• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Miguel81

I love it to but eh, to me atleast, the original trilogy is still better simple for the fact of atmosphere, tension, sense of progression, puzzle solving, reading notes that give hints/references to future puzzles or items that you picked up as you play, mood, SOUNDTRACK and how at any time you could be at the brink of danger even if you just thought you were out of it a minute ago.

I even prefer Code Veronica over RE4. Actually, Code veronica proved that Capcom was still able to keep RE's identity while it being fully 3D and while the other half of the game is backtracking, I thought they were creative in how you explored the same familiar ground yet everything looked/felt different as you went into new and old places where with Claire you didn't/couldn't. Which surprises me why Capcom's other game DMC4 has such lazy backtracking when you play with the other character with absolutely nothing new and the same fucking boss fights.

I think the best thing about the original RE's for me is that you start out in such a simple place or setting but it turns into a much bigger and complex thing. Mansion, Police Station, Jail Cell,Streets.etc after exploring and progressing you reminisce about the places you were in as you find/found the key that may take you someplace that is not something familiar and way outside where you spend most of your time playing, exploring and going through.

Like who would have thought in RE1, you'd go through a mansion that has a big ass underground lab? or how about in RE2, you go through a police station that ends up with you being in a sewer which leads to a secret lab that has a train station for an escape. I may sound crazy but the original style RE's always manages to make me miss the place where I was because I spent so much time exploring, unlocking doors, doing puzzles, going through notes, defeated bosses, listening to the fantastic score of that place.etc that when I finally reach to the point of progressing without returning to the place I was makes me sad but also gives such a sense of progression that no RE except the original style was able to capture.

OrsonWellesclapping.gif
This is exactly how I feel as well. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

I think 4 has all of these things.

It's 5 and 6 that lost it.

Not in the same vein, but 4 still has the blood of the older games, and that combined with the new and improved combat system made it special. Not a big fan of the ultra-confident and sarcastic Leon, though.

Edit: That Youtube video up there is horrid, and not because of the fact that it's dark as hell. The control system.....ugh.

Jesus, they've done such a good job with those animated prerendered backgrounds back then, the game still looks absolutely impressive, even today.
The new lighting is beautifully done, and the camera pan works so well here you could think it was always supposed to be part of the game's visual presentation, and not just implemented for widescreen compatibility.
Can't wait for this.
This thread is the usual negative whine fest, though, and sad to go through. I'm just happy to finally get a chance to play this, and even happier to see it's not just a quick cheap port job.

What puzzles?

Killing am enemy, that drops a stone, that you need to put in the door right behinderte enemy isn't a puzzle.

And the atmosphere is totally different too.
I just said there weren't really puzzles, nor notes to solve what couple "puzzles" were there. 1,2,3,4 and spin the stone in a circle were the hardest puzzles in RE4.

I never said that the atmosphere was the same.

Randam

You said it easily has everything besides the notes.

And talking about the notes: why are they in English and why do they already know Leon us coming in the first note you find in the village?

ArjanN

Jesus, they've done such a good job with those animated prerendered backgrounds back then, the game still looks absolutely impressive, even today.

Yeah, maybe part of it is the video quality hiding some of the imperfections, but IMO it basically looks like it could have come out today.

OrsonWellesclapping.gif
This is exactly how I feel as well. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Not in the same vein, but 4 still has the blood of the older games, and that combined with the new and improved combat system made it special. Not a big fan of the ultra-confident and sarcastic Leon, though.

Edit: That Youtube video up there is horrid, and not because of the fact that it's dark as hell. The control system.....ugh.

It is my pleasure!

Totally agree with your thoughts here. Recently played RE 1-3 on my Vita and find the experience still amazing to this day. I really like that they use the environments a lot and get you familiar with them, rather than racing through them as backdrops for endless zombie killing.

YES. I played them on PS3 with Code Veronica on Xbox 360, fantastic games. They use the environment in such a smart way that you start off not knowing anything to then learning everything by heart which helps when you want to head to places from point A to B. Not to mention each place has it's own piece of music so you'll find yourself humming the music as you go from door to door. The save room themes are enough to call the OST's of RE 1 - Veronica X GOAT.

I like to compare the original style of RE games to metroidvania games. In the sense you start out in one place but then slowly get stronger and progress through the game which also makes you reminisce about the old places you were in because you spent so much time there and really grew as a character except here you psychologically grow as a character by learning the ins and outs of where you are plus what is the fastest way from going to point A to point B after having the needed item to open a door lets say. Which is why I say that this sense of progression reminds me of baby birds that learn to leave their nest after sometime.

RE4 and above just don't have that sense of progression, satisfaction or growth as a player because they are not designed for you to be in one place and slowly you open up new places as you flourish in the environment, It doesn't give you the time to do so since it is designed in a way that you are, for the most part, always moving forward. In any case, I can't wait for RE: Remake HD, going to play the shit out of it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Slightly.

Is there really no direct feed of the TGS demo? Nobody recorded it?

The screen I saw the original was different from the one I was looking at that one on. I don't think it's actually better, it only looks a bit different because they've got it frames which shrinks it a bit.

Xpliskin

That Japanese dub.
Those voices. KURISU DOKO DA !?
I'm definetely getting the Japanese version, extra cheese dressing.

Switching screen is instant now, pretty cool.

.... that "all-directions" control mode needs a lot of work.
They butchered the attention to detail that went into OG chris and jill.

KyleCross

I hope the game is well optimized for PC, I think it's kinda silly how demanding RE5 and 6 were. If this runs as well as Revelations does, I'll be good.

Sectus

I hope the game is well optimized for PC, I think it's kinda silly how demanding RE5 and 6 were. If this runs as well as Revelations does, I'll be good.

RE5 and RE6 are demanding? I can see how they're demanding in no mercy mode, but otherwise they're among the most optimized games I've played on PC.

Anyway, as long as it's done in house, I think chances are very high it'll be a good port. Capcom Japan hasn't made a single bad PC port.

Yeah, what? I could run both 5 and 6 on my old ass laptop, and they ran incredibly smooth as well. You must either be confusing their performance with some other game or you've been trying to get a stable framerate with them on your 14 yrs old Windows 98 PC. 5 and 6 run well on anything.

Yeah, maybe part of it is the video quality hiding some of the imperfections, but IMO it basically looks like it could have come out today.

I love your Avatar!

-MD-

Guy I co-op'd with said RE5 ran 60fps on a 4850 and a 7770. That's like the opposite of demanding.

I think I still have the RE1 GC remake somewhere so I'll probably just play that on dolphin instead.

BTW, REZero is my favorite RE game.
COME AT ME BROS!

With classic controls and in 4:3 format this'll rock on PS3 and 360.
The 512x448-background images upscaled to 960x720 should still look gorgeous.

16:9 pan&scan at FullHD on PS4/XBone will be hideous though - that's something like 512x384 or 512x360 upscaled to 1920x1080. That won't be pretty.
You could disable 1080p-output in system settings though and then also play in 4:3 format at 720p.

I wonder how the game looks at 480p if you disable all HD-modes.

KyleCross

Yeah, what? I could run both 5 and 6 on my old ass laptop, and they ran incredibly smooth as well. You must either be confusing their performance with some other game or you've been trying to get a stable framerate with them on your 14 yrs old Windows 98 PC. 5 and 6 run well on anything.

I love your Avatar!
Dat hyperbole.

And thanks. Jessica Albert is life.
RE5 and RE6 are demanding? I can see how they're demanding in no mercy mode, but otherwise they're among the most optimized games I've played on PC.

Anyway, as long as it's done in house, I think chances are very high it'll be a good port. Capcom Japan hasn't made a single bad PC port.
Guy I co-op'd with said RE5 ran 60fps on a 4850 and a 7770. That's like the opposite of demanding.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh by saying they were demanding. I don't hit a solid 60fps in RE5 with everything maxed at 1080p and RE6 can drop below 30fps with the same.

Bl@de

I'd suggest PC version. If Capcom won't add in the option to skip door animations, then modders will.

Funny Thing: Resident Evil 1 on PC (1997) had all the good things^^ Keyboard/Controller Support, 3Dfx Graphics and skippable Doors^^ Going back, it is actually a very good port, that is still fully functioning on Win7 x64. Except the terrible Installation (exe is always launched from Disc).

Shin-Ra

16:9 pan&scan at FullHD on PS4/XBone will be hideous though - that's something like 512x384 or 512x360 upscaled to 1920x1080. That won't be pretty.
You could disable 1080p-output in system settings though and then also play in 4:3 format at 720p.

If you're playing on a 1080p display, it's getting upscaled to that anyway. Better to have one internal scaling process than an internal then tv upscaling.

Mr_Zombie

Funny Thing: Resident Evil 1 on PC (1997) had all the good things^^ Keyboard/Controller Support, 3Dfx Graphics and skippable Doors^^ Going back, it is actually a very good port, that is still fully functioning on Win7 x64. Except the terrible Installation (exe is always launched from Disc).

And it has the uncensored intro :3

Is the game still fully functional on modern PC and systems? I remember having problems with the game few years ago - it run way too fast (like, really fast). I had to use CPU hog program to slow down CPU in order to even be able to play the game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Resident Evil with Japanese voices just doesn't click. It was even awkward in Project X Zone.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
BTW, REZero is my favorite RE game.
COME AT ME BROS!

It needs to be done. REZero was one of my fav RE as well.
That being said, i think they are testing the waters, if RE: Remake HD succeed in sales, they will definitely remaster Zero.

It would be awesome if they port RE2 and Nemesis along with Outbreak and File #2. These last 2 games would sell very well considering they are online games with co-op. I never got the chance to play it online in my PS2 because the ISPs were too crappy back then, at least in my country.

As for me, i'm anxiously waiting for the suculent Steam pre-order.

haikira

Never knew you could play in the original ratio, until checking out the latest video. That's pretty neat.

Had that been confirmed before?

Yeah, those japanese voices have got to be brand new, right ? I thought RE6 was the first game in the series to have had voices in languages other than English.

The problem with the free control i'm seeing in videos is that there is no acceleration or deceleration for turning, it's like the character will instantly snap to the new direction you press. I bet if you spun the stick around like a mario party minigame the character would just spin in place and look completely stupid.

They really need to fix that before release, but they won't, what we are seeing is more or less what we will get IMO.

gelf

Never knew you could play in the original ratio, until checking out the latest video. That's pretty neat.

Had that been confirmed before?

It was confirmed on the initial announcement, but it kinda got drowned out by people getting outraged at the pan and scan making it look like it wasn't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was confirmed on the initial announcement, but it kinda got drowned out by people getting outraged at the pan and scan making it look like it wasn't.

Fortunately, based on the TGS videos .. it seems like the pan and scan actually works very well. The only thing of concern is how much they've actually redrawn the assets.

waiting for Gamersyde direct feed goodness. Won't mind ordering the retail PS3 version off of play asia once its released and someone confirms whether it has English text.

Bl@de

And it has the uncensored intro :3

Is the game still fully functional on modern PC and systems? I remember having problems with the game few years ago - it run way too fast (like, really fast). I had to use CPU hog program to slow down CPU in order to even be able to play the game.

Ah yeah right. You have to do that^^. Here are my NVIDA Inspector Settings. The Game als supports SGSSAA^^ Frames should be set to 30fps. If you have an AMD Card and can't use the Inspector ... well gee, sry^^

Before Starting/Installing the Game click on the corresponding exe (SETUP, LAUNCH) and set it to:
- Run as Administrator
- Compatibility Mode: Win 98
- Disable Visual Designs

Finished. Runs on modern 64bit Systems. Don't forget to set your Monitor to 4:3. The game didn't have 16:9^^

No bugs, no glitches, no graphic errors. Surprisingly smooth for an old Capcpom Port.

Settings:
http://abload.de/image.php?img=einstellungenuhs27.png

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

RE5 runs incredibly well. Dont be ridiculous.

I...I dont think you understand how resolutions and scaling works...

Mr_Zombie

Ah yeah right. You have to do that^^. Here are my NVIDA Inspector Settings. The Game als supports SGSSAA^^ Frames should be set to 30fps. If you have an AMD Card and can't use the Inspector ... well gee, sry^^

Before Starting/Installing the Game click on the corresponding exe (SETUP, LAUNCH) and set it to:
- Run as Administrator
- Compatibility Mode: Win 98
- Disable Visual Designs

Finished. Runs on modern 64bit Systems. Don't forget to set your Monitor to 4:3. The game didn't have 16:9^^

No bugs, no glitches, no graphic errors. Surprisingly smooth for an old Capcpom Port.

Settings:
http://abload.de/image.php?img=einstellungenuhs27.png

Thanks. I'll try to play the game before REmake's release, just to refresh old memories :).

If you're playing on a 1080p display, it's getting upscaled to that anyway. Better to have one internal scaling process than an internal then tv upscaling.
True of course. Forgot about that. A 1080p display can't just switch to a different native resolution. It has just one.

I...I dont think you understand how resolutions and scaling works...
The numbers should be correct.
In 4:3 format the full 512x448 pixels of the original background gfx are upscaled to 960x720 for 720p and 1440x1080 for 1080p - plus black bars on the sides.
In 16:9 format not the full background is displayed. Only 512x360 or 512x384 are upscaled to 1280x720 for 720p and 1920x1080 for 1080p.
So in 16:9 format even less information is upscaled to an even larger area of the screen - hence the image quality must be worse in widescreen.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
True of course. Forgot about that. A 1080p display can't just switch to a different native resolution. It has just one.

The numbers should be correct.
In 4:3 format the full 512x448 pixels of the original background gfx are upscaled to 960x720 for 720p and 1440x1080 for 1080p - plus black bars on the sides.
In 16:9 format not the full background is displayed. Only 512x360 or 512x384 are upscaled to 1280x720 for 720p and 1920x1080 for 1080p.
So in 16:9 format even less information is upscaled to an even larger area of the screen - hence the image quality must be worse in widescreen.

What I mean is that the only way 512x448 scaled up to 960x720 then scaled up to 1440x1080 will realistically look better than 512x448 scaled up to 1440x1080 is if you decide to just keep it as a 960x720 image in the center of a 1920x1080 display. Otherwise, you're just scaling twice, with lower resolution models, and an additional layer of blur.

You're right 16:9 will be extra blown up, but 16:9 is being offered on both last gen and current gen consoles so it isn't really necessary to limit the application to one set of consoles or the other.

What I mean is that the only way 512x448 scaled up to 960x720 then scaled up to 1440x1080 will realistically look better than 512x448 scaled up to 1440x1080 is if you decide to just keep it as a 960x720 image in the center of a 1920x1080 display. Otherwise, you're just scaling twice, with lower resolution models, and an additional layer of blur.

You're right 16:9 will be extra blown up, but 16:9 is being offered on both last gen and current gen consoles so it isn't really necessary to limit the application to one set of consoles or the other.
Ah, okay - you're right. Yeah, I just forgot about flatscreens having only one native resolution.
Maybe on an old native 720p-display ("HD Ready") the PS3-version will look better then. ;)

Top Bottom