• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - Review Thread | Activist Reviews and the Hate Patrol Destroy Truth™

I have looked at some of these reviews. I am starting to think these reviewers went a little overboard. More extremism in the gaming press. Yay.

Crateman

I thought RE6 looked a little disjointed from the previews, but I never expected it to be that awful.

It feels like, except for the Street Fighter (and fighting genre) revival, Capcpom managed to single handedly destroy itself and most of its franchises in one swoop. With the people that made the company what it was on its prime now gone, I hope they reconsider and start working on reclaiming the space they had in previous generations.

So, what’s next? RE7 or a complete reboot?

ezekial45

Banned
This game will still sell pretty well. It's unfortunate for them to have a game so polarizing, but at the very least the brand will keep it afloat.

It's just too bad that so many people were on this game. I know a lot of people expect such a massive team to deliver quality, but if the direction they're taking is questionable then the game will lead to something distasteful for many.

Capcom JPN will probably retreat back to something else after this. They might even make DMC5, just to go back to a safe place.

GenericUser

I do not understand how anybody can be surprised by these scrores. I mean the demo was available for everybody to see how bad and uninspired this game is. What really surprises me is how you can make an awesome awesome game (RE4) and a really bad game (RE6) that basically use more or less the same core gameplay elements.

Alastor

I was going to buy the PC version close to day one, but now, I'm not so sure. I watched the IGN video review and the game seemed terrible, but it was aso edited to show the worst moments, so...

Damn Capcom, you tried too hard :\

ultron87

So is Famitsu actually on the take when it comes to reviews? Or they are just very friendly with companies that give them exclusives and whatnot?

Endo Punk

Capcom really need to take a step back and rethink their whole strategy, it's quite clear Western division should not be allowed anywhere near games development, just have them do marketing and such. Bloated teams gotta go, abusing DLC, terrible PR etc. There is just so many things wrong with Capcom and I don't think DmC, LP3 and Remember Me will fare any better.

Floex

I would still rather be my own judge. If I always just put my trust in critics and bought strictly on what they recommended, then I would have missed out on a ton of games that I really enjoyed. Same can be said for books, movies and music as well.

Err, rent it then? No way would I throw down £40 on a game I might like. Hell, even the demo left a sour taste in my mouth. If you put out a game in that state with Capcom still expecting me to hand over my money they are deluded

I'm not so sure. Capcom will flood the channels, no doubt. However, word of mouth will spread FAST on this one.

I would hope so but like someone mentioned earlier, Raccoon City was an absolute pisstake made by some charlatans and that sold pretty well from what I remember. The Resident Evil name means a lot to people still and nostalgia is a powerful substance to clean from your system

Kusagari

The Brits really do seem to like it more.

They also liked Zelda SS a lot more than American reviewers.

Europeans are more used to putting up "jank" in games I'd say than Americans. If they think there is a good game hidden beneath the mountain of problems, I'm not that surprised by it getting better scores from them.

You guys its out tomorrow at every RedBox in the country. Save your monies pick it up for $2 beat it by Friday return it and be happy you spent only $8 on a game that you might either loathe with every fiber of your being or be slightly entertained by. WIN FOR EVERYONE

got it coming via gamefly but thanks for the heads up

ironcreed

Banned
Agreed, but you continue to ignore the fact that you're asking someone to put down sixty dollars to decide if they like something or not when the information they have available to them indicates they won't like it. It's not comparable in cost to a book or a movie which are much more impulse buys due to the lower costs/risk. I agree you shouldn't have blind faith in reviews and critics, but you're asking for blind faith in the other direction which is equally stupid.

I merely suggested that he be his own judge, man. Nothing more, nothing less. He will make up his own mind in the end, regardless.

Dabanton

Well lets hope this leads to a reboot. As the entire series just teeters along now almost toppling over on it's ludicrousness. Looking back how amazing were the first two games when they were not balanced on this clusterfuck of a convoluted storyline.

The entire things just a hot mess now. It's like one step forward better controls. And 5 steps back everything else.

omonimo

Banned
Europeans are more used to putting up "jank" in games I'd say than Americans. If they think there is a good game hidden beneath the mountain of problems, I'm not that surprised by it getting better scores from them.
I'm european & no, not works in this way for me. With all respect.

ironcreed

Banned
Err, rent it then? No way would I throw down £40 on a game I might like. Hell, even the demo left a sour taste in my mouth. If you put out a game in that state with Capcom still expecting me to hand over my money they are deluded

Yeah, probably a wiser course of action for those scratching their heads.

Zaph

It's a bug list. Capcom sent out review code of RE6 very, very early. Which, you know, I have to give them credit for. They could have hidden the game and coasted on hype and curiosity, but they let reviewers have it early. Earlier than any other game this year.

That said, I understand Jeff's decision to wait for retail.
So how does that work?

Capcom says "Here's a list of known bugs. Accepting this review code means you won't let them impact your final score. We will have them fixed by launch. Promise."?

Other than good faith is there any assurances the reviewer won't be left embarrassed if the known bugs appear in the retail disk and he/she didn't mention them in the review?

I know most of this is moot considering the scores coming in, but I'm curious how far 'caveats' can go before the publication thinks it isn't worth it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No kidding.

This is why games journalism will never be taken seriously.

Seriously? So games journalism finally does right and uses the whole scale, and doesn't just pander and give a 9/10 to a AAA title and people STILL complain?

What did you want them to do? Hate the game, but give it a 10?

It's like they can never win...

ezekial45

Banned
Capcom really need to take a step back and rethink their whole strategy, it's quite clear Western division should not be allowed anywhere near games development, just have them do marketing and such. Bloated teams gotta go, abusing DLC, terrible PR etc. There is just so many things wrong with Capcom and I don't think DmC, LP3 and Remember Me will fare any better.

This was all Capcom JPN's doing. The western division doesn't as much influence as you think, and they certainly didn't impress this upon them.

ekim

I really feel sorry for those 600 people crunching the game together and now receiving that bad scores. But in the end I hope Capcom and maybe other Devs take note and stop rewarming exhausted genres.

duckroll

So is Famitsu actually on the take when it comes to reviews? Or they are just very friendly with companies that give them exclusives and whatnot?

Famitsu is the highest circulated weekly game magazine in Japan. It is comparable to what Game Informer is in the US. I'm sure you can work the rest out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow, I expected lukewarm reviews, but not like this. I'm glad to see that gaming journalism has some balls left, but I wonder if they would do this for such a hyped western-developed title that turned out to be shit?

Anyways, still looks like a fun, brainless (pardon the pun) rental. If you guys want a real Resident Evil, go play Revelations for the 3DS.

It's pretty odd Revelations got such a better critical reception.

Unfortunately, if RE6 sells well (it will), it's definitely going to send Capcom the wrong message considering Revelation's lukewarm sales response.

Risible

Man these reviews are making me ejaculate, I have to play the game myself to make my own opinion though.

I don't understand. You're happy that a game is bad? That makes no sense. As gamers, we all lose when shitty games come out, so I'm really bemused by all the "I love that it's getting shitty reviews" posts.

Top Bottom