• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

This kind of vagueness is not good for anyone. If Capcom is going to cause problems with keys from cdkeys, Capcom should come out and say "don't buy keys from cdkeys".

Dancing around the issue with no direct statement just has the potential to alienate fans. It definitely doesn't get me excited to buy at this point, and my backlog is such that not buying it for now isn't really all that hard.

it's not Capcom "causing problems" or anything for CDKeys...they are outright saying they don't know where CDKeys is getting their keys from that they are selling and warning people that there are locks on various region's keys (as Dusk Golem explained above)

jett

D-Member
? Ran like a dream for me on a 1060.

Different things happen on a second playthrough. I think you can only get the bad ending the first time.

Oh well. I uninstalled the demo. This kind of Amnesia-like experience isn't for me. I thought it'd be cheesier based on what I had seen but it's genuinely unsettling when you play it.

Mat-triX

Does anyone else have this problem?

For some reason, booting up the demo starts it in windowed mode, and I have no cursor/control in the game. I can alt+enter to full screen it, but I still get no control. Anyone know a way to fix this?

Momentary

Banned
Any comparisons up between the 4 different versions yet?

Like a graphics comparison? I did a quick one earlier. Of PS4 vs High end PC.

Borrowed some pics over on the console screenshot side (credit to chandoog) to do a comparison. Not trying to start anything here whatsoever. I just wanted to show a comparison between a high-end PC and console.

Console version looks good, but this shows how Capcom is actually putting in some extra care on this port. Fantastic job.

(PC version is running Max everything with Chromatic Aberration turned off, SSAO, and 5K downsampled to 1080p running at 60~65fps.)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194167

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194168

vg260

This might sound dumb, but have you turned the sensitivity up? I janked it up from the options menu since the default is very low. There's both mouse and controller sensitivity options there. I think both start out on 8/40, really low settings.

Normally, I never touch mouse sensitivity and have no issues in games. Something's wonky with the mouse responsiveness. I notice it immediately when going from desktop to in-game. Changing the sensitivity did not fix it.

Something's definitely messed up. It feels very drifty/imprecise. I played Gears 4, Hitman, and Overwatch recently all with no issues or need to adjust any mouse speed settings in or out of game.

Momentary

Banned
This kind of vagueness is not good for anyone. If Capcom is going to cause problems with keys from cdkeys, Capcom should come out and say "don't buy keys from cdkeys".

Dancing around the issue with no direct statement just has the potential to alienate fans. It definitely doesn't get me excited to buy at this point, and my backlog is such that not buying it for now isn't really all that hard.

Everyone and their mother says don't buy from those guys. It is known that they are a grey market retailer, but it goes in one ear and out the other for consumers. No telling how many times that scummy company has be berated on these forums. I don't know how a Capcom rep taking their time to post directly on a forum warning you about your purchase from that is "dancing around the issue."

dlauv

Normally, I never touch mouse sensitivity and have no issues in games. Something's wonky with the mouse responsiveness. I notice it immediately when going from desktop to in-game. Changing the sensitivity did not fix it.

Something's definitely messed up. It feels very drifty/imprecise. I played Gears 4, Hitman, and Overwatch recently all with no issues or need to adjust any mouse speed settings in or out of game.

DOOM was like this. A lot of games are. It's v-sync lag and/or a lack of raw input or something. Upping the sensitivity helps with gameplay, but it never really makes the menus feel A+. If you play without v-sync, the problem's gone but you get screen tearing.

jediyoshi

Not gonna be scared to order from a place that's never given me trouble before.

Again, you're completely missing the point. It's not a matter of "faith" in the retailer. There are literally only two types of distributors. Ones that source their keys directly from retailers/publishers (Amazon, Humble, GameStop, etc) and ones that don't. There is no precedent when every single publisher has completely different policies.

What's vague about it whatsoever? You're explicitly being told they don't know where the keys are sourced from. They're not dealing with them directly. They couldn't go and specifically "cause problems with keys from cdkeys" because they don't know where they're coming from. The misunderstanding that it's a vague issue is underlining the lack of knowledge people have about the grey market.

The obvious subtext here that goes without saying is that a publisher doesn't want you buying from an unauthorized distributor.

Tohsaka

Everyone and their mother says don't buy from those guys. It is known that they are a grey market retailer, but it goes in one ear and out the other for consumers. No telling how many times that scummy company has be berated on these forums. I don't know how a Capcom rep taking their time to post directly on a forum warning you about your purchase from that is "dancing around the issue."

I think you're thinking of g2a, not cdkeys. I've ordered from cdkeys many times without any problems and I don't think I've seen anyone on here have complaints about them either, really. g2a is the one you should avoid.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh well. I uninstalled the demo. This kind of Amnesia-like experience isn't for me. I thought it'd be cheesier based on what I had seen but it's genuinely unsettling when you play it.

Give it another try.
The VHS tape shows you the way to get the fuse and unlock more of the house the second time around. Go to that switch the first time instead of grabbing the tape and then explore a bit more.

It's really not that scary. I only got jump scarred like once and that was due to the mannequin I slammed into due to the Field of View being small.

Finaika

Man... I played this demo again... I really think this is a cool game but as a hardcore RE fan this game isn't as exciting for me. Like RE1-CV are fucking comforting to play, RE4-6 were fun and entertaining, but this... is just unnerving haha.

I want to like it but its way different than I want. I hope the full game makes me feel good when I play it (cause I'm sure as hell still getting it)

Thisss.

tesqui

Man... I played this demo again... I really think this is a cool game but as a hardcore RE fan this game isn't as exciting for me. Like RE1-CV are fucking comforting to play, RE4-6 were fun and entertaining, but this... is just unnerving haha.

I want to like it but its way different than I want. I hope the full game makes me feel good when I play it (cause I'm sure as hell still getting it)

They better have super comfy save room music in the game. That'd help a lot to build that kind of atmosphere for me. REmake really nailed that save room/ item room mood.

Be forewarned that we're clamping down on gray market key resellers. Don't know where they're sourcing their keys from, but certain retail keys such as ones sourced from Russia, India, S/E Asia, and so on will have activation and runtime lock.

Why exactly? Digital pricing is a scam and maybe if you price them appropriately when you're getting a 70/30% split (which is substantially larger than any retail unit sale) I'd be more apt to buying PC games day one rather than 6 months down the line at 60/70% off original price.

Hmm no matter what I do I can't get the third giggle to trigger. I axed the shit out of that painting but nothing.

Yeah, that happens. But we haven't figured out why yet.

I got it last time I tried (didn't go in the tape, used the lock pick from the basement to get the axe), but the time before that on Xbox One I tried, I didn't get it. Time before that, I did.

Otnopolit

Yeah, that happens. But we haven't figured out why yet.

I got it last time I tried (didn't go in the tape, used the lock pick from the basement to get the axe), but the time before that on Xbox One I tried, I didn't get it. Time before that, I did.

Honestly it just sounds buggy at this point. I had no trouble with this in the PS4 demo. One smack did it. We all are still confused about getting the fifth giggle and it just seems like they didn't playtest it.

Momentary

Banned
All right. For real. I'm going in now. This can't be as unnerving as people say it is. How long does this take to play through?

Like a graphics comparison? I did a quick one earlier. Of PS4 vs High end PC.

Yea. I had seen those ones earlier on. I was meaning more like Digital Foundry or NXGamer.

Still, thanks for those comparisons. I have a PS4 here as well with the demo, and I put the two side by side just to see, but I don't have a capture card to take screens of the PS4 version. Just eyeballing though, they're fairly close at the same resolution. It's really hard to tell what AO is doing if anything at all on the PC version, and I'm not sure if the console versions even have it.

Bumping up the res on PC though and it starts to differentiate itself. It looks really gorgeous. The texture work seems to be largely the same though, and honestly the reflection setting on produces some ugly shimmering artifacts on certain surfaces. The PS4 version is either set to off or variable. So I just set it to variable and it looks better.

What's REALLY apparent though, is just how much less input lag there is on PC compared to PS4. I'm not trying to start anything, but there's a huge difference. Of course, I'm playing on a gsync monitor.. but it's just much much more responsive on PC.

The other big difference that I've seen between the two so far then is the loading time. I started the game up on both... waiting for the "kitchen" vid to start and then pressed start on both at the same time. The PC version just started immediately with no loading, the PS4 took a long time.

So yea, definitely the PC version for me. 4K everything maxed except SSAO and I get 60+fps at all times. I wonder if GameReady drivers will help at all either, or if it will ever get SLI support?

Honestly it just sounds buggy at this point. I had no trouble with this in the PS4 demo. One smack did it. We all are still confused about getting the fifth giggle and it just seems like they didn't playtest it.

Fifth giggle definitely relates to the tape. Most probably relates to seeing ghosts, but going in and out of the tape enough times makes it happen.

Third giggle it doesn't seem to matter. If it doesn't happen when I first swing the axe at the picture, I haven't been able to get it to happen no matter what. Fifth giggle I can always get it to work after going in the tape and trying to spot the ghost enough times.

dlauv

All right. For real. I'm going in now. This can't be as unnerving as people say it is. How long does this take to play through?

5-40 minutes.

Also, I saw a stream where the third giggle glitched before on someone's PS4. Fifth giggle you can get without ever going into the VHS tape (
pick up phone after fourth murder solved
).

Be forewarned that we're clamping down on gray market key resellers. Don't know where they're sourcing their keys from, but certain retail keys such as ones sourced from Russia, India, S/E Asia, and so on will have activation and runtime lock.

There's no ROW version?

Why exactly? Digital pricing is a scam and maybe if you price them appropriately when you're getting a 70/30% split (which is substantially larger than any retail unit sale) I'd be more apt to buying PC games day one rather than 6 months down the line at 60/70% off original price.

They're not going to undercut the retail product just because they get a different cut from digital, but they are able to sell digital keys cheaper wholesale, which is why places like GMG is able to undercut Steam pricing on new releases. The MSRP of digital will always match retail though.

vg260

DOOM was like this. A lot of games are. It's v-sync lag and/or a lack of raw input or something. Upping the sensitivity helps with gameplay, but it never really makes the menus feel A+. If you play without v-sync, the problem's gone but you get screen tearing.

I dunno, it still felt bad to play in-game with vsysnc-off and any other settings I tried. I feel like it will make me queasy. Oh well, I've fiddled enough for now. Pretty disappointed. I may just have to rent it on consoles to play through once just so I don't get spoiled.

Got the coin!

But I'm only gonna try to get the good ending one more time. Otherwise I'm just Youtubing it

I was never the best zombie juker in an RE and it shows

rtcn63

You know what RE7 really needs?

Jake.

Even FFVIII didn't want him

tumblr_lsiuu5NP8x1qeaxzzo3_250.gif

Animator

Those of you getting the coin how are you triggering the third giggle with the painting? Do you remember what you had in your inventory at the time?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Those of you getting the coin how are you triggering the third giggle with the painting? Do you remember what you had in your inventory at the time?

For some reason I've never got it to not giggle. I always have the axe, the VHS tape, the book, etc. All the stuff you need for the previous steps and the axe. Maybe it's the attic key? Since I do have the attic key when I do it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For some reason I've never got it to not giggle. I always have the axe, the VHS tape, the book, etc. All the stuff you need for the previous steps and the axe. Maybe it's the attic key? Since I do have the attic key when I do it.

I didn't need the attic key. You should use the axe to hit the painting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I didn't need the attic key. You should use the axe to hit the painting.

Okay, so not that. I also know that it doesn't matter if you're infected or not, it doesn't matter if you have all bullets or no bullets, it doesn't matter if you've visited the VHS world.

I don't remember if the gun makes a difference or not.

Tohsaka

Make sure you actually read the notebook, it didn't giggle for me before I actually looked at it. I'm not sure if that's the trigger or not but it could be.

Is this working alright with the Steam Controller for everybody? For some reason touchpad as mouse doesn't work on the camera. It works when the mouse is being used as a cursor, which makes it extra weird. I'm using all mouse and keyboard bindings, not trying to mix controller and m&kb, and can't find a solution.

Momentary

Banned
So I'm using BT.709 and my LG OLED55E6P is not changing over to HDR mode like it does for other HDR content. I'm guessing this game doesn't have HDR support yet.

had the occurrence of
Family Man walking past the open door of the room you start out in
a little bit into a fresh playthrough...that along with the music scared the crap out of me

that playthrough ended horribly in the basement..lol

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Again, you're completely missing the point. It's not a matter of "faith" in the retailer. There are literally only two types of distributors. Ones that source their keys directly from retailers/publishers (Amazon, Humble, GameStop, etc) and ones that don't. There is no precedent when every single publisher has completely different policies.

What's vague about it whatsoever? You're explicitly being told they don't know where the keys are sourced from. They're not dealing with them directly. They couldn't go and specifically "cause problems with keys from cdkeys" because they don't know where they're coming from. The misunderstanding that it's a vague issue is underlining the lack of knowledge people have about the grey market.

The obvious subtext here that goes without saying is that a publisher doesn't want you buying from an unauthorized distributor.

It is about faith in the retailer for me. Their codes have always worked before so I have no reason to doubt them now just because Capcom wants me to buy it from a retailer they endorse.

Okay, so not that. I also know that it doesn't matter if you're infected or not, it doesn't matter if you have all bullets or no bullets, it doesn't matter if you've visited the VHS world.

I don't remember if the gun makes a difference or not.
I didn't have the gun, or the valve handle I don't think, and I hadn't been into the tape either, but obviously I had the tape on my person. Definitely hadn't read the journal either.

Dumb question, but how do I get the fps counter to show?

If you're in your game already, press Shift-Tab to bring up the Steam overlay, then along the bottom there's the SETTINGS option. Then click on the "In-Game" tab and then the setting should be there "In-game FPS Counter"

Otherwise you can just do it from the client before you launch the game. Steam menu > settings > In-Game

bumclot

Anyone know the solution to this? I get the error message below and can't launch the demo. I'm not having any issues with my internet connection as far as I can tell.

LCQvOdH.jpg

Neptonic

On mostly medium settings and 1080p my GTX960 is doing just fine holding at around 85 fps. Really great looking game even on lower settings.
Gameplay wise I'm really feeling it. I just hope combat will be a little easier though in the full game, because I'm getting bodied.
well infected at least

Top Bottom