• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I did a video on this game, which, I dunno, you guys might be interested in.

Resident Evil 6: Absolutely Ridiculous

The prelude was clearly intended to be a tutorial while at the same time ripping off the in medias res intro of Uncharted 2. Unfortunately, it taught only the most basic things, and also how to read their ubiquitous QTE prompts. I actually didn't hate it as much as some people because I could appreciate how they were making use of it. It was only in retrospect that it was obvious how bad it was as a tutorial.

It was definitely dumb that the scenario is completely different in the actual game, though. Helena being hurt could have been an additional plot point or at least a point of tension but they squandered that for some reason.

Nemesis_

Maybe it was meant to be a dumb twist. That wasn't really a twist at all.

People instead just thought "wtf, that was dumb"

I still don't understand why they did things that way.

Neiteio

Yeah, I actually really liked the Prelude and was laughing out loud at the delightful absurdity of some of its wilder moments. It just fails insofar as teaching the new mechanics. It only reviews basics like "move the right analog to move the camera," "hold L1 then tap R1 to shoot," etc. It should've focused on sliding, turning while sliding, dodging, rolling, countering, quick shot, insta-mixing herbs, etc. Also, the game teaching you how to paint targets for your AI partner to prioritize by aiming at an enemy and tapping Circle would've been useful for the start of Chris Chapter 2.

Nemesis_

Also, the game teaching you how to paint targets for your AI partner to prioritize by aiming at an enemy and tapping Circle would've been useful for the start of Chris Chapter 2.

60+ hours in and I still didn't know this

FUFUUFUFUFUFUFUF

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah, I actually really liked the Prelude and was laughing out loud at the delightful absurdity of some of its wilder moments. It just fails insofar as teaching the new mechanics. It only reviews basics like "move the right analog to move the camera," "hold L1 then tap R1 to shoot," etc. It should've focused on sliding, turning while sliding, dodging, rolling, countering, quick shot, insta-mixing herbs, etc. Also, the game teaching you how to paint targets for your AI partner to prioritize by aiming at an enemy and tapping Circle would've been useful for the start of Chris Chapter 2.

Is that how you do that? Fuck.

Playing mercenaries I just cant get over how disappointing the costumes are.
STARS Chris & Wesker and Tribal Sheva are better than all of 6's combined.
beside Sherry's

Oldschool

How to insta-mix herbs? That will help a lot in mercenaries! :)

Neiteio

Interesting. I hope I dont use herbs accidentally while trying to do this. :D
It only works when you're out of herbs. It takes whatever herbs you have in your inventory and instantly mixes them and loads them in your case as pills. Just hit R2 + Square when you're out of pills (only works if you have herbs, of course).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Interesting. I hope I dont use herbs accidentally while trying to do this. :D

You will. Afaik you can only automix when you're pill box is empty. Otherwise you use them. That's been my experience anyway.

Neiteio

You will. Afaik you can only automix when you're pill box is empty. Otherwise you use them. That's been my experience anyway.
But it's not an issue because you wouldn't find yourself needing to automix if you had pills ready to go already anyway. :)

Insta-mixing/loading herbs with R2+Square, painting targets for your AI partner to prioritize with L1+Circle, and taking cover to rapidly restore your stamina meter (as well as sliding into cover) are three really useful tricks the game should've taken the time to teach the player.

Nemesis_

It only works when you're out of herbs. It takes whatever herbs you have in your inventory and instantly mixes them and loads them in your case as pills. Just hit R2 + Square when you're out of pills (only works if you have herbs, of course).

It's RB and X on the 360.

Ahh, right. I'll use them for my next Mercs run

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Nope, you can use it if you have green and red herbs and your pill box isn't empty. It will only mix your green and red herbs, but won't mix green and green herbs together.

Not sure if it will mix green herbs for you if you have no pills though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
ilnad, stop trying to fight the good fight in that other thread.

They won't listen ;_;

Haha yeah I should just give it a rest. It's getting on my nerves how this game is getting such a bad rap though, it's honestly one of the most fun experiences I have had gaming this gen.

Also I just have to note that RE6 has some of the best cutscenes in the damn industry. The facial animations, action scenes, and general graphical fidelity of the cutscenes is out of this world. Someone mentioned the sweat and dirt that accumulates on characters' faces as the game goes on too, it looks so freaking realistic. I love it.

Neiteio

RE6 probably does a better job than most of showing the main characters actually concerned about one another. The looks Jake and Sherry share at the end of Jake Chapter 4 speak volumes and are just one example. Others include Chris and Piers, or Sherry and Leon (Ch. 4 crossover), and then there's their relations to side characters, like Helena and Deborah, or Chris and Piers. Some good emotions on show here.

Haha yeah I should just give it a rest. It's getting on my nerves how this game is getting such a bad rap though, it's honestly one of the most fun experiences I have had gaming this gen.

Also I just have to note that RE6 has some of the best cutscenes in the damn industry. The facial animations, action scenes, and general graphical fidelity of the cutscenes is out of this world. Someone mentioned the sweat and dirt that accumulates on characters' faces as the game goes on too, it looks so freaking realistic. I love it.

That's what I think... I mean LA Noire was nothing special TBH. Resident Evil 5 had the best graphics IMO and the facial animations during cutscenes were brilliant.

Also
last boss fight for Jake (the fist fight)
was so fucking awesome. It was so hilariously awesome. Great way to end that shit. Although I was hoping to see
Jake/Sherry have sex or get married or some shit
. Can't wait to try out
Ada's
campaign!

Alfredo

Is there a list anywhere of all the load screen tips the game gives you? The game loads too fast for me to read them! And it seems like that's the only place it tells you how to play the game.

Why the hell didn't this game come with at least an instruction manual?

Thanks ilnadmy and GeekyDad.

The prelude was clearly intended to be a tutorial while at the same time ripping off the in medias res intro of Uncharted 2. Unfortunately, it taught only the most basic things, and also how to read their ubiquitous QTE prompts. I actually didn't hate it as much as some people because I could appreciate how they were making use of it. It was only in retrospect that it was obvious how bad it was as a tutorial.

It was definitely dumb that the scenario is completely different in the actual game, though. Helena being hurt could have been an additional plot point or at least a point of tension but they squandered that for some reason.

So, is the prelude not actually canon? Leon helping Helena showed their bond as partners, so I'd like to think that that part actually happened. But other stuff, like
the helicopter being portrayed as an enemy, and Simmons' leg being in Dino mode already
only serve to mislead you.

Xevren

An easy way to quick mix herbs without using one accidentally is to aim your gun and hold Rb, let go of aiming and then push X. Works every time.

nOoblet16

Fuckin' LOL at playing as Helena for the very last part of Chapter 5.

All you do is stand and shoot at shit for nothing. Seems like Capcom forgot about her between Leon and Ada's love story lol

Contrast this to playing as Piers for Chris' Chapter 5 which was just awesome. Yep Chris' campaign is definitely my favorite while Jake's campaign is most interesting among the main ones.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fuckin' LOL at playing as Helena for the very last part of Chapter 5.

All you do is stand and shoot at shit for nothing. Seems like Capcom forgot about her between Leon and Ada's love story lol

Contrast this to playing as Piers for Chris' Chapter 5 which was just awesome. Yep Chris' campaign is definitely my favorite while Jake's campaign is most interesting among the main ones.
Amazing how divisive the game can be.

I'm still enjoying all of it, but I'm finding Chris's campaign to be less interesting overall than Leon's.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
RE6 probably does a better job than most of showing the main characters actually concerned about one another. The looks Jake and Sherry share at the end of Jake Chapter 4 speak volumes and are just one example. Others include Chris and Piers, or Sherry and Leon (Ch. 4 crossover), and then there's their relations to side characters, like Helena and Deborah, or Chris and Piers. Some good emotions on show here.

I noticed this right from the start. It helps that facial animation, and especially the dialog writing, comes across as much more natural and human than any previous RE. Or in fact maybe any other Capcom game.

Something at least, really leveled up during the production of this game inside Capcom. In fact, I would dare to say the quality of facial emotions and writing for scenes like that is better than in most modern games, east or west.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I noticed this right from the start. It helps that facial animation, and especially the dialog writing, comes across as much more natural and human than any previous RE. Or in fact maybe any other Capcom game.

Something at least, really leveled up during the production of this game inside Capcom. In fact, I would dare to say the quality of facial emotions and writing for scenes like that is better than in most modern games, east or west.

These fake characters emote more than Milla Jovovich did in all the RE movie combined.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I wonder why infinite ammo doesnt work for my split screen parner.
is it because P2 doesnt get benefits from skills or is it because handgun infinite ammo doesnt work for USP45
Edit: Ops, I meant UMP45

Really is well done overall between quality animation and voice-acting. All the emotions Chris goes through on the way to his
rehabilitation
, Jake and Sherry actually have chemistry (including non-verbal cues such as when Sherry
shoves aside Jake's hand as emphasis that he must respect Leon
), and simple looks such as how Ada
looks so wistful toward Leon in the end
and seen from the other side how he actually
ends with an appropriately frustrated frown/shake of his head as she runs off again
. Good stuff.

Spazznid

Really is well done overall between quality animation and voice-acting. All the emotions Chris goes through on the way to his
rehabilitation
, Jake and Sherry actually have chemistry (including non-verbal cues such as when Sherry
shoves aside Jake's hand as emphasis that he must respect Leon
), and simple looks such as how Ada
looks so wistful toward Leon in the end
and seen from the other side how he actually
ends with an appropriately frustrated frown/shake of his head as she runs off again
. Good stuff.

CAPCPOM is pretty boss when it comes to RE cutscenes. RE5 had amazing facial animation and cinematic camerawork, I find it weird how the developers never made a short film/ series. Can't wait to double dip for the PC version.

T.O.P

Banned
Chris chapter 4 done, pretty adrenalinic and i always love the bit with
Rasklapanje

And mindblown when i aknowledged that i was actually in control of the
plane

Jake 4 later tonight, this game is much fun :D

Chris's dub is awesome btw, who's behind him?

I just want to say that playing as melee Jake in Mercenaries is amazing. Charging towards an enemy, dodging left and right while they're firing magnum or sniper bullets at you and then finally palm striking them is so satisfying.

Chris chapter 4 done, pretty adrenalinic and i always love the bit with
Rasklapanje

And mindblown when i aknowledged that i was actually in control of the
plane

Jake 4 later tonight, this game is much fun :D

Chris's dub is awesome btw, who's behind him?
english?
Roger Craig Smith also voiced Ezio in Assassin's Creed

Top Bottom