• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

News Bot

Banned
Storywise does this have ANY ties to the other games at all...or is it completely it's own thing?

I know they kind of severed the continuous stoyline at Resdient Evil 4, but tried to make some connections in 5...lol

It has tons of ties and continues a few lesser known plot points from previous games.

jorgeton

Completed Chris' campaign. That final chapter.. damn. One of the game's highlights for sure. Now onto the hidden chapter.. and then to finally check out Mercenaries.

Xpliskin

After having played the 3 campaigns both solo and co-op, I have to say, this is the worst mainline resident evil entry that has hit store shelves.

They need to fire their game design and level design teams, what the fuck is this shit ?
The rest is beyond AAA.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
After having played the 3 campaigns both solo and co-op, I have to say, this is the worst mainline resident evil entry that has hit store shelves.

They need to fire their game design and level design teams, what the fuck is this shit ?
The rest is beyond AAA.

Lol it's actually my favorite entry in the series (and I've played them all except code veronica). It's no longer survival horror but who cares, it's tons of fun!

VALKYRAY

Banned
That's why I love her so! A quick question though -
so Carla knew she was Carla but was pretending to be Ada? Or did she start off pretending to be Ada and then slowly start believing her own lies?

ALSO

ffa5H.png

FEED ME MORE now, CAPCOCPOCOM

for real? how did you farm all that points to unlock all the skills? how does weapon kills in mercenaries count towards unlocking weapon master skills? (ex: 800 kills with grenades)

The thing I miss most from RE4 and RE5 even is the enemy mob. I loved the feeling of just a mob of crazies are after me with pitch forks and knives. These enemies have pretty cool looking design's and tasnformations that would translate very well in a more RE4/5 style game, coupled in with the China setting. That feeling of being outnumbered and overwhelmed is just not here, not even in Leons game.

Neiteio

I'm not sure where I'd rank RE6 in the series yet, but it's definitely near the top. RE4 probably will forever remain king on the strength of its pacing, though I fear its combat might be a bit dated now that I'm used to sliding, rolling, dodging, countering, etc, in RE6. Revelations, while probably having more limited combat than either of those two, is also a strong contender on the strength of its thematic cohesiveness -- the episodic structure and the Dante's Inferno/maritime themes really struck a chord with me. But I really dig RE6's multiple storylines, dark atmosphere and character drama, as well as the sheer variety of enemies and setpieces, and the greatly expanded combat/mobility options. :)

Replicant

That battle on the rooftop on Chris Chapter 1 remains my favorite shootout. It's so much fun sliding in and out and shooting all of the barrel while sliding away from enemies. Even on Professional it doesn't frustrate me at all because it's so much fun to fight in such open space.

Neiteio

The thing I miss most from RE4 and RE5 even is the enemy mob. I loved the feeling of just a mob of crazies are after me with pitch forks and knives. These enemies have pretty cool looking design's and tasnformations that would translate very well in a more RE4/5 style game, coupled in with the China setting. That feeling of being outnumbered and overwhelmed is just not here, not even in Leons game.
Hmm, not sure how things panned out in your playthrough, but I frequently felt mobbed in RE6, like the swarm tactics in front of the cathedral and in the gunshop. :)

The_Monk

My fellow GAFfers I am happy to inform that I managed to get the RE6 Steelbook edition and it will arrive in two days.

After playing all the demo in Co-op I was going to get it Day one but then my Store did not got a single Copy of RE6 Steelbook edition so I was going to wait.

Well, no more. Just glad for getting it and decided to share.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My fellow GAFfers I am happy to inform that I managed to get the RE6 Steelbook edition and it will arrive in two days.

After playing all the demo in Co-op I was going to get it Day one but then my Store did not got a single Copy of RE6 Steelbook edition so I was going to wait.

Congrats! I suggest staying out of this thread because it is spoiler central.

VALKYRAY

Banned

congrats and enjoy the ride!

jorgeton

Hmm, not sure how things panned out in your playthrough, but I frequently felt mobbed in RE6, like the swarm tactics in front of the cathedral and in the gunshop. :)

Ditto. Leon's chapter for sure had tons of enemies coming after me. Same the 2nd half of Chris' campaign. It felt like the enemies re-spawned.. until I killed them all and realized, no they're not respawning, there are just a metric ton of baddies being thrown at you.

Neiteio

Ditto. Leon's chapter for sure had tons of enemies coming after me. Same the 2nd half of Chris' campaign. It felt like the enemies re-spawned.. until I killed them all and realized, no they're not respawning, there are just a metric ton of baddies being thrown at you.
Some areas do seem to have infinite spawns, though. Granted, it's only like two enemies at a time, so it's not a problem. I believe this is to support Agent Hunt in some areas, where other players can invade your game as a monster (if you allow them). :)

jorgeton

Some areas do seem to have infinite spawns, though. Granted, it's only like two enemies at a time, so it's not a problem. I believe this is to support Agent Hunt in some areas, where other players can invade your game as a monster (if you allow them). :)

Ahh, I can think of a couple of spots in Jake's chapter where that is def. the case. But in Chris' there are parts where it seems like there are endless respawns, but after I blasted a bunch of them away, they stopped coming at me. Maybe they got scurred?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I definitely prefer RE6 to 5 and would likely hold it in the upper echelon of RE. I still am not fully on board with everything they did but the game itself is more than worth it to me. Biggest gripe is the skill system, which I don't think is very well made. Stuff costs WAY too much and having countless skill pickups doesn't do much for me.

Neiteio

Ahh, I can think of a couple of spots in Jake's chapter where that is def. the case. But in Chris' there are parts where it seems like there are endless respawns, but after I blasted a bunch of them away, they stopped coming at me. Maybe they got scurred?
LOL, maybe! There are definitely parts where the game even notes how there are limited enemies remaining, tagging them with red symbols to help you find them faster. :)

Never felt that sense of being swarmed like RE4 and RE5 with blood thirsty enemies trying to rip your head off. This game felt much more like your Gears of War style TPS where enemies mostly just shoot you from a distance with maybe a handful sneaking up on you, attacking with knives.

Neiteio

Never felt that sense of being swarmed like RE4 and RE5 with blood thirsty enemies trying to rip your head off. This game felt much more like your Gears of War style TPS where enemies mostly just shoot you from a distance with maybe a handful sneaking up on you, attacking with knives.
I definitely felt swarmed in Leon's chapter. I think that generally speaking, though, the new mechanics allow you to zone yourself more in this game. Maybe that's why? :)

Iresecia

Neo Member
for real? how did you farm all that points to unlock all the skills? how does weapon kills in mercenaries count towards unlocking weapon master skills? (ex: 800 kills with grenades)
Well I can't tell you how he did it but I played a ton of mercs. You get tons of skillpoints in a short amount of time, granted you don't die. I'm not sure if weapon kills count in mercs though so I can't answer that one. All I have is the magnum one but I played through two pro campaigns with just magnum pretty much.

So far I'd say I like RE6 about the same as RE5. They're rather different experiences with their own unique flaws but I've gotten pretty much the same amount of enjoyment from each.

I just wish they didn't cheap out and ship Mercs with only 3 maps. Should have been a minimum of 5 maps.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I might have found a really powerful bug in mercs...

Unlimited grenade launcher rounds.

Using
Carla
... if you don't ever reload the GL, just switch ammo types, it seems like you have infinite rounds of each type as long as you never reload.

I only tried this on PA in solo... and only once... but uh it worked until I tried to reload.

edit: OK now I can't seem to replicate it... something is weird.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I might have found a really powerful bug in mercs...

Unlimited grenade launcher rounds.

Using
Carla
... if you don't ever reload the GL, just switch ammo types, it seems like you have infinite rounds of each type as long as you never reload.

I only tried this on PA in solo... and only once... but uh it worked until I tried to reload.

Whoah. That could be cool.

SpokkX

Lol it's actually my favorite entry in the series (and I've played them all except code veronica). It's no longer survival horror but who cares, it's tons of fun!

..favorite?
I swear you can find someone who claims whatever is the latest entry in a series is the best

You thought dmc2 was way better than dmc1 also right? Deus ex invisible war way better than deus ex?

Same principle applies if someone says this is the best RE. Objectively it IS NOT.

Sojgat

I definitely prefer RE6 to 5 and would likely hold it in the upper echelon of RE. I still am not fully on board with everything they did but the game itself is more than worth it to me. Biggest gripe is the skill system, which I don't think is very well made. Stuff costs WAY too much and having countless skill pickups doesn't do much for me.

I agree, by the time most people are able to use The skills system as intended, they will have completed the game. Swapping between skills sets is really useful while playing the campaign, but for most of my first playthrough I was just upgrading the same 3 skills. Playing a ton of Mercs first will give people easy points, but not many will do that before playing the story.

Edit:

I don't know is anyone is interested, but I have created a handy PDF file for RE6 Advanced Controls from the controls guides Neiteio complied for his thread.

You can grab it here in US superior Letter format:
http://issuu.com/gtsurgeons/docs/resident_evil_6_advanced_controls_guide_

I will gladly reformat it for either PS3/Xbox360 box-size if you will be so kind to provide me with accurate dimensions of the manuals (in mm if possible).

Preview:

Just noticed this, great job:)

Evolved1

..favorite?
I swear you can find someone who claims whatever is the latest entry in a series is the best

You thought dmc2 was way better than dmc1 also right? Deus ex invisible war way better than deus ex?

Same principle applies if someone says this is the best RE. Objectively it IS NOT.

Don't be a fucking douche.

Moze

Banned
im definitely on the side that says its a good game. that being said i dont think it is better than RE5, RE5 mastered the RE gameplay imo. some people may not like the environments and such but as far as gameplay mechanics go RE5>>>

something (some people may call it a improvement) i dont like about RE6 is the melee. i dont like how the melee is so accessible and easy. in RE4/5 melee was used as a powerful finishing move after you dazed an enemy and it was so satisfying doing it. in RE6 you can just stumble around picking fist fights with zombies like some drunk lunatic.

also tank controls>>>>

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
..favorite?

I think it's way too early to make a call on how RE6 fits into the series as a whole for many of us, but to suggest that it is objectively impossible for it to be ones favorite is off base.

In the end, this is very likely to end up as one of my favorites in the series. RE4 is definitely the best of the best, but I like RE6 more than RE5 while I dislike most of the rest of the series.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
..favorite?

Oh shut the hell up. People have different opinions, deal with it. Or just stay at home and avoid the big, scary world outside.

something (some people may call it a improvement) i dont like about RE6 is the melee. i dont like how the melee is so accessible and easy. in RE4/5 melee was used as a powerful finishing move after you dazed an enemy and it was so satisfying doing it. in RE6 you can just stumble around picking fist fights with zombies like some drunk lunatic.

Except it's not. Overuse melee and you run out of stamina and then you can't protect yourself in close quarters. I'm a lot more careful about running in to melee in RE6, whereas in RE5 my entire combat strategy was putting a bullet into a majini's leg and then running into a mob for a melee attack. It was very effective, and it could be used all the time.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT95XCtDAZs - Duo in High Seas. 150 combo. It's got commentary which is a little bit messy (there were 2 other guys in the skype call too who were in their own session playing Jake campaign).

I was thinking of posting this is in the other thread too, but it's not actually that good of an example of how to use the various mechanics in the game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
..favorite?

You realize that someone saying this is their favorite entry is making a SUBJECTIVE comment, that is, their opinion. You cannot be OBJECTIVE when giving an opinion. Your statement that RE6 IS NOT the best RE is an OPINION. There is nothing objective about it. Is English not your first language?

Nemesis_

Nothing was farmed here - just played a shit tonne of mercs in the past few days. If you do well in Mercs, the points come naturally.

joe2187

Banned
The only thing I miss from the old RE games is the puzzles, the complex convoluted awesome puzzles. That's what I loved about Code Veronica the most.

Evolved1

man today as been terrible for me on mercs. headless zombies grabbing me, bloodshots taking 3 magnum shots.
pretty sure its not my connection.

Yeah... it's lag. I played with some guy... the lag was horrendous. We cleared the stage and even though the game was over there were still two zombies (that we killed) left strolling around.

At one point I was munched on by an army zed without a head. :/

Despite this... we still got a 150 combo (and a 145 combo because he started killing guys while I was collecting time) and S ranked all our games w/o getting killed.

But it was really sketchy. And when I joined his game he had 3 bars/low ping.

He sent me a message saying it's been bad like that all day in all the games he was in.

Nemesis_

Bloodshots are SOOOOOO risky.

I need to perfect the counter method before I even begin attempting it on a regular basis.

So far ill say I like the enemies, locations,bosses and unforced co op more than RE5, but I like RE5's game play more than 6. I prefer stop and shoot, inventory, level up system in 5. While RE4 is the supreme king and RE5 felt more tense. Am I really putting RE5 over? I still have a few more chapters left in the game.

Evolved1

Bloodshots are SOOOOOO risky.

I need to perfect the counter method before I even begin attempting it on a regular basis.

You want to get good at countering bloodshots? Practice on the dogs.

If you can counter dogs, you can counter anything.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You realize that someone saying this is their favorite entry is making a SUBJECTIVE comment, that is, their opinion. You cannot be OBJECTIVE when giving an opinion. Your statement that RE6 IS NOT the best RE is an OPINION. There is nothing objective about it. Is English not your first language?

If someone says "RE6 is my favorite RE" I'll think "hmm, not my choice but okay." If someone says "RE6 is the best RE" I'll think "someone is painfully wrong." Calling something the "best" is not the equivalent of saying "it's my favorite." "Best" suggests an objective property of the game and is therefore debatable using facts. "Favorite" is an opinion and cannot be wrong. Nobody challenges someone when they say something is their "favorite." It's when people mix up objective and subjective terminology that these dumb arguments break out.

And before anyone argues that "best" is also purely a matter of opinion, I'll point out that unless you believe that literally every game is equally good, it cannot be purely a matter of opinion.

Evolved1

If someone says "RE6 is my favorite RE" I'll think "hmm, not my choice but okay." If someone says "RE6 is the best RE" I'll think "someone is painfully wrong." Calling something the "best" is not the equivalent of saying "it's my favorite." "Best" suggests an objective property of the game and is therefore debatable using facts. "Favorite" is an opinion and cannot be wrong. Nobody challenges someone when they say something is their "favorite." It's when people mix up objective and subjective terminology that these dumb arguments break out.

And before anyone argues that "best" is also purely a matter of opinion, I'll point out that unless you believe that literally every game is equally good, it cannot be purely a matter of opinion.

Maybe from now on we should just end every post with "imo", but the internet has already had that conversation and determined it would be completely fucking retarded. So "imo" is assumed.

Catch up.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Just to be clear, the guy he quoted simply said it was his favorite RE, not that it was the best, and he went on his rave from there.

But.. games are entertainment. People are entertained by different things. Some people might think a game is absolute dog shit, some people might think that same game is amazing. I do believe all games are equal because they all have the equal opportunity of entertaining someone. Anyone. Even just one person. If one person thinks a game is good, it's good. Majority opinion can't completely diminish minority opinion. Majority opinion might have more logical reasons for thinking the way they do, but the minority only needs one logical reason to make their idea valid.

There is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to man made anything. OCARINA OF TIME IS DA GREATEST EVAR!! is an opinion that a majority holds. It's not based on any objective unit of measure. Who could create such a unit? Surely not humans, because they'd then be creating the method of measurement along with what is being measured. How is there any objectivity?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Maybe from now on we should just end every post with "imo", but the internet has already had that conversation and determined it would be completely fucking retarded. So "imo" is assumed.

Catch up.

That doesn't address my point which is that words have meaning. "Best" means something different from "favorite." The assumed IMO only makes sense if we're ONLY sharing opinions that have no relation to facts. That's not how discourse works, so there you go. Use the right words instead of assumptions and everyone will understand each other better.

branny

The only thing I miss from the old RE games is the puzzles, the complex convoluted awesome puzzles. That's what I loved about Code Veronica the most.
Hmm... Puzzles can be stupid, though.

Fourth campaign spoilers:
In Ada Ch. 2, I literally spent around two hours trying to figure out the hanging body puzzle. I was looking all over both rooms for some clue. I looked in the previous room at the three/four wrapped up bodies. I saw how some were paired together, one was alone, and the other was lying on the ground. I thought of this as a parallel for the solution in the puzzle room, telling me the locations of the hanging bodies I needed to shoot down. It also thought it could've been hinting at the amount of bodies I needed to bring down at once before they respawned. I saw the arrow drops as a hint to use arrows for some reason, so I was afraid to use anything besides that. I tried shooting the arrow-filled corpse in the next room (which was the next puzzle). I tried shooting each corpse in the puzzle room with three arrows like the one that was impaled. I tried shooting down each of the dark colored shirt corpses. I tried shooting down each of the gray colored shirt corpses. I tried standing on the central construction and shooting through the empty noose to see if that triggered anything. I tried shooting down corpses in all configurations. All the singles? Nope. Making the doubles into singles? Nope. Maybe I wasn't fast enough? Doing it all again super fast before they respawned? Nope. Oh, it's a weight seesaw puzzle! Okay. Now I'll shoot the lower hanging bodies so the higher hanging ones drop down and trigger the extra corpse that will land on the lever! Nope. Hm. That's weird. I'm pretty sure I've tried everything. What am I missing?

It went on like that for so freaking long before I realized you were just supposed to push the stupid podium. I hate puzzles.

I'm an expert

That doesn't address my point which is that words have meaning. "Best" means something different from "favorite." The assumed IMO only makes sense if we're ONLY sharing opinions that have no relation to facts. That's not how discourse works, so there you go. Use the right words instead of assumptions and everyone will understand each other better.

I can distinguish between the words just fine. If I really had to choose a favorite, I'd say RE2 is my favorite. But I also think RE5 is the best RE. They're both subjective ideas though. I'm willing to look a bit beyond my bias for RE2 and admit RE5 is a better game, but I'm still basing that off of my own ideas of rating or judging a game, which are inherently subjective.

My point was, the guy who attacked the other poster for calling RE6 his favorite was an idiot. That's all.

Top Bottom