• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

As much as i am not a fan of 7,
It would be incredible for an outbreak game.

Outbreak HD (as the rumors suggested would be announced at E3) makes so much sense, because then you'd have something for the traditional crowd, and something for the 1st person horror.

Plenty of E3 left, but still won't get my hopes too up.

Is Masachika Kawata just producing RE7? If I'm identifying him correctly from the earlier Capcom Unity stream, since the audio was messed up as they were going through introductions.

Edit: Nvm, yes, he is producing. Picked up my wife's bad habit of asking instead of waiting until the end of something.

News Bot

Banned
Is that Ambassador artwork a new piece?
Claire looks like an old render but others look different, especially Chris.

It was recent 20th anniversary key art.

Did catch that them dancing a bit around the occult presentation. Do we know what was the reasoning behind those similar elements in RE4's development. Virus causing harmful hallucinations?

Leon was infected with a new virus developed by Umbrella's rival company and deployed by H.C.F. (who attacked Rockfort Island) against Leon's anti-B.O.W. special ops unit in the Spencer Castle.

The virus in that version later became Uroboros. Originally they couldn't technologically achieve the desired tentacle effect, so a fog effect was used to compensate. During development of BIO5, they had the technology and budget to achieve the original desired effect.

Leon was infected with a new virus developed by Umbrella's rival company and deployed by H.C.F. (who attacked Rockfort Island) against Leon's anti-B.O.W. special ops unit in the Spencer Castle.

The virus in that version later became Uroboros. Originally they couldn't technologically achieve the desired tentacle effect, so a fog effect was used to compensate. During development of BIO5, they had the technology and budget to achieve the original desired effect.
Thanks.

Ah, so the little dolls for example were inanimate objects controlled by Uroboros?

You're the best as always.

Ralemont

not me
Just played through the demo a bit, got three endings.

You know what? I liked it a lot. People say it doesn't feel like Resident Evil, but I disagree. It kinda does feel like Resident Evil, in the way that RE4-6 kinda felt like Resident Evil, even though they were missing something. I mean, the whole atmosphere and sense of solving a multi-layered area filled with puzzles definitely hearkened back to the originals. It was missing the monsters, obviously, but I expect that to be in the main game.

And playing it in VR? Whew doggy.

Teknoman

So Resident Evil 6 PC vs PS4? I've already got the PS3 game from day 1, but want to go back through it, and its on sale via Steam.

I have a lot of stuff prepared for a new RE7 thread focused on cutting through the messaging, the development history, and separating Beginning Hours from it.

So far:

• Quotes and timestamps from the Capcom Unity channel (the bulk)
  • Linkedin leak
  • R&D Group 1's announcement of working on a VR capable engine
  • General info gathered from the Playstation Blog press release
  • Dusk Golem's trailer analysis from this thread
  • Some choice posts from our resident (heh) P.T. dev who is now attached to RE7
  • Some highlights from Newsbot (BH plot, timetable of development)
  • Lead producer, producer, and director

Anything else that anyone feels I should touch on that isn't a part of the above? I plan to have it up by Wednesday afternoon/evening at the latest if I get approval to put it up.

Akiller

Whats the Point of the Rev Series now, given the style they chose for RE7.

If i am not mistaken RE7 director is the Rev 1 one,thats a shame, would have loved a next gen version of Rev 1 and i think it would have pleased both RE fanbases.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Someone spotted a BIG HINT that might suggest Resident Evil 7 will come with a demo of REmake 2:

e178f69d72bf24f8c9d0f59d369f0640.jpg

News Bot

Banned
Someone spotted a BIG HINT that might suggest Resident Evil 7 will come with a demo of REmake 2:

e178f69d72bf24f8c9d0f59d369f0640.jpg

This is sly, I love it. They've really got a thing for secrets, easter eggs and intrigue lately. Similar situation happened with REV2.

In completely unrelated to BIO7 news, I'm almost finished translating the novel BIO HAZARD The Wicked North Sea (バイオハザード 北海の妖獣). I'm about 3/4 of the way through already but I've been putting it off for too long, so I'm going to grind through it and have it done by next week.

RSB

Banned
I just hope Action Fans aren't gonna be stuck with Umbrella Corps as the only action game
The mainline RE games are gonna be all "Indie horror game, Triple A edition" from now on, but the action RE spirit will live on with the Dino Crisis reboot.

Believe.

Depends on how it sells. Amnesia did 1.4 million (Machine for Pigs did 120,000 week one), Alien Isolation did 2.1 million, and Soma around 250K to 300K. Even Five Nights at Freddie's all have well under a million each according to Steamspy. The market for FPS Survival Horror isn't as large as you'd think.
I was just making fun of the RE7 demo with that comment, I don't actually think all future RE games will be PT/Outlast/Amnesia clones. Not even RE7 will be like that IMO, I'm sure the final game will have combat (not on the same level as RE4-6, but it'll be there)

The mainline RE games are gonna be all "Indie horror game, Triple A edition" from now on, but the action RE spirit will live on with the Dino Crisis reboot.

Believe.

Don't know if you are joking or not, but it depends on how it sells. Amnesia did 1.4 million (Machine for Pigs did 120,000 week one), Alien Isolation did 2.1 million, and Soma around 250K to 300K. Even Five Nights at Freddie's all have well under a million each according to Steamspy. The market for FPS Survival Horror isn't as large as you'd think. Then again, making Resident Evil much smaller, more contained games would help with the budget issue, so maybe they won't care?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This is sly, I love it. They've really got a thing for secrets, easter eggs and intrigue lately. Similar situation happened with REV2.

In completely unrelated to BIO7 news, I'm almost finished translating the novel BIO HAZARD The Wicked North Sea (バイオハザード 北海の妖獣). I'm about 3/4 of the way through already but I've been putting it off for too long, so I'm going to grind through it and have it done by next week.

zdsU7xU.png

BadWolf

I just hope Action Fans aren't gonna be stuck with Umbrella Corps as the only action game

Gotta say, this new non-action focused direction from them is pretty surprising considering that RE5 and RE6 are their best selling games ever.

Kind of liked how they said during the Capcom Unity stream that RE1-RE3 was one style of gameplay and RE4-RE6 was another and now with RE7 it's time for a new refresh. At least no one can accuse them of playing it safe. Pretty ballsy of them to take this approach with their biggest IP.

I loved both the classic and new school RE so I'm willing to give them a fair chance with RE7, can't wait to try the actual game.

RedSnake

So I just got a free psn+ suscription and downloaded the demo.

I'm going in blind!

See you boys and girls when I finish the demo!

RedSnake

Holy crap!

I'm a member of the family now I guess!

Played 3 times.

things I noticed + demo impressions.

1. The start of the demo is another ending. It looks like the guys from the video get out of the house alive, unlike my 2 other endings.

2. It's "PT like" in the sense that you learn stuff and then you "loop" and take advantage of that. Managed to find an axe on my third playthrough.

Where do I use the finger?

Do I always have to get knocked out? Is that how the demo ends and are saving the rest for the relase of the game?
I read the demo is kinda stand alone so I don't think so.

Where do I use the finger or how do I get the key out and where do I use it then?

It did feel like REmake at some points and some stuff remminded me of the cancelled RE4 were Leon had allucinations and stuff. Maybe something like that's going on?

I do hope for weapons, bosses and herbs down the line and I know we'll get that.
If done correctly and with VR this might be the greatest RE experiencce ever!

High hopes for this game right now.

Ralemont

not me
Think it would have been 3rd person and more action focused if PSVR wasn't launching?

I mean even Kojima said he didn't plan on Silent Hills itself being 1st person like PT was (though he did say the positive feedback was making him reconsider). I think we might have gotten something closer to RE4, a slightly lower-key but still action-survival-horror feel game. Personally I think VR is the right call: a VR horror game has the potential to be huge...provided VR itself becomes big. The upside is pretty tremendous.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Holy crap!

I'm a member of the family now I guess!

Played 3 times.

things I noticed + demo impressions.

1. The start of the demo is another ending. It looks like the guys from the video get out of the house alive, unlike my 2 other endings.

2. It's "PT like" in the sense that you learn stuff and then you "loop" and take advantage of that. Managed to find an axe on my third playthrough.

Where do I use the finger?

Do I always have to get knocked out? Is that how the demo ends and are saving the rest for the relase of the game?
I read the demo is kinda stand alone so I don't think so.

Where do I use the finger or how do I get the key out and where do I use it then?

It did feel like REmake at some points and some stuff remminded me of the cancelled RE4 were Leon had allucinations and stuff. Maybe something like that's going on?

I do hope for weapons, bosses and herbs down the line and I know we'll get that.
If done correctly and with VR this might be the greatest RE experiencce ever!

High hopes for this game right now.

Welcome to the family, son!

If you have questions about the finger, you aren't alone

EDIT

cross-posted from the RE7 reveal thread (yes, the poster has been informed that he only directed REV1)

RedSnake

Welcome to the family indeed! I soooo wanna punch that dude!

I'm reading the spoiler thread from start to finish before posting there. Some pretty interesting things but no solution yet...

Thinking about it again the part with the lever under the chimney (sp?) is SO original RE with weird lever or switches on weird places that open up traps.

Again, I think that if done correctly this can be amazing.

MattyG

Banned
Just started Resident Evil HD. It's my first RE game ever. I'm really liking it. It's very much what I expected while also being really different (in a good way). Any tips or things I should know?

I got to the dogs on the balcony and got mauled because I couldn't get a shot on the second one, so I decided to take a break.

Anyone think they might make REmake 2 am FPS as well?

No. While they've spoken of bringing the game up to modern times in unknown ways, from the sounds of it they are trying to follow up what they did with REmake. While there's been a lot of worry that REmake2 would go the over the top action route, everything said both in related interviews and those for RE7 indicate that Capcom has changed their focus since Kawata's comments in 2012.

Depending on how well RE7 does, the series may continue in the main line as FPS/FPH. Or they can do something else and regulate First Person back to non-numerical and side titles like Revelations.

Hopefully shortly after RE7's release they show something for the action fans. While I've been quite disagreeable with many of the choices made in the recent entries, there was a lot of good in there too that would be a shame to just throw out.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Just started Resident Evil HD. It's my first RE game ever. I'm really liking it. It's very much what I expected while also being really different (in a good way). Any tips or things I should know?

I got to the dogs on the balcony and got mauled because I couldn't get a shot on the second one, so I decided to take a break.

Jill's run is widely believed to be easier than Chris's. While that gets debated from time to time, I definitely believe Jill's run is easier for beginners.
If you don't know what an item is for, and you're nowhere near an item box, don't pick it up
Don't feel bad if you have to start over--you will regain your lost progress quicly & (probably) use fewer resources than you did the first time
If there's no need to kill it, don't

Anyone think they might make REmake 2 am FPS as well?

I can't see it. Setting aside what a "real RE looks like," REmake 2 will probably not be radically different, mechanically, from the original RE2 (or REmake, for that matter).

Besides. We love those characters. We aren't going to just want to see their hands and feet. I expect the protags to be onscreen

EDIT
Hopefully shortly after RE7's release they show something for the action fans. While I've been quite disagreeable with many of the choices made in the recent entries, there was a lot of good in there too that would be a shame to just throw out.

Absolutely. My friends & I have had great fun with couch co-op in both 5 & 6 and I want to keep having those experiences with Resident Evil, too

kogasu

Re2 is a classic. I doubt they'd make it an FPS. Capcom's trying to please the old school RE community with it and I'd imagine they're quite aware of how fans would react to a drastic change like that.

I mean, RE7 is a pretty big change for the series too that some seem to be feeling "eh" on but there's still some intrigue there since it's new for the series.

I mean, if you made it that far without help or breaking for special tips I think you very much have the hang of it. Feel free to ask of course, enjoy the ride!

The only tip I'd give is I've often ran and dodged as much as possible, finding nonlethal approaches whenever available. Ammo's tight until like, 2/3rds into it imo. Jill is also no doubt easier than Chris "backtrack" Redfield's scenario but both are essential to play through, the differences are wonderful and abundant.

kuYuri

Played RE7 demo, got the two common endings.

I am hyped. Would be a nice bonus if the PC version got Oculus Rift support since it's already getting PSVR support.

I'm honestly glad to see it go back to horror. And this is coming from someone who loved all the previous games, including RE6.

Played RE7 demo, got the two common endings.

I am hyped. Would be a nice bonus if the PC version got Oculus Rift support since it's already getting PSVR support.

I'm honestly glad to see it go back to horror. And this is coming from someone who loved all the previous games, including RE6.

I do wonder when they'll confirm Oculus and/or Vive support. Granted, this week is E3 and Sony's push for PS VR, but it would be odd to only have PS VR in the end.

Another possibility is PS VR will be the exclusive VR device at launch, and other devices will get support down the line. Not sure how well that will go over.

Edit:The thread that was promised is up: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1234607&page=100000

Anything I missed that should be in there can be posted so I can edit it in.

Top Bottom