• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 Reveal? [IGN/EG: Teaser Vid Is Fake | No Reveal Or Announcement]

Vamphuntr

TruePrime said:
I think anyone that was really expecting RE6 set themselves up a bit. I can understand hoping for a teaser but anything beyond that was asking for it.

However I think any fans of the series have a reason to be outraged they would treck out the douche, they could have at least brought out the CG director/producer since that actually stars a Real Resident Evil Character.

The really outrageous thing is that for the 15th anniversary of the franchise they don't have footage of RE6 or even an announcement about it to make. Instead here is Operation Raccoon city, the game no one asked for and some quick ports.

Beth Cyra

Vamphuntr said:
The really outrageous thing is that for the 15th anniversary of the franchise they don't have footage of RE6 or even an announcement about it to make. Instead here is Operation Raccoon city, the game no one asked for and some quick ports.
Well at least that is a game.

That and they do have RER which has the stars of the original Resident Evil so it makes sense to let it be the 15t title.

So to me it really just comes down to hating Paul and what he did to the various RE characters.

I may not like Leon as he is in 4 but I hope he doesn't ruin him the way he did Chris.

Vamphuntr

TruePrime said:
Well at least that is a game.

That and they do have RER which has the stars of the original Resident Evil so it makes sense to let it be the 15t title.

So to me it really just comes down to hating Paul and what he did to the various RE characters.

I may not like Leon as he is in 4 but I hope he doesn't ruin him the way he did Chris.

At least he kept the fact that Claire is a smoker and is the leader of a convoy in the desert. RIGHT?

Bukana

Well,

I think ORC,RE4HD,CVX:HD,Revelations and Damnation will help us get through this unfortunate incident until E32012.

Duxxy3

TruePrime said:
Ugh, how do these movies keep being so profitable they keep making them?

Milla Jovovich has a fans. For me it carried over from watching the fifth element 100 times or so.

But even i will say that i hated the last movie and was hoping the series was dead.

Xpliskin

I have to say, this is one very naughty and sad troll. It is very elaborate.
The effort he put in is insane.
He kept feeding us throughout the whole thing:

-July 2011: Creates a fake RE6 & BIO6 logo. Says he's snapped a RE6 slide at SDCC
Posts it in a first famous horror website forum. Rumors are unleashed

-Aug 2011: Promises us "suprises" and a RE 6 announcement at TGS 2011
DELIBERATELY writes bad English and/or Engrish. Even details.
His stuff makes it to front pages.

-Sep 2011: 15th September hits, nothing is shown.

-Sep 2011: Creates an entire fake teaser, complete with premise, setting (canada) and
concept art from a canadian artist as well as robotic translated japanese text

-Sep 2011: Posts teaser and fake leaked detail on another famous RE fan forum under a different name

-Sep 2011: Teaser is debunked and discovered fake

-Sep 2011: He makes a thread in the first forum about how his own teaser is fake and that RE6 will still be announced.
Puts up a NEW made up logo picture that is from "RE 6 tgs presentation slides" and reassures us the announcement is coming.

He picked those 2 websites wisely.
The first one is a "must" for horror game/RE fans and 2nd one is the only one who would cover RE news from TGS live.

It has to be the same person. Why? The screen the teaser is projected on seems to be the same as from where the "leaked logo pic" is snapped.

Edit: The guy edited his post with the logo picture, replacing it with "x.".
I guess he must feel proud.

Kuraudo

Banned
Announcing RE6 isn't going to make it come any sooner. Capcom are undoubtedly developing it right now but there's no reason to announce it. Doing so would only take away from Op Raccoon City and Revelations. I don't expect to hear anything until at least one of those games is out. Only once both are out will they start hyping RE6 and (possibly) Damnation.

Weils

Neo Member
Xpliskin said:

This is so disappointing. Not only because of the troll, I think the combination of this elaborate hoax plus the little-to-no-show of Capcom's dismal Biohazard presentation make this a really sad and depressed day. :(

That will teach us to be wary of any kind of info from anywhere. Even game websites fell for it, just by covering news on the supposed "teaser" and "announcement".

Xpliskin said:
He kept feeding us throughout the whole thing
Good thing you helped out along the way:

Xpliskin said:
I think the logo leak is legit.

The logo in the teaser looks to be an attempt at reproducing the leaked logo. Compare them and you'll see what I mean.

The guy who has leaked the logo showed us this today. This is 100% legit if you'd ask me:
re6tgspresentation_slide001.jpg

Still a few hours to go and we'll get to know RE6.

News Bot

Banned
Never cared about the "leaks" in the first place, find it amusing that people are taking out all their nerd-rage on CAPCOM over something they didn't even have any involvement in that was perpetuated by a clever trolll and a bunch of wannabe journalists pretending they are credible.

I could live without BH6 existing in general. Especially if they do some good with BHREV and BHORC. They have an opportunity to tie-up all remaining plot threads with those two games from two distinct eras of the series. Of course, it's doubtful they'll take the chance, but one can hope.

glaurung

Obviously RE6 is coming, sooner or later.

But my gut is telling me that the logo and branding referred to above is either something that Capcom never intended to get out or a blatant fake.

I would not be too sad when TGS ends and no RE6 is up and about.

Could be wrong though. And a new RE main game is always welcome. Raccoon City looks like a nice Left 4 Dead co-op affair, but not a serious game so far.

News Bot said:
Never cared about the "leaks" in the first place, find it amusing that people are taking out all their nerd-rage on CAPCOM over something they didn't even have any involvement in that was perpetuated by a clever trolll and a bunch of wannabe journalists pretending they are credible.
Although the bulk of it is the fault of the faker (his lack of credibility was pointed out pretty much from day one), the lazy GAF OP (why post a rumor thread if you don't care to update?) and other posters and news sites who willingly bought into the fakes and claimed they were legit, Capcom is at least partly responsible in that they took the usual corporate route of refusing to answer, or simply saying "We do not comment on rumors and speculation" (which many, many companies do).

It takes some 10 minutes to debunk nonsense such as this, and it would prevent the baseless rage on message boards. I'm not saying that this is their fault, just that they should rethink some of their philosophies regarding those minor issues, because more and more, the entirety of the Internet makes them out to be "that company" – and most of them without any solid reason whatsoever. Enter pretty much any thread with Capcom in the title and you'll see that they just can't do anything right at the moment because their name is gaining a negative connotation. It probably won't affect their business in the short term, but it is a worrying development that should be worked against.

Jarmel

Banned
Xpliskin said:

-July 2011: Creates a fake RE6 & BIO6 logo. Says he's snapped a RE6 slide at SDCC
Posts it in a first famous horror website forum. Rumors are unleashed

-Aug 2011: Promises us "suprises" and a RE 6 announcement at TGS 2011
DELIBERATELY writes bad English and/or Engrish. Even details.
His stuff makes it to front pages.

-Sep 2011: 15th September hits, nothing is shown.

-Sep 2011: Creates an entire fake teaser, complete with premise, setting (canada) and
concept art from a canadian artist as well as robotic translated japanese text

-Sep 2011: Posts teaser and fake leaked detail on another famous RE fan forum under a different name

-Sep 2011: Teaser is debunked and discovered fake

-Sep 2011: He makes a thread in the first forum about how his own teaser is fake and that RE6 will still be announced.
Puts up a NEW made up logo picture that is from "RE 6 tgs presentation slides" and reassures us the announcement is coming.

He picked those 2 websites wisely.
The first one is a "must" for horror game/RE fans and 2nd one is the only one who would cover RE news from TGS live.

It has to be the same person. Why? The screen the teaser is projected on seems to be the same as from where the "leaked logo pic" is snapped.

Edit: The guy edited his post with the logo picture, replacing it with "x.".
I guess he must feel proud.

If this is true, this must be one of the greatest and most elaborate trolls in internet history.

Kuraudo

Banned
Prime Blue said:
Although the bulk of it is the fault of the faker (his lack of credibility was pointed out pretty much from day one), the lazy GAF OP (why post a rumor thread if you don't care to update?) and other posters and news sites who willingly bought into the fakes and claimed they were legit, Capcom is at least partly responsible in that they took the usual corporate route of refusing to answer, or simply saying "We do not comment on rumors and speculation" (which many, many companies do).

It takes some 10 minutes to debunk nonsense such as this, and it would prevent the baseless rage on message boards. I'm not saying that this is their fault, just that they should rethink some of their philosophies regarding those minor issues, because more and more, the entirety of the Internet makes them out to be "that company" – and most of them without any solid reason whatsoever. Enter pretty much any thread with Capcom in the title and you'll see that they just can't do anything right at the moment because their name is gaining a negative connotation. It probably won't affect their business in the short term, but it is a worrying development that should be worked against.

Yeah, I agree with this. All they had to do was say "We're not announcing Resident Evil 6 at TGS" and put an end to all of this when it first hit the major news sites. The problem is that none of Capcom's PR guys have the authority to say anything that deviates from prior scripting, so they have to use the same quote about rumours and speculation.

Kuraudo said:
Yeah, I agree with this. All they had to do was say "We're not announcing Resident Evil 6 at TGS" and put an end to all of this when it first hit the major news sites. The problem is that none of Capcom's PR guys have the authority to say anything that deviates from prior scripting, so they have to use the same quote about rumours and speculation.
I've noticed that, lately (over the past year or so), the PR campaign staff (not sure if internal or external) gives Capcom employees very strict schedules about when they have to reveal information concerning a specific game. You saw it with the Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil Revelations interviews, where the producers pretty much re-iterated the same statements no matter what the questions were. Hence, producers such as Masachika Kawata, Jun Takeuchi and Tsukasa Takenaka seem more like puppets than people nowadays. The internal PR staff at Capcom U.S.A., Inc. is forgettable anyway. They don't even do their homework for the products they are trying to sell.

The only commendable work was done by the PR team that was behind RE5's campaign. That was probably the best and most effective advertising effort I've seen in years. But since then, it was all downhill.

And if the current PR staff thinks that information chaos will win Capcom favors, they should be fired right away.

This is such a weird situation.

Especially since this would have been a perfectly logical time for Capcom to announce RE6. Are they really so balls-deep in Dragon's Dogma that they didn't have time to start production on RE6 for at least the anniversary?

ShockingAlberto said:

Especially since this would have been a perfectly logical time for Capcom to announce RE6. Are they really so balls-deep in Dragon's Dogma that they didn't have time to start production on RE6 for at least the anniversary?
They are of course working on RE6, but now would be a terrible time to announce it as it would be taking away a lot from Operation Raccoon City (if that's possible) and Revelations. Once the latter is out, we'll see the reveal pretty soon. The signs point to E3 2012.

BurntPork

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

They may be saving it for a next-gen launch title.

Prime Blue said:
They are of course working on RE6, but now would be a terrible time to announce it as it would be taking away a lot from Operation Raccoon City (if that's possible) and Revelations. Once the latter is out, we'll see the reveal pretty soon. The signs point to E3 2012.

They have zero interest in promote ORC in Japan, I wonder how many faith they have in the game doing well in the west.

cvxfreak

Prime Blue said:

Operation Raccoon City didn't appear at TGS, which added even more to the confusion.

I'm not sure we have to wait until E3 2012. Maybe once ORC actually hits, we'll get some news. So, December would be a nice estimate. Something akin to when Biohazard 4 was unveiled, shortly after Resident Evil Zero was released in the U.S. and shortly before Biohazard 0 in Japan...

ymmv

Banned
rockman zx said:
They have zero interest in promote ORC in Japan, I wonder how many faith they have in the game doing well in the west.

It's mid September and there isn't even an official release date for a game that should come out this year.

Phenomic

rockman zx said:

Such a strange title in my opinion, it's like they just had to do something for the Anniversary and wanted to try something new out, but they don't have much faith in it. It's like they are just hoping something hits and does well, but they are doing it blindly sending it to die. Was it even at TGS? I thought that game was coming out this year.. am I wrong?

Edit* CVX answered my question while I posted it.

cvxfreak said:
I'm not sure we have to wait until E3 2012. Maybe once ORC actually hits, we'll get some news. So, December would be a nice estimate. Something akin to when Biohazard 4 was unveiled, shortly after Resident Evil Zero was released in the U.S. and shortly before Biohazard 0 in Japan...

Though would you not think they would want to get Revelations out first? RE6 would kill that games buzz, or whatever. It's being driven as the next mainline RE title in a way.

Xpliskin

Prime Blue said:
Good thing you helped out along the way:

Every major RE fan website fell into it. Hell IGN and that other website posted it in the front page. The guy claimed his own teaser is fake and kept feeding us.

Who could have imagined this was so big and orchestrated?
The effort that guy put is just crazy. Faking filming a teaser trailer behind closed doors.
Planning and seeding us in july. Refreshing the bait in our mouth, just to deceive us in the end.

What kind of fucked up person does that? This is insane.

On a side note, I've never found a time so fitting to link this vid. Hope the disappointed people can all see the hilarity in this and forget about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
trolololololololo.jpg

Carbonox

While I'm not surprised it turned out to be a hoax, I am disappointed. Capcom offered nothing exciting or new (announcements or whatever) during TGS (unless you're a Monster Hunter fan) on par with their plates years ago.

I remember years ago when they used to dominate TGS periods with exquisite new trailers and great game announcements. Nearly everything they came out with was appealing to me and looked phenomenal. I can say I want this and that game that was shown this year from them but how they go about their business at the show just hasn't been the same for a long time. They don't generate legitimate excitement across the board anymore. At least IMO.

I wouldn't expect anything new from them until Captivate. Though isn't there a show around January time?

Shtof

Capcom probably learned from RE5 that showing the game too early will result in the hype machine lying dead when the game finally releases. Then again, this is Capcoms crown franchise and a main entry needs to be great. RE5 was passable, but not a big step forward like RE4.

Funshine

Neo Member
Shtof said:
Capcom probably learned from RE5 that showing the game too early will result in the hype machine lying dead when the game finally releases. Then again, this is Capcoms crown franchise and a main entry needs to be great. RE5 was passable, but not a big step forward like RE4.

I don't think the hype machine was dead...re5 sold incredibly well so I figure their still was some hype in there. It was the best selling re according to their chart thingy http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Imbarkus said:
After all the racism controversy of RE5, I wanted Capcom to have some balls and invoke all those same uncomfortable feelings in reverse: main character is black, wears a black beret. Los Plagas (plus some virus or whatever) have once again brought apocalypse to a quiet midwestern American town. They inhabit the businessmen in suits. They inhabit the housewives in their sundresses. They inhabit the police in the riot gear. They inhabit FBI in black sunglasses. Black man blows the heads off them all, revealing the evil parasite within.

And suddenly the OOPS!-accident-"we here in Japan had no idea this could be a problem" explanation for RE5 is nullified, or at least lessened. The sense of unease being heightened by invoking uncomfortable racial juxtapositions is revealed as an intentional part of the design. Praise from N'Gai Croal. Praise from critics.

Instead..... ?

Hope for my idea lives on...

Xpliskin said:
Umm... Hmm... No idea.

But yeah. Why would anyone ever distrust a random forum poster?

By the way, it was me. I planned the whole thing, top to bottom. But I promise I won't do it again. And I can also confirm now that both the logos and the teaser were fake, but that Capcom will do the real RE6 presentation a week from now (100% legit!!!). Photoshops to follow, stay tuned!

Jarmel

Banned
Xpliskin said:
Every major RE fan website fell into it. Hell IGN and that other website posted it in the front page. The guy claimed his own teaser is fake and kept feeding us.

The effort that guy put is just crazy. Faking filming a teaser trailer behind closed doors.
Planning and seeding us in july. Refreshing the bait in our mouth, just to deceive us in the end.

What kind of fucked up person does that? This is insane.

On a side note, I've never found a time so fitting to link this vid. Hope the disappointed people can all see the hilarity in this and forget about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
trolololololololo.jpg

The man seriously deserves a medal.

Xpliskin

Prime Blue said:
Umm... Hmm... No idea.

But yeah. Why would anyone ever distrust a random forum poster?

By the way, it was me. I planned the whole thing, top to bottom. But I promise I won't do it again. And I can also confirm now that both the logos and the teaser were fake, but that Capcom will do the real RE6 presentation a week from now (100% legit!!!). Photoshops to follow, stay tuned!

*sigh* Oh really?
What do you expect, a "oh prime u so smart" ?
Whether you deny it or not, we all fell for it in some way or the other.
I'm done discussing this business.

It just can't enter my mind some douche would go through all this just to deceive people.
A normal person would never do that. This guy is satan's associate.

Capcom went from being one of the best developers this generation to being on my personal shit list. Did anyone expect RE6 considering that most of the Resident Evil games have had troubled development? RE4 was scrapped and they essentially started over. RE2 was scrapped and they essentially started over. RE5 was obviously built as a single player game and co op was shoehorned in, thus delaying the game.

Simo

I haven't really kept up on RE6 and didn't see a thread for this so not sure if this is old news but RE6 showed up on voice actor Joe Cappelletti's resume but then was quickly changed from this...
resident-evil-6-credits.jpg

to this...
resident-evil-6-credits-fixed.jpg

http://www.joecap.com/

I guess Milla Jovovitch then followed up and asked Capcom and this was her tweet..
So, I just asked the boys from Capcom when RE6 the game comes out and they said …. hahaha it’s confidential. So there you go folks

Top Bottom