• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

On the whole Chris/HUNK thing;

First, a question. Did I read something about Chris and Ethan talking before the ending? I feel like I either misread or I missed something earlier in the game.
No, you listen to a radio that sounds like "Redfield" talking about shoot to kill and such.

Chris Redfield and Jill are founders of the BSAA so maybe the name is widely recognizable.
I mean a redneck family in Louisiana has the former BSAA chief's book.

JayEH

I wonder why there are 5 different voice actors for Chris Redfield in Japanese, compared to the one for English?

X2lcMMj.png

YEcDqof.png

Maybe they mixed 5 actors together to form a new voice that is still somewhat familiar? Would lend credence that this isn't actually Chris.

What happens in Ending A? I got Ending B on my first playthrough, and I'm not even sure what the ending requirements are... My best guess is that it completely relies on your choice of who to cure before the sunken ship? According the trophy data, Ending B is still "ultra rare," so I don't know if it's because people still haven't wrapped the game or if it's because I was in a very low minority on who I picked (Zoe)?

What happens in Ending A? I got Ending B on my first playthrough, and I'm not even sure what the ending requirements are... My best guess is that it completely relies on your choice of who to cure before the sunken ship? According the trophy data, Ending B is still "ultra rare," so I don't know if it's because people still haven't wrapped the game or if it's because I was in a very low minority on who I picked (Zoe)?

Pick Mia,

I picked Zoe as well and was bummed to see immediately that it doesn't matter. Seems like Zoe is destined to die/be left behind no matter what. When I was in control of Mia I knew immediately that giving Mia the serum is the "canon" choice. Even then I assume she still gets possessed and you still have to kill her?

Pick Mia,

I picked Zoe as well and was bummed to see immediately that it doesn't matter. Seems like Zoe is destined to die/be left behind no matter what. When I was in control of Mia I knew immediately that giving Mia the serum is the "canon" choice. Even then I assume she still gets possessed and you still have to kill her?

Oh, uh, alright!

If Mia still dies at the end of the sunken ship, then that choice seems to literally have no meaning or significance whatsoever, so that's a bit disappointing to uncover..?

So even if I pick Mia, Zoe still gets on the boat with me toward the sunken ship? I don't get yelled at by Mia for my alleged betrayal? What the hell does Zoe think about that choice -- pissed?

Derp. If that's it, that's dumb. Why would Ending A even be different at all? Different parting dialogue/attitude out of Ethan before he throws the phone out the chopper? Maybe he doesn't throw the phone out the chopper?

Wut...

EDIT: nevermind, ending A Mia survives. Saw it on YouTube. Ending B is pretty pointless since Zoe doesn't make it out, it feels... Wonder why it's even in the game, lol.

LOL the instant change in the perception of Mia was so good,
One second you are a week damsel/monster and the next suddenly a badass Umbrella-ish agent.
I hardly even used her machine gun, I ran around knifing the hell out of everything.

Oh, uh, alright!

If Mia still dies at the end of the sunken ship, then that choice seems to literally have no meaning or significance whatsoever, so that's a bit disappointing to uncover..?

So even if I pick Mia, Zoe still gets on the boat with me toward the sunken ship? I don't get yelled at by Mia for my alleged betrayal? What the hell does Zoe think about that choice -- pissed?

Derp. If that's it, that's dumb. Why would Ending A even be different at all? Different parting dialogue/attitude out of Ethan before he throws the phone out the chopper? Maybe he doesn't throw the phone out the chopper?

Wut...
Mia survives to be experimented on another day.
Mia stays behind on the ship to protect you and she is in the helicopter rescued at the end.

Nothing happens with Zoe besides being bitter and resigned to stay there, Ethan says he will return for her but she says there won't be anything left.

Ms.Galaxy

You know, come to think of it, this isn't the first time Capcom played around with the idea of two Chrises and HUNK being involved in someway. I believe that what the prototype story of Resident Evil Revelations was about.

latest

ecierif

cant even beat Mia with the chainsaw at the very beginning of the game on madhouse. wtf, how many bullets does it take. She just instantly kills me every time when she eventually hits me

Edit: seriously? I just put every bullet the game gives you into her and then hit her with the axe like 15 times and that didnt do it either

I repeated that fight multiple times. When I beat her, I took advantage of the brief window during the times she breaks through doors after sawing them to hit her in the head a couple of times with the ax, the attack using both triggers simultaneously. That gave me 6 nearly free (I still got hit at least once when my timing was off) hits that were hard to safely get otherwise. Every previous time, I'd miss a few too many head shots and run out of ammo and get killed trying to finish her with the ax. When she went down, I think I had 8 of the 27 bullets left. Most of those 19 shots were head shots. A few missed.

I learned that she will break through the wall of the small room by the ladder that has 3 stacked crates. It may depend upon her positioning because I think I also saw her just follow me through the door, but maybe I just forgot to close it behind me.

I was happy to get the circular saw I unlocked after finally reaching an item box.

HiiiLife

I picked Mia on the sole fact that the whole reason I'm there in the first place was to find/save her anyway. It was an easy choice. Sorry Zoe.

KyleCross

I wonder why there are 5 different voice actors for Chris Redfield in Japanese, compared to the one for English?

X2lcMMj.png

YEcDqof.png

I believe this is a credit error where they forgot to put the other names under the other people with Chris and the pilot. The English credit has Chris then the agents and pilot under him, while the Japanese credits ends with Chris and a bunch of names listed for just him. So the other four names there are for the other agents and the pilot.

Just finished it. Couple of story questions:
  • Why didn't the serum work on Eveline at the end? Or did it?
  • Are the Bakers alive at the end being trapped alongside Ethan or was their subconscious trapped in the black goo and it faded when Eveline died?

I picked Mia on the sole fact that the whole reason I'm there in the first place was to find/save her anyway. It was an easy choice. Sorry Zoe.

I picked Zoe since she knows how to make the serum, then we could go do whatever and come back and save Mia too

oops lol

Just finished it. Couple of story questions:
  • Why didn't the serum work on Eveline at the end? Or did it?
  • Are the Bakers alive at the end being trapped alongside Ethan or was their subconscious trapped in the black goo and it faded when Eveline died?

The serum did work! It kills the E-Series and anything that's too far-gone with the mold (eg Jack's final form). I think her final form could be death throes

Dunno to the second question but that's a good guess

Now my question, the body hidden behind Eveline's(?) room in the old house. The one you get the arm from. Is that like Eveline's old body or is that a D-Series that was being stored on the ship (like in the cases), and Eveline just dressed up like a doll?

My only real problem with the game is the basic premise, Capcom switched to an average Joe to increase the horror when one of my favorite elements of RE1
is that you are a squad of elite special forces guys and it was still the best horror game of all time.

Roni

Gold Member
My only real problem with the game is the basic premise, Capcom switched to an average Joe to increase the horror when one of my favorite elements of RE1
is that you are a squad of elite special forces guys and it was still the best horror game of all time.

Well, to be fair, that squad of elite special forces couldn't even move while holding their weapons up. So... They might have been elite special forces in narrative, but in gameplay they were pretty helpless.

I picked Zoe my first time because she is kind of the whole reason you're alive. She makes the serum and guides you throughout the game. I felt she deserved it after the trouble she went through. But then immediately you realize that's the wrong choice. I'm not sure what the serum does, because in both endings Zoe and Mia get possessed again. Well Zoe just calcifies and dies, but it's clear Eveline still has control of her. Same with Mia even if you give her the serum.

Maybe in the DLC Chris and his team end up taking out Lucas and rescuing Zoe, making the Mia ending canon.

It was grandma the whole time!

That was a pretty neat twist. Reading the file about Eveline aging and I was like "whoa".

it's funny because there are files that a lot of people missed that read "experiment 001" and go on talking about the e-series virus (mold) long before you even get to that aging file

luckily i saw e-001 on the grandma's picture when you rescue mia in the beginning of the game and made the connection very early on.

love that the one teleporting around the mansion was evelyn all along

dan2026

Also what the hell happened to Lucas?
Seemed like they were gearing towards a boss fight, then he just disappears.
Screams cut content.

Maybe in the DLC Chris and his team end up taking out Lucas and rescuing Zoe, making the Mia ending canon.

Screams cut content.

i feel like i played a different game then everybody..

wasn't the Lucas boss fight that huge abomination (e-series complete form) you kill right before picking either mia or zoe to save?

if not then who tf was that i killed with the serum?....

i feel like i played a different game then everybody..

wasn't the Lucas boss fight that huge abomination (e-series complete form) you kill right before picking either mia or zoe to save?

if not then who tf was that i killed with the serum?....

Did you play with the sound off and no subtitles? Its clearly mentioned several times as Jack :D

Unless HUNK is secretly Chris' brother it makes no sense why he would use "Redfield" to a complete stranger.

Everyone thinking this is Hunk are in for a rude awakening. It's Chris Redfield. Given that Ethan has no idea who Chris Redfield is, if this WERE Hunk it makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to lie and say "I'm Redfield."

As stated, unless they're related and this is a Sam Drake scenario, it's not Hunk. It's Chris Redfield. Hell, it even says "Chris Redfield" in the credits. The lack of Incredible Hulk-style musculature is indicative of the less goofy tone the series seems to be aiming for now.

Disgraced

The mantra is this game goes for a more "grounded, restrained" approach, but it is completely absurd in its own ways (i.e. nonchalant limb reattachment) and maintains the B-movie-ness. I think what they really went for is the illusion of more mainstream, "grounded" horror, or a foregoing of instantaneous absurdity. I think it's gone too far in some places (like draining Chris' muscles—if that is Chris), but overall I like the direction.

Caffeine

still think mia is infected for some reason she didn't calcify from the serum. infact mia was infected the longest since she was infected on the boat way before even meeting the bakers. Ethan for sure is infected after hallucinations and never receiving a cure. I notice some people say infection is gone because evie is, not true evie is basically the source and the hive mind to control infected like drones, however the infection alone is a threat as those exposed too long become molded bow's. also this shit is clearly based on uroboros just on visual appearance. also as africa and uroboros fit perfectly in the redacted text on one of the pages in the lab.

Everyone thinking this is Hunk are in for a rude awakening. It's Chris Redfield. Given that Ethan has no idea who Chris Redfield is, if this WERE Hunk it makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to lie and say "I'm Redfield."

As stated, unless they're related and this is a Sam Drake scenario, it's not Hunk. It's Chris Redfield. Hell, it even says "Chris Redfield" in the credits. The lack of Incredible Hulk-style musculature is indicative of the less goofy tone the series seems to be aiming for now.

how does he not know who chris is 4 years after resident evil 6 chris would be in everywhere known as a hero. Ethan says what took you guys so long so he knows who redfield would be basically he's heard that name before, but the helicopter logo is never present to ethan only revealed to the player. then there is the ominous music as the umbrella helicopter is now making off with 2 patient zero's. infact being chris or hunk(unless he doesnt age) at this point makes no sense since they are both around 46 years old the guy taking his mask off is near ~30 years old.

you know people keep bringing up phototelegrammetry or whatever. i've lived through this already in mgsv, japenese voice actor didnt change, american did they also used sutherlands face ended up being metaphorically a clone. we have also had imprinted clones in the series before ie the dropped revelations ad where hunk looked like chris and in resident evil 6 the 2 ada wongs its not out of the realm of possiblity in this franchise for this guy to be a clone in some fashion.

there was also nothing goofy about chris, he roided up in 5 to have some sort of chance against super human wesker. and this game still has many present tones of the rest of the franchise. the credits don't mean shit they wouldn't ruin a plot twist directly after setting it up specificially with a dlc explaining him in 2-3 months time.

If Chris is really Chris and not an imposter, it's a weird character model change, especially since it looks nothing like his Vendetta model, which was made beside this game and is set between 6 and 7. But I mean, the change from CV to 5 was pretty radical, too.

Screams cut content.

When you listen to the radio, they say that Lucas is heading into the mines and they're going to look. You'll probably deal with him in the free Not A Hero DLC.

Disgraced

If RE ever does go action again it could be fun to bring Ethan back and kind of Leon-ize him. He could be like the weird new kid with Frankenstein limbs.

The entire Chris thing is so ridiculous.

You got "Redfield" who looks nothing like Chris,
coldly talking over the radio with orders of shoot to kill and apparently knows of Ethan
Redfield is on the Alpha team
Riding in an Umbrella helicopter
wearing Hunk style Umbrella gear
Throws you a pistol called Albert-01, which is modeled on the Samurai Edge and designed for BOWs

Its a Kojima level mindfuck set up.

If Chris is really Chris and not an imposter, it's a weird character model change, especially since it looks nothing like his Vendetta model, which was made beside this game and is set between 6 and 7. But I mean, the change from CV to 5 was pretty radical, too.
Other than the muscles 5's is based on the REmake face at least, same for Jill.
it was just more pronounced in the earlier renditions of the model

Darkside Chronicles slightly widened the REmake model and makes the similarity instantly noticeable.

As bad as Jill's redesign was, she still looked like Jill in ORC and Revelations.

beril

Assuming 'Redfield' is playable in the DLC and it's still first person we're probably not going to see his face a lot then either so doing such a big redesign for such a minor appearance seems weird, even with the photogrammetry excuse.

Either way I guess capcom has succeeded in getting the fanbase feeling engaged, as everyone is eagerly waiting and hoping to find out that Chris doesn't really look like that now.

dbl219

Neo Member
I don't think he is Chris. It is most definitely HUNK. The Redfield line is most likely to throw people off.

Agreed, it's HUNK. See the comparison photo here:

0wJHkBd.jpg

He has HUNK's four known signatures: wears a gas mask, rides in an Umbrella chopper, engages in Umbrella's B.O.W. disposal and clean-up, and has light-colored hair and stubble. Another thing worth noting is that HUNK appeared in the Raid mode of RE: Revelations, and as one of three starting characters in RE: Mercenaries 3D, both games directed by Koshi Nakanishi, who also directed Resident Evil 7.

It also explains why the DLC starring "Redfield" is titled, "Not A Hero." Because in all likelihood he's not Chris Redfield, he's HUNK, Umbrella's wetworks man. Of course, I'm not counting out the possibility that HUNK is a Redfield -- an unknown sibling, a cousin, a clone.

HUNK is presumably using Redfield's name and international reputation with anti-B.O.W. forces to lull Ethan into a false sense of security. We know that Ethan has weapons, engineering, and biochemistry training, based on his gun proficiency and ability to manufacture meds and ballistic ordnance. And we know that he mistrusts B.O.W. research because Mia had to lie to him about taking a B.O.W.-related gig. Yet he was still okay with her taking a gig that involved extended travel by ship, "babysitting" a mysterious VIP -- not a normal job by any means.

All signs point to Ethan Winters being "Ethan W. - Deceased" -- a Level 9 Umbrella scientist who was supposed to have been killed by Wesker during the Spencer purge, but who may have faked his death. This would explain both his lack of concern over B.O.W. monstrostities, and his fixation on Mia explaining her lies to him, rather than providing an explanation of what the crap is actually happening on this crazy plantation. It's why he says, "Took you long enough," when Umbrella shows up at the end.

YXfwsLD.jpg

It explains too why the Umbrella operatives talking on the radio seem to know exactly who Ethan is, and the risks he poses. Some players have proposed they're talking about Lucas, but if so, why not the same "shoot on sight" order as Eveline? Another user pointed out that Lucas may be a company collaborator, but it doesn't explain the deliberately ambiguous references to "him," rather than calling Lucas Baker out by name. They also say this person has been in touch with "you know who." Is this referring to Lucas being in touch with a rival B.O.W. company? Or does it relate to Ethan's phone call at the beginning of the game, perhaps to an Umbrella higher-up who prefers to go unnamed? It might be intentional that you can interpret it either way.

We can infer, too, that Ethan's previous experience and/or exposure to B.O.W. research could be the reason that he alone can resist Eveline's mental coercion. He's clearly infected by the E-series, yet neither he, "Redfield," or Mia seem concerned. Even Eveline seems to recognize this -- she instructed Mia to kill Ethan outright during their initial encounter in the guest house, and later went so far as to imprison him in a molded near-death state, where his mind remained lucid and safe, talking to the Bakers, even though Eveline claimed to Mia that he was dead. Maybe Eveline even thought he was. But ultimately, Ethan was able to escape the mold, which as we saw, turned members of the ship's crew into Molded B.O.W.s rather quickly. Then, he was also able to brush off Eveline's hallucinations and inject her quite easily with the Necrotoxin-E. She could neither kill, nor control him with her E-series infection. This may just be how Ethan's body reacts to it, with no connection to his past, but it's an interesting idea.

Regardless, the ending takes on a whole new meaning. Umbrella has been reformed, under new leadership, and they're bringing two former assets back into the fold. My personal theory is that Mia was an Umbrella freelancer or former employee. I also believe Umbrella is likely where they met, which explains their mutual familiarity with B.O.W.s. This is also why a B.O.W. company would contact her to work on a freelance basis transporting the E-series host.

When Umbrella started up again without Spencer and Wesker -- presumably sometime after the obliteration of Neo Umbrella in 2012, and before the completion of the E-series in 2014 -- Mia decided she could take the risk. She lied to Ethan, who still refused to trust Umbrella and presumably B.O.W. research in general, and went to work another B.O.W. mission. I'm still not clear whether it was Umbrella or a rival company that developed the E-series, but it's clearly at Umbrella that Ethan has a connection, as evinced by his dialogue and reactions. He and Mia don't even question why they would show up, despite the Umbrella name being connected with scandal and disgrace.

And now, the two of them are wrapped up in Umbrella's clutches once again. That's how I see it, at least. I believe Ethan was probably desperate enough to reach out to his old employer for backup, now that the guys at the top who wanted him dead are six feet under. Sure adds context to that, "Took you long enough" at the end, right?

Khoryos

It was grandma the whole time!

That was a pretty neat twist. Reading the file about Eveline aging and I was like "whoa".

I called it a little earlier - when you're in the house in the beginning, you can pick up a photo of the grandma with E-001 on the back - I assumed that meant she was the first to be infected, but then in Mia's second tape the document mentions them transporting E-001.

Fury451

Banned

The face is 100% different. Since REmake, the main players, but especially Chris and Jill have had at least a similar facial structure , so that he's definitely recognizable and believable as the same characters aging/changing/etc.

This looks nothing like Chris from any game. It's not surprising why people aren't buying it as it being the real him.

Also no Roger Craig Smith is a shame.

The mantra is this game goes for a more "grounded, restrained" approach, but it is completely absurd in its own ways (i.e. nonchalant limb reattachment) and maintains the B-movie-ness. I think what they really went for is the illusion of more mainstream, "grounded" horror, or a foregoing of instantaneous absurdity. I think it's gone too far in some places (like draining Chris' muscles—if that is Chris), but overall I like the direction.

I said this in the OT, but this game has some ridiculous bullshit in it, even by the ridiculous bullshit standards of Resident Evil. It mostly works, but missteps far more often than people seem to be noticing so far- that may change in hindsight. Then again since 6 had you fight a transforming dinosaur man and a wall of flesh with a face, this may seem tame.

Mr Croft

So I finished the game last night and I must say it is a welcomed change from the last couple of titles. That being said did I miss some stuff or what? There was nearly zero connection to any previous games outside of the random files about raccoon city and whatnot. Also this person is Chris Redfield it's in the credits right? My real question is the whole umbrella logo on the helicopter. It isn't the original logo but blue and white instead of the usual white and red. Does that mean this is a new umbrella that does good? Or a side umbrella company of some sort? Maybe Chris has finally broken mentally after RE6 once piers died. Maybe he no longer has anything to keep him stable so he went off the deep end joined umbrella lol. Ahh so refreshing to have the resident evil community talking again.

Fury451

Banned
So I finished the game last night and I must say it is a welcomed change from the last couple of titles. That being said did I miss some stuff or what? There was nearly zero connection to any previous games outside of the random files about raccoon city and whatnot. Also this person is Chris Redfield it's in the credits right? My real question is the whole umbrella logo on the helicopter. It isn't the original logo but blue and white instead of the usual white and red. Does that mean this is a new umbrella that does good? Or a side umbrella company of some sort? Maybe Chris has finally broken mentally after RE6 once piers died. Maybe he no longer has anything to keep him stable so he went off the deep end joined umbrella lol. Ahh so refreshing to have the resident evil community talking again.

You didn't miss anything.

The Umbrella stuff is the most interesting imo- the company as of this point has been down for 14 years, and we know this game is in that timeline because Alyssa Ashcroft (from Outbreak) had written an article in one of the papers you find.

Umbrella is also in no way involved with the plot of this game or the bioweapons in any way that has been shown, seeming to indicate that like Tri-Cell, a different company has developed the E series weapons.

My theory is that they're back and have either teamed up/folded into the BSAA or are trying to undo the wrongs they've done themselves. Or maybe it's remaining Umbrella forces who have joined up to fight back like a mercenary organization.

I don't think Chris has turned evil or anything either.

dbl219

Neo Member
You didn't miss anything.

The Umbrella stuff is the most interesting imo- the company as of this point has been down for 14 years, and we know this game is in that timeline because Alyssa Ashcroft (from Outbreak) had written an article in one of the papers you find.

Umbrella is also in no way involved with the plot of this game or the bioweapons in any way that has been shown.

My theory is that they're back and have either teamed up with BSAA or are trying to undo the wrongs they've done. Or maybe it's remaining Umbrella forces who have joined up to fight back what the higher ups have created.

You actually do find Umbrella markings on one of the documents, I believe. For me at least I thought it was pretty clear that a remade Umbrella Corp is responsible for the E-series and Eveline. I think the "Redfield" at the end is an Umbrella impostor, their super-soldier HUNK, AKA "Mr. Death," which explains why he's so ready to shoot people when on the radio earlier in the game. You can read my theory a few posts up.

One thing we do know for sure though is that this really must be a new or reformed Umbrella. Not only did the organization die a decade earlier, but this new version employs a blue-and-white logo rather than red-and-white. That would certainly imply a new iteration of the company.

Again, Frank looked nothing like Frank is DR4 so I'm not ruling out the possibility that it's Chris.

I believe that was Capcom shitting on Frank West as usual.

If I recall correctly people even complained in Off The Record and it was slightly edited by release(make him fatter or something like that)

Top Bottom