• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

KageMaru

Demo runs great for me and it looks noticeably better than the PS4 version. Only issue I have are the AI solutions. I like how sharp SMAA looks but the aliasing in high contrast areas is a real eye sore. FXAA + TAA looks cleaner but not as sharp. SMAA + TAA would be an ideal option.

Also this may be a stupid question but is 1.5x and 2x on the scaler 1440p and 4K respectively?

renzolama

As far I know,
weaponry is used mostly to incapacitate threats temporarily. Possibly 'boss' fights too, but the demo showed one wasn't needed. Previews also showed that there is also a section in the game that exclusively has you needing firepower to get through a claustrophobic basement gauntlet.

To be honest, RE4 was the first one I ever truly enjoyed due to the environment/action gameplay changes. I played through all the previous games, but they just felt like exercises in tension that I didn't really enjoy as experiences. It sounds like with RE7 they've really worked on finding ways to bring in that shooting/action gameplay without sacrificing tension or threat. That's really cool, regardless of the fact that it might mean that RE7 isn't for me.

BT. 709 is for displays calibrated for standard video, not HDR. If you're on a monitor and with an nvidia card then be sure your driver settings under output dynamic range is set to full and in-game RE7 set to srgb.

Happens on both color space settings, though BT.709 is definitely darker.

renzolama

To be honest, RE4 was the first one I ever truly enjoyed due to the environment/action gameplay changes. I played through all the previous games, but they just felt like exercises in tension that I didn't really enjoy as experiences. It sounds like with RE7 they've really worked on finding ways to bring in that shooting/action gameplay without sacrificing tension or threat. That's really cool, regardless of the fact that it might mean that RE7 isn't for me.

Actually, it's not that bad. Being forced to repeat the everything up to the
basement
segment (before I figured out what to do) several times frustrated me enough that I stopped being bothered by anything spooky pretty quickly. I hope that the full game doesn't include many "puzzle" fail states like that with no manual save option nearby. I'm not against repeating content as a fail state if the gameplay in that content is engaging, but running around picking up items and clicking stuff with them isn't really that. The IQ and performance on my 4790k/1060 is great, I'm a bit shocked that it's a capcom port to be honest. The game wasn't even on my radar and now I'm definitely considering a purchase, so overall I think the demo impressed me.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, that Variable reflection setting? That allowed me to play in 4k again. Constant 60 on max settings except when I'm facing godbeams for some odd reason. Drops to mid forties in that situation.

Still, runs amazing with that setting changed.

Robaperas

Played it for a bit on my i5 4570/RX 470, looks and runs great, I'm impressed with the hands tech, they look very realistic.

07B32BC1AEFE21D46FC9CF333C4A33B9A4D338D8

Newboi

Dang, I've played the demo twice and I still can't get the
third giggle
. Does grabbing
the gun
before attempting to get the
giggle
prevent the
third giggle
from happening?

Zip_it007

Dang, I've played the demo twice and I still can't get the
third giggle
. Does grabbing
the gun
before attempting to get the
giggle
prevent the
third giggle
from happening?

It shouldn't, I've used the gun to shoot the painting to trigger the third giggle.

Kieli

So is the dude
not actually human because how do you survive living in a small space together with Moulded and ghosts and teleporting knife ninjas as a normal human? I mean the dude that punches you in the face when you try to leave.

So is the dude
not actually human because how do you survive living in a small space together with Moulded and ghosts and teleporting knife ninjas as a normal human? I mean the dude that punches you in the face when you try to leave.

Jack? Considering in the main game
he takes shots to the head or being set on fire like he's Nemesis I'd say he and his family have had a few injections

Vibranium

Banned
So is the dude

Jack is basically Nemesis, either a very intelligent BOW or something else. For the people saying there's not enough RE, there's a big throwback to the mechanic from RE3.

Unai

The IQ and performance on my 4790k/1060 is great, I'm a bit shocked that it's a capcom port to be honest. The game wasn't even on my radar and now I'm definitely considering a purchase, so overall I think the demo impressed me.

Most Capcom games have really great ports on PC, though. I'm actually surprised when they don't perform well.

Spinky

So uh, apparently this demo got data mined.

Spoilers are up on Reddit, I have no idea if they're legit. Skimmed through a tiny bit. That's all I want to see.

But if you want to go in blind, be weary I guess.

Kikorin

I'm pretty new at glorious pc gaming, someone know why I can't set 60hz refresh (59...) if I choose 1440p resolution? Also, what effect you decided to sacrifice to play 60fps in 4k?

So uh, apparently this demo got data mined.

Spoilers are up on Reddit, I have no idea if they're legit. Skimmed through a tiny bit. That's all I want to see.

But if you want to go in blind, be weary I guess.

Well, goodbye internet
lol yeah right

SomTervo

So, i don't want to go into the big spoiler dump thread (dat unmarked minefield), but...

Is there anything in the info dump that's cool and not particularly spoilery?

Mark everything, duh.

leder

Neo Member
I'm pretty new at glorious pc gaming, someone know why I can't set 60hz refresh (59...) if I choose 1440p resolution? Also, what effect you decided to sacrifice to play 60fps in 4k?

my 4k tv only does 1440p at 30hz too

2160p and 1080p are fine at 60hz

for 4k on a gtx 1080 I have everything turned up, with SSAO for Ambient Occlusion (HBAO halves the framerate for no noticeable benefit)

Make sure to set reflections to Variable to avoid artifacts on some surfaces
Antialiasing is set to FXAA+TAA

edit: with these settings I get an average of 66fps with a minimum of 50fps, pretty cool for how good the game looks

edit2: if you want to run the game at a resolution between 1080 and 2160p just use the Resolution Scaling option, most games have this implemented now, which allow you to run at 60hz on 4k displays without scrificing performance
setting the scale to 0.5 should put you roughly at 1440p, if I set it to 0.8 my framerate jumps to the 100s

Jawmuncher

So, i don't want to go into the big spoiler dump thread (dat unmarked minefield), but...

Is there anything in the info dump that's cool and not particularly spoilery?

Mark everything, duh.

Not even spoilers really, but lots of weapons, more than just one type of enemy, and bonus modes are confirmed.

jaaz

Is there a sure-fire way
not to get hit by the creature in the basement? 9 times out of 10 he hits me and I have to start all over.

It is without a doubt a Resident Evil game. Undeniable now.

I had success with
grabbing the key first, going straight to the door to kick it, then kiting the creature around the hanging body bag. Hit the body bag into it to stun it, and go for another door kick. Repeat until you can run away, and only grab the wheel if you're completely safe.

Here's what I do.

Once the door in the basement closes behind me, don't pick up anything. Instead turn and start hitting the use key to open it. Staying right there, I keep hitting the use key until the door opens on the second kick.

I go up the stairs and out into the corridor. When I go back down, I don't pick anything up other than the key, and as soon as I take the key, I sprint out. I've had zero trouble doing this without getting hit.

Gren

Is there a sure-fire way
not to get hit by the creature in the basement? 9 times out of 10 he hits me and I have to start all over.
The way I did it was to
kill it. When in the attic, grab the ammo slightly jutting out from under the bed. Then down in the basement, grab the valve, quickturn, & mash the A button to break the door down. Go upstairs & use the valve to get the handgun. Grab the ammo from the bathroom as well as the shelf directly outside it. Go back to the basement, and edge yourself to the immediate right corner & listen for it to spawn (once in a while it may spawn by the bodybags). Line yourself up & unload into its left leg, 6 shots or so & it'll collapse & susbsequently disappear. If you need a few more bullets, ou can use the lockpick outside the basement to open a drawer in the kitchen.

Kinda lengthly process, but I found it easier than trying to run around the creature.

EDIT: Ah, I see there are other far more efficient ways of dealing with it.

Horseticuffs

for 4k on a gtx 1080 I have everything turned up, with SSAO for Ambient Occlusion (HBAO halves the framerate for no noticeable benefit)

edit: with these settings I get an average of 66fps with a minimum of 50fps, pretty cool for how good the game looks

Pretty much my exact performance as well. I've got an i5 6600 OC'd to 3.9Ghz and a 1080. I, too, set reflections to variable and SSAO instead of HBAO and I get pretty much a rock-solid 60 unless I'm moving through god rays for some strange reason where it'll go mid-forties. Rest of the time it's 55+ fps.

I have a 40" Samsung 4k TV ( Samsung UN40KU6300 ) and the refresh rate at 4k and 1440p are both 60 thankfully. I'm REALLY surprised at the performance hit in this demo for Vsync but, man, I don't think I've EVER seen a game with such awful tearing.

Usually I don't even notice it. At worst it's mildly annoying but definitely not a big deal. This game is HORRENDOUS without VSYNC.

Is there a sure-fire way

I already posted this before, but

Start a new game, get the fuse, go upstairs, push the button, get the basement key, run to the basement, get the valve, get the attic window key, run to the door, trigger the semi-cutscene, run behind the bodyback, knock the monster down, kick the door twice and run upstairs making the monster disappear.

leder

Neo Member
Pretty much my exact performance as well. I've got an i5 6600 OC'd to 3.9Ghz and a 1080. I, too, set reflections to variable and SSAO instead of HBAO and I get pretty much a rock-solid 60 unless I'm moving through god rays for some strange reason where it'll go mid-forties. Rest of the time it's 55+ fps.

I have a 40" Samsung 4k TV ( Samsung UN40KU6300 ) and the refresh rate at 4k and 1440p are both 60 thankfully. I'm REALLY surprised at the performance hit in this demo for Vsync but, man, I don't think I've EVER seen a game with such awful tearing.

Usually I don't even notice it. At worst it's mildly annoying but definitely not a big deal. This game is HORRENDOUS without VSYNC.

for vsync you should make sure to have 60fps+ at all times, otherwise it will fall down to 30fps at any framerate inbetween

Horseticuffs

for vsync you should make sure to have 60fps+ at all times, otherwise it will fall down to 30fps at any framerate inbetween
The second I turn it on I go from a constant 60+ with occasional dips to 55 to like 20-25 fps.

There's definitely something buffed there.

I just finished the demo, got bad ending, infected ending, then looked up the true ending.

It was a good experience, but I didn't really feel scared, I haven't played RE since 2/3 a long time ago and I remember they put me on edge.

This however, not so much... even with the lights dropped and headphones on.

Interested though, so will probably grab on launch day.

I played the demo when it first came out on PS4 and thought it was terrible.

I revisited the demo again with the updates on PC and still think it's hot garbage.

I'm still excited for this game because the previews are very positive, but this entire demo idea just seems poorly conceived. It's just obvious streamer bait. Nothing about it is fun or interesting as an actual interactive experience.

edit2: if you want to run the game at a resolution between 1080 and 2160p just use the Resolution Scaling option, most games have this implemented now, which allow you to run at 60hz on 4k displays without scrificing performance
setting the scale to 0.5 should put you roughly at 1440p, if I set it to 0.8 my framerate jumps to the 100s

You have a 4k 30 hz tv? Does it take HDMI 1.4 only?

As a warning, just in case if you ever decide to get a PS4 Pro, but 4k 30 hz the ps4 won't recognize as a legit 4k tv, it has to be 4k 60 hz. I learned that the hard way. At least that's what happened to me.

I have a 28 inch Samsung 4k monitor, and it only does 4k 60 hz through it's display ports. Not through it's HDMI ports.

Just a heads up for you to do some research. I don't know why I posted this, has nothing to do with Re7 but just giving you a shout out.

Unai

I just finished the demo, got bad ending, infected ending, then looked up the true ending.

It was a good experience, but I didn't really feel scared, I haven't played RE since 2/3 a long time ago and I remember they put me on edge.

It's probably because you were a kid. Resident Evil 2 and 3 won't scare you that much if you play them today either.

mario_O

I'm seeing these white dots flickering in some textures. I tried changing some settings, makes no difference. But they are more visible when I use smaa for some reason.

source.gif

Momentary

Banned
Almost got the game to run at a solid 60 at 5K, but it dips down to 55fps. I had to do some massive overclocking. Decided to go inbetween. 4K and 5K. I had to reduce the refresh rate to 120hz and lock the frame rate because the shadowplay video was jittery after the capture. Don't know why it's like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gIMu1crHE

I also get the white flecks as well, but it's not too too bad.

Anteater

is AO even working in this game?

edit: I don't notice it other than the performance drop so I took a pic with the option on and off:

wat1pws5b.jpg

wat225s49.jpg

... I don't notice the effect...

is this a known problem?

SomTervo

No luck with hacking VR in i take it?

Remember the full game will have much larger environments, more enemies, puzzles and combat. This is a proof of concept.

It is without a doubt a Resident Evil game. Undeniable now.

Oh, cool. Thanks!

Top Bottom