whoever wins in first gets a special award. Guessing there will be opportunities in future contests to win them.

And while we won't know for a while, I am guessing
Ada's
campaign being co-op,
HELPER
being playable in Mercenaries, and No Hope will all be future RE.NET awards. Capcom said there was one thing on the disk that was going to be future DLC, but going off the files I am pretty sure those are the pre-order maps or this one future mode that has stuff on the disk for it.

Ken

I think they may be rewards for future events, as the upcoming Urban Chaos event says whoever wins in first gets a special award. Guessing there will be opportunities in future contests to win them.

And while we won't know for a while, I am guessing
Ada's
campaign being co-op,
HELPER
being playable in Mercenaries, and No Hope will all be future RE.NET awards. Capcom said there was one thing on the disk that was going to be future DLC, but going off the files I am pretty sure those are the pre-order maps or this one future mode that has stuff on the disk for it.

First in the leaderboards? That doesn't sound like fun. :(

Dusk Golem

First in the leaderboards? That doesn't sound like fun. :(

Its all we know for now, though I agree it doesn't sound like the smartest way to tackle it but I'm working under assumption they'll become more available as time goes on in different contests. It could be something else as well, but it seems kinda likely to me based on it being a Mercs award. I'm guessing this time is a limited reward as it is the first time being given out, or at least I hope so.

-no chance in hell I'm going to win this-

Feindflug

Also

Always just quickshot the dogs

when you exhaust your stamina fall/slide to your back to recharge it, and shoot enemies from the ground to keep your combo going - this is the only time you should be more erratic with your fire, or use long bursts

Don't stay in the same place too long, you will either get crowded, or run out of enemies and loose your combo

Use default Chris:)

Didn't know that! :O

Finished Jake's campaign yesterday and I'd say that it's the weakest and the more inconsistent of the 3 both visual and gameplay wise, Leon' campaign is my favorite but Chris was also freakin' awesome with Chris Chapter 5 being the best final level and the best boss fight IMO.

I have to say that the learning curve for this game is steep mechanics wise but once everything clicks it's so much fun, it's funny because once I finished every campaign I was instantly thinking of playing it again and do better than last time...I've spent about 30hrs already and I feel that I have barely scratch it's surface, I see myself playing this game for quite some time - the amount of content and the replay value in this one is really impressive.

Still haven't played Ada's campaign but really I love this game despite it's flaws. BTW all the girls in this game are awesome, Sherry = <3.

I just finished listening to 8-4 Play podcast, nobody there liked it either. No game "journalists" I've heard talk about the game have grasped the combat mechanics, and it's actually starting to get annoying. Yes the game makes a bad first impression, but nobody is making this stuff up, the combat is excellent. Capcom have hobbled it in stupid ways with the skills system, but once you start experimenting, the combat begins to click. I'm good at it now, and have also experienced all the cheap things the game throws at you, so on repeat plays on pro, I blow through the chapters. The game throws a lot of weird design and other problems at the player, but it's not insurmountable.

Damn, but the camera is still awful.

If people aren't enjoying the base gameplay, some of them (I'd say a majority) won't bother digging deeper into the game to "get the most out of it." So for all the people, on GAF especially, who've had the game "grow" on them, they have to understand that won't happen for everyone. You shouldn't have to dig into these mechanics, most of which are spreading through word of mouth, for the combat to click.

An individual's enjoyment of RE6 basically comes down to whether or not the person can look past the design elements of the game and manage to have fun with it on some level. In the 7th year of this generation, and the 5th year of CoD4/Uncharted clone game design, RE6 has released at a time where a lot of critics and fans are no longer looking past the issues. Whether or not every game from here on out gets treated in a similar manner is another discussion entirely and will come up in the next month or 2, I guarantee it.

Dusk Golem

If people aren't enjoying the base gameplay, some of them (I'd say a majority) won't bother digging deeper into the game to "get the most out of it." So for all the people, on GAF especially, who've had the game "grow" on them, they have to understand that won't happen for everyone. You shouldn't have to dig into these mechanics, most of which are spreading through word of mouth, for the combat to click.

An individual's enjoyment of RE6 basically comes down to whether or not the person can look past the design elements of the game and manage to have fun with it on some level. In the 7th year of this generation, and the 5th year of CoD4/Uncharted clone game design, RE6 has released at a time where a lot of critics and fans are no longer looking past the issues. Whether or not every game from here on out gets treated in a similar manner is another discussion entirely and will come up in the next month or 2, I guarantee it.

Not entirely wrong, but not entirely true either. I know a lot of my friends, some of them are less or more gamers than others, are loving the game from the get-go. I also would argue that some of the game is designed and executed wonderfully, given not all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the love for the Chris campaign. It felt the least interesting, mechanically. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a lot of it, but Chris 1 is the low-point of the game, by far. I'm up to Jake Chapter 4, and I think Jake 3 is one of the highlights of the game so far. Snowmobile aside, I've been really enjoying the Jake stuff.

The Uncharted influence on this campaign is about as obvious as the COD influence on The Chris campaign.

Overall I'm actually very happy with the game. Not something I could recommend to someone at full price unless they're into a very specific type of experience, but it's definitely worth checking out once the price inevitably drops.

The game was never going to win many fans because it looks like the familiar, but in order to play successfully, or at least enjoyably, you have to approach situations differently than you've been trained to. The game does an awful job at explaining the basics. Some people clearly don't know how to quick-combine/tablet herbs, for example.

I can't believe how poorly they convey information in this game. Capcom have only themselves to blame for this one.

Sectus

I found out about the mechanics by looking at the controls and just experimenting. Within one hour I was doing all the various melees, dodges and quick shots. I think it just depends on the person playing if he enjoys experimenting or not.

Carbonox

I've yet to get round to Mercenaries but how many skill points can you get on average per go? I take it it's the best way to max out your skill list?

games for everyone belong to mobile devices. If this game was dumber down so a button press does everything for you I would despise it, as there would be no way to differentiate non-skilled players from skilled ones.

Isn't that one of the the purposes of games?

Goldenhen

Guys I played some mercs last night and as much as I like it, why am I only allowed access to one map? The other two are blacked out. Are they the preorder bonus maps?

All I have is Urban Chaos and it's not a map you could play over and over again.

Campaign wise we beat Leon 3 last night, it was crap!

You need to complete Chris and Jake's campaign in order to unlock the other 2 maps. The other 3 is preorder bonus maps.

Sojgat

I don't disagree, but it would be nice if somebody/anybody in the games media pointed out that RE6 has the best combat mechanics since Vanquish. A well reasoned dissenting opinion would be nice, even the reviews which gave the game a high score, barely touch on the deep combat the game offers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
games for everyone belong to mobile devices. If this game was dumber down so a button press does everything for you I would despise it, as there would be no way to differentiate non-skilled players from skilled ones.

Isn't that one of the the purposes of games?
What he's trying to articulate is that the game should show you the mechanics. It shouldn't just dump you in the game and then repeatedly bend you over a barrel because you don't know how to use MECHANIC-X. It's unfair and frustrating.

Dusk Golem

I've yet to get round to Mercenaries but how many skill points can you get on average per go? I take it it's the best way to max out your skill list?

It is the best way, but the points vary greatly. I will note four things things though:
-Enemies can drop no less than 500 Skill Points when they drop them in Mercs. Many even drop 1,000 or more.
-Enemies seem more likely to drop skill points the higher combo you have
-Playing online co-op helps, since you both can pick up the skill points, keep the combo going, and can pick up skill points of enemies the other killed when running by.
-You must finish the round and not die to collect your skill points.

In a good round of Mercs, I seem to get somewhere between 15,000-30,000 Skill Points, but this involves a longer match with a higher combo and me picking them up, of course.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't disagree, but it would be nice if somebody/anybody in the games media pointed out that RE6 has the best combat mechanics since Vanquish. A well reasoned dissenting opinion would be nice, even the reviews which gave the game a high score, barely touch on the deep combat the game offers.

That's most likely because they went into it expecting a Resident Evil game, and not Vanquish or Gears or whatever. Shooting while moving is only appearing in the series for the first time with this game. That change is big enough to let people ignore whatever else they may have put in to it because now they can just play it like Gears or play it like Uncharted or whatever. If Capcom had advertised RE6 as the big revolution of combat mechanics in the series, or even just sent a piece of paper with the moveset to the reviewers, we probably could have avoided this pointless discussion and focused more on the weak story or the loose design. Those are much more important points than "I can't figure out the controls!!!"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cvxfreak said:
RE5 is also a very different game, but it still contained design elements that were unmistakably RE.

citation needed

T.O.P

Banned
CVXfreak's review

Http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9114360

Its pretty in depth, going through it right now.

Overall, RE6 just doesn't give the player much of an opportunity to be as calculating and deliberate, instead pushing you to be more random and erratic in your combat. You will spend much of this 20-hour game hoping that you pull off that attack combination your survival hinges on, and that you dodge enemies without mistakenly getting closer to them.

i seriously don't get what he's trying to say here

Not entirely wrong, but not entirely true either. I know a lot of my friends, some of them are less or more gamers than others, are loving the game from the get-go. I also would argue that some of the game is designed and executed wonderfully, given not all.

Maybe it doesn't wholly apply for the general public, but it's certainly seems to be that way for the critics. Most major reviews reads very similarly mentioning the same criticisms, but where those opinions split is whether or not the reviewer managed to have fun in spite of those issues. That could be said of any game review, but none in recent memory have been as polarizing as this game.

As for whether or not you think the game is designed well, that's your opinion, and I can't call you wrong. I, personally, don't see anything genuinely impressive about this game from general design, to scenario design, to narrative, to mechanics. The amount of movement and combat options is pretty interesting, but that's about it. And even then something like the quick shot, which many seem to love, is a terrible mechanic IMO. Everyone will have a different experience.

I found out about the mechanics by looking at the controls and just experimenting. Within one hour I was doing all the various melees, dodges and quick shots. I think it just depends on the person playing if he enjoys experimenting or not.

It's not just up to enjoying experimentation. If the game doesn't explain mechanics well enough ON TOP OF the other issues someone might have with it, what's the incentive to start digging through the options? There are too many distractions and too little time these days to "force" a game to become enjoyable if you don't like it at a base level.

Game critics, in general, are pretty bad at delving deep into mechanics, so it really shouldn't be a surprise. I've come to realize that after all the praise Uncharted 3 got, yet barely any of the major publications mentioned a single thing of how combat has changed. Shooters, in general, don't get put under a microscope nearly enough, to the point that mechanically great games like Vanquish or Max Payne 3 get glossed over despite being head and shoulders above their contemporaries.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

He's saying the combat isn't tight enough to make the additions worthwhile. In RE4 or 5 the combat is always precise, that is, you can space yourself properly and shoot shit from far away, then finish the job with melee, for almost any encounter in the game. In 6, because enemy patterns are much more erratic, you're forced to use combat mechanics that don't always go the way you want them to. Sometimes melee moves work, sometimes they don't, sometimes instakills work, sometimes not, sometimes you dive the direction you wanted to, sometimes you don't. Is what he's saying.

Ken

I think he means that there's a lot of randomness in the combat that ruins your ability to plan ahead and adds to frustration. I didn't read his review but maybe he means stuff like...

1) Multiple head shots not killing the enemy but just making them flinch, while a single head shot on a different enemy of the same type will kill it.

2) Missing curb stomps and finishers because the zombie already started getting up.

That's about all I can think of. I'd imagine the first scenario is related to hidden critical chance numbers, and the second isn't all that random after awhile (doesn't take long before you realize how much time you have to connect the stomp).

After 4 hours of Mercenaries though, I think the combat is pretty predictable as it's not much different from Mercenaries 3D. I haven't encountered melees that don't work outside of the whole zombie already being in the "getting up" animation thing.

Sectus

It's not just up to enjoying experimentation. If the game doesn't explain mechanics well enough ON TOP OF the other issues someone might have with it, what's the incentive to start digging through the options? There are too many options and too little time these days to "force" a game to become enjoyable if you don't like it at a base level.
If people has such a short attention span they can't allow themselves the time to experiment, then they really should go play something else. You don't need more information about dodging than the input commands in order to learn how to utilize it. If people can do this with fighting games which are endlessly more complex, they should be able to do it here.

cvxfreak

citation needed

1. Lickers
2. Lost In Nightmares
3. Uroboros (taken from the original version of RE4)
4. Umbrella/Tricell laboratory
5. General plot style

Sure, there were plenty of things that were a departure, but RE6 to me just proves how many took RE5's relatively few changes from RE4 for granted.

And thanks to worldrevolution and Ken for explaining exactly what I meant. I haven't done a thorough edit of my critique, so I would appreciate feedback if things sound unclear, or are flat out wrong, or if you flat out disagree. :)

RE4 and RE5 have a more methodical approach in the combat department, is still a quite frantic action game but the games give you enough window to let you think the best course of action. What weapons are the best for the actual situation, what's the best melee attack to use, the best crowd control tactic, etc...

Also how the levels are designed helps that.

RE6 is quite chaotic in that regard and requires of the player much rapid thinking. You got enemies with fireguns, melee attackers trying to hit you for your blind sides all at the same time. Sometimes you won't even see that a guy mutated to some nasty creature unless you have it in your face.

They're different approach. Definetly RE4 is way more polished and every enemy and part of the game is designed to suit properly the combat. RE6 is really uneven on the enemy encounters and definetly has some problems, but is also a much deep combat system.

meta4

Maybe it doesn't wholly apply for the general public, but it's certainly seems to be that way for the critics. Most major reviews reads very similarly mentioning the same criticisms, but where those opinions split is whether or not the reviewer managed to have fun in spite of those issues. That could be said of any game review, but none in recent memory have been as polarizing as this game.

As for whether or not you think the game is designed well, that's your opinion, and I can't call you wrong. I, personally, don't see anything genuinely impressive about this game from general design, to scenario design, to narrative, to mechanics. The amount of movement and combat options is pretty interesting, but that's about it. And even then something like the quick shot, which many seem to love, is a terrible mechanic IMO. Everyone will have a different experience.

It's not just up to enjoying experimentation. If the game doesn't explain mechanics well enough ON TOP OF the other issues someone might have with it, what's the incentive to start digging through the options? There are too many distractions and too little time these days to "force" a game to become enjoyable if you don't like it at a base level.

Game critics, in general, are pretty bad at delving deep into mechanics, so it really shouldn't be a surprise. I've come to realize that after all the praise Uncharted 3 got, yet barely any of the major publications mentioned a single thing of how combat has changed. Shooters, in general, don't get put under a microscope nearly enough, to the point that mechanically great games like Vanquish or Max Payne 3 get glossed over despite being head and shoulders above their contemporaries.

That is because Vanquish may be mechanically great but it loses points on content and variety which is why they are not looked at in the same yardstick as some of the other highly praised games like Gears or Uncharted. There is absolutely nothing wrong in liking UC2 or Gears more than Vanqush even if one were to acknowledge the mechanics of Vanquish to be superior to both. Different strokes for different folks.

Carbonox

For some reason I feel inclined to play Resident Evil 5 again soon. :lol

Resident Evil 6 - despite being very fun - made me appreciate RE5 a little bit more.

Ken

For some reason I feel inclined to play Resident Evil 5 again soon. :lol

Resident Evil 6 - despite being very fun - made me appreciate RE5 a little bit more.

I enjoy the additions to RE6 combat so it might be really hard to go back to a world without diving and rolling lol.

Sojgat

From the exhaustive and fairly balanced 1up review:

But in a heated showdown, what you want your character to do with a combination of bullets and melee may not necessarily be what plays out after you press those buttons. Sometimes melee attacks may finish an enemy off right away; other times the attack may do absolutely nothing. One moment, your character may melee attack an enemy and send it flying, while moments later, the same enemy type will be impervious to the very same attack that worked moments ago. This is partially explained by the limited stamina gauge, but the issue is how much the player leaves to the game to determine how a battle is going to end.

See now this isn't true. The game requires specific conditions and actions to stun, or stagger enemies in the correct way to execute certain context-sensitive melee moves. Spin them, knock them forward, stun and attack fom the front, the side, or the rear all will have different results with different weapons and characters. I can perform the same moves on an enemy type consistently and repeatedly, and I can post videos of others doing the same thing.

Kind of boring repetitive Mercs play, but you will get the idea

To be fair, the combat mechanics become easier to deal with as you get more and more used to how it works, which means players may come to enjoy RE6's combat for what it is. Personally, I prefer a tighter relationship between gameplay and player and do not take much of a liking to semi-random button mashes and unpredictability, especially in a RE game.

Preferring RE5's combat is an opinion that the reviewer and anybody else is perfectly entitled to, saying that the systems in RE6 are semi-random and unpredictable is just factually wrong. Criticisms should be leveled that the lack of explanation is unexceptable, or that the finicky nature of what the game expects confounds expectations, but at least it's correct to say "the combat mechanics become easier to deal with as you get more and more used to how it works".

End rant- sorry people:(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I enjoy the additions to RE6 combat so it might be really hard to go back to a world without diving and rolling lol.
This is absolutely true.

I tried to pick up Revelations again after playing RE6 and found it more difficult to enjoy. The lack of running and the simplified move set along with the low number of rather dull enemies makes for a bit of a snoozer. It's just not as exciting or interesting to play.

RE5 at least has more interesting mechanics than Revelations so it shouldn't be too hard to return to.

Top Bottom