• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Rebecca's nurse outfit from Mercs 3D.
Such a great retheme/mod to fairy tale Sheva

http://i.imgur.com/KvQlc.gif
I wish but I was going by whats already in 6
RE6 GL=
400px-RE1_grenade_launcher.jpg

Bear Commander=
attachment.php
I just wish Barry's Samurai Edge would be an unlockable again, its still my all time favorite RE weapon.

Dreamer RD

Now, this is just a ridiculous statement. I take great pleasure in being critical of shit, but no, you're plain wrong.

What makes you so sure? Are you some kind of big pro in mercs or something? I can say such things because wasted almost 3 fuckin years on RE5 mercs and I know what I'm saying. Facts? Already mentioned before. But if you are too lazy to read previous pages, I post them again.

1. Reunion score system with boss delays until 149 combo is simply awful if you play for records
2. Time importance is lowered. 200 points instead of 1000 per sec remained
3. Overall mechanics are terrible. Many invincibility frames removed and enemies behaviour is broken. If you just escaped from zombie grab, you can easily get attacked by other shit like cop with magnum or another frenzy zombie.

All this is for good players who know what they doing. If you just a casual player, then stop reading my comment and forget everything what I said above.
Peace.

Ken

What makes you so sure? Are you some kind of big pro in mercs or something? I can say such things because wasted almost 3 fuckin years on RE5 mercs and I know what I'm saying. Facts? Already mentioned before. But if you are too lazy to read previous pages, I post them again.

1. Reunion score system with boss delays until 149 combo is simply awful if you play for records
3. Overall mechanics are terrible. Many invincibility frames removed and enemies behaviour is broken. If you just escaped from zombie grab, you can easily get attacked by other shit like cop with magnum or another frenzy zombie.

All this is for good players who know what they doing. If you just a casual player, then stop reading my comment and forget everything what I said above.
Peace.

Yeah, that's incredibly dumb. I've had games where I was stripped any control for like 5+ seconds just being hit by a magnum over and over with no chance to react.

Lucentto

Banned

Peace.

You know, I kind of agree with you. I played RE5 mercs for a while too and I don't like RE6 mercs either. My hate mostly stems from your 3rd point, I just don't like the mechanics of this game. I get hit with somewhat random occurrences and end up losing the combo. Zombies are walking combo destroyers (not saying getting grabbed is random of course).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Peace.

It's possible to have an opinion, even a very strong one, without being condescending. I'm glad you got really good at RE5 mercs, man... really. Great accomplishment.

I was watching some high lvl RE5 mercs vids today... and what I saw was some really incredible inventory management, and then a lot of: cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Did I just spoil myself for finding out the last character in mercs?

Not really. Took me all of five minutes to figure out the big "twist" in the game. Really if you don't figure that out in the course of the game then you're just not paying any attention.

Sojgat

I ducked under a zombie's swipes 3x, iz not vorking

Well then it's easy to do with zombies the proper way, just wait for them to lunge. Cemetery right at the start of Leon chapter 2 or Urban chaos Mercs is good.

Edit: I think getting grabbed will wreck it and you have to start again.

Double Edit: I think the real trick to countering is knowing when to hit melee in the animation

Zombies lunging - when their arms are extended
Zombies with a shovel, etc - just after the swing starts, on the downward motion not on the wind-up

Shinta

Banned

This is the one that's really not making any sense to me. The mechanics are far more sophisticated than RE5. Just because you can get hit twice in a row if you're literally surrounded by zombies, the mechanics are all terrible? (I've only had the multiple grabs happen to me one time, when I was swimming under water in the campaign. My partner knocked the 2nd guy off me.) You can't even move and shoot in RE5. I think that's part of the reason you need more invincibility frames.

Sojgat

Peace.

I agree that the scoring is kind of silly, but the mechanics are great. It's not like many other games, the AI really gives no quarter, it doesn't stop attacking just because you just escaped, and you have no brief period of invincibility after an animation ends. You need to have good situational awareness, because the game won't let you endlessly chain finishers together if you're crowded on all sides by enemies. The magnum cops are kind of cheap, but they don't just appear and start shooting, you can see/hear them coming, hold A to recover quickly or just shoot them from the ground. Try turning the music off.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Just finished Chapter 4 on Leon's campaign and already I like this game infinitely better than RE5. I assume there's going to be zombies with assault rifles right? That always drew me out of RE5.

Don't really understand the low reviews. I'm not a huge RE fan but this game is pretty good.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Okay, I am far from finished with this game, but I would just like to comment on this one thing. I've experienced many bad game design decisions that I took notes on, but this is one of the ones that there is no excuse for whatsoever, and encompasses the overall lack of attention and polish the developers put into this game.

So apparently during certain cut scenes, where the the camera goes away from your character to focus on a door unlocking or other event, the enemies can still attack you when you can't even see them. This happened to me 3 times, where I was in the heat of battle, and a cutscene occurs taking the camera away from my character, and when it comes back my character is on the ground fending off an enemy who attacked me when I couldn't see it attack.

RE4 and RE5 made sure to pause the action in the game whenever a sequence like this happened, but RE6 is so freaking hardcore that everything happens in real time even when camera events leave you vulnerable.

This game isn't for little whiny babies who complain about cheap sequences that can damage or kill your character. Capcom made this game for real men who know that in the real world the action doesn't stop just because pov is taken away. /idiocy

I died once from this while working on a high rank and had to start over the entire chapter that took 1 hour just to get up to that point. Why are the chapters so insanely lon....nevermind don't get me started.

Sojgat

Okay, I am far from finished with this game, but I would just like to comment on this one thing. I've experienced many bad game design decisions that I took notes on, but this is one of the ones that there is no excuse for whatsoever, and encompasses the overall lack of attention and polish the developers put into this game.

So apparently during certain cut scenes, where the the camera goes away from your character to focus on a door unlocking or other event, the enemies can still attack you when you can't even see them. This happened to me 3 times, where I was in the heat of battle, and a cutscene occurs, taking the camera away from my character, and when it comes back my character is on the ground fending off an enemy who attacked me when I couldn't see it attack.

RE4 and RE5 made sure to pause the action in the game whenever a sequence like this happened, but RE6 is so freaking hardcore that everything happens in real time even when camera events leave you vulnerable.

This game isn't for little whiny babies who complain about cheap sequences that can damage or kill your character. Capcom made this game for real men who know that in the real world the action doesn't stop just because pov is taken away. /idiocy

I died once from this while working on a high rank and had to start over the entire chapter that took 1 hour just to get up to that point. Why are the chapters so insanely lon....nevermind don't get me started.

Yes it's a truly awful decison due to how rushed out the door this game seems. It's the little moment of interest parts that games like Gears give you an optional prompt for, RE6 just takes away camera control. Not so bad most of the time, but when you're in the middle of battle it's just broken.

I would hope this is fixed by the title update, but I'm not holding my breath.

DonMigs85

So apparently during certain cut scenes, where the the camera goes away from your character to focus on a door unlocking or other event, the enemies can still attack you when you can't even see them. This happened to me 3 times, where I was in the heat of battle, and a cutscene occurs taking the camera away from my character, and when it comes back my character is on the ground fending off an enemy who attacked me when I couldn't see it attack.

Couldn't you have just restarted the checkpoint? Does that affect ranking?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Yes it's a truly awful decison due to how rushed out the door this game seems. It's the little moment of interest parts that games like Gears give you an optional prompt for, RE6 just takes away camera control. Not so bad most of the time, but when you're in the middle of battle it's just broken.

I would hope this is fixed by the title update, but I'm not holding my breath.

If you're talking about the 1.2 update that just came out, no it doesn't. I installed it right before my session tonight and it happened to me twice. How could something this important be overlooked by play testers? Or just maybe this game wasn't really play tested much at all before going gold.

Soooo many other broken mechanics that I won't get into until I beat and master the game. Anyone else have to turn the brightness of your tv up just to have a fair chance of spotting enemies before they climb all over you in Leon's story? I hate losing health so knowing where the enemy is and to have a chance to react is kind of important for me to enjoy a game.

DonMigs85 said:
Couldn't you have just restarted the checkpoint? Does that affect ranking?
If you die, restarting doesn't erase the death. At least for me it didn't on several occasions. Also the par time for the highest rank is fairly hard to reach if you're trying to high rank the other categories like number of zombies killed, and unlike RE5 I can't stash ammo and weapons from other stages and then stock up for a S Rank run.

I really hate the item management because you have to be thinking about what you'll need to finish the story when trying to grind for skill points. I just want to take a certain weapon load out with me into previous stages so I can concentrate the ammo item drops towards the weapons I plan to use for that particular run.

Have I overlooked something and RE6 does indeed have a RE5 type weapon/ammo/item storage system? Why wouldn't they include this?

Replicant

WTF? Why does unlimited Grenade Launcher only gives you one ammo before you have to reload if you're using Sherry? That's fucking useless!

Sojgat

If you're talking about the 1.2 update that just came out, no it doesn't. I installed it right before my session tonight and it happened to me twice. How could something this important be overlooked by play testers? Or just maybe this game wasn't really play tested much at all before going gold.

Soooo many other broken mechanics that I won't get into until I beat and master the game. Anyone else have to turn the brightness of your tv up just to have a fair chance of spotting enemies before they climb all over you in Leon's story? I hate losing health so knowing where the enemy is and to have a chance to react is kind of important for me to enjoy a game.

If you die restarting doesn't erase the death. At least for me it didn't on several occasions. Also the part time for the highest rank is fairly hard to reach if you're trying to high rank the other categories like number of zombies killed, and unlike RE5 I can't stash ammo and weapons from other stages and then stock up for a S Rank run.

I really hate the item management because you have to be thinking about what you'll need to finish the story when trying to grind for skill points. I just want to take a certain weapon load out with me into previous stages so I can concentrate the ammo item drops towards the weapons I plan to use for that particular run.

Have I overlooked something and RE6 does indeed have a RE5 type weapon/ammo/item storage system? Why wouldn't they include this?

On new game+ (for campaigns you have already finished) you can start with all the weapons you find. You just have to discard the ammo you don't want to use, you can also equip an ammo pickup increase skill for the type of weapon you want to use. It's streamlined in one sense and just a bigger mess in another.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
On new game+ (for campaigns you have already finished) you can start with all the weapons you find. You just have to discard the ammo you don't want to use, you can also equip an ammo pickup increase skill for the type of weapon you want to use. It's streamlined in one sense and just a bigger mess in another.

*shakes head*

Capcom: Now we got SKILLZ to help item management!

This style worked in RE4 because you got to choose what weapons you wanted to keep and upgrade and then sell off unwanted weapons and items that you could buy back at any time. Ntm you got to organize your attache to your liking and increase its size 3 times over the course of your first play through. It never felt like a hindrance in RE4 like it does in RE6.

I really miss not being able to upgrade each weapon separately. It made me feel like I was customizing the game to my particular play style. Now I'm forced to use weapons I don't like because I keep picking up ammo for it instead of the weapons I want to use.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
It just happened to me again. This time the camera panned over to my ai partner when she was cranking a wheel, and when it came back, a zombie was all over me taking energy bars away. This is just bad game design. There is zero excuse for the development team not to understand why keeping the enemies active, while they force the camera away from the player, was a horrendous mistake.

I already hate the fact that they take control of my camera without warning, but to do it while being attacked by enemies is a brain dead design decision.

Sectus

Peace.

This stuff is very very subjective. I personally think reunion system works better as playing for combo encourages more improvisation in gameplay and I think it's a better challenge than "Oh well, I lost the combo. It's no biggie, I'll just make up by doing more cobra strikes!"

Boss delays adds a very interesting twist to the challenge as well. If it weren't for that, you might as well kill the boss instantly, which is usually very easy on every RE5 and RE6 stage. And that also encourages more improvisation to the gameplay (unless you exploit the AI and trap him behind a box. which I certainly hope isn't possible in RE6).

And mechanics are just different. They're not better or worse, they just make for a different game. Being stun locked may seem unfair, but there's a very simple solution: spot and kill the magnum enemies before they get the chance to do it.

It's possible to have an opinion, even a very strong one, without being condescending. I'm glad you got really good at RE5 mercs, man... really. Great accomplishment.

I was watching some high lvl RE5 mercs vids today... and what I saw was some really incredible inventory management, and then a lot of: cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash, cobra strike, dash,cobra strike, dash...

This.

I think another better thing about RE6 mercs which hasn't been mentioned yet is the removal of spawn regions. That element in RE5 meant you had to find a specific route and then follow it without error (especially on maps like ancient ruins and missile area). If you didn't, you would always lose the combo. It also meant that in duo, you almost never saw your partner because you were always in different spawn regions.

GeekyDad

Peace.

LOL Settle down, tough guy. No need to get bent out of shape. These are all either minor things that can be fixed or changes in the design you personally don't like. But Mercs itself in RE6 is otherwise quite good from the little I've played of it thus far. No, I'm no "big pro," but I've been playing Mercs for many years now, starting with 4, then 5, and the 3DS version is my most played 3DS game. You don't have to be a Mercs god to know whether or not the mechanics are sound. I stand by my opinion that your previous comment (as well as the one I'm now replying to) is ridiculous.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that the scoring is kind of silly, but the mechanics are great. It's not like many other games, the AI really gives no quarter, it doesn't stop attacking just because you just escaped, and you have no brief period of invincibility after an animation ends. You need to have good situational awareness, because the game won't let you endlessly chain finishers together if you're crowded on all sides by enemies. The magnum cops are kind of cheap, but they don't just appear and start shooting, you can see/hear them coming, hold A to recover quickly or just shoot them from the ground. Try turning the music off.

I will agree with him though that we could use a few more invincibility frames because sometimes you get some really cheap deaths. I was playing Mercs a few days ago and I kid you not, for about 10 seconds straight I kept getting raped by magnum cops. I would hold A to recover but literally the second I got up I would fall back down. I didn't even have any time to input any other commands before I fell down again. I went from 5 blocks of health to 1 block. It was cheap as hell.

I've also had many situations where a bloodshot will lunge at me as I'm getting up, and I literally have no time to react before I'm being munched on again. Your invincibility frames end before you actually regain control of your character, so it can lead to some extremely cheap and annoying deaths. It's not about the AI being aggressive, it's about getting attacked before you even have the chance to react.

Lol just noticed some cars at the university don't have the right style of license plates.

I also noticed that the subway station is 100% modeled after the New York subway system. The resemblance is uncanny.

Just finished Chapter 4 on Leon's campaign and already I like this game infinitely better than RE5. I assume there's going to be zombies with assault rifles right? That always drew me out of RE5.

Don't really understand the low reviews. I'm not a huge RE fan but this game is pretty good.

Join the club. This game got mauled in reviews and I cannot for the life of me understand why. I can understand getting reviews in the 7 or 6 range, but the 3/10 and 4.5/10 review just boggle the mind.

You won't get assault rifle enemies in Leon's campaign since he only fights zombies, but you will fight them in Chris' and Jake's campaigns. They won't be zombies though, but rather humans that inject themselves with a virus to improve their combat abilities. Not that it really matters, you're still fighting dudes with AK-47s.

Neiteio

Something I love about Jake's depiction in cutscenes is his eyes are so fiercely intelligent. He also smacks of someone who is more emotionally vulnerable than he lets on. Just an interesting character all around. I'm really hoping the last cutscene of the game, which you unlock after completing Ada's campaign, is a hint he will be the star of some Lost in Nightmare/Desperate Struggle-style DLC.

Also, replayed Jake Ch. 3 last night, this time as Sherry. First time I've revisited the campaign in awhile, having submerged myself in Mercs lately. That chapter is so great. :)

DonMigs85

Got Bob and Weave in Urban Chaos. It looks like you actually have to kill the zombies with your counter, just hitting them won't work.

Iresecia

Neo Member
It just happened to me again. This time the camera panned over to my ai partner when she was cranking a wheel, and when it came back, a zombie was all over me taking energy bars away. This is just bad game design. There is zero excuse for the development team not to understand why keeping the enemies active, while they force the camera away from the player, was a horrendous mistake.

I already hate the fact that they take control of my camera without warning, but to do it while being attacked by enemies is a brain dead design decision.

This has always annoyed me too. Like cool, show me what's going on but don't let zombies grab me while doing so. I usually just start mashing dodge buttons at parts like that on the odd chance it will work lol. Sometimes it does.

Also, one gripe I always had about RE5 was the fact that enemies had "lock on." If you were moving they could still change direction and turn around and hit you, despite you having to do a slow slow turn if you were aiming. With RE6 I thought this was mostly eliminated but I've been proven wrong after much time in mercs and trying out agent hunt. Enemies still have the whole lock on thing meaning they can still get a grab on you even if you step out of reach. Enemies you play as in agent hunt don't function the same way from what I've seen. Probably for good reason though since people would exploit it.

So who thought a small room filled with exploding vacuum-bots was a good idea?

So who thought a small room filled with exploding vacuum-bots where you escape by doing a rhythmic button-press where the smallest error will force you to start over was a better idea?

Why did we have to do this at least twice through two campaigns? :/

Riposte

kinda sucks but all infinite guns have to be reloaded and since it only an under barrel GL its one at a time.

Infinite ammo are basically cheats built into the game. I don't really see the point of complaining about them when they sort of ruin the game. Good for counter-griefing Agent Hunts players I guess.

Bladenic

So who thought a small room filled with exploding vacuum-bots where you escape by doing a rhythmic button-press where the smallest error will force you to start over was a better idea?

Yep, HORRIBLE part. Better done with the AI than co-op, since the AI will get that shit done pronto and without fail, unless they blow up of course.

You do get a sizable reward in skill points if you finish it before the other team, so it can be worth it. If you lose you get nothing though...

Yep, HORRIBLE part. Better done with the AI than co-op, since the AI will get that shit done pronto and without fail, unless they blow up of course.

You do get a sizable reward in skill points if you finish it before the other team, so it can be worth it. If you lose you get nothing though...

Well, I guess the "competing" part of it was kinda cool, sorta like a bonus Mario Party game. Didn't actually realize the other team was doing the same thing till I played Chris' part.

Oh yeah, and I could never successfully dodge that laser at the beginning...

Neiteio

Button press? Is that the QTE for the switch? I always play the guy holding off the robots in that section, which is easy.

Well, I guess the "competing" part of it was kinda cool, sorta like a bonus Mario Party game. Didn't actually realize the other team was doing the same thing till I played Chris' part.

Oh yeah, and I could never successfully dodge that laser at the beginning...
Run at the laser and slide under it. If you beat the other team to the end of the hall, you get a shitload of skill points.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Button press? Is that the QTE for the switch? I always play the guy holding off the robots in that section, which is easy.

I honestly have no idea how to do this part... I get blown to shit pretty much every time and always just barely survive.

Neff

I've finished Jake/
Ada
's scenarios on veteran twice, and Leon/Chris' scenarios on vet three times, and I'm still waiting for this to happen. In fact I'd like to see proof that it does.

Infinite ammo are basically cheats built into the game. I don't really see the point of complaining about them when they sort of ruin the game. Good for counter-griefing Agent Hunts players I guess.
Im not really complaining, infinite AR is the only one I have fun with.
I do miss the special unlockable guns though
Samurai Edge, Matilda, 93r.

Top Bottom