• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

T.O.P

Banned
english?
Roger Craig Smith also voiced Ezio

yeah i had the system setted on Italian without knowing and the dub was one of the worst i've ever heard, i changed the settings without even finishing the prologue lol

oh, he's really good, especially whe he goes mad, i seriously love his voice

Lucent

What kind of scores are people getting in solo Mercenaries? It seem really hard to even kill all 150 enemies alone because I either lack the firepower or ammo by the time the special units come out.

Best I can do is about 157k on Urban Chaos which is kind of embarrassing. u.u

Also dogs are annoying.

157k is embarassing? Now I'm gonna go cry about my 122k. ;_;

yeah i had the system setted on Italian without knowing and the dub was one of the worst i've ever heard, i changed the settings without even finishing the prologue lol

oh, he's really good, especially whe he goes mad, i seriously love his voice
Lol I will flip past 'Say yes to the dress' on tv and sit and listen for a minute to hear 'Chris Redfields' narration of women picking their wedding dresses.
its hilarious.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
english?
Roger Craig Smith also voiced Ezio in Assassin's Creed

Yeah man his Chris is effing boss. Such great voice acting, he really makes the character. His acting is top notch throughout the entire game, especially in the scenes where (Chris 4 spoiler)
he faces off against Leon
and (Chris 5 spoiler)
the ending when he's thrown into the pod.

I'm confused how a game with Capcom's resources and the Resident Evil franchise name can turn out so mediocre. Im sure a lot of game producers know their game is crap simply because they aren't given the resources to build a quality game. Either not enough money for development, artists, time, whatever. But this is Capcom so I don't see that as being an issue. Do these producers see their product and say "Yeah, this is it. We really nailed a great experience." and get the surprise of their life when the reviews come in?

frequency

I really really really enjoy this game.
I have been playing co-op with Gravijah. We are on Leon Chapter 3.

I do not play many shooter games and I do not play horror games. So I understand I may be kinder to this than many who do play shooter games and horror games or are familiar with the series. I am not a Resident Evil fan. I think this is my first game in the series.

There are some problems I have with the game such as:
  • Inventory is annoying. I have 5 or 6 guns and each take an inventory slot for bullets. Then there are 2 bomb types. And First Aid... There is no room to actually hold herbs. And the pill box is only 17 too. I hate inventory limits.
  • Enemies react too much. I read a lot of people complain about enemies not reacting... I do not understand at all. I think they react too much. I shoot a zombie head and 50% of the time it will grab its head, put it down, and turn around. So now I can only see their back and can not get another shot until the enemy gets back into normal position. Enemy heads are constantly moving all over the place and every time I shoot, it moves even more.
  • Enemies take too many bullets to kill. It is hard for me to shoot an enemy's head already but it takes sometimes 5 bullets to kill a regular looking zombie. If I shoot the stomach it takes even more.
  • I do not mind QTEs but some of them are too quick. It shows the button on the screen for less than a second and only right before you need to do it.
  • Online is kind of bad. I like playing it co-op but we keep getting "communication errors". After that we need to quit the game to start a new one together... but only after reaching a save or we will lose progress! It is really annoying. It is also very bad for me because Gravijah is a much better gamer than I am and I die lots alone. And I am afraid it will happen in a very scary area. I need another player with me to help me get through it.
  • I wish the dot would be removed in aiming. It is confusing to see it move around in the aiming area. Just have the aiming area like every other game. I understand from other games that my aiming is not 100% perfect to a dot spot and will be a random spot inside the aiming area. So remove that confusing dot.

I do not understand the complaints people have for this game.

I hear lots about bad camera but... the camera feels exactly the same as something like Uncharted. And it feels better than most JRPGs I have played and most 3D platformers I have played.

I also hear lots about bad control but I think the controls feel very good. Dodging feels very good and staying on the ground by holding L1 to continue shooting is very cool and very useful. My character always does exactly what I want her to do. It feels excellent. It feels better than Uncharted for me.

And I hear lots about how the game is all QTEs. But it is not. QTE events are not that often and most of the time I do not even think about it. I never played RE4 but I look at videos (I know that is not as good but people are judging this based on videos) and the QTEs are no different from here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfYZgXho-hg
Yet RE4 is "a masterpiece" and "one of the best games ever made" but RE6 is unforgivable for having QTEs.

I just do not get it right now. I play this game and get a completely opposite reaction to all the complaints. I actually find a lot of the complaints false and it makes me question how many of these people actually ever played the game. I really really really enjoy this game even though I am not a shooter fan and have a hard time with horror. But maybe that is the reason why I enjoy this. Because I do not have much experience with genre to compare it to other games.

And maybe it all changes later in the game or in the other character stories and gets worse.

... and yes, I find this game generally scary and have been afraid a few times. I need to keep bright happy videos on my computer screen to turn to to "reset" my courage sometimes.

Note: I compare to Uncharted a few times because it is one of the few shooters I have actually played.

Yeah man his Chris is effing boss. Such great voice acting, he really makes the character. His acting is top notch throughout the entire game, especially in the scenes where (Chris 4 spoiler)
he faces off against Leon
and (Chris 5 spoiler)
the ending when he's thrown into the pod.
yeah I already liked him alot in 5 & Rev but he had more to work with in 6 imo.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Enemies react too much. I read a lot of people complain about enemies not reacting... I do not understand at all. I think they react too much. I shoot a zombie in the head and 50% of the time it will grab its head, put it down, and turn around. So now I can only see their back and can not get another shot until the enemy gets back into normal position. Enemy heads are constantly moving all over the place and every time I shoot, it moves even more.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, it really is an extremely fun game. As far as this point, you should really go in for the melee whenever you get the chance. Shoot the zombie in the head, or the arm, or the leg, and when it stumbles or is dazed run in and you'll get a button prompt (RT for 360, R1 for PS3), which will initiate a one-shot kill to the zombie/enemy.

Enemies take too many bullets to kill. It is hard for me to shoot an enemy's head already but it takes sometimes 5 bullets to kill a regular looking zombie. If I shoot the stomach it takes even more.

You really need to melee as much as you can. This is not a full-blown shooter, you need to combine shots to the head with contextual melee.

I wish the dot would be removed in aiming. It is confusing to see it move around in the aiming area. Just have the aiming area like every other game. I understand from other games that my aiming is not 100% perfect to a dot spot and will be a random spot inside the aiming area. So remove that confusing dot.

Do yourself a favor and switch to the laser sight in the options menu. The dot/crosshairs are completely useless.

And I agree with you that the critiques are overblown. The game has maybe 20 QTEs in each character's campaign, spread out over 8 hours. All these "OMG SO MANY QTE!!" complaints are ridiculous. And people who say the enemies don't react to your shots are blind because enemies react to EVERY SHOT you make.

Anyway keep on trucking, I think the game gets better once you hit the later stages.

elcapitan

The zombies don't really react (as in recoil or cover their face), but it's cool to shoot their limbs off. It's easier to blast off their heads since they don't stagger like the j'avo.

Alfredo

• Enemies react too much. I read a lot of people complain about enemies not reacting... I do not understand at all. I think they react too much. I shoot a zombie head and 50% of the time it will grab its head, put it down, and turn around.

This is when you run up to them and melee them. When an enemy is stunned, this opens them up to a contextual melee move, which will often kill them and knock any other enemies nearby to the ground. If it doesn't kill, it will knock them down, and then you can run up to their head and stomp on it for another contextual melee skill.

So if the enemy is grabbing their head, stumbling backwards, facing away from you, or kneeling on the ground, that's often your cue to melee them for easy fast kills.

Since RE4, the combat for the games have always been "stun enemy, melee them." This also solves the problem of running out of ammo since most of your kills will be coming from melee attacks.

I do not play many shooter games and I do not play horror games. So I understand I may be kinder to this than many who do play shooter games and horror games or are familiar with the series. I am not a Resident Evil fan. I think this is my first game in the series.

• Inventory is annoying. I have 5 or 6 guns and each take an inventory slot for bullets. Then there are 2 bomb types. And First Aid... There is no room to actually hold herbs. And the pill box is only 17 too. I hate inventory limits.
  • Enemies react too much. I read a lot of people complain about enemies not reacting... I do not understand at all. I think they react too much. I shoot a zombie head and 50% of the time it will grab its head, put it down, and turn around. So now I can only see their back and can not get another shot until the enemy gets back into normal position. Enemy heads are constantly moving all over the place and every time I shoot, it moves even more.
  • Enemies take too many bullets to kill. It is hard for me to shoot an enemy's head already but it takes sometimes 5 bullets to kill a regular looking zombie. If I shoot the stomach it takes even more.
  • I do not mind QTEs but some of them are too quick. It shows the button on the screen for less than a second and only right before you need to do it.
  • Online is kind of bad. I like playing it co-op but we keep getting "communication errors". After that we need to quit the game to start a new one together... but only after reaching a save or we will lose progress! It is really annoying. It is also very bad for me because Gravijah is a much better gamer than I am and I die lots alone. And I am afraid it will happen in a very scary area. I need another player with me to help me get through it.
  • I wish the dot would be removed in aiming. It is confusing to see it move around in the aiming area. Just have the aiming area like every other game. I understand from other games that my aiming is not 100% perfect to a dot spot and will be a random spot inside the aiming area. So remove that confusing dot.

I hear lots about bad camera but... the camera feels exactly the same as something like Uncharted. And it feels better than most JRPGs I have played and most 3D platformers I have played.

I also hear lots about bad control but I think the controls feel very good. Dodging feels very good and staying on the ground by holding L1 to continue shooting is very cool and very useful. My character always does exactly what I want her to do. It feels excellent. It feels better than Uncharted for me.

And I hear lots about how the game is all QTEs. But it is not. QTE events are not that often and most of the time I do not even think about it. I never played RE4 but I look at videos (I know that is not as good but people are judging this based on videos) and the QTEs are no different from here.
Yet RE4 is "a masterpiece" and "one of the best games ever made" but RE6 is unforgivable for having QTEs.

I just do not get it right now. I play this game and get a completely opposite reaction to all the complaints. I actually find a lot of the complaints false and it makes me question how many of these people actually ever played the game. I really really really enjoy this game even though I am not a shooter fan and have a hard time with horror. But maybe that is the reason why I enjoy this. Because I do not have much experience with genre to compare it to other games.

And maybe it all changes later in the game or in the other character stories and gets worse.

... and yes, I find this game generally scary and have been afraid a few times. I need to keep bright happy videos on my computer screen to turn to to "reset" my courage sometimes.

Note: I compare to Uncharted a few times because it is one of the few shooters I have actually played.

I don't think QTE are that large in number (they definetly are by most standards) but they're presented in such sloppy way and are so intrusive and annoying that they definetly leaves a bad aftertaste. Can't be compared to RE4 which they weren't all that great but they never felt annoying or a problem itself.

And the camera dosn't feel like Uncharted, a look to any Uncharted screenshot and you can see how much zoomed out is compared to RE6 and with a much better FOV.

RE4 and God of War pretty much kicked the QTE thing into gear leading into this generation, so of course it wasn't picked apart like what's happening with RE6. That game came out in 2005. 7 years of more and more QTEs infecting the industry will do that to people.

And RE4 isn't a masterpiece because of its use of QTEs. Do yourself a favor and play it.

Hela

So, the Chris-hostages situation in chapter 1 was pretty dumb, I'd even say comical.
I shot the first centipede guy right through the hostage with a shotgun, the guy exploded, the hostage was magically fine, but showed up not in the spot where I killed his captor.
Also at the last hostage the QTE with the guy falling through the roof triggered while I had no ammo in my clip and Chris didn't reload fast enough in slow-mo and I got a game over screen, so that was great.

frequency

*more advice*
Thank you very much for the advice. I will try more melee and will try laser aiming.

And the camera dosn't feel like Uncharted, a look to any Uncharted screenshot and you can see how much zoomed out is compared to RE6 and with a much better FOV.
Oh that is some thing maybe more technical than I am familiar. For me camera control feel same in both game. I guess it is some thing I just can not understand. I am stupid in such way (same I can not see difference 30 fps and 60 fps).

RE4 and God of War pretty much kicked the QTE thing into gear leading into this generation, so of course it wasn't picked apart like what's happening with RE6. That game came out in 2005. 7 years of more and more QTEs infecting the industry will do that to people.

And RE4 isn't a masterpiece because of its use of QTEs. Do yourself a favor and play it.
I am not saying QTE is make RE4 masterpiece or that RE6 is better or such claim. I can not make it because never played RE4. Only I never hear complain of it but QTE is one of major complain in RE6.

I do not mind QTE maybe because is rare in games I play. Maybe I am more accepting of it in RE6 because I do not know difference of good and bad QTE.

But maybe I will try RE4 one day. I have RE6 Anthology (because of deal only pay $39.99) and it include RE4.

I am not doubt RE4 is great game. Only confused of QTE complain but what you say makes sense. People who play a lot of these games and have years and years of QTE maybe are sick of it.

olimpia84

Just got done with Chris' campaign. Annoying final boss, camera problems galore in the earlier chapters, insulting level design in chapter 5...yep, I can safely say this is my least favorite RE in the series.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will try more melee.

Oh that is some thing maybe more technical than I am familiar. For me camera control feel same in both game. I guess it is some thing I just can not understand. I am stupid in such way (same I can not see difference 30 fps and 60 fps).

They control the same way, you're right about that. The camera concerns comes from the fact it gives you way less vision of your surroundings than any other shooter game out there.

uncharted2-3feuir.jpg

qr4Pm.jpg

Look how much screen space takes the RE6 character and how minimal is the vision angle that limits greatly your perception of surroundings.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that the character takes up much more screen space in RE6 but towards the end of the game I got used to it and started enjoying it, which was surprising since the game gave me a headache when I first started playing it.

def sim

It doesn't make me nauseous anymore, but it's still bad. It's not something people should be made to get used to; seeing less in a shooter because ??? is silly.

T.O.P

Banned
I agree that the character takes up much more screen space in RE6 but towards the end of the game I got used to it and started enjoying it, which was surprising since the game gave me a headache when I first started playing it.

yeah, i bailed out of the demo (Chris) in like two minutes, it felt awful

then it just grows on you, the difference between the first few minutes and a couple of hours is huge

You're lucky then, because no matter how much I play the camera is always a problem for me, not as much as I started playing, but that's because human beings can get accostumed to horrible things.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I went from hating the camera view to really enjoying it... love the character models and baller walk animations and combat moves.

Actually the few times during the game it pulled back, I was glad it was only temporary.

def sim

You're lucky then, because no matter how much I play the camera is always a problem for me, not as much as I started playing, but that's because human beings can get accostumed to horrible things.

I think what people fail to understand is that you can have the character model still be a prominent part of the screen without sacrificing the FOV. Seeing people defend it sure is a little funny. Though, I agree, people are simply getting used to the nonsense.

EekTheKat

Generally, the guns in Resident Evil 5 and 6 work differently than weapons in your conventional shooter. Most primary weapons are actually designed to stagger/cause a stun instead of a one shot kill.

There are one shot kill weapons in the game, or just much stronger guns, and they're very specific about what they are. If you're looking for a one shot/one kill weapon either use a different gun or buy/use the skill (which makes a pretty big difference in how guns react).

Follow the double tap rule. Two shots to a specific body location generally creates the stun effect that many people think isn't there in RE6.

[*] Enemies react too much. I read a lot of people complain about enemies not reacting... I do not understand at all. I think they react too much. I shoot a zombie head and 50% of the time it will grab its head, put it down, and turn around. So now I can only see their back and can not get another shot until the enemy gets back into normal position. Enemy heads are constantly moving all over the place and every time I shoot, it moves even more.

The enemy spin so they turn away from you is intentional and by design. It's a gameplay addition letting you set up the enemies for a clean melee kill.

Shooting them in the shoulder will generate this effect.

I think what people fail to understand is that you can have the character model still be a prominent part of the screen without sacrificing the FOV. I agree, though, people are simply getting used to the nonsense.

Yeah, I can live with the character getting so much screen, the problem is the FOV is really low. I don't think a game made me move the camera so much as RE6 does.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit I didn't think anything of the close camera, in spite of the tendency of modern games to pull he camera back more.

I guess I'm used to thinking of it in terms of RE4... Capcom's logic since that game has always seemed to be that the player should feel a bit paranoid about what's around them and being sneaked up on.

frequency

They control the same way, you're right about that. The camera concerns comes from the fact it gives you way less vision of your surroundings than any other shooter game out there.

http://www.abload.de/img/uncharted2-3feuir.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qr4Pm.jpg

Look how much screen space takes the RE6 character and how minimal is the vision angle that limits greatly your perception of surroundings.

Thank you for explain and example.
I now can understand why people complain of camera and QTE.

I am lucky it is not bothering me so I can enjoy game.

Generally, the guns in Resident Evil 5 and 6 work differently than weapons in your conventional shooter. Most primary weapons are actually designed to stagger/cause a stun instead of a one shot kill.

There are one shot kill weapons in the game, or just much stronger guns, and they're very specific about what they are. If you're looking for a one shot/one kill weapon either use a different gun or buy/use the skill (which makes a pretty big difference in how guns react).

Follow the double tap rule. Two shots to a specific body location generally creates the stun effect that many people think isn't there in RE6.

The enemy spin so they turn away from you is intentional and by design. It's a gameplay addition letting you set up the enemies for a clean melee kill.

Shooting them in the shoulder will generate this effect.

Thank you. I was playing game wrong! I will consider this and other melee advice above for next time I play. Maybe I will enjoy game even more now that I know this.

Carbonox

Getting proper fucking annoyed at the last boss on Leon's campaign. For some reason I dealt with it perfectly fine on Normal but not on Veteran. It's not taking damage that's the problem, it's
Once I blow up his head (prior to that I'm fucking 1000000000% sure I've killed all the zombies), he magically regrows it again by absorbing a whole bunch of zombies that magically respawned. 3 fucking times during the fight this happens. Extremely irritated.

Am I supposed to just keep going until it ends?

def sim

I have to admit I didn't think anything of the close camera, in spite of the tendency of modern games to pull he camera back more.

I guess I'm used to thinking of it in terms of RE4... Capcom's logic since that game has always seemed to be that the player should feel a bit paranoid about what's around them and being sneaked up on.

RE4's FOV isn't so limiting as in this game.

I get your point, but RE6 is pushing it too much. They might as well start covering the camera sporadically and create monster closets on the fly.

Iresecia

Neo Member
Probably about to start my Chris pro/emblem run. Anyone else need a pro buddy on PS3? I'm playing as Piers. PSN is poisonedsodapop, drop me a message if you're interested.

Not even RE4 does it to the extent of RE6, RE4 FOV and camera distance is much better.

Getting proper fucking annoyed at the last boss on Leon's campaign. For some reason I dealt with it perfectly fine on Normal but not on Veteran. It's not taking damage that's the problem, it's
Once I blow up his head (prior to that I'm fucking 1000000000% sure I've killed all the zombies), he magically regrows it again by absorbing a whole bunch of zombies that magically respawned. 3 fucking times during the fight this happens. Extremely irritated.

Happened the same to me, you have to do with the head the same you did before, that is impaling another zombie with the electrical rod, he will try to "eat" the zombie and then...., but I think that for some reason the rod was missing on my first try.

Wait, what? Sounds like you don't understand how you beat the boss the first time.

He will regerate his head every time. You need to stick the lightning rod in a zombie before sticking an incendiary grenade in the boss's head, that way his head will get struck by lightning after he regenerates and you can go to the heli

Iresecia

Neo Member

If it's the boss where he looks like an insect you have to use that spike that's in the ground. Just keep picking it up and stabbing it through zombies.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Are you shoving the lightning rod into his head?

Wait, what? Sounds like you don't understand how you beat the boss the first time.

He will regerate his head every time. You need to stick the lightning rod in a zombie before sticking an incendiary grenade in the boss's head, that way his head will get struck by lightning after he regenerates and you can go to the heli

Or you can just
shove the lightning rod straight into his head.
Awesome animation on that too.

Carbonox

My memory's so bad, I can't remember what I did when I faced the boss on Normal. :lol :lol Most likely made sense to me then but not now for some odd reason.

Thanks anyway!

Grisby

The camera seems off in 6. I do like how RE has always had the character be a larger part of the screen though. I'm not taking hogging up the whole damn thing but it gives the character more presence I guess.

Iresecia

Neo Member
The camera seems off in 6. I do like how RE has always had the character be a larger part of the screen though. I'm not taking hogging up the whole damn thing but it gives the character more presence I guess.
I think my memory is just off of past camera angles in the series cause RE6's camera doesn't bother me. I think cause also I listen for the sounds of zombies/j'avo and look to see if my character is looking over their shoulder at an enemy. I think my many years of MGO forever ruined how I play all games lol.

Noi

Finally home, time for more RE6.

Anyone wanna go through Chris' campaign on Professional right now? It's the only campaign I'm missing on Pro now, though I'd like to be Piers since I haven't done his side yet.

Edit: On PS3, forgot to mention.

EekTheKat

Thank you for explain and example.
I now can understand why people complain of camera and QTE.

I am lucky it is not bothering me so I can enjoy game.

Thank you. I was playing game wrong! I will consider this and other melee advice above for next time I play. Maybe I will enjoy game even more now that I know this.

I wouldn't say you're playing it wrong. It's entirely possible to play RE5/6 as a conventional 3rd person shooter. Though I'd highly suggest playing with a friend if you're planning to play it that way since you will most likely not have a lot of fun playing it as a pure shooter.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I just realized Piers/Chris don't get magnums unless I missed it. Woops. Welp, no unlimited ammo for me. Time to change my loadout for pro then.

ironcreed

Banned

I honestly think the camera would not be a bother if it was still where you could not move and shoot. But beings they went this route instead, they should have pulled the camera back more because it's faster and you are always on the move. The way they kept the camera close just makes it clash. The close up camera works fine when the gameplay is slower, more methodical and you have to stop to attack. With that, I think RE5 has the best controls of the series. It plays like RE still and the camera is more free to rotate than it was in RE4.

Neiteio

Bingo. The close camera is to keep you on edge. You're not supposed to have a full view of your surroundings at all times. Enemies can sneak up on you from halfway across the map in RE6, which coupled with the close cam has you constantly panning your surroundings watching for threats. :)

I honestly think the camera would not be a bother if it was still where you could not move and shoot. But beings they went this route instead, they should have pulled the camera back more because it's faster and you are always on the move. The way they kept the camera close just makes it clash. The close up camera works fine when the gameplay is slower, more methodical and you have to stop to attack. With that, I think RE5 has the best controls of the series. It plays like RE still and the camera is more free to rotate than it was in RE4.

The problem is that the camera wasn't even this tight in the games where you couldn't move and shoot. Plus RE6 is barley even an "over the shoulder" cam, it's more behind the shoulder and level height with the sights on your weapon. The aim camera in RE4 was higher in comparison, and sometimes pushed Leon's body almost completely out of the frame to give you a better angle. It's just a weird camera, period. You might be able to get used to it, but in no way is it good.

Ehh, maybe not "in no way." It's fine to build tension, but it should be wider and higher during high intensity moments.

ironcreed

Banned
The problem is that the camera wasn't even this tight in the games where you couldn't move and shoot. Plus RE6 is barley even an "over the shoulder" cam, it's more behind the shoulder and level height with the sights on your weapon. The aim camera in RE4 was higher in comparison, and sometimes pushed Leon's body almost completely out of the frame to give you a better angle. It's just a weird camera, period. You might be able to get used to it, but in no way is it good.

Ehh, maybe not "in no way." It's fine to build tension, but it should be wider and higher during high intensity moments.

I am still very used to it and especially like the way it was handled in RE5. Feels like RE4, but you can freely rotate the camera. You have to pick your spots and manage your inventory while attacking, and while limited, it just feels great and can have you on the edge of your seat. That was just a signature feel for RE and that is what I personally prefer. But hey, everyone has their preference.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, Chris chapter 3 was fantastic!

Yeah, lots of over the top "Uncharted" moments, but it was still a blast to play.

Top Bottom