• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Kazuhira

Well well,21 is pretty fun! i was winning pretty smoothly against Hoffman then Lucas started to play and everything went to shit,sob always has 20 or 21.
Daughters was too damn short,i feel ripped off with that one..btw,what am i supposed to do with the broken bottle?
Bedroom was pretty good too,short but really entertaining.

If Ethan comes back, I hope we get much more character stuff with him, like his backstory or whatever, but we still never get his face lol.

That'd be the biggest fucking troll. I'd love it. Like, it kinda becomes a joke in-game.

If we get another protagonist though and he's also faceless, yeah fuck that.

myco666

Well well,21 is pretty fun! i was winning pretty smoothly against Hoffman then Lucas started to play and everything went to shit,sob always has 20 or 21.
Daughters was too damn short,i feel ripped off with that one..btw,what am i supposed to do with the broken bottle?
Bedroom was pretty good too,short but really entertaining.

21 is fun until you play Survival+. And yeah daughters really feels like a rip off.

kc44135

I definitely think we need actual cutscenes. One they help with speed runs since they can be skipped. Yep they help with playable character development if we look at how the RE7 cutscenes were. The only problem is the VR support. But that's a small price to pay for good cutscenes.

Capcom has a great eye for cutscenes, with RE5 being one of their best examples.

Ah, I forgot about VR. I guess transitioning to third-person for cutscenes could be awkward. Still, I think actual cutscenes could benefit future first-person RE's. As you said, Capcom can do really great cutscenes, and they've consistently been great throughout the series.

I definitely think we need actual cutscenes. One they help with speed runs since they can be skipped. Yep they help with playable character development if we look at how the RE7 cutscenes were. The only problem is the VR support. But that's a small price to pay for good cutscenes.

Capcom has a great eye for cutscenes, with RE5 being one of their best examples.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Because of the changes, if this direction keeps going. This series might become the best VR horror series of all time.

I don't know what to feel about that, honestly.

tootie923

Zoe got jack shit in character building department while Mia got ample amounts of meh.

I definitely felt like something was missing with Zoe after all the build-up over the phone conversations. As soon as I saw the choice between them, it felt way too rushed, like major parts of her story had been cut out.

Sesha

All of the female characters felt underwritten in some way, IMO.

THIS ETHAN

resident_evil_7___ethan_winters_by_malkaviansoul-daz86jd.png

Apparently it's his model being used in Blender with Photoshop and XNALara. http://malkaviansoul.deviantart.com/art/Resident-Evil-7-Ethan-Winters-663830041

Looks like Kyle Bosman did the fusion dance with Milo Yannopolis or whatever his name is.

Really enjoyed daughters. Got even sadder about the Bakers when I read Mia's warning. Damn.

Still confused about why Zoe never got fully mind-controlled like Jack and Marguarite.

Jawmuncher

Finally got done with all of the modes. Overall a lot of this does feel like it should've been in the game after completion, and the only reason they weren't was to get some of that DLC money. I do think it wasn't all ready before the game went gold, but this was more than likely due to the inclusion of the bonus modes to Survival, 21, and such. Regardless this is how i'd rate each individual DLC.

Bedroom - Probably the best one, but it has basically 0 replay value. Especially if you get the rats. It was a nice little story bit though for clancy. Very similar to Happy Birthday.

Nightmare - Not too bad of a survival mode. The RE7 mechanics don't make it the tightest thing ever. But it wasn't bad. Don't have much interest in going back though.

Ethan Must Die - Unless you really want that achievement don't bother. Overly difficult with RNG basically needed to win. No thanks.

21 - I like the setting, and card gameplay but RNG impacts if you win or not. It then starts to drag if said RNG isn't on your side. There's extra modes to this as well. But once again, unless you really want achievements there's no reason to bother.

Daughters - This was an interesting idea I feel was executed poorly. There should have been much more care in presenting the changing of the bakers than what we see here. It's like flipping a switch and I think it just doesn't work.

Jack's 55th Birthday - Decent little bonus mode, though I think it's weaker than the survival mode. This is an attempt at giving the game it's own sort of "Mercs" mode but it doesn't have anywhere close to the variety and gameplay of that. The majority of it comes from just learning a map and the best route to take. Which you could argue is a strategy of mercenaries. But you can get S ranks in mercs without even killing all of the enemies so that element isn't really all that important. So jack's birthday falls kind of flat, but I give it props for the goofiness.

I would say the content packs are a lot like the regular game for me. A decent time going through them the first time. But after that, I don't have much reason to go back. Overall these two content packs aren't bad. But definitely not with the 25 bucks they are if bought solo. I would say both back at most should be $15 bucks together. It'll all depend on just how worthwhile the last DLC is. Since for 30 for all of it. The price of that final DLC might balance out the total of 30 for the season pass.

I really hope Not a Hero and the last DLC really deliver. So far RE7 even with all of the DLC includes sits as a 7/10 game for me.

Ah, I forgot about VR. I guess transitioning to third-person for cutscenes could be awkward. Still, I think actual cutscenes could benefit future first-person RE's. As you said, Capcom can do really great cutscenes, and they've consistently been great throughout the series.

I think straight up 3rd person cutscenes would be terrible, it's just a dead giveaway that nothing's going to happen to you because you have no control (unless they try to add 4-6 stuff like QTEs and chapter breaks, which would mess with the flow of this game). Keep the first person scenes, but let you skip them.

myco666

Finally got done with all of the modes. Overall a lot of this does feel like it should've been in the game after completion, and the only reason they weren't was to get some of that DLC money. I do think it wasn't all ready before the game went gold, but this was more than likely due to the inclusion of the bonus modes to Survival, 21, and such. Regardless this is how i'd rate each individual DLC.

Bedroom - Probably the best one, but it has basically 0 replay value. Especially if you get the rats. It was a nice little story bit though for clancy. Very similar to Happy Birthday.

Nightmare - Not too bad of a survival mode. The RE7 mechanics don't make it the tightest thing ever. But it wasn't bad. Don't have much interest in going back though.

Ethan Must Die - Unless you really want that achievement don't bother. Overly difficult with RNG basically needed to win. No thanks.

21 - I like the setting, and card gameplay but RNG impacts if you win or not. It then starts to drag if said RNG isn't on your side. There's extra modes to this as well. But once again, unless you really want achievements there's no reason to bother.

Daughters - This was an interesting idea I feel was executed poorly. There should have been much more care in presenting the changing of the bakers than what we see here. It's like flipping a switch and I think it just doesn't work.

Jack's 55th Birthday - Decent little bonus mode, though I think it's weaker than the survival mode. This is an attempt at giving the game it's own sort of "Mercs" mode but it doesn't have anywhere close to the variety and gameplay of that. The majority of it comes from just learning a map and the best route to take. Which you could argue is a strategy of mercenaries. But you can get S ranks in mercs without even killing all of the enemies so that element isn't really all that important. So jack's birthday falls kind of flat, but I give it props for the goofiness.

I would say the content packs are a lot like the regular game for me. A decent time going through them the first time. But after that, I don't have much reason to go back. Overall these two content packs aren't bad. But definitely not with the 25 bucks they are if bought solo. I would say both back at most should be $15 bucks together. It'll all depend on just how worthwhile the last DLC is. Since for 30 for all of it. The price of that final DLC might balance out the total of 30 for the season pass.

I really hope Not a Hero and the last DLC really deliver. So far RE7 even with all of the DLC includes sits as a 7/10 game for me.

I don't think RNG is actually that big of a factor in 21. Or then I just got super lucky when I did Survival+ first try losing only two rounds.

Even EMD seems to be doable despite the RNG element. Just that you need to be very creative if you don't get some stuff early enough.

I don't think RNG is actually that big of a factor in 21. Or then I just got super lucky when I did Survival+ first try losing only two rounds.

Even EMD seems to be doable despite the RNG element. Just that you need to be very creative if you don't get some stuff early enough.

Once you understand how the game works and unlock a few trump cards it's really just about playing your cards right. The AI is too dumb to be an actual threat.

Once you get a lot of the trump cards it's easy to clear Survival+ without being hit.

Does anyone have any idea who this might be? It's a model hidden in the DLC files, but I don't recall seeing anything like this ingame.
1 2 3 4

[Possible spoilers if you don't want to know anything about the model at all, just in case it might be used in one of the future DLCs]
My first thought went to the Mia closeup at the end of the Beginning Hour demo, but she's wearing completely different clothes, has different hair, face structure looks different and Mia is definitely thinner than this.

Unused/testing model or something that might appear in Not a Hero/future DLCs?

Jawmuncher

Does anyone have any idea who this might be? It's a model hidden in the DLC files, but I don't recall seeing anything like this ingame.
1 2 3 4

[Possible spoilers if you don't want to know anything about the model at all, just in case it might be used in one of the future DLCs]
My first thought went to the Mia closeup at the end of the Beginning Hour demo, but she's wearing completely different clothes, has different hair, face structure looks different and Mia is definitely thinner than this.

From what we know of not a hero, I don't think it'll be that. I'm going to bet on unused or part of the other DLC we don't know much about.

myco666

Once you understand how the game works and unlock a few trump cards it's really just about playing your cards right. The AI is too dumb to be an actual threat.

Once you get a lot of the trump cards it's easy to clear Survival+ without being hit.

Yep. I did lose in the regular Survival in last opponent so I got few things unlocked before trying Survival+. Kinda want to go and unlock all the remaining cards but the Survival+ took one hour last time so don't really want to do it again lol.

From what we know of not a hero, I don't think it'll be that. I'm going to bet on unused or part of the other DLC we don't know much about.

Yeah, having read about Not a Hero's contents I doubt it'll be used for that one, but if it's for the last DLC it's weird it's already been added to the game files. I can most certainly say that the model wasn't in the main game's files though, that's for sure.

OmegaX0

1 2 3 4

Looks a lot like the demo ghost, though the dress is slightly longer.

13392747_716234761813265_1537365659_n.jpg

Lernaean

Banned
Looks a lot like the demo ghost, though the dress is slightly longer.

BH ghost has been extracted and was Mia i believe.
Or to be more precise, i have seen its Mia from a guy who posted the demo models on Deviantart.

This new model is not exactly Mia.

Yep. I did lose in the regular Survival in last opponent so I got few things unlocked before trying Survival+. Kinda want to go and unlock all the remaining cards but the Survival+ took one hour last time so don't really want to do it again lol.

It took my fourth run through Survival+ until I finally saw Mr. Big Head. Then he played the trump card that let him escape and I couldn't get rid of it (burnt all of my destroy cards on the last round because of the 21 bet cards). I was so damn mad. I don't think I can get all of them.

dlauv

Even though Ethan is a little strange in terms of personality, I like the idea of milquetoast man stuck in anime redneck hell.

I haven't gotten to play the DLC too much because I've been so busy, but I like the stream of unlocks in Jack's 55th. It's one of the more uplifting modes in games that I've played.

Jawmuncher

Even though Ethan is a little strange in terms of personality, I like the idea of milquetoast man stuck in anime redneck hell.

I haven't gotten to play the DLC too much because I've been so busy, but I like the stream of unlocks in Jack's 55th. It's one of the more uplifting modes in games that I've played.

The fact that unlocks are tied to only that mode is pretty disappointing. Would have been a lot better if it was like Mercs in RE3

ckohler

Near the end when Jack explains to Ethan what happened to his family, was that telepathy or a memory? It's not clear how Ethan got there so I'm assuming he never did and it was in his head or something.

emb

Near the end when Jack explains to Ethan what happened to his family, was that telepathy or a memory? It's not clear how Ethan got there so I'm assuming he never did and it was in his head or something.
Timing of that scene felt really weird, what with Jack being serum'd right before that.

The two possibilities that came to mind for me:

1. Victims of Evie's control have their subconscious absorbed into her being, and they kind of share a mental space.

2. It was just a dream Ethan had. There were plenty of clues around the house, about the regular life they had before things got bad - Ethan's mind could conjure up this vision. Wouldn't explain Jack's comment about Lucas though.

Jacob4815

I think it was a flashback memory and that scene occured when Zoe attached the hand to Ethan (we saw the scene only for few seconds in the game, but the chair and the room look the same), maybe with Jack's assistance.
We know from the DLC Daughters than the family members alternate insane and normal states. And Mia has the same behaviour.

Jack tells the truth to Ethan but Evelyne removes that memory.
And probably the memory is restored when Mia saves Ethan in the ship.

Just my theory.

HOLY FUCK
THIS GAME
THIS FUCKING GAME
I went in with decent expectations and some hype
BUT I WAS BLOWN AWAY

My best friend who got the game before me is stuck near Mrs Baker's second form. I told him he NEEDS to DROP EVERYTHING she is playing and ONLY focus on RE7.

JESUS FUCK, when you get to the ship yard, that part through the rest of the game gets EVEN BETTER.

As I was approaching Evelyn and her final form during the last battle, I could not hold in my EXCITEMENT. I was, for the first time in a LONG time actually like shouting in excitement.

I am so, SO HAPPY, I played this game. I haven't been this positive and emotionally connected to a game since I first played the Metal Gear Solid series (and to a point The Last of Us). DEFINITELY in my top 5 games of all time!

emb

I am so, SO HAPPY, I played this game. I haven't been this positive and emotionally connected to a game since I first played the Metal Gear Solid series (and to a point The Last of Us). DEFINITELY in my top 5 games of all time!
I love the enthusiasm!

I was really happy with the game. I have a few minor issues with it, but for the most part I feel like it's an instant classic. Great atmosphere, great characterization (of the Bakers, outside Zoe), great VR implementation (this feels like a big deal for the timing, though I got too scared to stick with it!), and enough nods to RE to make it feel right at home.

Venturing into Evie's room was a top tier moment. Not for what really happens inside, but for the fear I had of what might happen. Getting back to the Guest House was great, finding the dolls and the Granny picture that meant nothing to me the first time through.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I wish I liked the game that much.
Won't even be in my favorites of the year unless the rest of the year is unbelievably whack

I really hope for you, that you'll get a new RE6 like game. All tastes are in the wild man. May Revelations 3 be RE6 like!

Kazuhira

EMD ain't that bad like some people told me,i expected some real RNG bullshit but nah...
The explosive boxes are the only frustating thing so far but that hint in the loading screen pretty much solved the issue.
I haven't completed it yet so i may change my mind later but it reminds me a lot of RE3 mercs.

HOLY FUCK
THIS GAME
THIS FUCKING GAME
BUT I WAS BLOWN AWAY

My best friend who got the game before me is stuck near Mrs Baker's second form. I told him he NEEDS to DROP EVERYTHING she is playing and ONLY focus on RE7.

JESUS FUCK, when you get to the ship yard, that part through the rest of the game gets EVEN BETTER.

As I was approaching Evelyn and her final form during the last battle, I could not hold in my EXCITEMENT. I was, for the first time in a LONG time actually like shouting in excitement.

Someone else who loved the ship!

Agreed on all fronts, absolutely in love with this game <3

Jawmuncher

I really hope for you, that you'll get a new RE6 like game. All tastes are in the wild man. May Revelations 3 be RE6 like!

I definitely would love to see more action RE. On the other hand though I like the base of RE7. They have something here I think with some more refinement could work out really well. I'm excited to see what they do with RE8. If they can offer more of what I feel is the classic style throughout, and a story that appeals more to me I should be golden.

I don't hate RE7 like it seems. I'm just really critical of it. Since unlike the other titles, I see so much squandered potential. The stuff I like I really like, but the stuff I don't drags it down too much for me to ignore it.

emb

What are you talking about?

The ship was great.
Imo, the opening part of the ship was great. Going into an extremely dark, extremely creepy ship as Mia searching for Ethan with no supplies was wonderful.

It kinda dragged on though. After you get all armed up it became less interesting. There were still a lot of cool story bits around the area though.

myco666

The ship was great.

Good stuff

Kinda fun 'puzzles' in order to progress.

Bad stuff

Opening section: Long walk with no items to pick up and no reason to explore. Also no weapons and have to sneak past enemies at the end of it.

VHS: You get calls from whats-his-face that interrupt your movement.

Back in the present: Have to go through the same areas you just went through. Your guns are also awful. Especially the machine gun.

Also that section has bunch of Eveline which isn't really a great character.

Obviously opinions can be different.

HOLY FUCK
THIS GAME
THIS FUCKING GAME
BUT I WAS BLOWN AWAY

Someone else who loved the ship!

Agreed on all fronts, absolutely in love with this game <3

I thought the ship part was awesome. The game badly needed a change of pace/setting at that point, I was just teetering on the edge of getting bored with the Baker compound then bam new area, felt really well done.

The ship was great.

The ship is fine. The level design is quite good, but the pacing is kinda whack with the forced video tape breaking things up, and the game desperately, desperately needed some new enemies, threat, or some other tweak at that point in the game. The ship is also a lot less visually interesting since almost every room looks the same and doesn't have the amount of individualized storytelling the locations on the baker estate had.

But I was more taking umbrage with the fact he/she said that the game got even better with the ship and rest of the game. I LIKE the ship overall, but better than the Baker home? Not by a long shot. And then the rest of the game after the ship just sucks.

Kazuhira

I think warning the Bakers with a letter was a dick mode,she knew the house wasn't safe and insisted to stay in the trailer.
She was literally face to face with Jack and Marguerite and never said a word,i hate Mia even more now.
Also,the letter gave me the impression that she was ready to run and leave the Bakers behind with all the mess.

Top Bottom