• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The many possibilities in the future -

Hypnos_Tyrant2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

latest

latest

Oh yes.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
"Get out of the house"

Game is already treating me like I can't think for myself

The only reason I believe it's possible to get out of the house is because the game keeps telling me to

it is possible, isn't it?

I'll just take your post as an opportunity to address the number of posts in this thread bemused by the discrepancy between a fanbase wanting change then throwing a tantum when they get it.

These two camps are almost certainly not the same people.

Speaking for myself, and basing my opinion on having played the demo extensively- It's just not fun. RE is and always has been fun.

To chime in on this one for a second:

I'm firmly in the 'gimme change' camp but that doesn't mean I just blindly want it to change to anything BUT the recent formula just for the sake of change itself.

I'll be the first one to give it another shot if there's an announcement that proper combat mechanics and so on are indeed in but all I have right now is this teaser and it strikes me as a trendy product of its time. The last major shift with RE4 was really exciting, fun as hell to play and felt invigorating, I'd like a franchise like RE to be innovate and show me new ways to have fun with a game like it did in the past, not copy current trends.

Ok. Played the demo and completed it twice. Seems to be a good game and I enjoyed it, but this doesn't even remotely feel like Resident Evil, at least from my early impressions. Feels more like, the Hills have Eyes, meets Amnesia or Outlast. Graphics and framerate were good even though I did notice some blurry textures here and there, but whatever. Creepy atmosphere and it is nice to see that it had an element of mystery to it. The way they handled the video tape part into was really cool.

I also REALLY wanted a 3rd person RE survival horror game, but I'll keep an open mind and plan on getting RE7. Yeah, it may sound crazy that I prefer this entry to be 3rd person simply because literally every horror game is following the exact same formula, perspective and even look frighteningly similar to each other imo. Resident Evil always to me, had it's own identity, so I think that is why several gamers are complaining about the drastic change. So many games(not just horror) are doing first person perspectives to the point where a lot of games are not only looking similar, but feeling similar to each other.

At first, I insinuated that it would just be a walking, running, hiding simulator, but I think there might be some type of combat in it, at least I really hope it has genuine combat in it. RE without combat to me just isn't RE. I doubt you are going to be weilding Colt Pythons and Rocket launchers in this though. Yeah, despite what people say, it's obvious that P.T. inspired this game from the presentation to how cryptic some of the elements are. It will be interesting to see where they are going to go with this game.

Pejo

Gold Member
I am so damn happy that Kitchen ended up being an actual game. That was the best VR demo I've played so far, for the atmosphere alone. The fact that they're rebooting RE into this, is something I'm actually super excited about. I really didn't like the path RE6 was headed, so I'm all for another direction for the reboot. I doubt there would be so many negative outlooks on this game if more people actually got to play/try Kitchen.

I wasn't able to find the Demo before I passed out last night, so I'm looking forward to it after work today. Still probably won't be the same without VR.

I'm gonna play this tonight, I'm curious. Do you think they're going this way with the RE series because they will be giving us a more classic version of it with the RE2 Remake? So in a way we get something new while moving forward, and we get something familiar with a remake.

Senoculum

People that worked on PT made this

An important distinction that people should be reminded about, lol. C'mon guys, people have been harping on Capcom to bring back HORROR. And FPS horror has been making a HUGE splash right now. Heck, I'm developing a FPS horror game myself lmao.

This is gonna be great. To think we're stuck in the house is absurd, I bet you a million hugs that there'll be laboratories, bosses, and RE.net connectivity. The first trailer for RE5 gave no indication there was co-op for example. There's soooo much potential with this setting and concept. We'll certainly know more come release...

saturnine

Played the demo up to
the tape flashback part.

This is not Resident Evil. Not the tank control era, not the tps era. This is just another first person jumpscare game, like P.T.

edit: I keep an open mind, the game might end up being more than that, but that demo is really meh so far for me.

I'm gonna play this tonight, I'm curious. Do you think they're going this way with the RE series because they will be giving us a more classic version of it with the RE2 Remake? So in a way we get something new while moving forward, and we get something familiar with a remake.

I think it honestly depends on sales. If RE7 sells well, then they will probably continue to go in this direction. I think they want 4 million units out of it? At least that's what I heard. If not, maybe we will see more classic style games.

I am so damn happy that Kitchen ended up being an actual game. That was the best VR demo I've played so far, for the atmosphere alone. The fact that they're rebooting RE into this, is something I'm actually super excited about. I really didn't like the path RE6 was headed, so I'm all for another direction for the reboot. I doubt there would be so many negative outlooks on this game if more people actually got to play/try Kitchen.

I wasn't able to find the Demo before I passed out last night, so I'm looking forward to it after work today. Still probably won't be the same without VR.

It's not a reboot though, it's placed 4 years after the events of Resident Evil 6

reimaging your ip is fine. Plenty of companies have done it successfully in the past. Take metroid prime for example. At the end of the day it was still metroid. In the case with RE7 it feels like its reimagined itself into a completely new ip. Theres no familiarity except "well its horror". Because thats all it takes for an ip to define itself right? Simply being a part of a genre.

Scotia

Banned
Found another
ghost
:

At the start of the tape when the three of you walk towards the kitchen, when Andre tells the guy in the suit that he wasn't an anchor, if you turn around you can see the ghost hanging upside down in mid air for a quick second

Sorry if it was already known

Ashtrax

So I've just finished my first playthough, and I'm thinking that it could be based around
Lord Spencer's family and his original mansion

If my theory is correct, I can see how RE7 could move into this new direction.

Ricker

They could have made this a spin-off, RE:VR or just a new IP.

Why a numbered RE entry

Yeah,you can tell its made with VR in mind but it works pretty well normally as well.As for numbering,why not,people wnted a change from 5 and mostly 6 so here it is.

LOL! at people saying this isn't Resident Evil. As someone who's played the series since day 1, I can say with no reservations that 4 and 5 marked the biggest departures from the established tone of the series. This feels like RE just in a first person perspective.

NeoRausch

Where do you find the
axe?

In the video, wegen your in the kitchen, there is a lockpick on the floor between the microwave and the wall.
Use that to open the drawer on the other side.

Now the drawer will also be open in the non-video part and contain the axe.

Neff

The last major shift with RE4 was really exciting, fun as hell to play and felt invigorating, I'd like a franchise like RE to be innovate and show me new ways to have fun with a game like it did in the past, not copy current trends.

Well said. RE4 was confident and fearless in its mission to step into the unknown. The RE7 demo doesn't feel like a step into the unknown at all. It's an indecisive step on a well-trodden path into other people's games.

I really do hope the game itself is more promising, but I'm not optimistic at all. If that's the case, I can see them doing another demo very soon to combat this icy reception.

CISphil

Neo Member
Do people actually think there's more endings, or are we searching for nothing?
Only leads I have are the headphones in the attic in the video (because why are there modern headphones in the dank old attic) and the fact you can ready the axe with L2, making it seem possible to actually defend yourself.
Seriously can't find anything at this point though and it seems I'm not alone.

NeoRausch

LOL! at people saying this isn't Resident Evil. As someone who's played the series since day 1, I can say with no reservations that 4 and 5 marked the biggest departures from the established tone of the series. This feels like RE just in a first person perspective.

Yupp, feels waaaay more resident evil then anything since 4.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
1. Trying to escape through the back door

2. Phone call "moon, moon"

3. Phone call with different dialogue.

The trailer showcases lots of very interesting scenarios, and endings that are defiantly in the demo. It's just a matter of people finding it. I'm going to try to set my PS4 to June 1st 2017, or 2014.

Moon, Moon? Any idea how you triggered that on the phone?

Rymuth

Well said, I've been with this series since the first game and I am ecstatic we're moving away from 4. That game stunted the series growth

Do people actually think there's more endings, or are we searching for nothing?
Only leads I have are the headphones in the attic in the video (because why are there modern headphones in the dank old attic) and the fact you can ready the axe with L2, making it seem possible to actually defend yourself.
Seriously can't find anything at this point though and it seems I'm not alone.

Defiantly.
Mannequin finger, and the key hole in the kitchen
still haven't been solved. The trailer also showcases a lot that hasn't been found yet.

Hey, so... I just uh, holy shit. So I watched the tape, right? I looked at the note. I went and got the key. I turned to walk out of the starting room, but the door was open, and I saw this zombie-looking mother fucker walk by. Scared the shit out of me because I've played through this a few times already, and I've never seen that.

Yea it feels so much like resident evil with the lack of enemies to actually fight. The lack of weapons. Lack of personality in terms of music and visuals. But hey its its scary and it takes place in an estate and puzzles and items! Because thats all that you need right?

Top Bottom