• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Even if that is Chris, you can't lie about the fact that the ending had this "throw people off" vibe to it. They could've just made Chris say his name was Chris instead of Redfield, the Umbrella Corporations logo was weird because of Chris' history with wanting to destroy that organization, and obviously the new look. Also, the new tech that they used to match the in game character's face with a real life model was used in a game in which every character was new to the franchise except for Chris. They could do a redesign of the characters going forward, but then how's that gonna work out with REmake2 possibly using the old models? Too much about that ending encouraged people to question it rather than accept everything at face value.

I'm still saying that's not him.

Alienous

Even if that is Chris, you can't lie about the fact that the ending had this "throw people off" vibe to it. They could've just made Chris say his name was Chris instead of Redfield, the Umbrella Corporations logo was weird because of Chris' history with wanting to destroy that organization, and obviously the new look. Also, the new tech that they used to match the in game character's face with a real life model was used in a game in which every character was new to the franchise except for Chris. They could do a redesign of the characters going forward, but then how's that gonna work out with REmake2 possibly using the old models? Too much about that ending encouraged people to question it rather than accept everything at face value.

I'm still saying that's not him.

I don't think the game was throwing people off.

"I'm Redfield" is as recognizable as "I'm Chris", if not more. If he said "I'm Chris" people would be saying "Well, he didn't say Chris Redfield".

Showing the Umbrella logo, in my perception was to say, "Well, Chris Redfield just saved you and DUN-DUN-DUNNNN he's working for Umbrella. Good night y'all, see you when the DLC comes out".

The face model, as has been discussed, was probably the consequence of having to use an actual actor's face. Especially seeing as he was basically a bookend nod I can't imagine they would go through much of an effort to find a complete match. It seems, and makes sense, that the DLC would have that as more of a priority.

I think the combination of the face and voice is what threw people off. If he had a recognizable voice, as he does in the Japanese version, people probably wouldn't have been nearly as confused. The problem, really, is that Chris has no recognizable physical characteristics that distinguishes him from other brown-haired caucasian males, so his appearance is easily lost in translation.

Jawmuncher

Literally I think we can sum it up like this.

The ending was originally supposed to be "oh wow that's chris!" But do to the new engine and actor scanning, they realized they fucked up on the face and it was too late to change it. Which is the only reason the whole "is that even him?" Thing started.

If it was the exact same scene but it was exactly the model from RE6 no one would question it. Just capcom screwing the pooch. Rather than trying to make some cool twist.

I don't think the game was throwing people off.

"I'm Redfield" is as recognizable as "I'm Chris", if not more. If he said "I'm Chris" people would be saying "Well, he didn't say Chris Redfield".

Showing the Umbrella logo, in my perception was to say, "Well, Chris Redfield just saved you and DUN-DUN-DUNNNN he's working for Umbrella. Good night y'all, see you when the DLC comes out".

The face model, as has been discussed, was probably the consequence of having to use an actual actor's face. Especially seeing as he was basically a zinger I can't imagine they would go through much of an effort to find a complete match. It seems, and makes sense, that the DLC would have that as more of a priority.

I think the combination of the face and voice is what threw people off. If he had a recognizable voice, as he does in the Japanese version, people probably wouldn't have been nearly as confused. The problem, really, is that Chris has no recognizable physical characteristics that distinguishes him from other brown-haired caucasian males, so his appearance is easily lost in translation.

Idk the title of the DLC "Not a Hero" also pushes the idea that he may not be who we think it is. This genuinely feels like the staff wanted people to craft theories on who that may be. It's hard for me to have this "well all of this is completely rational and here's why" mentality on this when this is Resident Evil at the end of the day.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If the DLC has us
rescuing people
, then I don't see how it could be Hunk. It has to be Chris I think.

Kazuhira

God damn it, sounds like we're going back to the ship :/

Lets hope it's just for a brief moment,i really like the ship but doing it for a third time..ugh no thanks.
At least they are expanding on the mines,which i think it's a pretty short and simple area but a really cool looking one.

Alienous

Idk the title of the DLC "Not a Hero" also pushes the idea that he may not be who we think it is. This genuinely feels like the staff wanted people to craft theories on who that maybe. It's hard for me to have this "well all of this is completely rational and here's why" mentality on this when this is Resident Evil at the end of the day.

The title 'Not a Hero' pushes the idea of the real Chris working for Umbrella much more than "I'm not Chris", at least to me.

myco666

Idk the title of the DLC "Not a Hero" also pushes the idea that he may not be who we think it is. This genuinely feels like the staff wanted people to craft theories on who that maybe. It's hard for me to have this "well all of this is completely rational and here's why" mentality on this when this is Resident Evil at the end of the day.

How exactly does "Not a Hero" push the idea of it not being Chris? To me that is way more into the direction of it being Chris since if it is someone else (a villain in most theories or atleast person working for villains) it wouldn't make sense to have a title "Not a Hero" as we wouldn't even assume the guy was a hero in the first place. It is much more in the "this guy is a hero we know but isn't one now" or something in that direction.

How exactly does "Not a Hero" push the idea of it not being Chris? To me that is way more into the direction of it being Chris since if it is someone else (a villain in most theories or atleast person working for villains) it wouldn't make sense to have a title "Not a Hero" as we wouldn't even assume the guy was a hero in the first place. It is much more in the "this guy is a hero we know but isn't one now" or something in that direction.

I interpreted the title in a simple way. Chris is known as a hero, that's suppose to be Chris at the end, then we play the DLC and he turns out not to be Chris. It's Resident Evil. With the amount of batshit insane stuff that's possible in this universe, I ain't throwing out the possibility that this guy is someone else lol.

Kazuhira

It would be nice to see Hunk with a main role for once,that badass mofo deserves it.
I was almost convinced that he was Alex Wesker.

Hunk is the only RE3 epilogue character not to appear in a major way in a game after that.

Capcom pls.

The first trailer for Revelations got me so hyped :(

myco666

I interpreted the title in a simple way. Chris is known as a hero, that's suppose to be Chris at the end, then we play the DLC and he turns out not to be Chris. It's Resident Evil. With the amount of batshit insane stuff that's possible in this universe, I ain't throwing out the possibility that this guy is someone else lol.

So "Not a Hero" = "Not a Chris" basically? And while RE is crazy at times I think that would be just dumb and not even a good or interesting twist. So I really don't think it will be someone else.

Then again this game had Revelations people working on it so I guess it is possible to have a dumb twist.

So "Not a Hero" = "Not a Chris" basically? And while RE is crazy at times I think that would be just dumb and not even a good or interesting twist. So I really don't think it will be someone else.

Then again this game had Revelations people working on it so I guess it is possible to have a dumb twist.

Yeah pretty much. I'm not even opposed to the redesign. I'm just going off of my initial reaction to the ending after playing RE games for most of my life. You play REmake, Code Veronica, RE5, RE6, and see the Vendetta trailer then BAM complete redesign for RE7. My first thoughts were "the game has to explain who this guy is" not "well I guess that has to be him because of the technology they're using and getting a new voice actor."

Think about the casual RE fan who doesn't browse forums like NeoGAF. They played a lot of RE games, but may not know or care to know about the development of those games. How are you gonna explain to them that he's Chris? Is there gonna be a cutscene that shows the process of matching the actor's face with Chris' in game model or could they just do something story related?

My biggest problem with Chris is that it makes the RE universe feel so much smaller if he is a protagonist again. IMO out of all the characters I want his return the least. RE1, CV and 5 gives a good arc for him and he was in 6. I don't need any more Chris now.

myco666

Yeah pretty much. I'm not even opposed to the redesign. I'm just going off of my initial reaction to the ending after playing RE games for most of my life. You play REmake, Code Veronica, RE5, RE6, and see the Vendetta trailer then BAM complete redesign for RE7. My first thoughts were "the game has to explain who this guy is" not "well I guess that has to be him because of the technology they're using and getting a new voice actor."

Think about the casual RE fan who doesn't browse forums like NeoGAF. They played a lot of RE games, but may not know or care to know about the development of those games. How are you gonna explain to them that he's Chris? Is there gonna be a cutscene that shows the process of matching the actor's face with Chris' in game model or could they just do something story related?

Complete redesign? It isn't that far off from what it has been in my opinion.

Don't really know why Capcom needs to explain more. Just say it is Chris and thats it. Thats what they did with RE5 when he got redesign.

My biggest problem with Chris is that it makes the RE universe feel so much smaller if he is a protagonist again. IMO out of all the characters I want his return the least. RE1, CV and 5 gives a good arc for him and he was in 6. I don't need any more Chris now.

I love me some Chris but agreed. Should have been someone else but he is probably best known character in RE.

Complete redesign? It isn't that far off from what it has been in my opinion.

Don't really know why Capcom needs to explain more. Just say it is Chris and thats it. Thats what they did with RE5 when he got redesign.

The reddish hair is what threw me off and probably a lot of other people. That's what led to the Hunk theories.

Hunk is pretty badass in Operation Raccoon City.

Unrelated (?) image

Hunk_on_school_site.jpg

The explanations for why someone would lie about being Chris is more far fetched than the reasons why he really is Chris.

If he is some evil dude, why would he lie? It's not like Ethan has a choice in the matter where they couldn't kidnap him by force. He's exhausted and surrounded by dudes in military gear and guns.

Top Bottom