• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

This is just looking better and better as more information and videos come out. However I can't help but be a little sad that a ton of people are going to play this classic for the first time and not stray from the defaults, thus end up playing it with these new terrible analog controls and pan and scan camera. I can already see a lot of the reviews complaining about the difficulty after they use the new instant turn speed to run circles around enemies that were designed around the original controls.

This is just looking better and better as more information and videos come out. However I can't help but be a little sad that a ton of people are going to play this classic for the first time and not stray from the defaults, thus end up playing it with these new terrible analog controls and pan and scan camera. I can already see a lot of the reviews complaining about the difficulty after they use the new instant turn speed to run circles around enemies that were designed around the original controls.

Exactly. It looks hilarious in the video how the characters just spirals out of control when the camera angle changes.

Bar_bar12

Banned
This is going to be awesome, going through the game again. The only thing that'll make it better, is releasing it physically for current-gen consoles.

Did not like the part in the gameinformer video where he discussed a hypothetical RE2 REmake with the possibility of being third person action games...

Like, no. You don't have to consider that as an option. You have two amazing blueprints to work from: REmake and RE2. Don't fuck it up.

Yes. In this aspect Resident Evil 3 is much closer to the linear approach of modern Resident Evil games.

That's true, but I dig how they function as mini-versions of classic RE level design. You get to know each space pretty well through backtracking and multiple objectives, and then move on to the next cool location. I really liked the pacing in the back half of RE3.

That's true, but I dig how they function as mini-versions of classic RE level design. You get to know each space pretty well through backtracking and multiple objectives, and then move on to the next cool location. I really liked the pacing in the back half of RE3.

Pretty much, instead of having one giant puzzle like the mansion or the station you have multiple smaller locations though to be fair the city area is just as big as those, it's the second half that is designed that way. It's a nice change of pace imo.

Looks like CAPCOM actually does a decent job on this remaster. I really liked what I saw in the most recent video. I never thought CAPCOM would release REmake on PC, even though I have begged them to do so in their costumer surveys for years. Hopefully this remaster will be a success, which might pave the way for Zero remaster later on. Who knows, if these games actually sell CAPCOM might be tempted to do REmake style RE2/RE3.

Title updated!

About time!

Also, does anyone know anything about the size of the artbook that comes with japanese collectors package? All I have found is that it is 48 pages, but not much else.

A100049851210.jpg

Shin-Ra

Haha, ok. They covered the readjusting the analog stick when the camera angle changes thing and admitted they probably still didn't find the ideal solution.

I just got the new Game Informer and call me crazy but it looks like the
Elder Crimson Head
had more
Licker like claws
. I'm not sure if it was present in the older game but I noticed it instantly.

I am very excited for this after that interview. Confident the team gets it, and the product looks surprisingly well-done for the limitations placed on it. I don't think we can expect the perfect Remake of a remake of a game but I'm very happy with this product. It will be amazing to play RE1 again, it's been a long time.

I also feel the panning is very subtle in most cases and we'll get used to it as time goes on.

Cubed

This might be my most anticipated game of the first 6 months of 2015.

Loved RE1 on PS1, loved REmake even more, and have been wanting a remaster of REmake since the PS3 came out.

Did not like the part in the gameinformer video where he discussed a hypothetical RE2 REmake with the possibility of being third person action games...

Like, no. You don't have to consider that as an option. You have two amazing blueprints to work from: REmake and RE2. Don't fuck it up.
Indeed. His answers about everything else were really on the money in terms of respecting the source material, but that answer about possible RE2 and RE3 remakes was totally out of left field.

If they remade 2 as a 3D game I would be so friggin sad. Even if it would turn out a great remake it would mean I would never get the remake in style of the first one. The first remake was absolutely perfect and REmake 2 is one of my top 3 dream games.

Unfortunately I don't think the Capcom of today would make it any other way than 3D shooter. It's perfectly understandable too why they would be scared of putting tons of work to a game that is very old school in design and something that just is too different to what most gamers of today are used to.

Grief.exe

This project is relatively cheap for Capcom, but greenlighting a full on REmake 2 in the classic style may be too 'risky' of an investment.

Such a game won't easily appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I just got the new Game Informer and call me crazy but it looks like the
Elder Crimson Head
had more
Licker like claws
. I'm not sure if it was present in the older game but I noticed it instantly.

It seems like they are completely redoing all of the 3d models in the game.

This might be my most anticipated game of the first 6 months of 2015.

Loved RE1 on PS1, loved REmake even more, and have been wanting a remaster of REmake since the PS3 came out.

Go take a look at Below from Cappy games, coming early 2015 to PC and XBO.

Try your best to contain the hype.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This project is relatively cheap for Capcom, but greenlighting a full on REmake 2 in the classic style may be too 'risky' of an investment.

They already stated they are not completely redoing all of the 3D models in the video, especially the characters.

My opinion of the game has completely changed since its reveal two months ago. It looked terrible then, but now it looks much better. Those screenshots from August looked aweful; they must have done some worked since then.

I'm sure they will keep doing it till release date. It can only get better from here on out.

UrbanRats

That was a nice interview.
The panning doesn't look bad to me, tbh, i'm more worried about the crushed blacks and sharpening.
As for the controls, definitely gonna go with tank controls, as shit as they are, the other option just looks weird and no dpad is going to feel as bad as the GameCube's, so it's gonna be an improvement either way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

In the video they said only changes in character models are texture work, because the OG models were already stupidly high poly. That does include stuff like normal maps which explains why models may seem more detailed, but the actual polys are identical.

In the video they said only changes in character models are texture work, because the OG models were already stupidly high poly. That does include stuff like normal maps which explains why models may seem more detailed, but the actual polys are identical.
REmake was the first game to make me go... Wait... Where are the polygons?

Watching the GameInformer interview right now.... FANTASTIC!

Definitely gonna buy the PS3 version now from PlayAsia just so I can have a hardcopy on my shelf.
Still buying the PS4 version as my primary though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
REmake was the first game to make me go... Wait... Where are the polygons?

I decided to actually check out how high poly the models are since I remembered the developers statement aaaaand... It is pretttty damn high poly. First example is cutscene models, second ones are in game models

It's interesting how zoomed out, it almost looks like the regular model, but as you get close in you can really appreciate all the polys that went into it.

And as a fun comparison, here is RE2!

Firstly, if they keep the door animations in (which im fine with, it makes tension), then they should at least improve them i think. Instead of a black background, maybe part of the wall too?

Also, there are reasons this game can't be 60fps. Some of the backgrounds are animated pre rendered backgrounds. Already animated at 30.. having 60fps characters and 30fps backgrounds would be kinda odd, right? i dunno, maybe it wouldn't look so bad..
here is a video of some of ZERO's backgrounds, you might see what i'm talking about (not the best examples in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-cU7-i4MdA

I know, but it would be a damn shame if they finally made a REmake 2 only for it to not at all be what the long time fans wanted. I guess we'll see how well REmake sells.

Alfredo

That Game Informer interview was really good. Good job, Tim Turi!

Game footage was really good, as the player (I assume it was Tim) experimented with the new controls. The free movement stuff makes it looks like you can cheese with the knife pretty easily. I'm definitely gonna try that, lol.

I'm almost entirely turned around on this game, which is funny. I started out really excited, then got really disappointed, and now I'm kinda back up here.

Top Bottom