• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yeah I just watched the Quicklook, and the sound is horrible. I figured the direct capture must be the culprit, but I guess not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jufonuk said:
damn..the revelations demo the same?

hope revelations has the sound fixed

I'm pretty sure the Revelations demo pistol reuses the same assets/sounds as the standard pistol in Mercs.

Grampa Simpson said:
Are we sure it was Capcom and not just someone like TOSE stitching together pre-existing mercenaries modes?

Either either. Whoever did it butchered the weight and power that should be behind each gun. Its really not as satisfying to 'shoot things' as it should be.

hamchan

So I've decided to wait on this game because of the low reviews, save issue, no Leon and them charging $40 for what uses to be a bonus. Sure, I was going to buy it even with the last two factors but the first two pushed me back. I think I'll go replay RE4 and 5 for my fix and then buy this when it reaches BOMBA price.

fionel

wasnt gonna get this but saw a used copy for 2500 yen last night and caved in. Fortunately the original owner decided the game is not for him after just the tutorial stages lol

hatchx

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just noticed that with Cave Story 3D pushed back, there's nothing left to look forward to on the system until at least September IF Starfox 64 3D is supposed to come out!

Which is another reason why I picked RE Mercenaries up.

The 3DS really needs more games. I can't wait for them.

I might pick up Dead or Alive or Ghost Recon used late in the summer. 3DS really does have a piss-poor line-up. OOT and RE:Mercs will hopefully last me until the holiday rush.

I honestly think Nintendo expected Kid Icarus to fill this large gap, but it got delayed for the multiplayer/Sakurai's intent on perfection.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hatchx said:
I might pick up Dead or Alive or Ghost Recon used late in the summer.3DS really does have a piss-poor line-up. OOT and RE:Mercs will hopefully last me until the holiday rush.

I honestly think Nintendo expected Kid Icarus to fill this large gap, but it got delayed for the multiplayer/Sakurai's intent on perfection.

I hope this hanges soon with more games addded

hamchan said:
So I've decided to wait on this game because of the low reviews, save issue, no Leon and them charging $40 for what uses to be a bonus. Sure, I was going to buy it even with the last two factors but the first two pushed me back. I think I'll go replay RE4 and 5 for my fix and then buy this when it reaches BOMBA price.

This.

hamchan

jufonuk said:
I hope this hanges soon with more games addded
The drought ends in September once Star Fox comes out, then the line up is really quite stacked until the end of the year. Devil Survivor in August I guess too but that's only for America.

basik said:
how do I score a combo? got to the level 3 missions and dont think I've done it once.
Basically rack up kills within seconds of each other. If there's too long a pause between kills, the combo gets reset.

Just played two co-op matches. It was pretty fun, although my partner died both time, ending the games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
hamchan said:
The drought ends in September once Star Fox comes out, then the line up is really quite stacked until the end of the year. Devil Survivor in August I guess too but that's only for America.

when is mario 3ds?

what about Blazeblu ?? you are in the US? I hope this gets a UK release.. (ok fighting games on the 3DS don't work so well as mostly a single player experience and if you want a versus match you play online, usually meaning your home one, why not jsut play the console version?)

basik said:
add me:

0087-2317-5624

how do you get your FC?

haven't tried looking yet.. is it ingame or on a 3DS menu..

MooMoo

Arghhh Mission 4-1 is rough. I mean, the enemies aren't hard or anything but there's SO much extra time that I find it hard to keep the momentum up. Plus no one drops damn herbs rwar.

I added you basik =) My friend code is 4725-7960-2523

jufonuk

not tag worthy
basik said:
click the smiley face at the top on the home menu, then select your mii.

Mine is 2277-6685-7486 , UK will get Mercs on friday (hopefully if post is good)

also have SSFIV, DoA:D

MooMoo

jufonuk said:
Mine is 2277-6685-7486 , UK will get Mercs on friday (hopefully if post is good)

also have SSFIV, DoA:D
I'll add you too :p My friend code is above.
Also I have to say that the number of enemies has surprised me. I remember in RE5 that enemies tended to be numerous at the start, too numerous halfway through, and then run out as time progressed/towards the end but here they seem to be everywhere all the time.

JacksUsername said:
Really disappointed that you can't just select a map in multiplayer so far; being locked into the missions is terrible. Two of my online matches were on 1-3, which has barely any enemies and resorted to me and my partner just roaming around until we found them all.

The game is just missions as far as I know, but they have varying goals, and some can be extended seemingly indefinitely to where the clock doesn't even matter.

1-3 is a joke, it's a tutorial and really shouldn't have been duo-able. :p All you need to do is run forward and keep looking left and right, shooting into the alcoves until the 6(!) enemies are dead.

I'm at 3-5 now and so far there are only 3 Duo options; hopefully Chapter 4 and 5 have many more Duo missions, because right now, it's slim pickings.

Duo missions:

1-3
2-3
3-5
4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5
5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5
EX-1, EX-2, EX-3, EX-4, EX-5, EX-6, EX-7, EX-8, EX-9

22 total.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Here are some initial impressions based on my two hours with the game.

Now that I have this game, I can see all the flaws people have been listing. Apart from the graphics, it is not a technically good game. I would list them, but everyone has already touched on them. But I do want to reiterate the complaints about the sound, especially the guns. I fart better gun sounds daily. Good sound quality isn't needed to kill the enemies, but it would improve the experience.

The presentation issues are irritating. One problem I'm seeing is that it is cumbersome to navigate the menus. They do accept touch input which helps a little, but it is sill annoying. They do not even say what the objective of a mission is. Granted all the missions are pretty much the same, but I can see it being a big issue with the EX missions. One of my biggest issues is that there is no indication on how to unlock the skills. It tells you when you get one, but it does not even give a single clue as to how you got it. Nor does it state how to get other skills so you can work towards them. The game reeks of being rushed out and it lowers my opinion on it. I don't want to comment on the amount of content since I just got it, but it does already feel light on things to do.

Luckily, once I start shooting and beating the shit out of the infected, Mercs becomes fun. It does start slow. The first three tiers of missions are basically one overextended tutorial, which cuts into the number of real missions. They don't take that long to complete if you have played the older Mercs modes. I'm now at the level 4 missions, and I'm starting to enjoy myself more. The missions are now the classic time attack gameplay that I wanted in the first place. It plays exactly like the original Mercs mode, which is probably the best thing about the game. Try to kill everything while keeping time on the clock. It easy to learn, but in order to get those SS ranks, serious skill and strategy is required. I completed one mission thinking I was going to get at least an A rank. I got a C and got told to do the mission over again to beat it. (A mission requires a B to be completed.)

I'm still getting into the game, but so far, this is a solid 7/10 game. People who like the original Mercenaries mode will enjoy this the most, but I don't know if people who have no experience with it would put up with it. It's definitely not worth $40, but I was lucky enough to score it for $20, which feels about right. And given the shit this game is catching, the price of this is going to drop fast. It's looking to be a good diversion to last any 3DS owner through the upcoming drought, but once the good games start rolling in, I don't see this being interesting enough to bring me back.

Lucentto

Banned
Wow, fuck mission 5-5, what a pain. Beat on my second try though. Mercenaries still ends up being one of the best things I have played online.

MooMoo

basik said:
I keep getting 0 max combo every mission...dunno what I'm doing wrong.
Up until mission 3-X (not sure which one it is specifically), you can't perform combos. You'll know when you can start performing combos because one of the missions is dedicated to this/will actually mention comboing to you.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
basik said:
I keep getting 0 max combo every mission...dunno what I'm doing wrong.

Combos don't start until a specific mission in level 3. I forget which one, but you'll know it when the guy on the radio mentions combos.

Edit: Beaten.

matmanx1

Mission 4-1 is where it starts to get seriously fun. Krauser's loadout is mad fun on that level due to it being infinite ammo (bow + knife) so you get lots of chances for melee kills which adds +5 seconds to your clock every time.

I think the game is a blast, honestly.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The hate that this game is getting is a bit of a head-scratcher to me. I bought The Mercenaries 3D expecting a portable version of Resident Evil 5's Mercenaries mode, and that's exactly what I got.

There are noticeable improvements to the game play, with the additions of strafing, optional first-person aiming mode, and the touch screen item selection. There are more enemy types and bosses than RE5 Mercenaries. There are additional characters and levels too. There are now perks and customizable weapon load-outs. It doesn't feel as if anything has been downgraded from the console Mercenaries in this area.

The visuals are very good (possibly the best on the 3DS to date) and the sound quality is perfectly fine-- low-sound aside (which appears to be a 3DS issue; SSF4 and DOA are the same way), it sounds like Resident Evil 5, albeit at lower quality. The character voices sound "weird" because they are supposed to be talking through headsets, not out loud.

Save file-gate doesn't bother me. The Mercenaries 3D isn't the kind of game that is made to be started over from scratch. The focus is on scores, and I don't see the appeal of going back to unlock levels and characters/perks/items all over again over improving high scores. But it's still stupid that you cannot clear your save file, and I can certainly see how that would affect used games sales/lending the game out to others.

What is stupid is the lack of online leaderboards. This game really needs them. This appears to be a 3DS network limitation, as other online titles are missing leaderboards as well.

If you're looking for The Mercenaries in portable form, you won't be disappointed. Obviously your mile mileage may vary on whether or not you think The Mercenaries by itself is worth the $40 asking price, but if you've played this mode in RE5 before, you'll have a very good idea of what to expect. It does take a little while for things to get going, however, as the first few levels are all essentially training missions.

I don't know wtf I'm missing. I feel like a moron. I'm on 2-2 which is still basically tutorial, and I can't seem to kill all the enemies in the one minute they give you. It says something about a time bonus? Are those the big pink things I keep shooting? (To no effect?)

MooMoo

DidntKnowJack said:
I don't know wtf I'm missing. I feel like a moron. I'm on 2-2 which is still basically tutorial, and I can't seem to kill all the enemies in the one minute they give you. It says something about a time bonus? Are those the big pink things I keep shooting? (To no effect?)
The pink glowing column thingies are the time bonuses indeed; you have to run up and perform a physical attack to actually get the time bonus. Shooting won't work.

MooMoo

DidntKnowJack said:
LOL. Wtf? Did they even say that? I must have missed it. Thanks.
Haha, I had to double check this but "destroying" is the verb they use for how to activate time bonuses. Not exactly the best use of word choice. So it's Capcom's fault. Pretty sloppy of them, considering a good portion of the missions are tutorial levels.

Ridley327

Starting to finally get my mojo back; I'm really liking how much faster the game is in comparison to the other Mercenaries games.

The animation rendering is pretty distracting at times, I must say; it actually makes a certain clawed man really difficult to see in the distance since he animates about as well as an Atari 2600 title.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just tried out co-op. It's really fucking fun. I had no problem connecting, so maybe they got it ironed out. Our match was Krauser (me) + Rebecca on 4-1 (Village). We were killing baddies left and right, and we still only got an A. I bet it will be even better once everybody starts getting their skills to level 3. Then the real mayhem can commence.

watershed

Banned
Kevitivity said:
1.5 stars on Amazon. That seems about right to me.
Hopefully all these negative reviews result in poor sales and a change in practice for capcom. Between this and the whole Megaman Legends prologue thing they are finding lots of ways to turn off their fans.

A little off topic but what are the chances of RE: Revelations being ported to the Vita? Since its using Framework Mobile and is scalable do people see this happening?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
artwalknoon said:
Hopefully all these negative reviews result in poor sales and a change in practice for capcom.
Or, we'll end up with another Wii-esque situation where Capcom treats the game as a test.

Shoogoo

JacksUsername said:
Really disappointed that you can't just select a map in multiplayer so far; being locked into the missions is terrible. Two of my online matches were on 1-3, which has barely any enemies and resorted to me and my partner just roaming around until we found them all. I'm at 3-5 now and so far there are only 3 Duo options; hopefully Chapter 4 and 5 have many more Duo missions, because right now, it's slim pickings.

But.. You can't play all the maps in coop (duo or whatever)? Why not?

Defunkled said:
Would those who have it think this game is worth $15? It's $30 at K-Mart next week and I have a $15 coupon.
Absolutely. Even with all the problems people have with the game, from the non-erasable save files to the underwhelming audio, the game is pretty damn fun. And I've only played it solo. Hell yeah it's worth it for $15.

Teknoman

Kevitivity said:
1.5 stars on Amazon. That seems about right to me.

Nah its no where near that bad. So far its 7-8 territory as far as gameplay and graphics go. Sound gets knocked a notch (it should be good in surround sound regardless of headphones, like every other quality 3DS game, seriously find a good spot to kick back and the normal surround sound option in Zelda and Pilotwings is amazing) since no survival horror based game should have weak sounding weapons or attacks.

People are just complaining about the no save reset i'm sure.

EDIT: And if CVX says its fun, its fun. The guy knows his Resident Evil.

NateDrake

Teknoman said:
Nah its no where near that bad. So far its 7-8 territory as far as gameplay and graphics go. Sound gets knocked a notch (it should be good in surround sound regardless of headphones, like every other quality 3DS game, seriously find a good spot to kick back and the normal surround sound option in Zelda and Pilotwings is amazing) since no survival horror based game should have weak sounding weapons or attacks.

EDIT: And if CVX says its fun, its fun. The guy knows his Resident Evil.
That is exactly it. If that issue never came up then people would be reacting to the game in a completely different manner.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
artwalknoon said:
and then revelations goes from being a 3ds exclusive to a vita exclusive?!!!

Unless Nintendo have their hand in exclusivity, if Vita comes out the gate hard dont be surprised if Capcom spread the love across both platforms.

Fusebox

Banned
Shancake said:
So its out now? Went into EB today but they confirmed that they had recalled it :(

EB recalling a game that hasn't been released? Sure sounds like the kind of thing an EB employee would dribble...

Shancake

Fusebox said:
EB recalling a game that hasn't been released? Sure sounds like the kind of thing an EB employee would dribble...

Sorry I meant in Australia! They confirmed VIA their twitter account and instore that they were recalling due to not being able to resell it.

from their twitter:

EBGamesAus
Given the amount of people that return, trade,& lend games 2 their friends, we have made the decision to remove it in their best interests:(
2 hours ago

shancake_
That sucks ofor people like me who don't sell or trade my games... Most people wouldn't care
2 hours ago

EBGamesAus
Hey Shan, We've removed the game from sale as a service to our customers as we were not aware of it's replay limitations until recently :)
2 hours ago

watershed

Banned
EatChildren said:
Unless Nintendo have their hand in exclusivity, if Vita comes out the gate hard dont be surprised if Capcom spread the love across both platforms.

If that happens it will make resisting the vita even harder. I'm really digging the direction of Revelations, looks to combine the best of RE4, not 5, with some old school scares. The improved visuals, larger screen space, and better control options (expected if on vita right?) would make an enticing proposition but the 3d on the 3ds is very cool too. I find it difficult going back to 2d after playing in glasses free 3d.

EatChildren

Teknoman said:

I'm complaining because the abysmal sound quality hurts the weight of weapons and thus makes killing things less enjoyable than it could (and should) be. I'm also complaining because the game's general structure and presentation is clumsy, and its hard to shake the feeling the whole thing was relatively half arsed.

That doesn't mean the gameplay itself isn't fun, because it is. Mercs is great and thus this is great too. But I'm not going to pretend that its without some glaring flaws. Not having Leon/Ada/Shiva stinks of holding back content for no reason, and no standard skirmish option is truly baffling.

Top Bottom