• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

-MD-

The new control scheme really looks like it ruins the game. The thought of someone experiencing the game for the first time with those controls makes me sad.

There has to be a toggle between controls. I cant imagine playing REmake with fucking RE4 controls. How could it even work unless the camera is directly behind Jill or Chris?

Blueblur1

iSFUnxWLH0vCL.jpg

i1BdpiTnTEj3R.jpg

I'm okay with that.

-MD-

There has to be a toggle between controls. I cant imagine playing REmake with fucking RE4 controls. How could it even work unless the camera is directly behind Jill or Chris?

You can choose between the traditional intended controls or the new analog one. The new control scheme is very different from RE4's controls.

Bl@de

The new control scheme really looks like it ruins the game. The thought of someone experiencing the game for the first time with those controls makes me sad.

Yeah. Chris doesn't look like he's running. He is having a seizure while twerking through the mansion on cocaine. But I'm excited to see what the control scheme will bring for speedruns

the footage of the game is awesome here

I knew the last question would happen, although I thought it'd also include a question about RE0. With that said, I do hope that if they do a RE2/3 remake that it remains 2D/pre-rendered. Every new modern RE is going to go 3D, so there's no reason to go in that direction with those games. It's okay to remain traditional with them.

Jawmuncher

I knew the last question would happen, although I thought it'd also include a question about RE0. With that said, I do hope that if they do a RE2/3 remake that it remains 2D/pre-rendered. Every new modern RE is going to go 3D, so there's no reason to go in that direction with those games. It's okay to remain traditional with them.

To be fair if they got to RE 2-3 they would probably have to remake them fully unless the PC versions could offer some help in a transition to HD. With that said just because you go 3D doesn't mean it can't keep the set camera angles and such.

-MD-

I think I'd rather have a new RE in the style of REmake than a complete remake of 2 or 3.

Though if they took 2/3 and did what they did with RE1>REmake and have it be (according to Mikami) "70% different" from the original with new rooms and shit then I'd be totally fine with that.

Shin-Ra

I bet the screen-relative controls have that age-old problem of viewpoint changes meaning you have to let go of the stick or make an exaggerated adjustment for the character to move in a new direction.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Huh. The dev in that GI video mentions that the backgrounds are "720p" which I assume means they're actually 1280x800, since they mention the image is actually compressed down in a bit 4:3 mode. I hope this doesn't mean that the final images for the next gen/PC versions will be at 1280x800, Capcom scaling on top of display scaling sounds like too many layers of data changing.

BD1

Banned
I think I'd rather have a new RE in the style of REmake than a complete remake of 2 or 3.

Though if they took 2/3 and did what they did with RE1>REmake and have it be (according to Mikami) "70% different" from the original with new rooms and shit then I'd be totally fine with that.

I always wanted them to tie the stories of RE 2&3 into a mega, REmake style masterpiece. Game starts as Jill, you play right up until she passes out, switches to Leon/Claire in the RPD Station, then back to the second half of RE3. That is the actual canon timeline.

Jawmuncher

I would love for a RE3 where Nemesis appearances were fully random.

Alienous

The new controls seem terrible. When the camera angle keeps changing you really need forward and backwards motion to be determined by constant, dedicated controls. Even David Cage knew this, and he knows nothing about gameplay.

The new controls seem terrible. When the camera angle keeps changing you really need forward and backwards motion to be determined by constant, dedicated controls. Even David Cage knew this, and he knows nothing about gameplay.

People that weren't willing to get used to the controls for 10 minutes back in the day were always facepalm worthy. It isn't the best way, but old RE was made by competent people who built the games around them in a natural way and also used them to their advantage, especially in the REmake (camera angles). Of course, new controls will be terrible and not lessen any of the unavoidable whining about ,,archaic'' design or whatever. (Well, the new generation thinking that indie jump scare simulators are good survival horror games will probably be alienated by the actual complex gameplay in general)

-MD-

I'm not an achievement person at all but since this is one of my favorite games ever I was considering really going hard on those and getting them all but the thought of someone using the new analog controls and just cheesing the game really makes me not wanna bother.

People that weren't willing to get used to the controls for 10 minutes back in the day were always facepalm worthy. It isn't the best way, but old RE was made by competent people who built the games around them in a natural way and also used them to their advantage, especially in the REmake (camera angles). Of course, new controls will be terrible and not lessen any of the unavoidable whining about ,,archaic'' design or whatever. (Well, the new generation thinking that indie jump scare simulators are good survival horror games will probably be alienated by the complex gameplay in general)
Of course. But you put them in just so people can't complain that you didn't.

Tank controls remain the way to actually play... but such control schemes have been showing up in the series on and off for ages. RE2 on the N64 had such an option, for example.

To be fair if they got to RE 2-3 they would probably have to remake them fully unless the PC versions could offer some help in a transition to HD. With that said just because you go 3D doesn't mean it can't keep the set camera angles and such.

Oh, I fully expect that it would be a groundup remake. I doubt that any of those original assets are usable for a current generation game. Just like with something like FF7. But I mentioned pre-rendered backgrounds because i'm really curious about what a AAA developer could do with them on current gen platforms. I just want to see what level of visual detail they could hit in terms of backgrounds, lighting, models etc.

Chabbles

I hope they give a film grain option. Ill crank that shit up full blast. Every game could use a film grain meter as an option, subtle amounts in certain games would be nice.

Mindman

I hope they give a film grain option. Ill crank that shit up full blast. Every game could use a film grain meter as an option, subtle amounts in certain games would be nice.

Lol, your comment made me cringe because I hate film grain with a passion and would like nothing more than to see it banished from video games forever. But yes, he mentioned the game has one as I commented on a few posts above. Just let us turn it on or off and keep all parties happy... :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

You should check out GeDoSaTo and/or SweetFx. Both have an option to inject film grain into games. GeDo works for DX9 games, SweetFx works for DX9/DX11 games.

Mr_Zombie

That's a pretty good interview. I love the detailed explanation about Crimson Heads and Lickers. :)

Did I understand it correctly that the crypt where the first crimson head is found was completely remade in polygons here?

Oh man, when was the last pre-rendered game? I'd also love to see a modern one...

A lot of PC point & click adventure games have pre-rendered backgrounds ;)

good interview, glad they are taking care on remastering the rooms like that.

Sometimes releasing an announcement of a remaster along with a good interview or info video is what you need to do instead of letting theory run wild.

Chabbles

Lol, your comment made me cringe because I hate film grain with a passion and would like nothing more than to see it banished from video games forever. But yes, he mentioned the game has one as I commented on a few posts above. Just let us turn it on or off and keep all parties happy... :)

Hey man, each to their own. personally ? Cant get enough of that stuff. think its a great filter.

You should check out GeDoSaTo and/or SweetFx. Both have an option to inject film grain into games. GeDo works for DX9 games, SweetFx works for DX9/DX11 games.

Cheers, bookmarked.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I have to say I was real down on this remaster when they first showed it (the first media released looked horrible) but my opinion has changed. The recent media released looks pretty good, even if it is upscaled. It looks like it will be doing the original game justice.

Sectus

Yeah. Chris doesn't look like he's running. He is having a seizure while twerking through the mansion on cocaine. But I'm excited to see what the control scheme will bring for speedruns

I'm curious if speedrunners will prefer the old version, or this new one. I could see some speedrunners think that the new controls kinda dumb down the speedrun.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yep, after seeing the Gameinformer video interview count me in for scrubbing the sarcastic title - 1000+ camera shots looked at on a case by case basis either being upgraded, added to or completely redone on top of everything else.

We were wrong and quick to prejudge. The guys doing it sound equally very respectful of the original and staying true.

RedSwirl

It's not really clear. He says they took the original backgrounds and "adjusted" the resolution, which could also mean they rerendered them at higher resolution. Surely, he seems to imply that they did not lose the original data.

I don't think he can outright say they're upscaling low-res backgrounds, but that's what's happening. The good news is they're looking at each background on a case-by-case basis and coming up with the best (that is, least bad) solution for each individual one.

gelf

This video tells me that there are still people at Capcom who know what you need in a Survival Horror game. His comments on the controls confirmed that.

I don't like the panning though, it makes the fact the backgrounds are just 2D more obvious. I remember some of the backgrounds in zero did panning too and it had the same problem.

I don't think he can outright say they're upscaling low-res backgrounds, but that's what's happening. The good news is they're looking at each background on a case-by-case basis and coming up with the best (that is, least bad) solution for each individual one.

The problem is, some backgrounds are definitely not upscaled.

remake_rerender_by_alooo81-d81z4sc.gif

So if they are not rerendered, they must have been redrawing some of them, maybe the ones that would look too bad when upscaled.

scitek

The problem is, some backgrounds are definitely not upscaled.

remake_rerender_by_alooo81-d81z4sc.gif

So if they are not rerendered, they must have been redrawing some of them, maybe the ones that would look too bad when upscaled.

Yeah, he mentioned that they redid some things that were impossible to just upscale, like the candles in the main hall when they're right in the camera.

The game looks ok in the pan & scan mode, but it'll look even better in 4:3 since then the backgrounds won't be blown up to fill the screen. That's how I'll be playing.

-MD-

The game looks ok in the pan & scan mode, but it'll look even better in 4:3 since then the backgrounds won't be blown up to fill the screen. That's how I'll be playing.

I think it looks great in widescreen but yeah my first playthrough will be 4:3 for sure.

Yeah, he mentioned that they redid some things that were impossible to just upscale, like the candles in the main hall when they're right in the camera.

To add to that, here's the three approaches the mentions that they took to the backgrounds

1.) Take the original 2D image and tweak the resolution.
2.) Add polygonal elements that didn't exist in the original.
3.) Rebuilt scenes entirely in polygons.

He said that they went through the game scene by scene to figure out which method would be best for that particular scene. The actual visual effects are all remade because they relied so heavily on resolution that they couldn't just upgrade the resolution on the existing effects.

Just replayed RE2&3 on my Vita, hyped as hell to revisit this one as well.
Kinda OT but it's pretty awesome how much RE3 increased the variety of locations you visit throughout the game, compared to 1 and 2.

Top Bottom