• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Why does it have to be one or the other? Resident Evil 1 struck a great balance.

We've been shown almost nothing of the actual gameplay albeit a small demo. We have no idea what core features will be there. Relax.

If the full game is exactly like this even if it has scarrier moments than RE1 it isn't as good of a game.
This stuff is okay for budget games, there just isn't enough to it for a main game in one of the bigger franchises in gaming.

Ludens

Banned
Of course ghosts are Umbrella related, but I bet they will "play" exactly like common ghosts.
Capcom should throw even some aliens in the RE lore, explaining with the "it's a BOW" thing.

Solobbos

Here's my sight of the ghost girl in .gif form

3jEI4Yb.gif

Here's the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwYaTA0z9Jg

My main issue with this game is that it's a numbered entry in the franchise, which to me indicates a new direction for the series, much like what Resident Evil 4 did. But whereas Resident Evil 4 was an evolution of the fundamentals set by the previous games, this is a complete overhaul with no mechanical positive. You have less control/mobility, perspective (it's first-person now), and limited combat, all the while being held back by full VR support.

We have no idea what the combat is going to look like or how much there will be.

Now of course the full game will feature a lot more in the way of gameplay depth, but it's still restricted by its first-person perspective. What can they really do with the combat? It'll either play like a standard FPS, which will eventually lead to the player becoming empowered making its heavy horror focus underwhelming, or they'll limit the player in their offensive capabilities and turn it into an Outlast-like situation. Which is great for a fun linear horror filled roller coaster ride, but an actual mechanically driven, replayable game? Not really.

I've never felt like my perspective was restricted in a VR game. Maybe it'll suffer on a flat display, but your situational awareness is going to be improved in VR compared to what you had in something like RE6 should you pop on that VR headset.

And again, there are things to be found inbetween standard FPS and Outlast. There are scary FPS titles like Doom 3, AvP and Undying. You just stick to the standard RE formula of throwing the new problem at the player before they have the solution to that new problem. You switch back and forth between underequipped and empowered in just about any RE game you might care to mention. I don't see why this one couldn't be like that based on what little we know.

To me this is a fun spin-off. A PT inspired, gimmicky Resident Evil game. Not an evolution of the series, because if this is the new direction that they're taking from here on out, then they should have created a new foundation, a new franchise. Not regress an already established franchise.
How can we know it's gimmicky yet? I see nothing gimmicky in the footage they have shown off. Much has been changed. Much looks to stick to hallmarks of the franchise. More than that... there is a lot we don't know.

And I will fully admit that around this time with RE6 I remained open minded and the final game ended up being something I had zero interest in playing. But pointing out that it's too early to make any judgements isn't saying that I won't end up making similar points about the final product to the ones you make here.

But it's still far too early to claim we know what the game play is. To claim we know how it fits into the larger franchise, or any of that.

Certainly we can talk about it being first person and what that might mean. We can talk about it potentially featuring supernatural elements, we can talk about the use of recorded footage... but claiming that we know it'll be held back by VR support or similar stuff... is baseless.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I am going to laugh so hard when this game bombs.

Imagine fans of the series who bought RE 4-5-6, which have sold <20 million combined, and booting the game to find out a first person survival horror with limited combat and no lead character as protagonist. I am sure there are still many people who usually don't keep up with game trailers/news and will just see the logo having "Resident Evil VII" and pick it only to find out it being RE in all but name.
I really don't mind the game, but yeah this should have been a spinoff VR title, the fact that it a sequel to RE6 boggles my mind

What if the story in this demo is the prologue for 7's anti BOW unit to perform an investigation?

Idk just a thought.

It could be a good way to drum up interest from people who don't give a damn about Resident Evil, basically all the YouTube letsplayers who play games like this that cost $5.
And suddenly TGS rolls in and its actually an RE4-6 type game.

Seems like a lot of effort however for a team as big as a typical RE team is it wouldn't take that much to set this up.

Neff

So no one has a problem with ghosts in a resident evil game?

Highly unlikely they'll be actual ghosts since the series' monsters are grounded in science, hence 'Biohazard'. I expect this to be no different to the angle they were pursuing in 3.5 with Leon's chemically-induced hallucinations.

I have a bigger problem with the first person camera, lack of combat and lack of enemies myself.

Imagine fans of the series who bought RE 4-5-6, which have sold <20 million combined, and booting the game to find out a first person survival horror with limited combat and no lead character as protagonist. I am sure there are still many people who usually don't keep up with game trailers/news and will just see the logo having "Resident Evil VII" and pick it only to find out it being RE in all but name.

I'm sure it'll do ok, but the potential is there to hurt the franchise badly going forward unless it reviews spectacularly well.

There's going to be plenty of people buying the game on the name alone and being surprised or even disappointed that there's no co-op or traditional action.

It seems there's a lot more to it, there's a lot of loose ends and people keep finding new stuff. So it seems like it's a puzzle to a bigger thing hidden inside of it.

A friend of mine mentioned that someone posted on 4chan that they'd gotten access to a shotgun and a coin and that they'd managed to bypass the phone death by cutting the wire somehow.

Could be horseshit, who knows?

great...........pewdiepie is doing a vid on the demo

Maybe the hidden ending is Leon suplexing the ghost/zombie woman after she kills guy you're playing, and calling her small time.

Reminds me of those DmC posts where people were like - Dante is gonna show up and beat up the new one...

Just played the demo. Hated it. Capcom had one the best and most fun action/shooters of last gen, 2nd only to Vanquish for pure fun, and turned it into walking simulator. Fuck this shit, into the trash it goes. I wanted an evolution of 6. I also would have accepted an actual return to the series roots (REmake was fantastic) but this is just chasing indie trends with a budget and the RE named slapped on. This isn't RE, not new RE or old RE. This should be a spinoff not a numbered entry.

Akibared

Wanting a game to bomb just because you don't like it is the absolute worst attitude to have.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Resident Evil 1 struck a great balance.

We've been shown almost nothing of the actual gameplay albeit a small demo. We have no idea what core features will be there. Relax.

I don't hold out much hope due to its full VR support. That has already limited it to a first-person perspective, and even if they strike a perfect balance in gameplay, I doubt it will have as much mechanical depth compared to what the previous games in the franchise set.

could easily be a mix of both FPS x 3rd person, first you find yourself in the home wondering where the hell you are, you start to investigate x gather items and then go into 3rd person later in the game

great...........pewdiepie is doing a vid on the demo

That is a worry of mine as a long time fan of resident evil, all the way back to the first when it was released. I'm fine with changes made, from 1,2 & 3 into CV, then into 4,5 & 6, but I hope they are not making resident evil:YouTube S.T.A.R.S edition.

Zambatoh

I was hyped when I saw the trailer last night. But now that I've calmed down, I ended up thinking about this game and demo and more detail, because it's driving me insane just how very different it ended up being from what I expected.

Anyways after watching streams of the game, I'm now convinced that this game is their attempt at finally perfecting what they tried to do with Survivor way back in the day.
Because as I recall the idea was to make a first person horror adventure game, but with the added bonus of being able to alter the events of the story by taking different routes.

In this RE7 demo, we can see something similar in that the family man's appearance is triggered contextually by your actions. Some items are also moved around because of the demo's zapping system.

Of all routes they could've taken with RE7, they ended up going down the route no one expected, but has in fact been done before. I'm actually quite surprised by this and am very curious to see how this turns out.

It could be a good way to drum up interest from people who don't give a damn about Resident Evil, basically all the YouTube letsplayers who play games like this that cost $5.
And suddenly TGS rolls in and its actually an RE4-6 type game.

Seems like a lot of effort however for a team as big as a typical RE team is it wouldn't take that much to set this up.
They already confirmed RE7 is entirely first person so this isn't going to happen.
At least there's Umbrella Corps coming.
Let's disregard one seemingly generic game for another seemingly generic game.

Wait, if people are just going to buy it sight unseen, then how is it going to bomb?

Genio88

Will this demo be released on PC or Xbox One any soon? I hate to watch youtube playthrough, but if it's the only way to experience it...

Jawmuncher

I was hyped when I saw the trailer last night. But now that I've calmed down, I ended up thinking about this game and demo and more detail, because it's driving me insane just how very different it ended up being from what I expected.

Anyways after watching streams of the game, I'm now convinced that this game is their attempt at finally perfecting what they tried to do with Survivor way back in the day.
Because as I recall the idea was to make a first person horror adventure game, but with the added bonus of being able to alter the events of the story by taking different routes.

In this RE7 demo, we can see something similar in that the family man's appearance is triggered contextually by your actions. Some items are also moved around because of the demo's zapping system.

Of all routes they could've taken with RE7, they ended up going down the route no one expected, but has in fact been done before. I'm actually quite surprised by this and am very curious to see how this turns out.

This is gonna be hell for the games canon.

Will this demo be released on PC or Xbox One any soon? I hate to watch youtube playthrough, but if it's the only way to experience it...

This demo is exclusive, but maybe another one for other platforms later.

Again, prior to RE4 we didn't play these games because the writing and game mechanics were good. I'm not disappointed that the mechanics are different and the writing is still B tier.

Nah. Most of the reason the old Resident Evil games are enjoyable is because juggling your inventory, learning to cleanly dodge enemies, and working out the best / most efficient routes through areas so that you can minimize risk. I don't think they are generally as enjoyable as RE4, but they are absolutely mechanically solid games. Unless RE7 is pretty different from what the demo suggests, it is going to be a way sparser, more shallow game than its predecessors.

Spoo

Played the demo through a few times. I was pretty happy that I found the
fuse, and was able to unlock the upstairs
. I know I'm missing stuff, but it's starting to be too hard to figure out.

As far as the dummy finger,
it looks like a key. I thought it would open the small keyhole in the kitchen, but no dice

Overall, I *really* enjoyed it, even knowing that it doesn't show the flow of the game beyond a taste of what we can expect from the puzzle / exploration side. It's quite obvious it will support combat, but the combat encounters themselves will be much more personal, with a horror bent.

I understand why some people think that this will be some kind of Outlast clone, but I really don't think it will be. Outlast doesn't allow for any kind of combat, and this looks like it will have that and that it will actually work pretty well. A very limited inventory means we won't be packing every weapon under the sun; probably just a pistol and a few rounds, that kind of thing. Imagining exploring a manor the same size as the one in the first game in this way, especially in VR, is really exciting. This has sold me on Morpheus.

For those who won't use Morpheus, it's very clearly running at high framerates, and the materials look pretty good. So from a visual standpoint, it's actually pretty good.

The pacing here is pretty good, too. I jumped a few times during the demo, but sure enough, it's not PT level of scary. I don't think it will be going for that -- it'll be very creepy, with scares, but if it's also going to be an RE game there will be a suitable amount of action.

Classic RE style games aren't disappearing. I applaud the change-up here; RE needed it, even if it's going to piss off some people. I'd suggest waiting until we get a video that shows off combat and deeper exploration before getting down on the game, though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
There wasn't much to the demo, but it gives an indication of the atmosphere and tone they're going for at least, and I like it. I like the fact it's a radical change for the series but with a horror focus. Look forward to seeing more and seeing how they handle combat and resource management and the gameplay in general.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
REmake 2 is on the way, so folks whining about this being different from traditional RE still have that to look forward too.

Well they are expecting 4 million copies to be sold. At least a million of the 6 million who bought RE6 is tired of the franchise and also loves first person indie horror games, they are gonna get RE7. The rest of the 3 million has to come from pc or console gamers who are into the said first person horror like Amnesia, Outlast, P.T etc... but was never interested with RE.

So yeah its gonna be another DmC situation where it sold "well" but didn't meet expectations. Or it can barely reach 4 million, depends on what they are going to show in the marketing and of course the reviews. Capcom with their classic move of dividing the fanbase and aiming for the jackpot, which in DmC's case was the GoW fanbase and now with this the indie horror pc gamers.

brau

Played the demo through a few times. I was pretty happy that I found the
fuse, and was able to unlock the upstairs
. I know I'm missing stuff, but it's starting to be too hard to figure out.

As far as the dummy finger,
it looks like a key. I thought it would open the small keyhole in the kitchen, but no dice

Overall, I *really* enjoyed it, even knowing that it doesn't show the flow of the game beyond a taste of what we can expect from the puzzle / exploration side. It's quite obvious it will support combat, but the combat encounters themselves will be much more personal, with a horror bent.

I understand why some people think that this will be some kind of Outlast clone, but I really don't think it will be. Outlast doesn't allow for any kind of combat, and this looks like it will have that and that it will actually work pretty well. A very limited inventory means we won't be packing every weapon under the sun; probably just a pistol and a few rounds, that kind of thing. Imagining exploring a manor the same size as the one in the first game in this way, especially in VR, is really exciting. This has sold me on Morpheus.

For those who won't use Morpheus, it's very clearly running at high framerates, and the materials look pretty good. So from a visual standpoint, it's actually pretty good.

The pacing here is pretty good, too. I jumped a few times during the demo, but sure enough, it's not PT level of scary. I don't think it will be going for that -- it'll be very creepy, with scares, but if it's also going to be an RE game there will be a suitable amount of action.

Classic RE style games aren't disappearing. I applaud the change-up here; RE needed it, even if it's going to piss off some people. I'd suggest waiting until we get a video that shows off combat and deeper exploration before getting down on the game, though.

missed a spoiler mark.

Top Bottom