• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Gameplay Videos & Articles

Nemesis_

I REALLY hope there's a lab of some sort in 7. What we've seen so far of this new engine makes me so excited for the atmosphere they could pull off.

Timeaisis

only thing stopping me from buying this game is the forced FPS. I dont wanna play a first person resident evil game.

If it had a toggle I would be okay.

RE6 had that.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. Looks like a very minimalist Resident Evil, which honestly, I'm OK with, but the first person perspective is really turning me off. Has that feel of lack of control over your character (like Amnesia, et. al.). Also, I get motion sick easy and first person horror games tend to get me pretty good. The Evil Within I felt had a good compromise. It was really zoomed in, you could barely see around you, but you still had the third person character agency that you loose in a disembodied first person perspective.

Eurogamer brought up why the tapes are really one of the best decisions that Capcom have made for the series. They're little one-off stories that enhance the overall story while allowing them to do anything they want. Which means that each one is completely unpredictable.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
I seriously can't wait to play this in VR......and then immediately rip my headset off and play the rest on a normal screen because it will be FREAKING TERRIFYING!!

But Outlast clone? But Capcom must be lying because I bought into the hype/lies of an unproven indie dev's completely unrelated space game??

I mean, the game could fall apart after this or something, who knows and all that? But as the previews seemed to have played about a fourth of the game and they're glowing, we at least know there's probably a very good opening fourth of the game to look forward to.

The 'demo' they played was of the 3-5 hours of the game, of what Capcom claims is a 15 hour game (I'll guess 12-16 hours from some murmurs on the internet).
Yep, at least it seems promising with these previews.

I want to know what happened to Jill after 5 (aside the mail from Rev2)

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Some fans prefer the importance on character and different angle.

I enjoyed the explanation in the GamesRadar video where because it is in first person the main characters actually become the Bakers instead of you.

As a person whose favorite game is Metroid Prime, this game is shaping up to be exactly what I want, especially for the fact that it's in first-person. Prime's storytelling and gameplay through first-person made me focus on those elements more than if it had been in third person or if Samus spoke. It made me forget about that character and as a result I felt more engaged. The subtle times I was reminded of who my character was occurred when rain hit my visor or when Samus took damage and grunted, and each time it was a great reminder that what I was experiencing was so invigorating that I forgot I'm a person roaming this world (in game).

I know for some of you that's a weird mentality to have, but back then Samus was merely a device used to showcase and story tell her surroundings. Her story mattered much less to me than anything else. I suppose that's why I hated it when her silence was broken and she became a pivotal part of the story from Prime 3 onward. It would've helped if it wasn't such crap.

I am curious as to how big this house is? The picture I saw made it look really small compared to the original mansion... but when you see the gameplay there are all of these locales. It makes me wonder if the mansion/ house is only a small part of the overall game in terms of playable area.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Its 60 FPS right?

Yup, 60fps on PS4/Xbox One/PC (can go above).

60fps was needed for PS4 since that's a requirement to work in VR. The RE Engine basically prioritizes perrformance over graphics, and seems to downgrade elements per room to meet the 60fps demand on the fly.

But the game will be 60fps on all platforms. To be honest, I'm impressed how good they got the game looking on PS4 with 60fps (all the videos here are of the PS4 version).

Roubjon

I REALLY hope there's a lab of some sort in 7. What we've seen so far of this new engine makes me so excited for the atmosphere they could pull off.

The game takes place at a plantation right? What better place to hide a lab underground. I'm sure it will end with a rocket launcher to the face of the main baddy and escaping through helicopter.

Dusk Golem

I am curious as to how big this house is? The picture I saw made it look really small compared to the original mansion... but when you see the gameplay there are all of these locales. It makes me wonder if the mansion/ house is only a small part of the overall game in terms of playable area.

It's confirmed there's more than the one house, the preview mentions there's two main buildings they got to play through, but also side locations, like a swamp, a trailer, and a greenhouse.

Jawmuncher

I enjoyed the explanation in the GamesRadar video where because it is in first person the main character(s) actually become the Bakers instead of you.

I do think that is the case here. I said in the other thread that more than likely Ethan overall isn't gonna be that important when put up against other main characters of the series. Wouldn't even be surprised if he died.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The IGN preview has a Firewatch spoiler. . .for whatever fucking reason. Just an FYI.

Also, is it me or does this look INSANELY better than the demo in terms of IQ.

Even aside from the demo being kind of ehh, I always had faith in this game.

Someone needs to make some gifs of that old man smashing the table. Looked sick.

The IGN preview has a Firewatch spoiler. . .for whatever fucking reason. Just an FYI.

Wait, what?

Why? How?

Dusk Golem

It wasn't a Firewatch spoiler, they were mentioning the lady on the phone reminded them of the lady from Firewatch, in RE7 she's someone you want to trust, but as its a horror game you're not sure if you can trust her. She has a sort of likable quirky personality like the Delilah from Firewatch is what they meant, but you also can't help but feel there's something very off about her in the atmosphere of the horror game. You want to trust her but you don't know if you can for RE7.

Dusk Golem

Since you seem to know the most, is this PC footage?

PS4 footage, they say in the videos this was recorded off the PS4, and the build they all mention playing was the PS4 build. Also got to try PSVR for RE7, which is probably why it was the PS4 build.

It looks very good for a PS4 game aiming to be 60fps consistently for PSVR.

If I'm not wrong, Capcom stated in some interview that the game wouldn't take place only in the house.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
NvYpWXm.gif

Nope

fritzo

man this game is creeping up on us so fast. cant wait til Jan 24! love the impressions so far. i just got done playing REMake again and Zero before that. Glad to see RE is returning to that form (I do love 4 & 5 as well). So this won't be delayed at this point I'm guessing. Seems like the game is near complete.

side note: What's the deal with Resident Evil 2 Remake?? Has there been any info since the announcement??

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Even aside from the demo being kind of ehh, I always had faith in this game.

Someone needs to make some gifs of that old man smashing the table. Looked sick.

Wait, what?

Why? How?

It's not an out and out spoiler, but as someone who played a little bit of the game and knew the context of the line it's kind of ruined my interest in going back to it:

They talk about the woman who talks to you on the phone in RE7 and they say (paraphrasing) "It's a bit like Firewatch in that you know something is not quite right, something is up with her. . ."

It wasn't a Firewatch spoiler, they were mentioning the lady on the phone reminded them of the lady from Firewatch, in RE7 she's someone you want to trust, but as its a horror game you're not sure if you can trust her. She has a sort of likable quirky personality like the Delilah from Firewatch is what they meant, but you also can't help but feel there's something very off about her in the atmosphere of the horror game. You want to trust her but you don't know if you can for RE7.

If the only connection they have is that it's a lady on a phone, then that's fine. Hopefully it is as I was hoping to go back to the game.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
The game takes place at a plantation right? What better place to hide a lab underground. I'm sure it will end with a rocket launcher to the face of the main baddy and escaping through helicopter.

Imagined spoilers

Ethan is revealed to be a BOW and transforms into a Nemesis-like hunter at the very end. You then proceed to fight a returning character (preferably Chris). You then get blown up by a rocket launcher to the face.

PS4 footage, they say in the videos this was recorded off the PS4, and the build they all mention playing was the PS4 build. Also got to try PSVR for RE7, which is probably why it was the PS4 build.

It looks very good for a PS4 game aiming to be 60fps consistently for PSVR.

Cool, just have to decide if Pro or PC.

Can a game fail to sell because it's too scary?

No, it would have the exact opposite effect. People like to test their limits.

Dusk Golem

What is the best selling horror game? Anyone know?

The exact info is not exactly known since too many developers keep their sales number to their chests, the closest you'll get is the RE sales numbers (as Capcom keeps their sales numbers public) and the top selling "New IP" entries into horror, which was Dead Space 1 for a while, but then overtaken by Evil Within, and then shortly after overtaken by Dying Light (Dying Light won with 3 million copies sold in the fiscal year).

Resident Evil 5 sold over 7 million copies to date. But if you don't include RE5/RE6, the top-selling 'horror' RE game is Resident Evil 2, which sold 5 Million copies to date.

RE2 may very well be the best selling horror game of all time to date, but to be fair the genre sort of died from the AAA space before the big video game boom of the 360/PS3 era happened. RE7 is actually the first horror game to be released by a big developer with a bigger marketing push. The only thing that sort of compares is Alien Isolation, but that didn't get much of a marketing push (and went on to sell only about 2 million).

Capcom is also really smart for releasing this very close to the final live-action RE film. Love or hate the films, a lot of people watch them, if it has a trailer for RE7 before the movie plays that may help them a lot.

FinKL

It's times like this I wish Blockbuster hadn't shut down. Going to get RE, but would of loved to rent PSVR for this

Anyway footage looking good, but now I'm scared the gameplay will be shallow. The demo we played on the PSN store AND the demo I played at the RE Tour Bus event were pretty similar without much depth. The tension and horror is there which is awesome though.

Sesha

man this game is creeping up on us so fast. cant wait til Jan 24! love the impressions so far. i just got done playing REMake again and Zero before that. Glad to see RE is returning to that form (I do love 4 & 5 as well). So this won't be delayed at this point I'm guessing. Seems like the game is near complete.

side note: What's the deal with Resident Evil 2 Remake?? Has there been any info since the announcement??

They've talked about it a little bit here and there. Little concrete info yet. No director confirmed either. I bet we'll hear more after RE7 has been out for a while. I won't be surprised if we don't see much or at all until E3.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Massive (gameplay) spoilers in those videos. Be warned.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
"The best way I can describe RE7 is that it's Resident Evil REmake in first person."
QONVIyz.gif

fritzo

They've talked about it a little bit here and there. Little concrete info yet. No director confirmed either. I bet we'll hear more after RE7 has been out for a while. I won't be surprised if we don't see much or at all until E3.

it would be cool if after the credits roll on RE7 we get a trailer for RE2 Remake. Make it happen Capcom for the fans!

man oh man this looks good. I'm completely sold. Hopefully there's a ton of great stuff later in the game that changes things up, but so far, I'm very impressed.

it would be cool if after the credits roll on RE7 we get a trailer for RE2 Remake. Make it happen Capcom for the fans!

You're in this pitch black room, then all of a sudden the lights come on and Leon is standing in front of you, wearing the RCPD uniform.

"It's up to us to take out Umbrella"

*rock music plays with the RE2 logo onscreen*

fritzo

anyone else worried about a possible delay of RE7? it seems too close to delay it at this point but you never know. and the guys at Kinda Funny are so sure this will be delayed it has me scared. i don't mind a delay to make the game better, but its soooo close to release.

Top Bottom