• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour demo now on PC [Steam]

Played around 20mins then quit. In my short time I found a few things, but it looks like there's no save point in the game, so I will have to start from the beginning?.

Played around 20mins then quit. In my short time I found a few things, but it looks like there's no save point in the game, so I will have to start from the beginning?.

Yup, every playthrough has to be started from the beginning. No save points since its a fairly small demo, but with a good bit of things to do if doing "everything"

Chumley

Banned
That's a Capcom rep telling you Capcom is clamping down...

Just saying if it happened it would be the first time a key from them has been revoked, I don't recall ever hearing about that ever happening on their site. Last time something like that happened was with GMG I think.

One time it turned out a key was region locked and they refunded me immediately, so I guess the worst case scenario that's what happens here.

The current version of the demo runs at a higher resolution in both regular screens and in VR on the PRO. I didn't notice any other differences when I played it on both, but it definitely has a resolution boost.

Good to know, will expect scorpio love too and maybe even near everything pc has

CloudNein

Is this working alright with the Steam Controller for everybody? For some reason touchpad as mouse doesn't work on the camera. It works when the mouse is being used as a cursor, which makes it extra weird. I'm using all mouse and keyboard bindings, not trying to mix controller and m&kb, and can't find a solution.

The Steam controller doesn't work for me at first launch. Haven't tried to set it up though. It's the perfect type of game for it.

Anyone discovered what causes the marvelous performance of the VHS section unlike the normal day section?

If I was going to guess, (and it's a guess) I think those sections don't run at native resolution, and that it's hidden behind / part of the VHS effect.

Only had a few minutes to try this, but it seems more scalable than I'd feared. Seems like I should be able to maintain 1080p30 at mostly-medium settings on my decidedly less than bleeding-edge laptop GPU (GTX 860m), which is a relief.

Veal

The Steam controller doesn't work for me at first launch. Haven't tried to set it up though. It's the perfect type of game for it.
I've been using the mouse like joystick for this. Feels good. This probably won't need a ton of accuracy anyway.

Skab

Oh man, I love this

Yes. But in reality a pretty short demo. You can get through the whole thing in basically a matter of minutes once you know where everything is.

Jawmuncher

That's a low tier save room theme. But it fits with what the game is trying to do. Something like CVX save room would be rather out of place.

Arkanius

I can also confirm this, one ghost was all I needed.

Do you need to put the key in the backdoor as well? I did that just in case, without going through, as someone told me that was one of the triggers.

I never went into the VHS world and got the coin.
The trick is to use the telephone to activate the last laugh before looking at the doll.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So yesterday when I tried the demo it was running at 144fps and going down to about 80 in some sections. I try it this morning and the frame rate slowly degraded until it was in the teens. Any idea what's causing this?

jimboton

Demo runs great on my setup and also looks great... for the most part. I'm getting a weird effect on shadows slightly far away, as seen for example in the kitchen table when you enter the first time. It's some sort of (black) noise, sort of like crawling, hard to describe. Anyone knows what it is? Tried every refresh rate, shadows and AA option available. 980Ti, no OC.

Tried the Ps4 version as well, it didn't have that.

dlauv

Demo runs great on my setup and also looks great... for the most part. I'm getting a weird effect on shadows slightly far away, as seen for example in the kitchen table when you enter the first time. It's some sort of (black) noise, sort of like crawling, hard to describe. Anyone knows what it is? Tried every refresh rate, shadows and AA option available. 980Ti, no OC.

Tried the Ps4 version as well, it didn't have that.

Toggle "Reflections" to "Variable" instead of "On." Thanks to wbacon for the tip because I had the same problem.

synce

Anyone know the solution to this? I get the error message below and can't launch the demo. I'm not having any issues with my internet connection as far as I can tell.

LCQvOdH.jpg

I believe that's Denuvo.

Thank you Capcom for making my decision to avoid buying the game that much easier

I never went into the VHS world and got the coin.
The trick is to use the telephone to activate the last laugh before looking at the doll.

Strangely I never even touched the phone on my runthrough, although it did take a few runs through the VHS world to get the final doll laugh to trigger. I don’t remember even seeing a ghost even when looking out for it, but likely missed it.

I hope the fun exploration elements like these make their way into the final game even though I’m not setting expectations for a full blown puzzle game. Playing the demo multiple times decreased my anxiety for playing the full game because I think it’s pretty clear they’re not going for full blown psychological terror like I feel P.T. wanted to tap into. RE7 seems like I can play it in the dark without literally jumping out of my seat P.T. style.

Great PC demo, will be picking up the game next month.

b0bbyJ03

So has anyone gotten this to run in HDR? If so whats the process like? I've got my PC hooked up to a GSync monitor but I may just bring it downstairs and hook it up to my TV if I can get HDR

Jose92

[Membe
Anyone know the solution to this? I get the error message below and can't launch the demo. I'm not having any issues with my internet connection as far as I can tell.

LCQvOdH.jpg

If you have a firewall installed on your computer check if the game is being blocked to access the internet by it.

Firebrand

Heads-up jn regards to earlier discussion of cheap keys... GMG are offering an additional 10% off on top of their "VIP" prices (18% discount). Store page says Capcom are their source for keys on this title. Enter the voucher code "WINTER10" during checkout.

Heads-up jn regards to earlier discussion of cheap keys... GMG are offering an additional 10% off on top of their "VIP" prices (18% discount). Store page says Capcom are their source for keys on this title. Enter the voucher code "WINTER10" during checkout.

Thank you for the heads up!

Bolding for prominence

Arkanius

36.89€

A steal I say

jonno394

Unsure if something is wrong with my graphics card or not. I have a gigabyte 1060. When I play with SMAA I get loads of white flickering/shimmering along surfaces like the slime around the end hallway door, or on door handles or joins between draws/the fridge doors. When I turn SMAA off and choose another form of anti-aliasing, this problem disappears.

Arkanius

Unsure if something is wrong with my graphics card or not. I have a gigabyte 1060. When I play with SMAA I get loads of white flickering along surfaces like the slime around the end hallway door, or on door handles or joins between draws/the fridge doors. When I turn SMAA off and choose another form of anti-aliasing, this problem disappears.

It's just the SMAA implementation which is attrocious in this game.

Has anybody tried the interlaced rendering mode? How does it compare to temporal reconstruction? I know that interlaced mode has the potential to double the framerate. I do wonder about the impact to visual quality.

Got the
coin
and the
true
ending, took me about 2 hours (with a guide for the
coin
stuff).

Had some trouble
triggering the fifth one, saw the ghost and interacted with most of the items on the VHS. Went back to the VHS, saw the headphones and looked into the Dummy Finger drawer that I missed and then it worked. :shrug:

What do you mean with the headphones? I can't get the 5th giggle to trigger and I am about to lose my sanity over it.

This is what I do step by step:
1) pull fire place lever, get fuse and place it
2)run right side, get notebook and handgun ammo on shelf and bathroom
3)run up get finger on the way , trigger puzzle and combine hand and finger
4)solve first riddle and grab vhs
5)go down to basement, trigger door and run back and open it.

Now I can't get the monster to despawn no matter what I do so I always end up having to fight him after solving the first four riddles and I get infected. I watched the vhs like 20 times and pretty sure saw 2-3 ghost sightings, did the lockpick thing and interacted with the microwave, fridge and pot. Do I need to be touching everything in the house in the VHS?

Trying to figure out what I am missing :(

The monster
despawns when you get the valve and the attic window key. The easiest way to pull it off is starting a new game, taking the fuse, running to attic to get the key, running to basement, get the valve, get the attic window key, run back to the door, trigger the guy behind the door, run back, knock the monster down with the bodybag, and kick the door twice to open it. Run up the stairs (maybe into the bathroom and get the gun just in case) and the monster should be gone.

There's a pair of headphones up the first set of stairs in the VHS world that you can't interact with but they aren't in the normal world.

Also you can interact with the faucet in the kitchen in the real world but not the VHS one if that counts.

Vibranium

Banned
You know what RE7 really needs?

Jake.

Petition Capcom for Jake in Revelations 3, Jaw.

That Save Room theme is awesome and very different, it's somewhat calm but super grimy and twisted. I like it a lot. I got the dirty coin, going to have to probably have the full game on medium settings with some high options.

Yibby

Has anybody tried the interlaced rendering mode? How does it compare to temporal reconstruction? I know that interlaced mode has the potential to double the framerate. I do wonder about the impact to visual quality.

Interlaced mode looks ok and it gives me +50fps. I went from 85 to ~ 130fps. But with SMAA you get really ugly edges.

normal fxaa, taa :
interlaced fxaa, taa:
interlaced smaa:

I'm gonna download this demo just to test out this interlacing, haven't seen that in a game since the Wii.

I wanna see what it looks like in motion when downsampling.

Piers

I like that the game has a good ending of sorts. Would of been ever better if there was a final showdown/escape on the roof where you can see the beautiful outside world but still risk failing and being dragged back in.

renzolama

I really want to play this game, but I'm also a sissy who hates jump scares and doesn't generally enjoy high anxiety gaming. Do you get enough firepower/ammo in this game to make you feel somewhat equal to the scary stuff threatening you? I need a big gun with lots of ammo to help me from peeing my pants every time I round a corner.

Edit: I realize the demo probably doesn't give any insight into the questions, just figured this was the best place to ask assuming interested folks here might know more about the game in general

Jawmuncher

Petition Capcom for Jake in Revelations 3, Jaw.

That Save Room theme is awesome and very different, it's somewhat calm but super grimy and twisted. I like it a lot. I got the dirty coin, going to have to probably have the full game on medium settings with some high options.

He better come back to me.

I really want to play this game, but I'm also a sissy who hates jump scares and doesn't generally enjoy high anxiety gaming. Do you get enough firepower/ammo in this game to make you feel somewhat equal to the scary stuff threatening you? I need a big gun with lots of ammo to help me from peeing my pants every time I round a corner.

Well, I would say that this teaser is totally not for you, despite there not being many jump scares. It's hard to say anything without spoiling much, but it's pretty much high anxiety all the way.

You do get all the firepower you need to feel exactly equal to the scary stuff though. :)

Cannot comment on the full game though, as I only seen 15 minutes of gameplay but I assume it's survival horror in REMake vain.

Piers

Edit: I realize the demo probably doesn't give any insight into the questions, just figured this was the best place to ask assuming interested folks here might know more about the game in general

As far I know,
weaponry is used mostly to incapacitate threats temporarily. Possibly 'boss' fights too, but the demo showed one wasn't needed. Previews also showed that there is also a section in the game that exclusively has you needing firepower to get through a claustrophobic basement gauntlet.

Top Bottom