• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Finaika

How demanding is this game on the PC?

I have an old laptop with an i5 & GTX 460m. Would that be enough for 1080p 60fps, since the backgrounds are mainly pre-rendered?

Debating whether to get this on the PC or the PS4.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I have an old laptop with an i5 & GTX 460m. Would that be enough for 1080p 60fps, since the backgrounds are mainly pre-rendered?

Although the recommended system requirements mention a regular 560, I can't imagine that the game actually requires much GPU power and the recommended Intel CPU is an almost-eight-year-old 2.7GHz C2Q, so you're bound to be fine.

Bumhead

Banned
How easy are knife only runs?

Thinking back to all the times I've played Resident Evil, across the original, the directors cut and REmake, and I've never even attempted it before. Always seemed so overwhelming.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot this time though.

judhudson

For those that play this on PC, do you guys plan to use Mouse/Keyboard, or controller? If so, what kind of controller would be great for it? (I usually play mouse/keyboard but wondering if controller is easier for these kinds of games)

petran79

Banned
For those that play this on PC, do you guys plan to use Mouse/Keyboard, or controller? If so, what kind of controller would be great for it? (I usually play mouse/keyboard but wondering if controller is easier for these kinds of games)

Like it happened with the original RE1 port on PC years ago, I'll make an exception and use keyboard this time! Even though controller support on Windows in the late-90s was abysmall compared to today, I just want to relive those memories.

joe2187

Banned
How easy are knife only runs?

Thinking back to all the times I've played Resident Evil, across the original, the directors cut and REmake, and I've never even attempted it before. Always seemed so overwhelming.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot this time though.

New controls plus Very easy mode make it more than breeze since you're always running in Alternate controls.

There's even a trophy/achievement for "Knife only" run.

Although I just finished Hard mode with only the knife and it didnt seem that bad.

The hardest challenge is going to be "Real Survival mode" which makes the game harder overall, with less items and ammo, disables special weapons, Auto Aim is removed, and most importantly item boxes are not linked so you'll have to manage your inventory space and remember which item box has which items.

good luck!

One of my most favourite games. Cannot WAIT for this next week. Double dipped on PS4/PC.

I remember playing the GameCube version, doing hard, knife only, no saves. Got all the way to the final Tyrant, and..... power cut! I could have cried.

The hardest challenge is going to be "Real Survival mode" which makes the game harder overall, with less items and ammo, disables special weapons, Auto Aim is removed, and most importantly item boxes are not linked so you'll have to manage your inventory space and remember which item box has which items.

good luck!

Not to mention Forrest chasing you around with grenades strapped to his chest!

joe2187

Banned
Oh man, I forgot the best part of Hard mode.

finally getting enough hits with the knife on tyrant and then getting the rocket launcher at the end, after taking the shot it goes into the action cutscene and I put the controller down and raised my hands in victory, and then shows the tyrant swatting the missle away and going back to gameplay I did a very loud "Oh FUCK!" before I dodged a lunge and shot him for the last time with the rocket launcher.

Mr_Zombie

finally getting enough hits with the knife on tyrant and then getting the rocket launcher at the end, after taking the shot it goes into the action cutscene and I put the controller down and raised my hands in victory, and then shows the tyrant swatting the missle away and going back to gameplay I did a very loud "Oh FUCK!" before I dodged a lunge and shot him for the last time with the rocket launcher.

Doesn't that happen even on normal? At least that's how I remember it.

It happened on my first playthrough on Gamecube, so I don't think it only happens on the hard modes.

I remember being terrified when it happened.

kng3025

Got a question about the US version of the game. Is pre-ordering the game the only way to
get it cross buy? Was just reading about how the game isn't going to be available for pre loading in Europe, but for a limited time, it will be cross buy on ps4/ps3.

Just check it while it is downloading. Status says it is still 3 GB. Will check it again after download is finished :)

i did mine on ps4 yesterday and had the same problem, 3GB

Been answered a couple times in the thread already guys - go to the icon on your menu, press options and go to info, and you'll see the data continues to download to a total of 15 gb

Is the normal difficulty for the game considered the best way to experience it for your first time playing?

I would definitely start there. It's definitely not a breeze on your first playthrough.

Sectus

I was curious how much time they take exactly, so I counted how many door animations there were in a speedrun. The speedrun was 1 hour and 46 minutes in total, and there were 288 door animations in total. That's 33 minutes and 40 seconds spent watching door animations, almost a third of the total speedrun.

Parsnip

Controller, always.

Mr_Zombie

I depends on how they implemented controls. If it's like RE1-RE3 (i.e. keyboard only) then I'm in, because I really don't see much point in using mouse for this game; it's not like you can even aim precisely in this game. Otherwise - controller.

I was curious how much time they take exactly, so I counted how many door animations there were in a speedrun. The speedrun was 1 hour and 46 minutes in total, and there were 288 door animations in total. That's 33 minutes and 40 seconds spent watching door animations, almost a third of the total speedrun.

I really hope that PC version will allow you to skip door animation - officially or unofficially (i.e. mods).

gelf

Wow how have I never seen that. I know I've beaten the game on hard.

Gurish

Guys for a first playthrough (and maybe the only playthrough) who do you recommend playing with, Chris or Jill?

And are there any significant differences between each character in terms of story, different rooms and such or is it the same game more or less just with a different skin and abilities, in other words is it worth playing the game twice like it was in RE2?

Guys for a first playthrough (and maybe the only playthrough) who do you recommend playing with, Chris or Jill?

And are there any significant differences between each character in terms of story, different rooms and such or is it the same game more or less just with a different skin and abilities, in other words is it worth playing the game twice like it was in RE2?

it is worth playing twice, the story and character interactions are different. jill's playthrough is easier

I enjoy playing as Chris Redfield, but its a bit tougher of an experience. The storylines are quite a bit different. Not just different skins. You can actually play the game once with each character and get a bit different of a story. You interact with different characters, ect.

Chris doesn't have Barry around in the mansion with him like Jill does. He's on his own. It feels more scary and isolated, until you meet Rebecca. Chris also has 2 less item slots, and no lockpick so you have to find "small keys". I also like the Chris/Rebecca storyline better than the Jill/Barry one.

Gurish

it is worth playing twice, the story and character interactions are different. jill's playthrough is easier

I enjoy playing as Chris Redfield, but its a bit tougher of an experience. The storylines are quite a bit different. Not just different skins. You can actually play the game once with each character and get a bit different of a story. You interact with different characters, ect.

Chris doesn't have Barry around in the mansion with him like Jill does. He's on his own. It feels more scary and isolated, until you meet Rebecca. Chris also has 2 less item slots, and no lockpick so you have to find "small keys". I also like the Chris/Rebecca storyline better than the Jill/Barry one.

Are there different locations for each character like in RE2?
I guess i should go with Jill for my playthrough.

Jill is the easier character for sure. She's able to pick locks of some doors that would otherwise require small keys, and she can hold more items. Both characters go to the same areas, but the story is told from two different perspectives. So yes, there's some differences with the characters. Definitely worth playing through twice though!

I was wondering the same. Maybe I'll go through with Jill.

I'm decent at Resident Evil games, but it's been a long time and I've never played more than a couple or few hours of this.

gelf

There are no different locations, its not like RE2. You do get different events happen in each though. In fact you can get a small number different events happen in different playthroughs of the same character depending on what you do. Though actually the original RE1 beats REmake at this in some regards.

Gurish

Jill is the easier character for sure. She's able to pick locks of some doors that would otherwise require small keys, and she can hold more items. Both characters go to the same areas, but the story is told from two different perspectives. So yes, there's some differences with the characters. Definitely worth playing through twice though!
There are no different locations, its not like RE2. You do get different events happen in each though. In fact you can get a small number different events happen in different playthroughs of the same character depending on what you do. Though actually the original RE1 beats REmake at this in some regards.
Thanks for the answer, so the best way to play this game is to go with Jill for my first playthrough and Chris for my second.

Can't wait for this, I've played the original back than but the disc wouldn't load after finishing 2/3 of the game, now I'm making up for that big time with the Remake I've been dying to play ever since the original GC announcement!
After that we will hopefully get RE0 HD and than i can say that I've played all mainline RE games besides the dreadful 6! :)

Thanks for the answer, so the best way to play this game is to go with Jill for my first playthrough and Chris for my second.

yeah. it doesn't matter from a story perspective. there's no A and B playthroughs like with RE2. so technically the character you choose first doesn't matter. but playing as chris first is much harder because everything is unfamiliar and you have more working against you. playing as chris as a second playthrough, you'll already have a good feel for everything

Play as BSAA Chris
iSpfvkIgBjczX.png

Xpliskin

You'll be fine.
Said to be running on mt framework.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
How hard are the puzzles? I've never been good at challenging puzzles in games.
They are significantly easier than in the original. Important parts in certain texts are specially marked IIRC. It's pretty much solvable by using the common sense. But I knew the original in and out before finishing it, so my advice may not be the best.

Gurish

yeah. it doesn't matter from a story perspective. there's no A and B playthroughs like with RE2. so technically the character you choose first doesn't matter. but playing as chris first is much harder because everything is unfamiliar and you have more working against you. playing as chris as a second playthrough, you'll already have a good feel for everything
Cool. Wonder if i should play on Hard for my second playthrough with Chris or is normal with him is harder enough.

From my experience with the series, they are very easy, it's no Silent Hill, pretty basic and it's there to add some variety to the gameplay, just like Uncharted's "platforming" :)

They are significantly easier than in the original. Important parts in certain texts are specially marked IIRC. It's pretty much solvable by using the common sense. But I knew the original in and out before finishing it, so my advice may not be the best.

Okay. Thank you for the reply.

Edit: Replies*

Gurish

Easier than in the original!? That's very disappointing :(

Is it similar to RE2 where playing Leon first, Claire second is better/same/worst than playing Clair first, Leon second? (I heard Claire first, Leon second is better). I guess this question is more personal experience based.

Is it similar to RE2 where playing Leon first, Claire second is better/same/worst than playing Clair first, Leon second? (I heard Claire first, Leon second is better)

order doesn't matter or have an effect on the subsequent playthroughs. ie. there are only 2 playthroughs, not 4 variations like with RE2

In the original PS1 game Chris and Jill were literally Hard and Easy mode, since the remake has an actual difficulty selection they evened them out quite a bit, though Jill might still be the better choice for beginners due to her 2 additional inventory slots. Less backtracking on your first playthrough.

Most puzzles are just put "object" in slot that is formed like "object".

I don't think the series's puzzles in general are very difficult to figure out.

Curufinwe

Start with Jill. You will definitely want to play again as Chris, but you'll know where things are so the lack of item slots won't be so annoying.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Easier than in the original!? That's very disappointing :(
Yeah, definitely. Picture riddle for example was much better in the original. But hey, it's only easier when it comes to the puzzles. Everything else is more demanding. Especially thanks to the Crimson Heads and so on.

Curufinwe

I rented RE DC on the PS1, but couldn't finish it because
I didn't realize I needed to open the Eagle of East/Wolf of West books to get the medals out.

RE DC was the game that was always out of stock at my local Blockbuster-equivalent, so I didn't manage to rent it until 1998.

gelf

The difference between Jill and Chris is certainly more even then it used to be. That said Jill is the easier option still. Jill's major disadvantage is less health but this is countered by having the lockpick, 2 extra inventory slots and the fact she has access to the grenade launcher and gets slightly earlier use of the shotgun.

I dunno about the puzzles being easier, most of them are similiar but actually extended, only a few are simplified.

Though of course if you're familiar with the original they shouldn't cause too much of a headache.

Edit: The more I think about it the more I disagree, the REmake's puzzles are definitly harder and more involved but similiar enough that they seem easy if you know the original. The only things that are actually harder in the original are imo the Hunters and the final boss.

Top Bottom