• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Has anyone done the math on Raid experience points?

Like, is there a guide available for XP multiplier based on level and all that?

I'm trying to maximize XP gains with the other players I'm leveling now.

I've never done hard math, but there are diminishing returns on repeating the same stage, so spamming a stage will net you less XP than doing a full gauntlet.

When I power level other characters for a skill I just do full gauntlets and set my level down by 4, you seem to get more XP 4 levels below the recommended, while still keeping the whole thing manageable. At 5 levels below recommended it starts to take a bit too long to clear the stage.

I'd recommend your load out to be a sniper and an assault rifle for dealing with high level enemies quickly, load both with soul eater 6 for double XP on kills, and throw in the highest daze part on the assault rifle so you can use it for crowd control in case you start getting overwhelmed. Sniper should be able to kill anything in 3 hits.

Hope that helps.

Sorry if answered elsewhere, but has anyone else been experiencing issues connecting with RE.net (on PS4)? Always says it's not available whenever I'm in Raid Mode. *keeps on pouring more hours into it*
Yep. Once in awhile it connects but most of the time I get the "not available" message.

heringer

Almost done with Episode 3. Oh man, Barry is quickly turning into the coolest RE character for me. Guy is a badass.

And I thought the good ending path was very intuitive.

Yep, loved it. They all totally pulled it off so well. Had a huge grin on my face watching it.

I literally wanted to fist pump the air at that point. I l cannot think of any other single moment in gaming (recently, at least), that's left me so pumped.

"Barry motherfucking Burton"

GrayChild

Just finished the main campaign and played a bit of The Struggle and The Little Miss.

This is one of the best Resident Evil games ever made (it may become my favorite installment right after REmake and RE3), and possibly one of the greatest titles of 2015. I'm so glad that Capcom still has what it takes to make such games. Holy fuck, what a pleasant surprise! Every, and I mean every issue the game has is due to budget constraints. I'd kill for a AAA Revelations 3 made only for current gen consoles and PC and directed by Anpo.

I'm depressed. :(

I want an Episode 5 this week.

The week does feel empty knowing we there won't be a new episode.

At least a new episode if Life is Strange is coming out to somewhat fill the gap.

Really impresses me how Capcom knocked their first take on episodic gaming out of the park. You could argue it's just one game cut up into episodes, but playing it, you rarely feel like you're playing a game that's been arbitrarily cut up, rather you feel like a game that's truly episodic. The beats are all perfect in how the episode starts and how it ends. You really feel like you're playing episode and you can't wait to get the next piece of story.

Jawmuncher

The week does feel empty knowing we there won't be a new episode.

At least a new episode if Life is Strange is coming out to somewhat fill the gap.

Really impresses me how Capcom knocked their first take on episodic gaming out of the park. You could argue it's just one game cut up into episodes, but playing it, you rarely feel like you're playing a game that's been arbitrarily cut up, rather you feel like a game that's truly episodic. The beats are all perfect in how the episode starts and how it ends. You really feel like you're playing episode and you can't wait to get the next piece of story.

I just appreciate how it's weekly and set in stone. Waiting a random amount of months is just the worst. More devs should go with this format. Even if it has to be every 2 weeks or monthly.

I just appreciate how it's weekly and set in stone. Waiting a random amount of months is just the worst. More devs should go with this format. Even if it has to be every 2 weeks or monthly.

Yup, more developers approaching episodic gaming need to take a long hard look at what Capcom have achieved with Revelations 2 and try their best to emulate it.

Weekly episodes is an amazing way to keep up momentum and to keep people talking about the game and the story as well theorising where it will go next. Waiting upwards of six weeks or more is just madness you end up having to play the previous episode just to remember what happened in the story.

derFeef

Yup, more developers approaching episodic gaming need to take a long hard look at what Capcom have achieved with Revelations 2 and try their best to emulate it.

Weekly episodes is an amazing way to keep up momentum and to keep people talking about the game and the story as well theorising where it will go next. Waiting upwards of six weeks or more is just madness you end up having to play the previous episode just to remember what happened in the story.

Playing it after all of the episodes are out it just feels like Alan Wake, which still has the best episodic setup, if not the best episodic relase. But yeah, I like this format, if it works, like in this case even if you are not playing it like it "should be".

strafer

So while playing through the Sewers I had one of those moments, when Claire mentions her brother, I was like holy shit that's Chris, it's oddly cool somehow that Chris getting mentioned, kinda the way Chris did in RE6.

I dunno, just felt cool.

Semajer

Finished the game last night. Damn. Easily the best game in the series since 4, and it actually resembles a Resident Evil, the first since 0 all those years ago.

I'm amazed at the huge increase in quality from Revelations 1. Rev 1 was good at times, but the sections not on a ship ruined the atmosphere and pacing.

The story was good without being overly cheesy. The atmosphere was good. The locations were good. The pacing was good. The enemies were good (even featuring one-hit-kill enemies that aren't bullshit)
fuck you The Evil Within
. The music was good, but lacking many memorable tracks. The gameplay was good, my favourite in a modern RE by far. Having a dodge mechanic that works is fantastic compared to Rev 1's shitty survival roulette dodge. I could have used a few more puzzles, but at least there were some, and having limited space with which to juggle your supplies was a welcome sight. The bonus episodes are exactly what they should be: little 4th Survivor type deals, but with a bit more meat.

The characters were pretty good, and I was happy to see a final boss that didn't make me cringe with how cheesy it was. Natalia was a surprise too, having a child character that isn't at all annoying, and is competent throughout the whole game.

Then there's Raid Mode. Damn! Damn, damn, damn. I loved Raid Mode in Rev 1, and they managed to make it so much better. I'm going to be playing it for ages.

Overall I'm extremely happy with Revelations 2. If the Resident Evil series is like this from now on I'll be okay with it.

derFeef

I just wanted to remap my keyboard controls but then realized there are some hardcoded keys? Like the inventory key. That really stinks...

Astral Dog

Are you ok with how reviews are handled for this game?
Right now all episodes are like at 75, is that a good score, or the game deserves better as an overall package? would the game score better if it was a retail release for $40?

Or when revies will come out for the retail version.

joe2187

Banned
Right now all episodes are like at 75, is that a good score, or the game deserves better as an overall package? would the game score better if it was a retail release for $40?

Its been noted by now that some of those review scores were lowered dramatically because the reviewer failed to actually play the good ending.

Im not sure if that's the fault of the game for not making it clear that there was a good and bed ending or for the reviewer not being thorough.

If it wasnt for those bad apples im sure the game would be sitting at an 80

Now that the game is getting high praise here, how does everyone feel about the two character system? Do you want it to return in RE7, or would you prefer they ditch it? Obviously if the game is getting a lot of praise it's probably not a negative, but do you feel Capcom can go back to a single character game and be successful if you enjoyed the two character system?

Good ending:

whvASXH.jpg

That's how you should handle your fullblown action in RE if necessary.

Finished the game last night. Damn. Easily the best game in the series since 4, and it actually resembles a Resident Evil, the first since 0 all those years ago.

That's why I might consider this the best modern RE. RE4 might be a milestone, but it never really was RE. 5/6 of course were shit altogether, both as RE- and just games in general.
Rev1 was also close, maybe even closer in certain aspects, but obviously dropped the ball with the minisodes outside of the Jill campaign. Enemies and story were also worse than in Rev2.

Neiteio

Good ending:

That's how you should handle your fullblown action in RE if necessary.
That moment where Barry is all like
"Let ME handle this"
, and then the
slow-mo walk
, and then
"I'll always need you, but for now, I have THIS"
, and then the
Commando-style montage of loading his magnum
, I was ready to leap off my couch and do a freeze-frame fist-pump in the air.

Bardiche

Just finished the game last night.

I was ecstatic when
Claire showed up in a chopper. She was a total badass when she finished off Alex.
Overall, Revelations 2 was a phenomenal experience. The characters, atmosphere, storyline, gameplay mechanics, and the episodic format all worked really well. If Resident Evil continues to pump out quality titles like this one, then there is a lot to look forward to.

In terms of reviews, it's disappointing to see a comprehensive score that is lower than 80 since people might clump Revelations 2 along with the later Resident Evil games without giving this game a chance, but hopefully GAF's love for the game will inspire others to check it out!

Ralemont

not me
Now that the game is getting high praise here, how does everyone feel about the two character system? Do you want it to return in RE7, or would you prefer they ditch it? Obviously if the game is getting a lot of praise it's probably not a negative, but do you feel Capcom can go back to a single character game and be successful if you enjoyed the two character system?

I'm all right with either personally, but the two-character system is something that nobody else is really doing like RE is doing right now, so I guess I prefer to keep it. Especially for the couch coop.

With that being said they really need to work on their partner AI. It's been shit since RE5 and in this game it's no better. I just spent all of Invisible mode switching like a maniac because Natalia doesn't fucking point at enemies. Additionally, they are pretty terrible at dodging. It was smart to make Moira/Natalia auto-regen health but they should have considered something similar for Claire/Barry when you aren't controlling them.

Aside from people not knowing about the true ending I don't see much of a problem. It's not like 75 is an unfair score, though I'd personally rate it higher. I don't think Japanese companies pay attention to Metacritic, anyway.

the critical reception this game is getting is great, especially for a low-budget title, and I am enjoying right now, probably my favorite RE since 4, but I think with the reception this game is getting, I don't think we'll see a universe reboot for the series anytime soon, I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, I mean you build a universe up since the 90s, characters etc. rebooting it is always a risk, what do you guys think the future of the series will be after Rev 2, will they stick with current canon or possibly reboot, soft reboot etc.

Neiteio

the critical reception this game is getting is great, especially for a low-budget title, and I am enjoying right now, probably my favorite RE since 4, but I think with the reception this game is getting, I don't think we'll see a universe reboot for the series anytime soon, I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, I mean you build a universe up since the 90s, characters etc. rebooting it is always a risk, what do you guys think the future of the series will be after Rev 2, will they stick with current canon or possibly reboot, soft reboot etc.
I think RER2 shows they know the value of their current canon and how it's part of the appeal. I don't see them abandoning that anytime soon.

Neiteio

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11083646_10206415303771340_3306323899061136135_n.jpg?oh=bfd4654605f00dd8f7bc578b35aeccba&oe=55B902DF&__gda__=1438507314_98acb0103a4f6c364562401151ff59c4

"Excuse me ma'am, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord Jesus Christ?"[/QUOTE]
Whoa, there be spoilers in that screenshot

Also, I posted three shots like that on the previous page:

[url]http://abload.de/img/residentevilrevelatiowbsa8.jpg[/url]
[url]http://abload.de/img/residentevilrevelatio14sem.jpg[/url]
[url]http://abload.de/img/residentevilrevelatiogssxf.jpg[/url]

Soooooo creepy!

I think RER2 shows they know the value of their current canon and how it's part of the appeal. I don't see them abandoning that anytime soon.

do you think RE7 will continue with Jake or do you think we'll see Leon/Chris/Jill possibly return? another multiple campaign approach?

Neiteio

do you think RE7 will continue with Jake or do you think we'll see Leon/Chris/Jill possibly return? another multiple campaign approach?
Not sure. RE7 may be completely unrelated to this game in plot since another team has probably already been working on RE7 for a while. But we'll probably see the plot threads in RER2 revisited at some point.

Not sure. RE7 may be completely unrelated to this game in plot since another team has probably already been working on RE7 for a while. But we'll probably see the plot threads in RER2 revisited at some point.

was Jake liked by fans of the series, RE6 was a while ago I don't remember much was he well-recived? that Capcom would continue with him

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've never done hard math, but there are diminishing returns on repeating the same stage, so spamming a stage will net you less XP than doing a full gauntlet.

When I power level other characters for a skill I just do full gauntlets and set my level down by 4, you seem to get more XP 4 levels below the recommended, while still keeping the whole thing manageable. At 5 levels below recommended it starts to take a bit too long to clear the stage.

Hope that helps.

Yeah this is kinda what I'm doing already... just curious if anyone had done the math yet,

Neiteio

I made a gif. It's the first time I've done so using Photoshop.

Now if somebody could tell me how to photoshop Bish's avy onto that. That would be pretty hilarious I think.

http://i.imgur.com/VlZiNIb.gif[/QUOTE]
Spoilers... You should probably take out the image tags and add a warning. :-\

(Thanks for making this, though. Can you make one of [spoiler]Barry walking in slow-motion[/spoiler]?)

Top Bottom