• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Not yet

I feel like the axe is meant to destroy the mannequins

Also ive never been able to leave the room after taking the phone call

Just hug the wall with your back to it. I don't think that's part of it though, if you play the tape again you can wander around freely. I give up, I'm not sure there's anything there. The one thing I wanted to try was after you get the key you can see someone through the far door but they disappear quickly around the corner. I wonder if you can get them with the axe if you're fast enough? Probably not.

The japanese version is also pretty cool

Ck6pFgFUkAI-Xx7.jpg

Whoa thats great as well. They absolutely killed the logo for both games in this.

Mask

Not sure it has anything to do with finding the hidden ending, but I did notice the piano is unplayable and the lid snaps down before you can do anything if you interact with it.

Still haven't triggered a ghost sighting yet, but I haven't tried. Also, the dummy's finger is very clearly a key of some sort if you look closely at it, but where does it go I wonder?

VAD

Finished my first run in 10 minutes. I'm glad there is more to it than simply
find the key and get out.
The use of video tapes is brillant, it takes the found footage film genre and adapts it for the video games medium.
I wonder how Leon & Co fit in all this.

Randam

Have you seen the first version of RE4? It was full of ghosts. But they scrapped it.
But you can still find videos of it online.
of course I do.
And it did fit back then.
Would have loved the atmosphere, but not the ghosts stuff.

We don't know if there's actual ghosts yet. We really don't know anything
even it is a dream, hallucinations or what ever, I don't want to interact with ghosts in a resident evil game.

I do. I'm just assuming that they write them off as hallucinations and that there's a airborne virus in that house causing it
Sort of like what the itchy tasty guy was seeing before his ultimate turn
Even then. See above.
Ghosts don't belong in re..

Okay, there are seven Ghost appearances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBKXL_Ch0hE (This isn't mine)

So there are 6 Ghost appearances right?

One before entering the house, when Andre and the other dude reach the door.
One when you turn around after entering the house.
One where you look through the window in the Kitchen.
One on the stairs when you search for Andre.
One in the Voodoo Doll room.
One going down the ladder.

I'm curious if there is another appearance in the room with the TV seeing as how that's the only major area to not have an appearance.

What room does she hang her head from again?

KORNdoggy

The question does not have to be "Is this a good Resident Evil game?", but instead "is this a good first person horror game?" And frankly, I was not particularly impressed by it as a horror game. The campy narrative ruins any sense of horror, and the blood & gore are just superficial tricks that have been done over and over again to the point that it's just there rather than being legitimately disconcerting.

If it wasn't for the association with Resident Evil, this would be a forgettable horror demo with an above average budget. We'll see how the final product ends up being, but there's only 6 months to go, so I wonder how much different the final product will be.

People thinking that the issues some are having with this game is because of a departure from the RE4-6 formula are completely miscategorizing the arguments being made.

i think a bigger issue is that it's clearly built for VR. and without VR it's missing a huge element of why i'm confident it will be such a successful horror experience, and a legitimate return to form for RE as a horror series.

Senoculum

It feels weird that Resident Evil is carrying PT's torch.

I think it's super cool. Back in the day, Silent Hill and Resident Evil were always two sides of the same coin to me. Konami and Capcom were like... brothers. For me, I'm absolutely delighted by this new prospect.

Although, I await patiently to see if there's something to "solve" at the end of this demo. Like a secret trailer or something :p

Akronis

So what does everyone think of the demo so far? Think Capcom could pull an entire game of the same stuff off?

I've always been an enormous fan of Resident Evil and I just got around to watching the trailer and boy is it quite the departure from their standard affair.

So what does everyone think of the demo so far? Think Capcom could pull an entire game of the same stuff off?

I've always been an enormous fan of Resident Evil and I just got around to watching the trailer and boy is it quite the departure from their standard affair.

I loved it. But I don't think that this will be what the entire game is. There's an attack button in the demo (R2) and there's an aim assist option. This is also shown in the trailer

vlcsnap-2016-06-14-046fkol.png

So I don't expect it to be like Amnesia, Outlast or other similar games where all you can do is hide and run. The press release mentions that this isn't even part of the main game. This is just what leads up to it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I loved it. But I don't think that this will be what the entire game is. There's an attack button in the demo (R2) and there's an aim assist option. This is also shown in the trailer

So I don't expect it to be like Amnesia, Outlast or other similar games where all you can do is hide and run. The press release mentions that this isn't even part of the main game. This is just what leads up to it.
So it's a FPShooter.

Akronis

Yea I didn't think Capcom would cut out combat altogether, that'd be huge.

Hopefully it'll have a greater balance towards actual survival horror this time.

My main issue with this game is that it's a numbered entry in the franchise, which to me indicates a new direction for the series, much like what Resident Evil 4 did. But whereas Resident Evil 4 was an evolution of the fundamentals set by the previous games, this is a complete overhaul with no mechanical positive. You have less control/mobility, perspective (it's first-person now), and limited combat, all the while being held back by full VR support.

Now of course the full game will feature a lot more in the way of gameplay depth, but it's still restricted by its first-person perspective. What can they really do with the combat? It'll either play like a standard FPS, which will eventually lead to the player becoming empowered making its heavy horror focus underwhelming, or they'll limit the player in their offensive capabilities and turn it into an Outlast-like situation. Which is great for a fun linear horror filled roller coaster ride, but an actual mechanically driven, replayable game? Not really.

To me this is a fun spin-off. A PT inspired, gimmicky Resident Evil game. Not an evolution of the series, because if this is the new direction that they're taking from here on out, then they should have created a new foundation, a new franchise. Not regress an already established franchise.

Ralemont

not me
So it's a FPShooter.

I think the key component here will be the VR. first-person horror isn't being a trendsetter, but a full-on Resident Evil VR experience would be. For that reason I'll probably hold off playing this until whenever I buy PSVR.

My main issue with this game is that it's a numbered entry in the franchise, which to me indicates a new direction for the series, much like what Resident Evil 4 did. But whereas Resident Evil 4 was an evolution of the fundamentals set by the previous games, this is a complete overhaul with no mechanical positive. You have less control/mobility, perspective (it's first-person now), and limited combat, all the while being held back by full VR support.

Now of course the full game will feature a lot more in the way of gameplay depth, but it's still restricted by its first-person perspective. What can they really do with the combat? It'll either play like a standard FPS, which will eventually lead to the player becoming empowered making its heavy horror focus underwhelming, or they'll limit the player in their offensive capabilities and turn it into an Outlast-like situation. Which is great for a fun linear horror filled roller coaster ride, but an actual mechanically driven, replayable game? Not really.

To me this is a fun spin-off. A PT inspired, gimmicky Resident Evil game. Not an evolution of the series, because if this is the new direction that they're taking from here on out, then they should have created a new foundation, a new franchise. Not regress an already established franchise.

Yup

Lime

Thanks for the input Lime and a lot of what you bring up is what concerns me the most.

Sure RE has tampered with the idea of ghosts in the series (see RE3.5 or the prototype RE4) but it seems so out of place in a series so focused on scientific blunders that prove catastrophic on society. And RE's scare factor has always been it's jump scares, it has never truly felt like a full blown horror show and that's why this feels so abstract.

I have my fingers crossed that this will still go to third person outside of VR in the actual game. And maybe there will be more emphasis on combat as a defensive decision like the older games.

Yeah me too. I just hope Capcom makes a good game and they overcome the production problems they are having this generation.

Shauni

Face the truth, there's no supposed ending, this is not PT.

So, what are the axe and finger for? They are just there? Why, what's the point of either? Especially since you have to do something specific to unlock the axe. It just doesn't make any sense. What purpose does this thing even serve then?

Akronis

Why does it have to be one or the other? Resident Evil 1 struck a great balance.

We've been shown almost nothing of the actual gameplay albeit a small demo. We have no idea what core features will be there. Relax.

Lime

i think a bigger issue is that it's clearly built for VR. and without VR it's missing a huge element of why i'm confident it will be such a successful horror experience, and a legitimate return to form for RE as a horror series.

VR is not going to fix the campy slasher horror narrative & tone.

RSB

Banned
I think the problem with this change is that RE1 and RE4 were both pretty much trendsetters for the industry as a whole. This one is completely the opposite on the first glance. Remain cautious.
Yep. At least with the last big shift (RE4) they tried something unique, and they nailed it.

This is not unique (if anything, the first person horror game genre is overcrowded) and they most definitely haven't nailed it (it's pretty mundane when compared to other games in the same genre) The fact that they made the demo so similar to PT (which is basically first person horror perfection) doesn't help either.

Ludens

Banned
So, what are the axe and finger for? They are just there? Why, what's the point of either? Especially since you have to do something specific to unlock the axe. It just doesn't make any sense. What purpose does this thing even serve then?

The axe is to destroy crates of course.
Dunno, just joking, but I doubt there's a hidden ending.
Did someone try to play this with headset on?

Finished it in like 10 minutes. I'm sure there are hidden stuff, but as an experience, P.T. was a million times more intriguing and other-worldly.

This is just slasher horror reminiscent of all the other first-person horror games that rely on gore and blood to scare the player. Personally I am much more into psychological and abstract horror rather than Texas Chainsaw Massacre of
"crazy family capturing a camera crew"
that we see in this game.

If the narrative and horror are going to be this B-tier low quality, then I'd strongly prefer the game just to be campy action horror that the Resident Evil series is known for.

If I was a RE fan, I'd be worried about this. It's cool to experiment, but the execution gotta be on point then. RE4 managed to perfect its new change of direction, which enabled people to embrace the new elements, but so far with this game it seems like a miscalculated design experimentation with flawed execution. Or slasher horror and campy narratives just don't gel for me.

Again, I don't think this is a creative decision to make RE7 into a first-person horror game, but instead because of development problems at Capcom (Pantha Raid) and budget constraints.

It's valid to criticize a game like this for having a B tier story... but it ignores that the B tier story of the earlier games in the series wasn't a design decision either. So... yeah. And 'campy action horror' isn't what the series has always been known for.

But B tier stories? That's been pretty consistent throughout the whole franchise.

So yes... a valid complaint... but not one that says anything specific about RE7 really.

Again, prior to RE4 we didn't play these games because the writing and game mechanics were good. I'm not disappointed that the mechanics are different and the writing is still B tier.

I am going to laugh so hard when this game bombs.

Imagine fans of the series who bought RE 4-5-6, which have sold <20 million combined, and booting the game to find out a first person survival horror with limited combat and no lead character as protagonist. I am sure there are still many people who usually don't keep up with game trailers/news and will just see the logo having "Resident Evil VII" and pick it only to find out it being RE in all but name.

Top Bottom