• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
And thanks to worldrevolution and Ken for explaining exactly what I meant. I haven't done a thorough edit of my critique, so I would appreciate feedback if things sound unclear, or are flat out wrong, or if you flat out disagree. :)

No problem. Though I have to ask, did you play the game primarily single or in co-op? Cause if it was single..gotta throw your review out the window (joking..sorta). 5 and 6 must be played co-op, and only co-op. These games aren't like the older entries where you can enjoy it by yourself through the tension, setting, or atmosphere. These games are meant to be experienced with a friend, going oohhh yeah at the cool stuff and laughing at the stupid stuff. 5 gave me an RE I never expected because of co-op, and I'm glad they took it further with 6.

Nemesis_

RE6 has very similar mechanics to RE5, just different animations.

I think that creates confusing since the animations in RE4 and RE5 were so similar as well.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I think that creates confusing since the animations in RE4 and RE5 were so similar as well.
It doesn't help that the animations in RE6 look awful and probably don't communicate well to the player.

cvxfreak

From the exhaustive and fairly balanced 1up review:

See now this isn't true. The game requires specific conditions and actions to stun, or stagger enemies in the correct way to execute certain context-sensitive melee moves. Spin them, knock them forward, stun and attack fom the front, the side, or the rear all will have different results with different weapons and characters. I can perform the same moves on an enemy type consistently and repeatedly, and I can post videos of others doing the same thing.

Kind of boring repeatitive Mercs play, but you will get the idea

Preferring RE5's combat is an opinion that the reviewer and anybody else is perfectly entitled to, saying that the systems in RE6 are semi-random and unpredictable is just factually wrong. Criticisms should be leveled that the lack of explanation is unexceptable, or that the finicky nature of what the game expects confounds expectations, but at least it's correct to say "the combat mechanics become easier to deal with as you get more and more used to how it works".

End rant- sorry people:(

Very interesting and probably true points, so no need to be sorry.

Still, I stick by my claims on that end. Maybe it isn't semi-random or random at all, but it's still unpredictable due to design choices such as being shot at from afar, the stamina gauge possibly being depleted, what enemies your co-op partner may or may not yet have eliminated, and so forth. That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing depending on your taste. It's not why I enjoyed every RE until RE6 though.

Spazznid

From the exhaustive and fairly balanced 1up review:

See now this isn't true. The game requires specific conditions and actions to stun, or stagger enemies in the correct way to execute certain context-sensitive melee moves. Spin them, knock them forward, stun and attack fom the front, the side, or the rear all will have different results with different weapons and characters. I can perform the same moves on an enemy type consistently and repeatedly, and I can post videos of others doing the same thing.

Kind of boring repetitive Mercs play, but you will get the idea

Preferring RE5's combat is an opinion that the reviewer and anybody else is perfectly entitled to, saying that the systems in RE6 are semi-random and unpredictable is just factually wrong. Criticisms should be leveled that the lack of explanation is unexceptable, or that the finicky nature of what the game expects confounds expectations, but at least it's correct to say "the combat mechanics become easier to deal with as you get more and more used to how it works".

End rant- sorry people:(

It may be hard to notice that stomping on the head means insta kill and anywhere else means standard damage.

However, this review is full of, "I don't like it because of [Assumption]."

Actually while the base RE4 and RE5 gameplay may be still there, the all additions to the combat and the enemies with guns and more agressive patterns, makes for a very different experience.

The more I play the more a realise is a big departure from RE4-RE5.

Biggzy

Not really. Unless you're COD, you don't beat FIFA in the UK.

The worry is that Fifa has supposedly held the top spot "easily" despite Resi 5 being released on a Tuesday and Fifa dropping 72% over last week.

Should be interesting if it can hold it's number 2 position next week.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
If people has such a short attention span they can't allow themselves the time to experiment, then they really should go play something else. You don't need more information about dodging than the input commands in order to learn how to utilize it. If people can do this with fighting games which are endlessly more complex, they should be able to do it here.

This isn't a shot at anyone, but they don't. That's why a lot of fighters nowadays have a button to press for cool shit to happen, and simplified controls where the game plays for you.

If people has such a short attention span they can't allow themselves the time to experiment, then they really should go play something else. You don't need more information about dodging than the key inputs to do them in order to learn how to utilize it. If people can do this with fighting games which are endlessly more complex, they should be able to do it here.

You're giving people too much credit. Most form their opinion on a game within the first hour, if not sooner or even PRIOR to playing, and that positivity or negativity will permeate through most of the experience. Some might dig into the mechanics to make the game work for them, and some will drop it then and there never willing to "learn" because they just didn't enjoy even the simplest of scenarios. All of that, and more, comes with an individual's personal experience.

That is because Vanquish may be mechanically great but it loses points on content and variety which is why they are not looked at in the same yardstick as some of the other highly praised games like Gears or Uncharted. There is absolutely nothing wrong in liking UC2 or Gears more than Vanqush even if one were to acknowledge the mechanics of Vanquish to be superior to both. Different strokes for different folks.

It's not about whether one reviewer prefers one experience over another, it's just about how they rarely, if ever, dive into and compare/contrast mechanics in reviews. In my mind, you review a game vs. it's peers and discuss those mechanics in order to form a critical opinion, and also to inform the reader. That doesn't really happen and it's why you have every review contained in its own bubble and why RE6 is getting slammed for things upcoming games will be given a pass for. Hopefully there's just as big an outrage over THAT as there has been for the negative feedback over RE6.

Oldschoolgamer

Also, fighters tend to have tutorials and missions in the game dedicated to teaching the mechanics. Maybe this needed a segment in the beginning akin to Gears of War and Vanquish's, that's designed to teach you everything.

Sojgat

It doesn't help that the animations in RE6 look awful and probably don't communicate well to the player.

Some do look awful, but many are just different to RE4 & 5. The game lacks polish in all areas, but there are very few cases of unpredictability once you're (very) familiar with the game's quirks (as I imagine the designers must have been). That you must first become very familiar with all these eccentricities, before becoming proficient, or truly enjoying the combat is another matter entirely. Especially when the game only gives play tips in split second loading screens. I understand why the mainstream audience for RE6 may be very upset and confused by the gameplay, I was initially.

Also, fighters tend to have tutorials and missions in the game dedicated to teaching the mechanics. Maybe this needed a segment in the beginning akin to Gears of War and Vanquish's, that's designed to teach you everything.

Fighting games have also remained largely the same for over a decade with the exception of one or two new/altered mechanics in any new game. RE6 made a lot of changes to the core gameplay of the series, and if they're not handled delicately and explained correctly (not necessarily explicitly), you'll have a lot of uninformed players.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ok I have now mastered the counter and it seems a little OP... and too easy to pull off.

Ken

Some do look awful, but many are just different to RE4 & 5. The game lacks polish in all areas, but there are very few cases of unpredictability once you're (very) familiar with the game's quirks (as I imagine the designers must have been). That you must first become very familiar with all these eccentricities, before becoming proficient, or truly enjoying the combat is another matter entirely. Especially when the game only gives play tips in split second loading screens. I understand why the mainstream audience for RE6 may be very upset and confused by the gameplay, I was initially.

Agreed.

I was initially very frustrated early in Leon's campaign where whenever I went for a stomp on a grounded enemy they would grab me and I'd lose a lot of health. "This never happened in RE4 or 5 why is this happening" was what I kept thinking. After awhile I understood that now certain enemies can retaliate even when down so I have to be quicker with the stomp or attempt to bait it and then stomp.

^Countering seems great against Bloodshots but against anything else on UC you are losing time on the clock waiting for an attack to counter, IMO.

Sectus

This isn't a shot at anyone, but they don't. That's why a lot of fighters nowadays have a button to press for cool shit to happen, and simplified controls where the game plays for you.

Which fighters have you played recently? The most recent ones I've played are Tekken Tag 2 and Soul Calibur 5, and both are among the most hardcore in their series. It would take months to even become competent at the games. They definitely have no "press button to win" mechanics.

Yes. Tekken Tag 2 has a tutorial teaching you to input "star" and then expect you to do throw breaks on reaction. It teaches you absolutely nothing how to actually play a normal match. The other fighting game tutorials I've played have only barely been better than that (like SC: Broken Destiny tries to "teach you" by having you guess if you should duck, block or counter ramdom attacks. while SF4 have you doing extremely difficult combos with no information on how to actually utilize them in a fight). I think fighting games are easily the hardest genre to get into unless you're content with being a button masher.

RPGCrazied

Won't get to play for awhile, haven't watched any reviews, but how does this stack up against 4/5? I loved 4, 5 I thought was good too except the brain dead A.I for Shiva.

Sectus

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nds-to-resident-evil-6-on-disc-dlc-revelation - Huzzah, my videos are becoming famous!

It's too bad that Capcom guy is lying quite a bit (or he doesn't know better). 2 of the DLC is already on disc, and the other DLC (multiplayer modes and maps) are already partially on the disc. I'm not particuarly annoyed by this (it's already become a worryingly common trend), but Capcom could at least be truthful about it. Well, the Eurogamer guy is to blame too as he's thinking the costumes and taunts are DLC too, which they aren't.

Evolved1

Won't get to play for awhile, haven't watched any reviews, but how does this stack up against 4/5? I loved 4, 5 I thought was good too except the brain dead A.I for Shiva.

Well that is fixed at least... hard to say how you'll like RE6 though. People are all over the map on it.

I think it's great.

Evolved1

^Countering seems great against Bloodshots but against anything else on UC you are losing time on the clock waiting for an attack to counter, IMO.

You get ten seconds for a successful weapon counter...

Oldschoolgamer

Which fighters have you played recently? The most recent ones I've played are Tekken Tag 2 and Soul Calibur 5, and both are among the most hardcore in their series. It would take months to even become competent at the games. They definitely have no "press button to win" mechanics.

You can see it in the difference between Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, as well as Capcom's own MvC2 and MvC3. They aren't win buttons, but a lot of the cooler shit is dedicated to a single button, to streamline it so that people have an easier time doing flashy moves.

The simple controls in marvel act like DMC on easy automatic, and do certain things automatically for you.

And you bring up something new for the series as well. Fighters take a long time to master. I've never played a TPS that took me more than the intro to get me doing everything I need to complete the game without headache. Brawlers are a different matter.

Yes. Tekken Tag 2 has a tutorial teaching you to input "star" and then expect you to do throw breaks on reaction. It teaches you absolutely nothing how to actually play a normal match. The other fighting game tutorials I've played have only barely been better than that (like SC: Broken Destiny tries to "teach you" by having you guess if you should duck, block or counter ramdom attacks. while SF4 have you doing extremely difficult combos with no information on how to actually utilize them in a fight). I think fighting games are easily the hardest genre to get into unless you're content with being a button masher.

Skullgirls actually teaches you how to play fighters, in general. BlazeBlue's tutorials are extensive as well. Kof, SF IV, and marvel all teach you the base mechanics. Even the games you mentioned go a lot further than RE 6.

A lot of people are content with being button mashers (hence the simplified controls, xfc, rage, etc..). They get their entertainment from the base mechanics and move on. They get the choice to either level up or move on depending on how competitive they want to be. Most importantly, all of the mechanics are explained right there in the game for them. It's old school with this game, and it expects you to look elsewhere to find everything out.

I agree. Fighters are one of the harder genres to excell in. This isn't a fighter though, or is it? Dun dun dun.

I've only completed Leon and Chris' campaigns so far and if we were to compare their respective campaigns to their respective games (as Capcom had implied pre-release: Leon's campaign = RE4, and Chris' = RE5), then Leons is fucking horrible and Chris' is "passable".

As for AI woes, it's still bad BUT you can tell your AI partner who to focus fire on now so that makes things a little less frustrating. As with RE5, I recommend getting a friend to help you out to cut down on AI stupidity.

Sectus

You can see it in the difference between Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, as well as Capcom's own MvC2 and MvC3. They aren't win buttons, but a lot of the cooler shit is dedicated to a single button, to streamline it so that people have an easier time doing flashy moves.

The simple controls in marvel act like DMC on easy automatic, and do certain things automatically for you.

And you bring up something new for the series as well. Fighters take a long time to master. I've never played a TPS that took me more than the intro to get me doing everything I need to complete the game without headache. Brawlers are a different matter.
I haven't played those games so I'll take your words for it.

I was using fighting games for the sake of comparison, as that's a genre where you *have* to spend a lot of time to even become competent. And I think it's unfair people always expect to master a shooter within seconds. I don't think having a learning curve is a bad thing. The are other games I could compare to too (Vanquish, Dark Souls, or many other games which is in a genre where you expect things to be very simple, but those games have a learning curve), but fighting games were the most obvious (although not the best comparison).

Evolved1

Hey did you see my tips for using Ada a couple of pages back? I was determined to make her viable and came up with a decent strategy.

Yes I did... meant to quote/respond to that. I'm unfamiliar with the one skill you recommended, so I have to look that up. Seems like a solid strategy.

My issue with Ada is that she doesn't start off very well... I mean you need to do a lap of pickups just to be where most other characters begin. I'm fine with her until the armored machine gun/magnum assholes show up. Then it gets dicey.

My biggest problem though, is shitty partners who always die. I cannot believe people die in duo mercs. I can't get super high solo scores, but at least I never die!

Stay alive people! At the end of the round, get close to your partner if you suck that bad... near the end they start swarming, you needn't worry about chasing down the combo, it'll come to you! Just don't freaking die! /PSA

Very interesting and probably true points, so no need to be sorry.

Still, I stick by my claims on that end. Maybe it isn't semi-random or random at all, but it's still unpredictable due to design choices such as being shot at from afar, the stamina gauge possibly being depleted, what enemies your co-op partner may or may not yet have eliminated, and so forth. That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing depending on your taste. It's not why I enjoyed every RE until RE6 though.

cvxfreak, what were your final thoughts on the game ?

Grisby

Infinite ammo doesn't affect achievements stuff right? Thinking about trying to start and beat professional.

Just choose a newgame+ and go right? Does it matter if I choose to play as Helena/Piers/Sherry this time?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My thought on this game after playing for a day, Leon and Jake's campaigns, is that it's definitely a Japanese take on an "uncharted" - meaning it's mechanically dense and more skill based than a typical, similar, western game. There's some form of irony buried in there, I dunno.

Thing is, I like it; when games with QTEs and such often get a little boring after a short while. Even the QTE sections and their interface, I must admit, have more thought put into them than is typical, and are actually kind of hard. Plus many (tho not all) are not simply pass-fail but pass-suffer damage-alternate outcome.

In terms of action and combat, I couldn't go back easily to a past RE without missing most of it. The remarkable thing, that I was talking about with a co-op partner, seems to be this: the game feels as if they've finally nailed giving the player a character who is mobile, capable, and can do all the things you'd think a real human in shape to put up a fight, would be capable of doing. But, the nature of the enemies, encounter construction, and pacing are such that the horror element is preserved and you still feel very vulnerable and in constant peril. Talking about Leon's campaign here, at the very least... it does IMO bring back a lot of the 'chills' and sense of dread of early RE games. Plus the zombie panic mood from RE2.

Mind you, I liked RE5 and I don't mind evolving the series because to me, RE was never about just RE1. IMO, RE1 intentionally betrayed its apparent supernatural horror story mood halfway through the game, when you find out everything is actually mad science, and it shifts tone to the industrial basement of the manor. To me, Resident Evil is about batshit insane sci fi and monsters, biological heebee-jeebees, with apocalyptic scenarios. No one set of wrapping is required to make it feel true to that

Riposte

No one bothered to answer my pondering on how joining a game late and getting credit for a chapter works... I'd appreciate if someone with more definite information would clarify it for me.

On randomness, I'll just say this game would be better if it had less missiles altogether. The beginning of Jake 1 annoyed me because of it.

EDIT: I find it amusing that by joining games, you could end up beating the three campaigns in the first hour or two. I wonder if you get credit for stuff.

Nemesis_

Infinite ammo doesn't affect achievements stuff right? Thinking about trying to start and beat professional.

Just choose a newgame+ and go right? Does it matter if I choose to play as Helena/Piers/Sherry this time?

Well if you're achievement hunting, there are some emblems only obtainable with certain characters.

Also, infinite ammo does have an effect on achievements, I believe.

Oldschoolgamer

I haven't played those games so I'll take your words for it.

I was using fighting games for the sake of comparison, as that's a genre where you *have* to spend a lot of time to even become competent. And I think it's unfair people always expect to master a shooter within seconds. I don't think having a learning curve is a bad thing. The are other games I could compare to too (Vanquish, Dark Souls, or many other games which is in a genre where you expect things to be very simple, but those games have a learning curve), but fighting games were the most obvious (although not the best comparison).

I agree. It isn't fair at all. I think that there is a lot of room for expansion in the genre, and that people having to spend some time with a game isn't a bad thing. I just don't think it's fair (not that you were insinuating it) that people get "penalized" for not knowing something, when the game never explains it (in a manual or otherwise), and it doesn't really teach it to you in the first place: especially when practically every other game in it's "genre" does. For the record, I feel fighters need to do a hell of a lot better in teaching players how to actually play, and not just press buttons.

Dead Space 2 doesn't really have a tutorial stage either, but you learn how to play the game in the very first chapter, thanks to how the level is designed, and various hints placed in the background. Even things like, "stomp this box" go a long way in informing the player on how to do certain things, and what they can do to enemies.

Vanquish doesn't penalize you for not knowing the more advanced mechanics. Something like tech-rolling should have been made known from the first screen, because you do get penalized for ignorance of the mechanics, and that leads to annoyance. All in presentation of the information, and it's unfortunate that they don't present it well.

I don't know if it was you, or someone else that said something along the lines of people having to sit through a round of Mercs mode first to learn the game. They really should have something like that as a tutorial stage.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I posted my GT in the co-op thread for anyone interested in doing co-op campaign and/or Mercs but that thread is dead in the water. I still need to finish the Ada campaign (will probably work on that tonight/tomorrow) but I want to get into Mercs since everyone seems to be raving about it. I'm good with the combat mechanics but I didn't really play much of RE5 Mercs so I expect it will take me a while to get up to speed on the best tactics.

Also in order to unlock costumes do I have to finish the Ada campaign? I can't seem to find any options for costumes anywhere in the menus even though I've finished Jake/Chris/Leon campaigns.

Yes I did... meant to quote/respond to that. I'm unfamiliar with the one skill you recommended, so I have to look that up. Seems like a solid strategy.

My issue with Ada is that she doesn't start off very well... I mean you need to do a lap of pickups just to be where most other characters begin. I'm fine with her until the armored machine gun/magnum assholes show up. Then it gets dicey.

My biggest problem though, is shitty partners who always die. I cannot believe people die in duo mercs. I can't get super high solo scores, but at least I never die!

Stay alive people! At the end of the round, get close to your partner if you suck that bad... near the end they start swarming, you needn't worry about chasing down the combo, it'll come to you! Just don't freaking die! /PSA

It increases firearm damage, reduces melee. Definitely agree about her loadout, I think should had an Assault Shotgun along with the other weapons. As far as teammates dying is concerned, I find myself equipping Medic a whole more than I want to...

Nemesis_

PLUGGING THIS THREAD

FEELING LONELY? You are able to organize co-operative sessions, chat about recent matches and more with your fellow GAFfers in our DEDICATED COMMUNITY THREAD posted in Gaming Community.

FEELING LONELY? You are able to organize co-operative sessions, chat about recent matches and more with your fellow GAFfers in our DEDICATED COMMUNITY THREAD posted in Gaming Community.

ironcreed

Banned
For some reason I feel inclined to play Resident Evil 5 again soon. :lol

Resident Evil 6 - despite being very fun - made me appreciate RE5 a little bit more.

Indeed, I feel the same. Beings I have been in my holiday shopping spree mode, I actually bought the Gold Edition off PSN last night because I sold my old copy off long ago and missed the add-ons. RE6 made me appreciate the slower paced, more meticulous gameplay of having to pick your spots and manage your inventory while being attacked. Not to mention that I like the look more, the enemy design is better and it is just a more polished game on the whole.

Riposte

Has anyone received credit for a chapter which was in progress when they joined? I mean that even if you joined near the start.

Nemesis_

I cannot wait for this game to open up to six players.

Shit is going to be so hectic and intense, and the actual mechanics of the game will make it more suited for Versus modes than RE5 was ever.

fvwisbivund sibefwd snc the excitement.

Evolved1

It increases firearm damage, reduces melee. Definitely agree about her loadout, I think should had an Assault Shotgun along with the other weapons. As far as teammates dying is concerned, I find myself equipping Medic a whole more than I want to...

Medic is hilarious... it's like the ultimate insult to another player when they see you switch from Limit Breaker to Medic after they die.

hahaha

Nemesis_

I've had to use Medic so much with some of the terrible people I've been matched up with.

I'm trying to get that skill achievement, but once I do I might take a more serious look at the Mercs skillsets.

Curufinwe

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nds-to-resident-evil-6-on-disc-dlc-revelation - Huzzah, my videos are becoming famous!

It's too bad that Capcom guy is lying quite a bit (or he doesn't know better). 2 of the DLC is already on disc, and the other DLC (multiplayer modes and maps) are already partially on the disc. I'm not particuarly annoyed by this (it's already become a worryingly common trend), but Capcom could at least be truthful about it. Well, the Eurogamer guy is to blame too as he's thinking the costumes and taunts are DLC too, which they aren't.

He already updated the story.

UPDATE: According to FluffyQuack's YouTube video description, it appears the No Hope difficulty is indeed on-disc DLC, but the costumes, attacks and taunts are unlockable items. The game files refer to map packs, multiplayer game modes and a co-op for the Ada campaign, which appear to partially be on the disc.

Nemesis_

Does Medic even work effectively as, say, healing nearby?

It doesn't seem to. Or maybe my team mates have just been absolutely TERRIBLE and been damaged shortly thereafter.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll ask this again on a new page - how do you unlock the ability to use costumes? Do you have to beat all four campaigns? I beat the first three campaigns and I don't see any costume options.

RedSwirl

In terms of action and combat, I couldn't go back easily to a past RE without missing most of it. The remarkable thing, that I was talking about with a co-op partner, seems to be this: the game feels as if they've finally nailed giving the player a character who is mobile, capable, and can do all the things you'd think a real human in shape to put up a fight, would be capable of doing.

Definitely agree here. They finally decided to throw in "modern" controls and balance the enemies for such controls. Honestly, the combat system here in RE6 really does feel like a proper evolution of RE4. I honestly don't know if I could easily go back to RE4 after playing this game.

My problem is that I played the campaigns in order from Leon to Chris to Jake, and didn't really fully learn the combat system until Jake Chapter 3, which I think does the best job of teaching the close quarters intricacies to you. I feel like I wanna try Leon and Chris again, but I don't really have time on my rental schedule. Definitely thinking about picking up the PC version when it comes out (hopefully at $39.99).

But, the nature of the enemies, encounter construction, and pacing are such that the horror element is preserved and you still feel very vulnerable and in constant peril. Talking about Leon's campaign here, at the very least... it does IMO bring back a lot of the 'chills' and sense of dread of early RE games. Plus the zombie panic mood from RE2.

I wouldn't go that far. The only times I felt "in peril" were the times I ran completely out of ammo during Chris' campaign.

Top Bottom