• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

This game is hard or what? I picked the option that I'd assume is normal...the one that says not too strenuous that is in the middle? First zombie took 14 rounds to kill which left me with one shot and I had to use a knife on the next encounter and I died on the next zombie. Also opened the front door and dog came through and killed me in one go...couldn't do shit.

Don't open the front door. And you picked easy mode.

Symphonia

Banned
Like RE1 but better-er.
Better in terms of...? Does it retain the original's tank controls or does it have modern-Resi's control scheme?

That it's a lot like RE but some minor changes, that add quite alot to the feeling. Expect gorgeous visuals and a surprise boss fight.
I remember seeing the GC REmake having new 'defense' items, as well as new weapons. Do they add a new element to the game? And is this surprise boss fight a 'OH SHIT SON!' moment?

Mr_Zombie

This game is hard or what? I picked the option that I'd assume is normal...the one that says not too strenuous that is in the middle? First zombie took 14 rounds to kill which left me with one shot and I had to use a knife on the next encounter and I died on the next zombie. Also opened the front door and dog came through and killed me in one go...couldn't do shit.

*In Wesker's voice* Don't open THAT door!

Also, you picked the Easy difficulty setting.
Welcome to the world of survival-horror ;)

KainXVIII

From what i've seen in video previews, the gameplay is horrible. Enemies are horrible. Visuals are horrible.

It goes to say, that this remake has better visuals.

Oh well, hopefully something changes at Capcom and Resident Evil 7 is better than Revelations 2.

...edit: Hopefully, i'm wrong about Revelations 2. Considering the game isn't even out yet, the gameplay and visuals could improve significantly before release. Hopefully.

Not surprising, RE:R1 was also mediocre, maybe not bad for handhelds, but HD port was just outdated with horrible design and stupid plot.

SURGEdude

Minus some upscaled textures the game looks great. Atmosphere and art direction is top notch.

Agreed. It's surprising how good most environments look, and then a few look horrible. The worst one so far being the first room Jill is instructed to walk to after her and Berry split early on (with the statue) You can clearly see compression artifacts from the original GC build all over the floor. But overall I think they did a really good job, even the videos are better than I expected.

Don't open the front door. Don't fight everything. Just run away. Like a normal person would do in that madhouse

Edit: And yeah, you picked "Easy"^^

So it is not feasible to kill everything? Not enough ammo? I've only played RE1,2, and 4 but it seems it takes a lot of bullets to take down a zombie here. And I can't seem to get a headshot for shit. And knifing doesn't seem like a great option.

SURGEdude

So it is not feasible to kill everything? Not enough ammo? I've only played RE1,2, and 4 but it seems it takes a lot of bullets to take down a zombie here. And I can't seem to get a headshot for shit. And knifing doesn't seem like a great option.

Best to knife them once you take them down with a gun first.

Mr_Zombie

So it is not feasible to kill everything? Not enough ammo? I've only played RE1,2, and 4 but it seems it takes a lot of bullets to take down a zombie here.

After a while you will get enough ammo, but you still don't want to kill every single zombie you run into. Also, I don't remember if this still work in REmake, but in classic RE games zombies + shotgun pointed up (at their head) = exploding headshot.

After a while you will get enough ammo, but you still don't want to kill every single zombie you run into. Also, I don't remember if this still work in REmake, but in classic RE games zombies + shotgun pointed up (at their head) = exploding headshot.

Ya that I know but is this possible with the handgun here? I aimed up even close up and nothing.

Neff

It does work, but the timing is strict because the range is too. Fire too early and you'll just knock them back as if you hit them mid level. Fire too late and you get bitten.

Ya that I know but is this possible with the handgun here? I aimed up even close up and nothing.

Chris' handgun will randomly pop zombie heads. Jill's doesn't iirc.

FDC1

PS4 EU version here. I downloaded the first 3GB which should allow me to start the game but I have a lock next to the start option and when I press X it says "impossible to use...". Anyone with the same problem? Is this a licence problem?

Edit: yeah, it was a licence problem, it's corrected after I restoed them. First time it happens to me.

Symphonia

Banned
Yep pretty much if you were able to 1hitKO every zombie, half the fun would be gone. Because reasons. You'll find out.
Oh, so you don't know? You're in for a fun time then. :3
tumblr_m9g391XS2F1rvc1g2.gif

It's decided, I'm buying this.

drotahorror

max everything. have 2500k and 7950. 60fps no dips. I think they use double buffer vsync though and it screws with my framerate. Vsync off is still locked at 60 but cutscenes have tearing. No tearing in gameplay though.

Also, mouse cursor is stuck on screen. I'm sure you've got a place or two to hide it on your monitor though.

I lied. There is tearing in gameplay w/o vsync on it's just way more prevalent in cutscenes. It's not that bad in gameplay though.

KyleCross

how are they censored? There's alot of gore and violence in this.

From what I remember seeing in youtube videos back in the day, whereas the PS1 game you'd get gored something fierce in REmake most deaths consist of a blood spurt and your character letting off a death groan before hitting the floor like a ton of bricks.

Each weapon has a certain damage range and the one from the handgun is pretty wide. You can't really influence it, sometimes you kill a zombie with 3 shots and on your next playthrough it takes like 10 shots or more for the same Zombie. It's always been like that in classic RE, it's really the only thing that makes regular zombies dangerous. "One more shot should do it!". And then it doesn't and he gets you because you didn't back away in time.

And since you and some other first-timers brought up the knife...that's only really good for knife-challenge playthroughs. If you run out of ammo you're better of trying to run past them then to engage in knife-battles.

Speaking of running away...I'd suggest you do exactly that with the first zombie.

Jb

I tried to go back a few pages in this thread to see why the game can't be purchased on US PSN despite people apparently playing it on Gaf, did you have to pre-order it to be able to play it today? Is the official release date later in the week (OP says 20th). Thanks!

I tried to go back a few pages in this thread to see why the game can't be purchased on US PSN despite people apparently playing it on Gaf, did you have to pre-order it to be able to play it today? Is the official release date later in the week (OP says 20th). Thanks!

They did the same with the japanese PSN release in november, people who preordered the game got it earlier...but it was just a difference of a few hours, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hmm. I downloaded the 3gig file and could get started just fine. At one oint it says ''cannot continue until download is complete''. It's just there is no indication my PS4 is downloading anything. Not in the OS downloads list at least...

Hmm. I downloaded the 3gig file and could get started just fine. At one oint it says ''cannot continue until download is complete''. It's just there is no indication my PS4 is downloading anything. Not in the OS downloads list at least...

It is still downloading. Hit information on the game icon

Trying to play using the new controls feels wrong,especially with all the damn camera switching. God, do I hate the camera switching... That and the off screen enemies. I like that the gave isn't holding my hand though, that's one thing modern games should do more of.

Thrakier

Wow, widescreen and FXAA really really hurt the overall image quality. Sadly, downsampling isn't possible as of now. At least DSR doesn't apply, 1080p is max.

Top Bottom