• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

tesqui

Thanks Dusk Golem and community for the 5 graves puzzle walkthrough. Managed to solve the puzzle after multiple attempts at
ghost sightings for giggle 5
. I'm a bit paranoid about save data since I never saw the game save, but it must happen in the background.

Spinky

Wait am I missing something here brehs ? I had a bad ending but
didn't encounter no basement monster
nor any of the other stuff I've read here. I don't get how that works, isn't it all supposed to be static set pieces ? Does that mean I have to go through this demo again despite how awesome it was ? In full dark ? Alone at night in my appartment ?

Yup.

There's a bad ending, an infected ending, and a true ending.

Try to get into the basement.
Thanks Dusk Golem and community for the 5 graves puzzle walkthrough. Managed to solve the puzzle after multiple attempts at
ghost sightings for giggle 5
. I'm a bit paranoid about save data since I never saw the game save, but it must happen in the background.

I really wanna know what definitively triggers this, because I solved it this morning fairly quickly-ish without ever seeing the ghost girl at all.

Plum

That's interesting. I know it's annoying but verify cache on Steam. Other than that, we have same/very similar setup. No reason for the stuttering. It was buttery smooth on my end.

Just did a quick test with MSI Afterburner's statistics on and it seems that whenever these stutters happen the CPU usage on all four of the cores shoot up to 100%. Everything else is fine; temps are as they usually are (around 60c on the CPU, around 70-25c on GPU) and nothing else seems to be happening. Thankfully there's other people with the issue on the Steam forums but none of them have any clue what's causing it either.

Really strange; I just hope it doesn't continue on to the full game, though I will have a new PC by then (either downsizing or buying a gaming laptop).

rahji

ok i downloaded and it was pretty good. found the bad and the infected ending on my own. reminded me of condemned.

Jazzem

Man this has gotten me excited for the full game, gave me a similar rush to Alien Isolation!

Though getting
the true ending was utterly maddening, gah.

Momentary

Banned
How long is this from start to finish? My wife wants to watch this on the TV. Also I've seen people say that HDR is implemented and others say that it's not.

Arkanius

FUCK THE BASEMENT

I'm convinced by this game, but I'm too stressed. The fun of horror games is conquering the fear.

By the way, 1440p everything maxed. 6700K and 980 Ti. Never dropped below 60 fps. Although I over around 60-70 during normal gameplay and a locked 144 fps during the VHS section?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I... I don't get it. I can't just find the bad ending. How the fuck do you get to that basement ? :|

Jackpot

Banned
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15621

You can unpack the files now.

https://goo.gl/9FwwI8
Download this and copy its contents to Steam\SteamApps\common\RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard Demo

Open sf5.bms with a text editor and replace its contents with

Code:
# Resident Evil 7 / Biohazard 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour (PAK format)
# Written by Ekey (h4x0r)
# 
# script for QuickBMS http://quickbms.aluigi.org

comtype deflate
idstring "KPKA"
get VERSION long
get FILES long

for i = 0 < FILES
   get DUMMY1 long
   get DUMMY2 long
   get DUMMY3 long
   get OFFSET longlong
   get ZSIZE longlong
   get SIZE longlong
   get FLAG longlong
   get DUMMY4 long
   if FLAG == 0
      log "" OFFSET SIZE
   else
      clog "" OFFSET ZSIZE SIZE
   endif
next i

Run extract-all.bat

The DAT files have a lot of strings that can be seen using a text editor. All the names of sounds, animations, textures, subtitles, etc

Spinky

I... I don't get it. I can't just find the bad ending. How the fuck do you get to that basement ? :|

You can get the basement key from the attic.

To get to the attic, get the fuse, which can be found through a secret compartment in the room you start in. Crouch and pull the handle in the fireplace.

Put it in the fuse box, then you can then go up the stairs to where the mannequins are and take it from there.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
You can get the basement key from the attic.

To get to the attic, get the fuse, which can be found through a secret compartment in the fireplace. In the room where you start in.

Yeah, did all that but the only thing resembling a basement is the same you see in the VHS but in the present day, the ladder is gone. Don't see anything else. Subtle hint ? Not the full thing, I still wanna find by myself :)

Yeah, did all that but the only thing resembling a basement is the same you see in the VHS but in the present day, the ladder is gone. Don't see anything else. Subtle hint ? Not the full thing, I still wanna find by myself :)

You missed a door. The first area you come out of, there is a door to the right there. Should be open for you after watching the tape.

Risible

You missed a VERY obvious door near the start point.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Uh... just look for a door/entrance that looks different to most of the others.

You missed a door. The first area you come out of, there is a door to the right there. Should be open for you after watching the tape.

You missed a VERY obvious door near the start point.

Lol... I actually saw it but since it didn't work the first time, I didn't bother again as I thought it'd be off limit for demo purpose. Anyway, here we go ! Thanks.

rtcn63

Another hint is that certain items will not appear until you've interacted with other things first

And protip if you can't get a stable 60fps on good hardware: Lock the framerate to 60 in-game, it defaults to variable I think. I would get drops when turning the camera. Also don't use HBAO.

Parsnip

The thing that tripped me about the moldy door is that it looks locked and the handle looks busted so I didn't expect I could just walk and push it open. I expected there to be a button prompt or something, and when nothing popped as I walked close, I just turned around.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck this game... I don't wanna go to the basement guys. I'm so into it, ordinary I'm **never** scared for these type of games but it's the first time since Amnesia to make me feel like legit scared and opprosed.

somedevil

Can't get the game to run. I get into the menu just fine but after the loading icon pops up the game crashes. Not sure why, my drivers are up to date.

Edit: More people having same issue on Steam community. I'll wait for a fix.

Same problem.

Its seems to be a cpu issue with older phenom chips that have issues with SSE 4.1 support.

I hope a fix or patch comes out because without it I can't play the game.

vg260

Anyone playing with mouse/keyboard finding the movement a little disconcerting? I can't put my finger on it, but it felt a little laggy/sluggish. I played the demo on consoles, and didn't notice anything of the sort, so I'm not sure. I don't usually have issues with FPSs, but something felt a bit off. Maybe I should try a controller on PC.

Anyone playing with mouse/keyboard finding the movement a little disconcerting? I can't put my finger on it, but it felt a little laggy/sluggish. I played the demo on consoles, and didn't notice anything of the sort, so I'm not sure. I don't usually have issues with FPSs, but something felt a bit off. Maybe I should try a controller on PC.

I cranked my sensitivity up to 14 and was still feeling it. You're not alone, sir. lol

Keyboard/mouse seem fine to me. If anything, unlike other fps on pc, movement is super smooth on this versus other fps I've tried on pc. But yeah, try playing on controller instead. I tend to find with most fps on pc, when playing with controller, movements look/feel smoother than playing with keyobard/mouse.

Ghazi

Game ran really well for a while and then suddenly I started experiencing the stuttering/drops from 120 fps to 40-50.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game seems to run real good on my 980ti 6700k. Although id expect it to. And im only playing n 1080p 60 on my TV. Was able to max everything with SMAA.

I am now happy i purchased the PC version. January is so soon and we know so little about this game. I like that.

Same problem.

Its seems to be a cpu issue with older phenom chips that have issues with SSE 4.1 support.

I hope a fix or patch comes out because without it I can't play the game.

Yeah, just had a look today and you're right. I'm sure there was a couple of big games recently that had the same issue at launch, I think No Mans Sky was one but it got fixed pretty quick.

I cranked my sensitivity up to 14 and was still feeling it. You're not alone, sir. lol

I noticed something was off as well. I thought it might be because the flashlight has a delayed movement. Like when you look around the flashlight is lagging behind which might make it seem like something is off. If its not that then I'm not sure what else it could be. I even have gsync monitor.

somedevil

Yeah, just had a look today and you're right. I'm sure there was a couple of big games recently that had the same issue at launch, I think No Mans Sky was one but it got fixed pretty quick.

Yeah it semms that that its an issue with SSE 4.2 support as well.

I just remember the gold old days when you bought a pc game it was playable without needed a patch or a total redo.

I hope there is one because my CPU is maxed out and the only way to upgrade is a new pc.

I noticed something was off as well. I thought it might be because the flashlight has a delayed movement. Like when you look around the flashlight is lagging behind which might make it seem like something is off. If its not that then I'm not sure what else it could be. I even have gsync monitor.

I have Gsync as well.

Wait I see people talking about stuff that I havent't seen on my demo. Is this one of those demos where you can trigger different secret stuff? I think I should play it again.

Also, game runs like a charm on my config, 60fps 1080p with almost everything on max setting (R9 390, 4690k, 8gb ram). As expected from a Capcom PC game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
It's supposed to be under graphics options -> color space -> BT.709

Has anyone come up with why, with HDR enabled and the proper hardware needed to use it, Televisions don't notify that they are running HDR video? I don't get it and other people here don't either.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait I see people talking about stuff that I havent't seen on my demo. Is this one of those demos where you can trigger different secret stuff? I think I should play it again.

Also, game runs like a charm on my config, 60fps 1080p with almost everything on max setting (R9 390, 4690k, 8gb ram). As expected from a Capcom PC game.

Once you go out of the 'backdoor' bad ending, use what you learned from the VHS tape before you watch the VHS tape.

Have they removed
getting a phone call
from this version of the demo?

I know it was in earlier versions of the PS4 demo

All functionality of
the phone
is missing from the final version of the demo, seemingly.

Do we have any pro details? I hope they upgrade it significantly for vr and then again for pro

Would me nice to get those pc options but seems it will mostly look the same

Top Bottom