• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Manu

Oh, what'd be the release order of that list? Man, this series is so complicated.

Just play the mainline games in release order. Anything else helps if you want to get deeper in the lore and story, but you can get the gist of everything by just playing 1-6 and the Revelations games.

EDIT: This also includes Code: Veronica.

Neiteio

This game was amazing. Out of all the Resident Evils I've played, it may actually be my favorite even though my fave character Chris isn't even in it. But it's got Claire!

The only mainline games I haven't played yet are 1, 2 and 3. I'm hoping for a retail release of REmaster in the future to at least play 1.

I don't like horror or zombies, but something about Resident Evil keeps me coming back. I think it's the characters, love the main cast.
Something I love about RE is it's completely guilt-free. You're either fighting mindless monsters, or madmen who have every intent of killing you and everyone else. (And said madmen always turn into monsters)

I seem to recall Mikami saying this was intentional, something that carried over into Vanquish with its robot enemies. Sure, all videogames are works of fiction, and guilt-free in that sense. Still, when you immerse yourself in a role, there can be a sense of "guilt," and RE gets around that with the guilt-free cannon fodder that are zombies and BOWs.

Playing as a likable cast of characters that feel capable of taking on the horrors around them is also empowering, even as the game robs the player of power in various ways. It's an intoxicating mix of tension and release, of give and take. :)

Neff

If I do play the original, I'm assuming it'd be better to play it before the Remaster (and leave some time in between them to prevent from getting burnt out). Anyone here have any experience with the DS port? How is it?

Yeah, that's a good idea. The REmaster is ready and waiting, the sooner you play it the better.

The DS version is great, but it suffers a big visual downgrade over the PSone and even Saturn versions, although it does have extra content and new puzzles (with some clever use of the stylus and microphone).

Claire may be from RE2, but in terms of references, it's mostly those three games to which direct connections are made.

There's at least one Code Veronica reference in there as well.

RE2 is essential. Non-negotiable.

Neiteio

Oh, uh... Well, it looked like a pretty tight situation! Can't blame her, I suppose!

(She atoned for her massacre by wearing booty shorts in RER2)

There's at least one Code Veronica reference in there as well.

RE2 is essential. Non-negotiable.
Haven't played RE2 or CV, so I didn't pick up the CV reference.

Watched a friend play through RE2 back in the day. Watched some videos of it recently, and... um, I think that game could use a remake.

(Also, as a reporter who has covered many high-profile court cases, that's the most unrealistic depiction of a police department ever)

Manu

Watched a friend play through RE2 back in the day. Watched some videos of it recently, and... um, I think that game could use a remake.

(Also, as a reporter who has covered many high-profile court cases, that's the most unrealistic depiction of a police department ever)

You really need to play RE2 yourself sometime, man. It still looks and controls great.

I usually replay 2 and 3 once a year. I actually do it on September in commemoration of the Raccoon City incident. I'm a fanboy like that.

Neff

The RPD was an old Raccoon City museum which was emptied and converted for police duty. Which is why it's a bit... decadent.

Haven't played RE2 or CV, so I didn't pick up the CV reference.

You can't consider yourself a fan of Resident Evil until you've played these games. It's scripture. So it is written, so shall it be done.

Neiteio

You can't consider yourself a fan of Resident Evil until you've played these games. It's scripture. So it is written, so shall it be done.
To be honest, I've never been a fan of the way the old games played. I definitely became a fan of the series with RE4. Before then, I just appreciated the lore, etc., by way of watching my friends play the games. I've played REmake but never felt compelled to dive deeper where the old-school games are concerned.

Speaking of REmake, I might pick up the HD remake soon. Buying Bloodborne at Target apparently gets you a $20 PSN card if you pay an extra $5.

Pilgrimzero

Beat it a again and got the good ending. Much more awesome!

One question:
When Moira shows up sh holds up some kind of book, what was that? Oh and dang Claire use the rocket launcher FIRST.

Haha, perfect XD

Those enemies are great. Do you know you can switch to Natalia to see them? It becomes a matter of switching to Natalia for a point of reference and then switching back to try and hit the enemy around that reference point. You can also shoot extinguishers or throw smoke bottles to expose their locations. They're fine.

Yea i've downed like 5 of them so far and only missed a couple of shots when I originally tried to kill them with the Samurai Edge. It's not that they are hard, it's that they are no fun to fight and can be a waste of valuable resources. I stand by what I said, invisible enemies in games a shit and show lack of creativity in design imo. Again....even the game creators knew this with Barry's dialogue just after you kill the first one.

Neiteio

Yea i've downed like 5 of them so far and only missed a couple of shots when I originally tried to kill them with the Samurai Edge. It's not that they are hard, it's that they are no fun to fight and can be a waste of valuable resources. I stand by what I said, invisible enemies in games a shit and show lack of creativity in design imo. Again....even the game creators knew this with Barry's dialogue just after you kill the first one.
No, the devs are not "conceding" anything with Barry's line. If you haven't noticed, the characters in these games express frustration with nearly ALL of the bosses. It has nothing to do with game design. It has to do with the story, which is that the monsters make their life a living hell, as they should.

And where game design is concerned, they're very well-designed. They're the first time an enemy has made me feel tense in an RE game in years. The bits where you're fighting them in a dark building with tight hallways and one spawns behind you is amazing.

What makes them especially well-done is their implementation. There are so many signs one is approaching: The distortion of the screen and its red color when they're right on top of you; the high-pitched noise that intensifies at their approach; the way you can expose their location with smoke bottles or by shooting extinguishers; and of course, the way you can switch to Natalia to locate them and form a reference point for Barry. And the experience of fighting them feels completely different depending on the situation.

For example, there are situations where you're under pressure from other circumstances (which I won't spoil, since if you're just in Episode 2, you haven't seen anything yet), and you'll have to quickly prioritize them, throwing a bomb in their general vicinity and hoping they get caught in the blast, or running to the opposite side while fending off other enemies or beating a time limit, and hoping you can zone them before they catch up.

If anything, they're an example of good game design. But you can agree to disagree.

Also, you get an achievement for killing one with a knife. Who needs a Samurai Edge!

LegendX48

Because someone mentioned Claire's butt looking bigger
and goooood
in the classic costume, I decided to look at her model in the character select screen on Raid. The rodeo and classic outfit versions seem to have wider hips than the default costume and that's cool with me.

Neiteio

and goooood
in the classic costume, I decided to look at her model in the character select screen on Raid. The rodeo and classic outfit versions have wider hips than the default costume and that's cool with me.
It's OK with me, as well, but I demand a story explanation for Claire's ever-changing booty.

RER3 should be set before RER2 and have Claire being injected with the Bootylicious Virus.

It changes her booty but only when wearing daisy dukes or clothes from her glory days.

Also, missed opportunity for a yoga pants costume. Always room for more DLC, Capcom.

No, the devs are not "conceding" anything with Barry's line. If you haven't noticed, the characters in these games express frustration with nearly ALL of the bosses. It has nothing to do with game design. It has to do with the story, which is that the monsters make their life a living hell, as they should.

And where game design is concerned, they're very well-designed. They're the first time an enemy has made me feel tense in an RE game in years. The bits where you're fighting them in a dark building with tight hallways and one spawns behind you is amazing.

What makes them especially well-done is their implementation. There are so many signs one is approaching: The distortion of the screen and its red color when they're right on top of you; the high-pitched noise that intensifies at their approach; the way you can expose their location with smoke bottles or by shooting extinguishers; and of course, the way you can switch to Natalia to locate them and form a reference point for Barry. And the experience of fighting them feels completely different depending on the situation.

For example, there are situations where you're under pressure from other circumstances (which I won't spoil, since if you're just in Episode 2, you haven't seen anything yet), and you'll have to quickly prioritize them, throwing a bomb in their general vicinity and hoping they get caught in the blast, or running to the opposite side while fending off other enemies or beating a time limit, and hoping you can zone them before they catch up.

If anything, they're an example of good game design. But you can agree to disagree.

Also, you get an achievement for killing one with a knife. Who needs a Samurai Edge!
You can still waste a whole clip on them even if you're constantly switching between characters. The only time they get really annoying is
in Barry's episode 3. That whole part Kind of highlights the negatives of having two characters. Definitely the weakest slice of the game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you want to fully appreciate the twists in RER2, just play the following:

- REmake HD
- Revelations 1
- RE5 + Lost in Nightmare

Claire may be from RE2, but in terms of references, it's mostly those three games to which direct connections are made.

I think watching RE Degeneration is a must too.

Neiteio

You can still waste a whole clip on them even if you're constantly switching between characters. The only time they get really annoying is
in Barry's episode 3. That whole part Kind of highlights the negatives of having two characters. Definitely the weakest slice of the game.
Are you talking about the
invisible enemies in the sluice
? If so, there are
fire extinguishers you can shoot that will allow Barry to see them without switching to Natalia

Duallusion

Finished it yesterday, got the good ending in my first run thanks to this thread, liked it, loved the design of the last boss (throwback to the first one in RE4?), addicted to raid, hope to see more DLC, cool/10.

But - and this has probably been discussed here more then once - why did Barry (ending spoilers)
just shrug off the fact there's another Alex in Natalia and just adopted her? I just knew there's gonna be an ominous post-credit scene and voila, there it was lol.

Finished both Chap. 2 scenarios earlier today. Things are getting more and more interesting. Did run into situations where I was really low on health/ammo, but I managed to pull through.

Arklite

Holy shit at The Struggle, I was not ready. The main game offers some stiff challenges in certain places but this mode is brutal. On the other hand I think this story has the most laughs with Moira and the old man's exchanges.

Finaika

and goooood
in the classic costume, I decided to look at her model in the character select screen on Raid. The rodeo and classic outfit versions seem to have wider hips than the default costume and that's cool with me.

How do you unlock Claire's classic costume?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Have to ask: Should I wait to do the extra episodes after I complete the main campaign?

Most definitely, both have some spoilers for the campaign and are best experienced afterwards. They're similar to Ada's Separate Ways from RE4 in that they show certain events in the game's narrative timeline from a different perspective, and do shed light on interesting story elements that explain certain things in the main campaign, but as such also contain big spoilers for the main campaign.

Also The Struggle is by far the most challenging thing in the game.

Guiberu

Anyone else having issues with the PC patch screwing with Alpha transparencies?

Since patching, all of the fog sprites and even blood splatters are solid gray for me. Framerate is much improved ; but I can't see shit because of big walls of fog everywhere :/

Are you talking about the
invisible enemies in the sluice
? If so, there are
fire extinguishers you can shoot that will allow Barry to see them without switching to Natalia
Yeah you can shoot the fire extinguishers but sometimes they move around them. And at the end of that section, just shooting the canister that Natalia can push down kills everything in front of the last gate. Like I mentioned, they're not really that bad, in fact I think the distortion effect is pretty cool. I think it's just that area in general. I really don't like it. It's so tedious. Every other part of the game I enjoyed playing multiple times except that one.

strafer

Finished the game last night.
Holy fuck, that slow mo Barry walk.

dem one liners

this fucking game

dat natalia smile

wouldn't mind Barry in RE7.

derFeef

How long is everyone needing for each episode/chapter?
Took me 2 hours yesterday for Claire/2 - if it keeps pace like that, I am going to take 15 hours for the complete game in my first playthrough.

strafer

How long is everyone needing for each episode/chapter?
Took me 2 hours yesterday for Claire/2 - if it keeps pace like that, I am going to take 15 hours for the complete game in my first playthrough.

Hard to tell since I was playing on Easy, I'm playing just for the story.

Sectus

One question:
When Moira shows up sh holds up some kind of book, what was that? Oh and dang Claire use the rocket launcher FIRST.

I think that
book is something Barry dropped at the end of episode 3 which Moira found, letting her know that Barry was on the island.

This game was amazing. Out of all the Resident Evils I've played, it may actually be my favorite even though my fave character Chris isn't even in it. But it's got Claire!

The only mainline games I haven't played yet are 1, 2 and 3. I'm hoping for a retail release of REmaster in the future to at least play 1.

So you've never played the real series and its best entries. It doesn't really matter how, just play RE2 and REmake, they are masterpieces. And if you didn't know, there's two other mainline games before 4, which is Zero and Code Veronica (X).
Also, there is a physical version of REmake to import, with english text. And there's a dozen of physical versions of RE2.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

One question:

That's barry's BSAA id badge card. He dropped it at the start of chapter 3 i believe.

she picked it up and then realised her dad has came for her, so she search for her dad as well.

Thanks for the help! Are the tank controls better anyways? Also, when you say Claire A/Leon B are those certain campaigns in the game or something?

RE2 has a pretty innovative system where you can play through the game once as Leon and once as Claire and, depending on the order you play them as, it changes things in the story a bit. They split up at the beginning of the game so you are essentially seeing the same events through two different perspectives. There are two different permutations:

1. Leon first and then Claire (Leon A/Claire B)
2. Claire first and then Leon (Claire A/Leon B)

These days the generally considered "canon" playthrough is Claire A/Leon B.

The original game shipped on two discs, a Leon Disc and a Claire disc. So if you buy the digital version off of PSN you will need to initiate the change disc prompt when you start the game because it defaults to Leon's disc on first start.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What's better on RE.net, one gold parts chest or 1250000 RM coins? The chest has to be really freaking good to justify 25000 points.

The gold chest has level 10-12 parts in it.

Honestly I find that more useful that gold which is piss easy to get, especially if you're leveling up a ton of characters.

News Bot

Banned
1. Leon first and then Claire (Leon A/Claire B)
2. Claire first and then Leon (Claire A/Leon B)

These days the generally considered "canon" playthrough is Claire A/Leon B.

The "canon" is all four scenarios, actually. The game was made so that players would play all of them to see the full story. Claire A/Leon B just has some of the more major events (Sherry infected, Ada's sacrifice, etc).

Classic Barry and REmake Barry are completely different characters. Rev2 basically canonized classic Barry.

Don't worry, none of the English versions are ever canon. REV2's English writers cared more about references to past mistranslations than plot consistency, since people found RE1 Barry hilarious.

This is a good point. Although it's arguable that neither iteration of the first game is truly canonized outside a fixed chain of events shared by both (or all three if you want to include Umbrella Chronicles I), and one specific outcome being set in stone out of a possible several.

I'd actually recommend playing both of the first REs to anyone interested anyway, they're both classics and different enough to surprise anyone playing for the first time.

This is also true. No version of BIO1 is actually canon. There is simply no way to reproduce the events confirmed canon, so it's pointless even trying to debate it. It hinges upon later games and supplemental material, but Barry's personality in the remake is his true personality, since it's also how he's written in BIO1's original Japanese script. All versions are worth playing because they're all pretty great.

I've spotted a few weird alterations to REV2's English version:

"Dhurgla" is gibberish. The Japanese is ドルーガ (Durga). A Hindi goddess.
Alex is referred to as "Madam Alex", "My Lady", "Our Lady" or "Lady Alex." Never once as Master Alex.
Stuart is referred to as "Sir/Lord Stuart" in Japanese. The respect for him is lost in English.
Uroboros is referred to as the "Blood of Darkness" or "dark blood" in Japanese.
Barry says the relationship between S.T.A.R.S. is never talked about with others.
The transfer ceremony is referred to as the "rebirth" or "transmigration" ceremony. Never transfer, which is wrong anyway.
Zabytij Island is not called "No.46." Fabricated by the translators.
The Kafka files are not excerpts, they are transcriptions
by Alex.

Alex in general seems to have a bit of a cult-like religious following.
The connotation is mostly lost in the English version. These are just from two files and the file titles, have yet to receive the full Japanese transcripts.

Zambatoh

I've spotted a few weird alterations to REV2's English version:

The connotation is mostly lost in the English version. These are just from two files and the file titles, have yet to receive the full Japanese transcripts.

That would explain the graveyard and it's puzzle.

As for Stuart though, the guy came off as a manservant of sorts. I think Lord or Sir would be a bit much in this case.

Neff

The connotation is mostly lost in the English version.

I think it came though well enough, like Zambatoh says, the tower underground really spells it out.

Also nice to see that
grovelling, awestruck assistants/butlers committing suicide to please their masters
is still a thing.

Hi guys,
I'm in the middle of my first playthrough of the game, and loving it from now. I've just finished claire's Ep 3 and looking at this topic, I think
I've choosen the bad ending
. Is there any way to
get the good ending once you finish the game, without having to replay it fully? Like playing Ep 3 Claire and then jumping to Ep 4 Barry or something like that?

ciD_Vain

Hi guys,
I'm in the middle of my first playthrough of the game, and loving it from now. I've just finished claire's Ep 3 and looking at this topic, I think
. Is there any way to
get the good ending once you finish the game, without having to replay it fully? Like playing Ep 3 Claire and then jumping to Ep 4 Barry or something like that?
Just replay episode 3 and do the good ending route

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hi guys,
. Is there any way to

I believe you do need to play through episodes 3 and 4 in a row to change your ending.

Nevermind looks like all you need to do is play claire episode 3 and then barry episode 4.

Neiteio

Hi guys,
. Is there any way to
Yep, if you want to replay for the good ending, you can just replay Claire's Episode 3 (skipping all of the enemies, if you wish) and then go straight to Barry's Episode 4.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Finally started playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 yesterday and am about to complete the first 2 episodes. Don't think I'm gonna play the last two because I was never fond of any of the campaigns in Resident Evil and I'm mostly a Mercenaries player. Plus I'm simply DYING to play and sink my teeth into Raid mode! I can't stand putting it off anymore!

Quick question though....can the BP Skill points you obtain from Raid Mode be applied to the campaign, and vice versa?

Manu

Finally started playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 yesterday and am about to complete the first 2 episodes. Don't think I'm gonna play the last two because I was never fond of any of the campaigns in Resident Evil and I'm mostly a Mercenaries player.

Wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Zambatoh

Finally started playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 yesterday and am about to complete the first 2 episodes. Don't think I'm gonna play the last two because I was never fond of any of the campaigns in Resident Evil and I'm mostly a Mercenaries player. Plus I'm simply DYING to play and sink my teeth into Raid mode! I can't stand putting it off anymore!

Quick question though....can the BP Skill points you obtain from Raid Mode be applied to the campaign, and vice versa?

You can convert BP into Raid Currency, but you can't do it the other way around.

Top Bottom