• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

I fucked up lol.
But now that you mention it. It's rather odd that there isn't an actual gay character in the series at least not that I know of. Since Chris is purposefully kept silent on the matter.

There was the bit about Operations Raccoon City. But since there was no actual character development on any Orc characters it all falls kind of flat.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5612910/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-gay-soldier

Wow, that's cool, I didn't know this. I guess it's a positive sign at least that Capcom didn't reject the character or fire the creator.

I completely agree with him on this:
"Show me a Lara Croft with Lena Dunham's body, or a AAA game with a South Asian or Inuit lead character! Explain to me how Joel and Booker Dewitt, both angry, violent, white men rescuing attractive, big-eyed, young girls, are not pretty-much the same character? The industry seems to now exist in a permanent creative coma when it comes to character diversity. I find it really depressing.

JayEH

They have to do something tomorrow. I doubt there will be a demo update but getting the last 4 videos instead of 2 would be good and hopefully yes it's one of the videos show one of the "regular" enemies.

strafer

I know the game is out next year and all but the marketing for this game has been terrible.

They have barely showed anything and they being all cryptic about it is just kinda stupid. It's been done before.

We'll see a heavy ramp up with marketing late November to early December. It wouldn't surprise me if the next trailer doesn't coincide with the The Walking Dead mid-season finale.

strafer

We'll see a heavy ramp up with marketing late November to early December. It wouldn't surprise me if the next trailer doesn't coincide with the The Walking Dead mid-season finale.

have they done that in the past? Not sure why airing it during The Walking Dead would help?

Better exposure is just uploading it to Youtube.

Mr_Zombie

I know the game is out next year and all but the marketing for this game has been terrible.

They have barely showed anything and they being all cryptic about it is just kinda stupid. It's been done before.

On one hand, I agree with you. It's kind of annoying how little they show, especially since based on other sources it's very possible that what Capcom shows in trailers and demos is just a tip of an iceberg. On the other hand, I'm tired of companies spoiling everything in trailers so this cryptic campaign is a good surprise.

My main issue with the campaign is the awful demo (Beginning Hour). It's not a P.T. - a groundbreaking, scary demo filled with stuff and secrets just waiting to be found and resolved, that upon finishing rewards you with a surprising announcement trailer. No. It's a short demo with a couple of simple puzzles, a couple of useless items that act as a red herring, and no way to finish it without dying.

strafer

Part of me thinks they are pulling a fast one on us and marketing the game as horror and have us play PT 2.0 for about 2-3 hours and the shift to action again.

Maybe they're afraid that if they show too much they spoil the action part and fans will be disappointed again.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I'm not sure what they're going for with the marketing. Maybe the Kitchen/Beginning Hour stuff lead me to believe that this was going to be another first-person jumpscare simulator. Now that more is being shown, I'm starting to believe that those demos were an attempt to get the indie horror audience. Hopefully the rest of the marketing is geared toward RE fans.

JayEH

I'm not sure what they're going for with the marketing. Maybe the Kitchen/Beginning Hour stuff lead me to believe that this was going to be another first-person jumpscare simulator. Now that more is being shown, I'm starting to believe that those demos were an attempt to get the indie horror audience. Hopefully the rest of the marketing is geared toward RE fans.

yeah it's been really weird. i like what they're showing right now and am started to get excited now but I wish they would have just started with these videos. They want to be part of that pewdiepie youtube hype though I guess. It's an odd approach though, it's almost like they feel RE fans wouldn't be enough at first.

have they done that in the past? Not sure why airing it during The Walking Dead would help?

Better exposure is just uploading it to Youtube.

While YouTube is great, the two highest selling titles had televised marketing as well as part of their significant marketing push. As have GTAs, Destiny, and The Division to name a few gangbuster titles. The Walking Dead has hosted game trailers in the past, Capcom's own Dead Rising 3 among them. Whatever thoughts on the quality of the series, it commands a significant viewership with tastes that could make RE7 look attractive to them.

In other words, grabbing the mainstream as directly as possible. The only other significant televised opportunity is the Superbowl, but Microsoft (for Halo) has been the only one willing to shell out for such airtime.

Edit: I agree the marketing has, with what we've been given thus far in the time frame, been mishandled in selling the game. Nothing that's been shown lately has been revealing to where it would have taken away the mystery of the game.

Golnei

I fucked up lol.
But now that you mention it. It's rather odd that there isn't an actual gay character in the series at least not that I know of. Since Chris is purposefully kept silent on the matter.

There was the bit about Operations Raccoon City. But since there was no actual character development on any Orc characters it all falls kind of flat.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5612910/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-gay-soldier

I still don't think it's that odd that the main games don't have any explicitly gay protagonists. Resident Evil might be very mass-market and highly tailored towards the Western audience, but it shouldn't mean they have to ape the Western industry's quota-driven model of representation exactly when their current approach works so far. Since romantic plotlines are so rare among the main cast, it really wouldn't serve much purpose at all to suddenly reveal someone to be gay - like Overwatch, for a more recent example, keeping that side of things open to fan interpretation is the best compromise to allow people to read what they want into the characters.

Personally I think RE7 is just riding off the VR wave and the game will be very lacking in worthwhile gameplay. Nothing they have shown be it video or demo has looked very engaging at all.

JayEH

The action dream was dead once they announced VR bruhs. They ain't going to do anything that could make the vr users sick.

For those who have actually played the demos, how does movement from side-to-side actually work in RE7? Is there no kind of quick movement or anything like that?

RSB

Banned
I've been replaying RE5 these past couple days with a friend. The game's still amazing (quite possibly the best co-op game ever) So good.

Personally I think RE7 is just riding off the VR wave and the game will be very lacking in worthwhile gameplay. Nothing they have shown be it video or demo has looked very engaging at all.
Yep, I feel exactly the same.

This week's sneak peeks finally dropped. Two very disappointing videos IMO.

First demonstrates picking up and examining objects in the environment.

https://youtu.be/JB0-MFSjKv0

Second shows Ethan in what looks to be the puzzle room in the Lantern demo, and just goofing around with holding up different objects.

https://youtu.be/lFh6Ip5v6xM

Didn't think they'd bungle Halloween worse than the 20th Anniversary, but there it is. It's not that it isn't interesting, but it's just much tamer than what each week seemed to be ramping up towards.

Jawmuncher

This week's sneak peeks finally dropped. Two very disappointing videos IMO.

First demonstrates picking up and examining objects in the environment.

https://youtu.be/JB0-MFSjKv0

Second shows Ethan in what looks to be the puzzle room in the Lantern demo, and just goofing around with holding up different objects.

https://youtu.be/lFh6Ip5v6xM

Didn't think they'd bungle Halloween worse than the 20th Anniversary, but there it is. It's not that it isn't interesting, but it's just much tamer than what each week seemed to be ramping up towards.

I said in the other thread last week's vids should have been this weeks vids.

Jawmuncher

thread didn't even make it past page 1. weak showing.

There was really nothing to get hyped about.
We already know you could examine items from the demo, and the puzzle was the same one that has been shown off numerous times. There really wasn't much to talk about even with the items shown.

Gradon

I believe you can adjust the settings of movement in VR to how you like, that was what the game told me after the tutorial.

The default options are moving your character with left stick, there is a run button too. Moving the right analog stick will "snap" the camera to the next point if that makes sense. Instead of smooth movement the camera will instantly snap to different set points all around your character.

Also as far as I remember, pressing back on the right analog or pressing circle (can't 100% remember) 180 degrees rotated me.

I believe you can adjust the settings of movement in VR to how you like, that was what the game told me after the tutorial.

The default options are moving your character with left stick, there is a run button too. Moving the right analog stick will "snap" the camera to the next point if that makes sense. Instead of smooth movement the camera will instantly snap to different set points all around your character.

Also as far as I remember, pressing back on the right analog or pressing circle (can't 100% remember) 180 degrees rotated me.

Yeah, I know what you mean with the snap thing. Here They Lie had a demo on the VR demo disc, and it does something similar. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess assigning movement to the right stick with VR has a lot of potential for motion sickness?

Gradon

I guess assigning movement to the right stick with VR has a lot of potential for motion sickness?

I can vouch for this with The Assembly and the Toon War beta. Snapping camera movements makes me feel more comfortable than smoothly moving the camera which makes me feel dizzy and sick because of it. I believe that RE7 is going to let adjust settings and do both though, the default camera setting was snapping.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There's a Famitsu article for Resident Evil 7 in tomorrow's issue. I hope we get some new stuff from it.

Edit: preview of the article (from Famitsu themselves):

d146f7313bb1ff2b631de5fa1ebd5409.png

New screens! These are from Twitter, but they come from Famitsu's website:

b390a8bee1afac941b6cc1f25b47a4ad.png
CwLl-rkWAAAxw_C.jpg

Gradon

Im a tad worried about enemy variety.
The Immortal trailer worries me, that Baker will never leave you alone like Nemesis and cannot die.

Playing Operation Ada. Can we just get an Ada game? If Yukimura from Sengoku Basara can get a spin off, we should get an Ada game. And a Sherry/Jake game. Fuck, just give me more Resident Evil!

Jawmuncher

Im a tad worried about enemy variety.
The Immortal trailer worries me, that Baker will never leave you alone like Nemesis and cannot die.

Well at least there are 4 of them and they'll probably evolve like Nemesis did.

Personally I'm still banking on this being capcom wanting to be way secretive. Apparently everything we've seen besides maybe the lantern demo is the first hourish of the game.

Jawmuncher

Boi Boi oh Boi, you gonna get it now

All things considered, at least the actor for the character is really good at selling the character. I think the game will be a little odd for them to play though, since based off that one thread. A lot of these characters are apparently real people.

Well at least there are 4 of them and they'll probably evolve like Nemesis did.

Personally I'm still banking on this being capcom wanting to be way secretive. Apparently everything we've seen besides maybe the lantern demo is the first hourish of the game.

I really don't know if I like the idea of 4 Nemesis like characters in one game. It could be good, but within one game I got pretty tired of Nemesis halfway through.

Gradon

I hope so, Capcom are usual to including late game footage in trailers. Remember when the final boss of Revelations was in the trailer?
I am totally loving the approach of RE7 though.
Does anyone think they'll include any modes beside story ?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hope so, Capcom are usual to including late game footage in trailers. Remember when the final boss of Revelations was in the trailer?
I am totally loving the approach of RE7 though.
Does anyone think they'll include any modes beside story ?
Hopefully Jill Valentine mode.

Jawmuncher

I'm honestly not sure on another mode. I feel like madhouse might be their other mode. I can't think of anything they could do with the current mechnics, since we know so little.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They are pretty creative. Mercs is great and Raid was pretty cool too. They tried some weird shit in RE6 as well.

And they've been working on this game forever. I'm anticipating some new and weird extra mode. And expect it'll probably be entertaining.

Unless getting VR implemented sapped their resources. :/

I'm honestly not sure on another mode. I feel like madhouse might be their other mode. I can't think of anything they could do with the current mechnics, since we know so little.

Maybe something similar to Alien Isolation challenge mode?

Already have some inspirations of that game shining through in the regular gameplay.

JayEH

Their non answer about other modes in a previous interview was concerning.

Isn't Madhouse Mode just the hardest difficulty? I know people are speculating things change, but is it really an alternative mode? It'd be weird not to have some kind of unlockable mode. It'd be the first game not to have one except the original RE1 release.

Jawmuncher

Isn't Madhouse Mode just the hardest difficulty? I know people are speculating things change, but is it really an alternative mode? It'd be weird not to have some kind of unlockable mode. It'd be the first game not to have one except the original RE1 release.

It is the hardest difficulty, but it apparently changes concepts in the game as well.

Are you talking about Troy Baker?

We can never have enough Jake.

AdaWong

Playing Operation Ada. Can we just get an Ada game? If Yukimura from Sengoku Basara can get a spin off, we should get an Ada game. And a Sherry/Jake game. Fuck, just give me more Resident Evil!

I seriously hope Ada pulls a Nina and gets her own spin-off solo game that's not focused on RE and more MGS-ish/Batman in feel with stealth elements T_T

But the closest and soonest thing we're gonna get is probably a new Ada campaign in the RE2 remake in addition to Leon and Claire.

Top Bottom