• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yo the panning sounded like a really good idea....but they're implementation is kind of fucked. It doesn't even fully pan. There's still a lot of screen that looks like it's being chopped off after the pan.

Also that new control scheme probably feels a lot better to control, but it looks terrible.

Sectus

I think they have a point, the door animation might be annoying when you are on your second-third playthrough but for a first time player it's really part of the experience and adds tension, maybe they should give an option to remove it after you beat it for the first time but for new players its a vital part of the experience and presentation of the game.

I personally thought the door animations were annoying even in my first playthrough of the game. They should have just made it optional, so people can choose whatever they prefer.

Wait, what, really? Where was this? Link me.

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/post/22769/thread

Grief.exe

The new control system looks terrible. In my opinion it will ruin the intended pacing of the game.

Enemies will still comes at you at the same speed, but you can always spin around like a loon.

Honestly, the new controls are what interests me the most. The animation does look off, sure, but I'll be able to finally play the game sonwwhe.

gelf

The new control system looks terrible. In my opinion it will ruin the intended pacing of the game.

Enemies will still comes at you at the same speed, but you can always spin around like a loon.

Its proof you can't just shoehorn a new control scheme into a game not designed for it, it takes a lot of work to get the balance right. I know its just an option but if they make that system the default its going to make a very bad first impression.

Its like if Dark Souls had a mode that let you play it like Bayonetta.

Mengetsu

Its proof you can't just shoehorn a new control scheme into a game not designed for it, it takes a lot of work to get the balance right. I know its just an option but if they make that system the default its going to make a very bad first impression.

Catering to new players...I mean leave the default option there and make it optional for new control scheme. It's not really difficult.

Hellraider

Honestly, the new controls are what interests me the most. The animation does look off, sure, but I'll be able to finally play the game sonwwhe.

Videogames and control schemes don't and should not work like that. It would be better to just struggle for the first minutes than ruining the whole balance.

Darknight

Did they add an option to remove the door animations? LOL To me they seem like they were sped up a little.

Door animations may be annoying but they are like part of RE games or the past ones anyways. REmake having them was a cool thing back in the day since it was like original.

Did they add an option to remove the door animations? LOL To me they seem like they were sped up a little.

Door animations may be annoying but they are like part of RE games or the past ones anyways. REmake having them was a cool thing back in the day since it was like original.
I feel like I remember reading back when REmake was coming out that they did not need the door animations to mask loading even on the Gamecube but left them in to stay true to the original. I could be misremembering, though.

ArjanN

Yo the panning sounded like a really good idea....but they're implementation is kind of fucked. It doesn't even fully pan. There's still a lot of screen that looks like it's being chopped off after the pan.

Also that new control scheme probably feels a lot better to control, but it looks terrible.

Luckily everyone here knows better than to use either of those options anyway. :p

The new control system is optional, right? It looks like it'll break the game, but I don't see an issue if the original tank controls are also available.

Holy shit the contrast is fucked.

Yeah, what the hell. Hopefully it's an issue with the recording or something because goddamn.

JoeFenix

Wow, the all-directional movement animation is super jank. It literally looks like frames are dropped in the animation whenever you go a different direction. Anyone else seeing what I mean? It's not smooth at all.

That's fucking disgusting, not only does it look bad but it also completely destroys the balance of the game.

Just terrible.

FTF

Holy shit, please let all those crushed blacks be because of bad tv settings they have...if not, that's just terrible.

I don't know anything about destroying the balance of the game since I can go through RE barely being touched at all lol but they really should have done a better job with the animation. Put more effort

JoeFenix

I don't know anything about destroying the balance of the game since I can go through RE barely being touched at all lol but they really should have done a better job with the animation. Put more effort

You can immediately do a full 180 run away from enemies without having to quickturn and then start running, that's messed up.

I'm not saying you can't be amazing at the game without having to resort to that but that's still removing restrictions that the game was balanced around.

It's just bad.

KyleCross

Why doesn't pushing a stick in an opposite direction just use a quicker version of the 180-degree turn and normal turn animation that leads into the forward movement? I guess that would be too much work for poor ol' Capcom.

I appreciate that they're finally making this title multiplatform. I appreciate the new lighting. I appreciate that they're going to be adding new content like costumes to the game. I don't appreciate the cheapness however. Crushed blacks, upscaled backgrounds and the lack of true 16:9 support as a result, and jank animation when utilizing a modern control scheme. This mixed with how low-grade Revelations 2 is looking truly is making me feel Capcom is starting to really not give a damn about Resident Evil beyond what money the name brings them.

-MD-

We really need a direct feed of the TGS footage, I only caught 5 minutes of it but it looked way better than this youtube video.

HYDE

Banned
I think it looks terrible...looking forward to Evil Within which doesn't have horrible controls or camera angles.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think it looks terrible...looking forward to Evil Within which doesn't have terrible camera angles.
Bruh....the camera angles were what made RE so great in the first place. Thank god they got rid of that god awful pausing issue during cutscenes. Praise the lord. \(._.)/

Grizzo

The new controls remind me of Resident Evil 2 on the Nintendo 64. There was a "first person control scheme" that made Leon and Claire move just like Jill in that video. It was useful but kinda looked awkward, even for 1999. It shouldn't like that in 2014.

The issue right now with the current control scheme is that it may actually have a detrimental experience to the first-time players. Sure, it may seem to work initially, but what about encounters and scenarios that are designed around the old system. Not to mention the fact that this game uses "fixed" angles which may throw off the player into an even more confusing scenarios especially when the camera changes perspective abruptly.

The benefit of a tank control scheme is that it's heavily reliant on the north-compass control scheme so that even if the camera switches, the player still has a bearings to where their trajectory is. Using a direct control scheme eliminates that advantage. I'd shake my head the moment these new players start complaining how confusing the level design of this game all because CAPCOM has no fucking idea how to create a consistent experience.

RE4 is still the best RE. With that said, I adore the original trilogy. A person can love both RE styles.

I love it to but eh, to me atleast, the original trilogy is still better simple for the fact of atmosphere, tension, sense of progression, puzzle solving, reading notes that give hints/references to future puzzles or items that you picked up as you play, mood, SOUNDTRACK and how at any time you could be at the brink of danger even if you just thought you were out of it a minute ago.

I even prefer Code Veronica over RE4. Actually, Code veronica proved that Capcom was still able to keep RE's identity while it being fully 3D and while the other half of the game is backtracking, I thought they were creative in how you explored the same familiar ground yet everything looked/felt different as you went into new and old places where with Claire you didn't/couldn't. Which surprises me why Capcom's other game DMC4 has such lazy backtracking when you play with the other character with absolutely nothing new and the same fucking boss fights.

I think the best thing about the original RE's for me is that you start out in such a simple place or setting but it turns into a much bigger and complex thing. Mansion, Police Station, Jail Cell,Streets.etc after exploring and progressing you reminisce about the places you were in as you find/found the key that may take you someplace that is not something familiar and way outside where you spend most of your time playing, exploring and going through.

Like who would have thought in RE1, you'd go through a mansion that has a big ass underground lab? or how about in RE2, you go through a police station that ends up with you being in a sewer which leads to a secret lab that has a train station for an escape. I may sound crazy but the original style RE's always manages to make me miss the place where I was because I spent so much time exploring, unlocking doors, doing puzzles, going through notes, defeated bosses, listening to the fantastic score of that place.etc that when I finally reach to the point of progressing without returning to the place I was makes me sad but also gives such a sense of progression that no RE except the original style was able to capture.

I love it to but eh, to me atleast, the original trilogy is still better simple for the fact of atmosphere, tension, sense of progression, puzzle solving, reading notes that give hints/references to future puzzles or items that you picked up as you play, mood, SOUNDTRACK and how at any time you could be at the brink of danger even if you just thought you were out of it a minute ago.

I even prefer Code Veronica over RE4. Actually, Code veronica proved that Capcom was still able to keep RE's identity while it being fully 3D and while the other half of the game is backtracking, I thought they were creative in how you explored the same familiar ground yet everything looked/felt different as you went into new and old places where with Claire you didn't/couldn't. Which surprises me why Capcom's other game DMC4 has such lazy backtracking when you play with the other character with absolutely nothing new and the same fucking boss fights.

I think the best thing about the original RE's for me is that you start out in such a simple place or setting but it turns into a much bigger and complex thing. Mansion, Police Station, Jail Cell,Streets.etc after exploring and progressing you reminisce about the places you were in as you find/found the key that may take you someplace that is not something familiar and way outside where you spend most of your time playing, exploring and going through.

Like who would have thought in RE1, you'd go through a mansion that has a big ass underground lab? or how about in RE2, you go through a police station that ends up with you being in a sewer which leads to a secret lab that has a train station for an escape. I may sound crazy but the original style RE's always manages to make me miss the place where I was because I spent so much time exploring, unlocking doors, doing puzzles, going through notes, defeated bosses, listening to the fantastic score of that place.etc that when I finally reach to the point of progressing without returning to the place I was makes me sad but also gives such a sense of progression that no RE except the original style was able to capture.

Perfect post 10/10. Couldn't agree with you more.

Anth0ny

I think 4 has all of these things.

It's 5 and 6 that lost it.

I think 4 has all of these things.

It's 5 and 6 that lost it.

With 4 you are mostly going forward during the entire game. You are not given the time to grow into your environment and surroundings, infact the whole pace of RE4 is faster then all of the other RE's combined. In the original RE's you psychologically felt stronger without the need of upgrading weapons because you got used to your surroundings and learned everything by heart which gives you the sense of progression and satisfaction that RE4 and above just doesn't, imo,

Unlike in RE4 where you upgrade weapons and such. All you did in the original style of RE games was gain new weapons and even then they weren't much help at all because good luck managing places for your items, herbs and other weapons so you'll have to make a choice by what to keep in the safe box and what not. You won't use the new weapons you got because of them having low ammo most of the time, most of the time you will be relying on your trusty handgun and even then you got to manage your ammo so you most likely not have to shoot everything in sight but try running away and collecting ammo as much as you can.

I agree with Jawmuncher though, both styles cannot be compared, at all. I'm just stating why I adore the previous style of RE games. A couple of years ago, I played 1 - 3 and just this month I finished RE:Code Veronica. Still amazing, amazing games. We may never get anything like it again but I am glad we have the originals to experience them.

Edit: Another thing I love about the original style of RE games is that the camera angles always feel like someone is watching over you. Just the whole camera angle gives such a sense of depth, perspective, mood and atmosphere that TPS doesn't cover.

With 4 you are mostly going forward during the entire game. You are not given the time to grow into your environment and surroundings, infact the whole pace of RE4 is faster then all of the other RE's combined. In the original RE's you physiologically felt stronger without the need of upgrading weapons because you got used to your surroundings and learned everything by heart which gives you the sense of progression and satisfaction that RE4 and above just doesn't, imo,

Unlike in RE4 where you upgrade weapons and such. All you did in the original style of RE games was gain new weapons and even then they weren't much help at all because good luck managing places for your items, herbs and other weapons so you'll have to make a choice by what to keep in the safe box and what not. You won't use the new weapons you got because of them having low ammo most of the time, most of the time you will be relying on your trusty handgun and even then you got to manage your ammo so you most likely not have to shoot everything in sight but try running away and collecting ammo as much as you can.

I agree with Jawmuncher though, both styles cannot be compared, at all. I'm just stating why I adore the previous style of RE games. A couple of years ago, I played 1 - 3 and just this month I finished RE:Code Veronica. Still amazing, amazing games. We may never get anything like it again but I am glad we have the originals to experience them.

Edit: Another thing I love about the original style of RE games is that the camera angles always feel like someone is watching over you. Just the whole camera angle gives such a sense of depth, perspective, mood and atmosphere that TPS doesn't cover.

Totally agree with your thoughts here. Recently played RE 1-3 on my Vita and find the experience still amazing to this day. I really like that they use the environments a lot and get you familiar with them, rather than racing through them as backdrops for endless zombie killing.

Top Bottom