• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

RPG

I'm considering trying to get my Platinum-Trophy for RE6. The thing I'm most afraid of are the QTEs.
I played the first time on amateur to enjoy the story and because I'm not that good at games like this and since the loading tip mentioned that amateur solves QTEs I'm not sure what I've missed so far. I got still plenty of QTEs like the wiggle to shake off zombies and the shoulder button pressing to climb the robe or press a button to not be run over by a train that would otherwise kill instantly. Those were quite ok for me.
Was the loading tip lying or are there even more QTEs and how hard are they compared to the amateur QTEs?
And does the difficulty affect the reaction time as well? Like less time to shake grabbing zombies? I always found the time exactly fitting and a shorter time would certainly give me troubles.
And what skills would be a good choice?
I thought of firepower, defence and drop rate, but field medic sounds very usefull as well but not sure what to switch that for.

I played through on Pro the first time and didn't have any issue with the QTE's. The 'rotate' ones are the most problematic, but just remember to use both sticks and you'll pass them easily. As ilnadmy stated, the rest of them have checkpoints fairly close that let you retry if you fail.

As far as skills, Lvl 3. Firepower and Defense are musts and I kept the 'Steady Hand' one on just to keep that damn reticle from moving, but Drop Rate may be helpful since you'll likely dump most of your ammo in the final chapters of each.

Mit-

I played through on Pro the first time and didn't have any issue with the QTE's. The 'rotate' ones are the most problematic, but just remember to use both sticks and you'll pass them easily. As ilnadmy stated, the rest of them have checkpoints fairly close that let you retry if you fail.

As far as skills, Lvl 3. Firepower and Defense are musts and I kept the 'Steady Hand' one on just to keep that damn reticle from moving, but Drop Rate may be helpful since you'll likely dump most of your ammo in the final chapters of each.

Are the vehicle sequences atrocious on harder difficulties?

And do I have to get gold medals on every chapter on hard difficulties in order to platinum the game? Or just any old difficulty like in RE5?

RPG

Are the vehicle sequences atrocious on harder difficulties?

And do I have to get gold medals on every chapter on hard difficulties in order to platinum the game? Or just any old difficulty like in RE5?

Vehicle sequences were still easy.

You only need to complete the chapter on the Pro difficulty, medal rank doesn't matter. However, there is a trophy associated with earning 150 unique medals across all game modes.

Bittercup

The QTEs should be the least of your concerns. They're really easy, and if you fail you just get sent to a checkpoint right before the QTE. It really is nowhere near as big a deal as most reviewers make it out to be.

Thanks, that's encouraging :) I will give it a try tomorrow then.

I knew the dual rotating already, really makes a big difference for those QTEs :D I was just afraid they would shorten the time on higher difficulties to make them hard again. But if they are still easy on professional I guess there's no need to worry for me.

Lima

Well the infinite ammo for the magnum and grenade launcher are more than enough.

Shame that there is no magnum in Chris's campaign.

Curufinwe

The QTEs should be the least of your concerns. They're really easy, and if you fail you just get sent to a checkpoint right before the QTE. It really is nowhere near as big a deal as most reviewers make it out to be.

I could be kind and say some reviewers exaggerated how often QTEs happen in RE 6 and how hard they are, but lied is more accurate. The Gamespot review being a notable example, since it also falsely claims some of them require "superhuman wiggling speeds".

Astral

People keep saying this, but I have yet to see evidence that there is a magnum in Chris's campaign.

Yeah there's no magnum in Chris's campaign. He and Piers get the grenade launcher instead. I think I told someone that there is a magnum but I must've mistaken it for Jake's campaign.

Anyway, what does this update do?

I remember some time ago there being talk of rebooting the series after this installment. That being said does this installment seem to give a sense of closure for the character main stays of the series?

Sectus

I remember some time ago there being talk of rebooting the series after this installment. That being said does this installment seem to give a sense of closure for the character main stays of the series?

I wouldn't say so. I think it sets up more for a sequel than RE5 did.

I'm starting to play Catacombs alot more in mercs. Still having difficulty pulling off big combos but this map is super fun.

I made it my goal to die as much as possible and fail all the QTEs for the "Going Out in Style" title which requires you to "Be Killed Awesomely." Then I scrubbed through 30 hours of recordings and made videos for all my super cool deaths cause I know alot of people liked the RE5 death videos. It was fun.

Helena Harper
Leon Kennedy
Chris Redfield
Jake Muller
Sherry Birkins
Ada Wong
Amazing stuff, thanks for all the work! Love the captions too.

Neff

Not at all, it's business as usual. Loose ends and unreleased sexual tension abounds.

Neiteio

Do you think we might get Agent for Mercs with the Ada co-op update? We need him -- just look at him!

Mercsguy.png

Neiteio

I'm not a huge fan. He reminds me of the Chief:
No way -- Agent looks way cooler. What makes him special are the eyes -- or goggles-within-googles, I should say, looking like eyeballs in the sockets of a skull.

Kind of like a certain boss in the game...

Sectus

Do you think we might get Agent for Mercs with the Ada co-op update? We need him -- just look at him!

I'm willing to bet all my socks on him being unlocked for mercs once Ada coop is unlocked too.

I did a little bit of research into what enemies works in mercenaries. I've found a pattern in the game which I think is reliable (but could be wrong). The game only allows loading of pre-defined assets for various story mode stages or modes. This would explain why I'm unable to add j'avo to story mode stages which only has zombies normally, even though it's allowed to do in mercs (mercs has a global pre-defined data file for all maps, unlike story mode stages which has one for each stage). This would also explain why I'm having so much difficulty with model swaps.

I started adding random enemies to Urban Chaos to see what would work and what wouldn't. Adding BSAA soldiers didn't work, they became partially invisible. Adding rats didn't work, they became invisible. Adding Rasklapanje didn't work, he became completely invisible (it was actually kinda freaky, he still worked gameplay wise, you just couldn't see him at all and he'd still attack you). Adding pretty much every big boss would either not work or cause a crash. However, this guy did work: http://www.abload.de/img/2012-10-19_22-17-14f0bxv.jpg

Someone speculated he could be added to the Requiem for War DLC map, and maybe that's actually true. Looking at the thumbnail, that looks like the exact area where you fight that boss in the game. It would be special to have a stupidly large boss walking around in a mercs stage.

I'm not certain about this though. And there's also the chance he won't be in mercs, but in another mode instead.

Here is how to cheese Professional difficulty:

- Buy and equip the Field Medic Level 2 skill
- Set your AI partner to "Follow"
- Every time you die, you will be instantly revived with half your health

It's pretty damn easy to play through the game this way.

Ok, cool. I'll try that. Thanks.

The first thing you should do is buy the skill that increases the item drop rate. Almost every enemy drops ammo or skill points with it and you rarely have problems with low ammo.
Level 3 of firepower and defence should help a lot on professional as well.

Thanks. I'll try that also.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Damn... RE5 mercs is like impossibly hard.

I was playing with this guy earlier and got a couple S ranks... but man, I will never SS any of these levels.

I prefer RE6 mercs, just because I feel RE5 mercs can be cheap as hell at times. But Re5 mercs has Jill... so...

Esura

Banned
Damn... RE5 mercs is like impossibly hard.

I was playing with this guy earlier and got a couple S ranks... but man, I will never SS any of these levels.

I prefer RE6 mercs, just because I feel RE5 mercs can be cheap as hell at times. But Re5 mercs has Jill... so...

To this day I've never unlocked any other character for Merc.

Some bullshit man, I wanna play with Jill. :(

I was this close to letting one of my PSN friends borrow my account and saves so they can unlock her for me. :(

Evolved1

To this day I've never unlocked Jill.

Some bullshit...

I only have BSAA Jill... played for hours today trying to get battlesuit Jill but I either failed hard, or we did too good. Like, I unlocked Wesker with the S rank, and another level with a B rank, but I could never get the A rank. Either too good or too bad.

That shit is frustrating. Couple times I thought I had the sweet spot (I was sabotaging our rounds a little bit, just so we'd get A) and each time my partner got OHK'd by the reaper... karma I guess.

Astral

To this day I've never unlocked any other character for Merc.

Some bullshit man, I wanna play with Jill. :(

I was this close to letting one of my PSN friends borrow my account and saves so they can unlock her for me. :(

I think Jill (BSAA) is the only one I unlocked. I sucked at RE4 Mercs so I didn't bother too much with RE5's.

Esura

Banned
I only have BSAA Jill... played for hours today trying to get battlesuit Jill but I either failed hard, or we did too good. Like, I unlocked Wesker with the S rank, and another level with a B rank, but I could never get the A rank. Either too good or too bad.

That shit is frustrating. Couple times I thought I had the sweet spot (I was sabotaging our rounds a little bit, just so we'd get A) and each time my partner got OHK'd by the reaper... karma I guess.

Do you play RE5 on PS3? We should try to unlock the Jillz one of these days. :D

I only managed to get all the cats in RE6 unlocked because of StunandStab helping me in duno.

I think Jill (BSAA) is the only one I unlocked. I sucked at RE4 Mercs so I didn't bother too much with RE5's.

RE4 got Mercenaries? What?

Haha Evolved1 and Esura if you want I'll play RE5 mercs with either of you guys any time. I'm pretty good at it. I have SS ranks on every level

Esura

Banned
Haha Evolved1 and Esura if you want I'll play RE5 mercs with either of you guys any time. I'm pretty good at it. I have SS ranks on every level

Its probably weird trying to play RE5 Merc with RE6 out now but I'm with the others when I say I wanna play with Jill...in her battlesuit. :(

I would probably have to get acquainted with the RE5 controls though.

Evolved1

I'd love to play with you guys just be warned I'm a middling player, at best.

I'm excellent at putting bullets precisely where I want and setting up melee, even under duress... but I'm pretty weak managing the round. Getting time while keeping the combo going. Any pick ups, really... mess me up.

I also suck with the inventory. I fumble with it...

And I have a habit of losing the combo when I get too focused on a miniboss character that won't go down with the traditional setup+melee.

So, as far as RE5 mercs, I'm not the greatest player. And it's made a little worse, since I only know the layout of a few maps.

If this sounds like something you want to suffer through, hit me up anytime.

edit: you know what gets me the worst in RE5 mercs... when you try to do crowd control... pick one dude, shoot him in the forehead, rush in for the melee that knocks everyone back... but you burst his head instead of stunning him... now the crowd is closing in and your whole plan went to shit.

AlexBasch

I know this is the RE6 thread, but I started RE5 a few days ago and it has been quite cool to see that a lot of people are jumping in the game as well, been meeting a lot of new players, probably from the Archives edition.

Probably I'll aim to get Veteran and Pro now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Let me get in on some RE5 PS3 Mercs action too one of these days! I haven't really put much time into it, I have BSAA Jill unlocked and that's pretty much it.

Anyway I spent the past few hours playing RE6 Mercs with a rando online and we 150'ed Urban Chaos twice. He was playing as Samurai Chris, I played once as
Carla
and once as Helena. He had the increased firearm damage perk equipped, and he would run around killing enemies immediately at the start of the round, so I figured we wouldn't do very well. Lo and behold we kicked some ass. His perk is pretty decent because if our combo is in danger he will just wail on a zombie with his gun and it will die pretty darn quick. Interesting strategy.

GeekyDad

Let me get in on some RE5 PS3 Mercs action too one of these days! I haven't really put much time into it, I have BSAA Jill unlocked and that's pretty much it.

Anyway I spent the past few hours playing RE6 Mercs with a rando online and we 150'ed Urban Chaos twice. He was playing as Samurai Chris, I played once as
Carla
and once as Helena. He had the increased firearm damage perk equipped, and he would run around killing enemies immediately at the start of the round, so I figured we wouldn't do very well. Lo and behold we kicked some ass. His perk is pretty decent because if our combo is in danger he will just wail on a zombie with his gun and it will die pretty darn quick. Interesting strategy.

It would seem to me that if you were trying to squeeze every second you could, you would start the combo as early as possible, making your away around to each timer as you go, rather than eating up the seconds it takes to run around at the beginning of the match.

Evolved1

RE5 mercs is sadistic... I'm pretty tired and have been playing way too much RE today, might have a little bit to do with it, but dude.... WTF.

Three chainsaw guys at the same time, on a gigantic maze-like map where time is spread out all over and a pain int he butt to get to. Combo-killing ladders every ten steps, every other guy is a head bursting cephlashit... damn man. Brutal.

RE5 mercs is sadistic... I'm pretty tired and have been playing way too much RE today, might have a little bit to do with it, but dude.... WTF.

Three chainsaw guys at the same time, on a gigantic maze-like map where time is spread out all over and a pain int he butt to get to. Combo-killing ladders every ten steps, every other guy is a head bursting cephlashit... damn man. Brutal.

Haha, indeed it is. We'll get it eventually! I hadn't played RE5 mercs in years until I played it with you earlier. Still getting used to the whole thing.

ilnadmy said:

Send StunandStab a friend request on PSN. I enjoy trying to help you guys unlock all your characters even though I've already done it all. It's a lot of fun!

Edit: Of course I also love RE6 mercs too and I'm quite a bit better at that one =P

Top Bottom